• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Fast characters are generally problematic match-ups for Robin. Fighting a half-decent Sheik or Greninja is a special kind of hell for me, haha. I'd say the best way to use Arcfire against faster characters is to use it to try and wall them out and rely more on Elthunder or Arcthunder to harass them from afar. A stored Thoron can also make some of these faster characters a little hesitant to approach, and force people to play more defensively than they otherwise would. You won't get any easy follow-ups like with Arcfire (unless you're really close on connecting the Arcthunder), but a fast character getting in on you and putting up fast and consistent pressure is not something Robin has that much of a response to, besides their neutral air.

It's not just Robin. Sheik is a nightmare match-up for Palutena as well: If you don't read them HARD then you basically lose. Greninja doesn't tend to give me much issue on anyone I've played as but then again, maybe I've just not fought a good one yet :p

Well, if you're serious about becoming good, here's some more drastic measures that'll make you get better A LOT that I basically learned from getting super good at Soul Calibur.

* Find a group of people to regularly play
Preferably they should be better than you but equal works too. For Glory won't do this for you as it's too mixed: you need consistency to get better initially. I'd personally prefer a group in real life as it makes it easier to talk about stuff during the fights and for easier demonstrations but if your situation doesn't allow for it then it's probably a good idea to friend up with some gaffers. When I say regularly, I mean regularly too. Once a week or the like is too little. It doesn't have to be every day but the closer you get to that, the better :p

* Know your range
Ideally, if you want to get to crazy good levels at a fighting game, you want to know as many moves down to as ridiculous detail as possible. You could look at hitbox pictures if you like but it's not really necessary: the key is being able to 'feel' it in the moment (thinking takes too long for such minutiae during actual play :p ) Obviously you'll want to start with the character you actually play first though and the way I did this back in my Soul Calibur days was I would pick a move and go to town with it. I'd go into practice and then try to hit the dummy from as far away as possible with it to build up experience of eye-balling the range. You can quiz yourself by running away from the opponent then approaching until you think you're at the farthest possible range you'll hit. If it does hit then congrats, if you can get the same distance and move a pixel away and have it miss then EXTRA congrats: you want to squeeze every pixel out of a move's range :3

* Personal Challenges
Too often people get stuck in a rut of doing what feels safe or comfortable. If you want to learn something intimately though, you're going to have to use it well outside of it's comfort zone. The way I handled this was personal challenges. Against people I felt equal to (or better than) I'd often announce that i was going to set myself a challenge. Most of the time it was "I'm only going to hit you using this one single move" though I would sometimes do other silly stuff like "I won't block at all this fight" or even "I will always announce the next attack I will use"
The most important personal challenge is denying yourself moves you rely too heavily on though. For example, in Soul Calibur my nightmare went from strong to insane when I learned to fight with him entirely without using his sword. By taking away from myself the thing that I leaned on the most, my overall playstyle improved, especially when i reintroduced them back into my game again and as an added bonus there are now some people in the world who instinctively flinch if you say the phrase "Kicks of doom time!" XD
Just be sure that the people you're fighting with won't take it to heart when you pummel them while doing this :p
Against players significantly better than you, then it might not always be a good idea to do this as you're already struggling against them as it is without self-imposed restrictions. That said, when fighting a better opponent don't be afraid to try utterly insane things: Worst case scenario? They won't work. Best case scenario, though, they can often turn the tide and may even bolster your playstyle/repetoire in unexpected ways.

