• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

emb

There's not much of a general consensus for anyone, other than some standouts toward the top and a couple toward the bottom. Villager isn't really in either group.

My general impression of Villager is that she's really strong, but doesn't quite measure up with the best characters.

Who

Banned
I've been maining villager and think he/she is a blast to play with. What I like is that he has 2 really great recoveries and like 4 moves that kill. His fair is awesome and unlike any other character and the Lloyd rocket + tree is great for edge guarding.

EDIT: I still suck against GAF but does anyone wanna 1v1?

Mix that up with these tilts and you have some good ways to counter an opponent looking to shield grab or move in around your airs.

Actually, just thought I'd pick this bit out to point out that if your opponent manages to powershield one of the forward tilt hits, the window until the next hit is large enough for them to throw you if in range, or hit you with some of the faster attacks available.
I was furious when a very competent Mario did this to me in For Glory because the whole reason I'd forward-tilted him was to try and catch him out on his shield-grabbing and spot-dodging shenanigans :p

I love the Villager regardless of his/her quality. Everything about the character just clicks immensely with me.

Nothing like landing a successful Timber. Or Pocket. Or bowling ball.

KirbyKid

Actually, just thought I'd pick this bit out to point out that if your opponent manages to powershield one of the forward tilt hits, the window until the next hit is large enough for them to throw you if in range, or hit you with some of the faster attacks available.
I was furious when a very competent Mario did this to me in For Glory because the whole reason I'd forward-tilted him was to try and catch him out on his shield-grabbing and spot-dodging shenanigans :p

True.

But almost nothing can stop a well executed perfect shield counter strategy. Even in brawl you can buffer a jab we a handful of characters to attack through MK's Mach tornado only after perfect shielding one of the hits.

I've been playing smash late at night online every night this week. Is there somewhere on GAF that has organized the FC sharing?

I'll be busy in the next few days preparing for Absolute Battle 5 and running the indiecircuit.org tournaments. After that, I'll be smashing regularly online. I want to play a few people here.

True.

But almost nothing can stop a well executed perfect shield counter strategy. Even in brawl you can buffer a jab we a handful of characters to attack through MK's Mach tornado only after perfect shielding one of the hits.

I've been playing smash late at night online every night this week. Is there somewhere on GAF that has organized the FC sharing?

I'll be busy in the next few days preparing for Absolute Battle 5 and running the indiecircuit.org tournaments. After that, I'll be smashing regularly online. I want to play a few people here.
There's a file in the OP with FCs, but who knows how many people are still active. It's better to just ask here. My FC is in my GAF profile - add me and PM me your code for some matches.

Plus, in a week this thread will be a ghost town. :)

emb

True.

These is a Google Doc some where... possibly linked in the OP.

Since both parties have to add though, I generally find it more effective to just ask for a match here. It's hit or miss, but it seems like a stronger option than PMing any of the dozens of people that added themselves to the list a month or so ago.

I'm new to Smash and only have played a few characters so far, but I've been having a lot of fun with Ike.

What tier is Ike? I also don't plan on playing hardcore competitive or anything.

emb

I'm new to Smash and only have played a few characters so far, but I've been having a lot of fun with Ike.

What tier is Ike? I also don't plan on playing hardcore competitive or anything.
No tiers yet.

Ike seems to have issues with slow movement and attacks, plus weak horizontal recovery. But being able to kill early is a pretty nice attribute in this game. Play whoever you like. If you ever reach a point where you feel limited by your character, then switch if you want. Don't let tiers bother you about it.

KirbyKid

There's a file in the OP with FCs, but who knows how many people are still active. It's better to just ask here. My FC is in my GAF profile - add me and PM me your code for some matches.

Plus, in