* Always try to find ways to lose :p
Ok, this might sound weird but simply put, if you DO get good and start winning all the time then you're basically going to stagnate. You need to start either finding better opponents or expanding into less comfortable areas like playing new characters or doing more and more crazy personal challenges. Winning might be a goal to some, but if you're winning most of the time then it can be very boring and you're probably not learning anything. Do everything you can to make matches challenging for yourself, just be careful not to make your opponent think you're not taking them seriously as that's just not nice ^.^;

* Don't fight people worse than you if you can help it
If you fight someone who's worse than you, especially by a noticeable margin, you will develop bad habits and actually get worse. I'm being utterly serious about this.
So, some of your friends aren't too hot at the game but still want to play? Luckily there IS a way to get better with those who are behind you on the curve of mastery and that's to teach them rather than fight them :3 Surprisingly, the simple act of trying to explain how you play and going through it with someone will often open your eyes to things you've been taking for granted and can often lead to some interesting new discoveries you can fold back into your playstyle to bolster it. It can help so much that i'd honestly suggest you seek out people to train up when you feel you have sufficient knowledge to share as the differences can be pretty huge and, hey, the more people you can bring up to your level, the bigger your pool of worthwhile opponents will be ;D

* Nothing is 'cheap'
At the end of the day, you're not making the game and you're not the designer so worrying about balance is pointless. Use the tools you have. Too many people hide behind accusations of 'cheapness' rather than learning to actually deal with things and some even handicap their game by not using something, ever, because someone somewhere thought it was 'cheap'. Don't fall into these traps. Use everything and learn to overcome everything. It's surprising how often something that is 'cheap' turns out to be a fairly basic tactic that's easily overcome once you work out it's often glaring weakness and you'll be a better player, heck a better PERSON, for having run that gauntlet too :3

* Question everything! :D
If someone kicks your ass with something and you don't fully understand it, ask them about it. If a character gives you trouble then talk to people who main that character to find out what they struggle against and even give the character a shot yourself just to get a 'feel' for things like their weight, speed and some of their moves ranges/nuances. Watch videos of other people playing your character to see if they're doing anything new or interesting you don't already do or if they somehow accomplish something you do in a different manner. Always be looking for answers and life will be a lot more generous in giving you them :3

Nice post! :)

Tom_Cody

Well, if you're serious about becoming good, here's some more drastic measures that'll make you get better A LOT that I basically learned from getting super good at Soul Calibur.

* Find a group of people to regularly play

* Know your range

* Personal Challenges

* Always try to find ways to lose :p

* Don't fight people worse than you if you can help it

* Nothing is 'cheap'

* Question everything! :D
Thanks! This was helpful.

I don't have access to many (or really any) IRL opponents but you post has inspired me to try to seek some out.

Apparently there is an NYC Smash Meet-up group, which is probably a good place for me to start.
http://www.meetup.com/Smash-Club-New-York

And even before I find new human opponents, I can still set "Personal Challenges" in my CPU matches.

Nice post! :)

Thanks! This was helpful.

I don't have access to many (or really any) IRL opponents but you post has inspired me to try to seek some out.

Apparently there is an NYC Smash Meet-up group, which is probably a good place for me to start.
http://www.meetup.com/Smash-Club-New-York

And even before I find new human opponents, I can still set "Personal Challenges" in my CPU matches.

You're welcome, thanks for taking the time to read my wafflings! :D
The NYC meetup sounds like an awesome idea! I hope it provides some decent opponents for you and just turns out to be fun in general :3

As for the CPU personal challenges, it's a good idea and something I forgot to mention. If my usual fighting friends were busy and I felt the need to practice I'd sometimes just slap the CPU training dummy up to max difficulty and try out some personal challenges to get better with select moves or the like. It won't help you develop your mindgames but it should at least help develop the tools that'll help you get into people's heads in the first place such as spacing and unorthodox move usage :D

I still can't deal with moderately good Little Macs and Rosalinas on For Glory. What I wouldn't give for some stages with platforms in that mode. Also in For Glory, I'm finding that either I can easily win battles or that people are way better than me and just crush me. There is no in between.

JoeInky

So I'm being a bit of a character hipster and picking Zelda for this females only tournament because she's an awful character and practically noone else is going to pick her, does anyone want to do some 1v1s so I can learn her a bit better?

FC is 4596-9442-7695, great opportunity to be able to completely destroy me.

(no items obviously, 2 stock, 5 minutes)

emb

I'd never played a good Rosalina until yesterday. Had a mirror match and damn is she annoying.
I felt them same way the first time I ditto'd another Sheik. Like suddenly you realize why you can get away with so much; the character is really good/annoying.

One thing I try to think of when playing (as any character, but I tend to gravitate to the more obnoxious ones), what would be really annoying right now if I was the other person, playing against this stupid character? What would really make me mad?

I haven't seen any Chiko dittos yet, but I imagine we'll be seeing a decent bit of them in the future.

Kyzon

I need to record some of these crazy things that are happening in for glory.
Robin is damn fun!!! I just killed some Japanese player with Nosferatu.

Then the next stock he got star'd by me throwing the Nosferatu book upwards as he recovered from another life steal.

The game froze as he became a star, then when I got back to the Lobby he was gone.

R.I.P. his 3DS

So I'm being a bit of a character hipster and picking Zelda for this females only tournament because she's an awful character and practically noone else is going to pick her, does anyone want to do some 1v1s so I can learn her a bit better?

You forget that I Main Zelda ;)

Can't play now though. Gotta go feed the gf for her bday :3

Later maybe :D

Flowmoney

1590 4823 0640

You host the room for the matches.

Actually, fighting games are packed with cheapness. They're absolutely loaded with the shit. Street Fighter 4 has a huge portion of its metagame based around knocking people over and making it hard as hell for them to block on wakeup, to the point that Ultra introduced a new mechanic to nerf some of the setups. The issue is whether something is overpowered or not. Plenty of things are cheap, it doesn't mean they're unbalanced. You have your own cheap attacks or tactics too. The idea isn't that nothing is cheap. Smash Bros is cheap as hell. The real thing to realize is that there's no such thing as 1v1 Only No Edgeguard/ No Intercept Honorable Duel. You aren't going to get that, so don't handicap yourself by playing a character who you think of as or playing in a way you think is more "honorable" or "legitimate."

Fuck Rosalina though

jorgejjvr

im getting a bit turned off by the 3ds version, i dont play it as much, still hyped for the wii u version tho, bayo will make it easier to wait for! Is it just me??

Kyzon

I think it gives you some horizontal movement speed in the air...
But... yeah, that's kinda dumb.

You get a baby slide in the air, and it's nowhere near anything that you can use to recover.

In comparison, in Melee you could easily fire Mewtwo's Shadow Ball behind you to zip across the air. Then still have your teleport for more recovery

im noticing a trend in for glory... I'm always losing now... what frustrates me is not that I'm losing, its that I need to get these bastards to nearly 200 damage to just land a single kill. This wasn't a problem before, is there something that I'm missing that I can't survive at that high damage but they can? I just stopped playing now, I was getting far too frustrated on that. How the hell am I going to win if I need to get em to +160 every time just to land 1 kill but nearly everyone can kill me from around +100. btw, I mostly using Greninja, Bowser Jr, and Duck hunt.

JoeInky

Hitting someone with rollout in midair offstage just makes you spin helplessly until you die.

Pretty dumb. I'm sure it's always been like this but still.

So when's Little Mac gonna get banned from online matches?

little mac isn't that bad. Anytime I go against little mac I just pick my anti mac character, The one true king, DeDeDe. Smack em till they're at like 40sh, suck em up and walk off the stage then throw them out, and finally, recover back to the stage. Ive only wen't against one Mac who beat my DeDeDe. But I do admit I hate fighting little mac, he's such a pain in the ass. Sometimes I just stop playing after going against mac like 3 times in a row or something, he's just boring to go against.

Cedric

im getting a bit turned off by the 3ds version, i dont play it as much, still hyped for the wii u version tho, bayo will make it easier to wait for! Is it just me??

I feel you, I'm still playing a lot but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my ability to control my character. Too many SDs, and these days I'm scared of mashing the control stick cause it seems looser than before. Can't wait to have that GC controller

Top Bottom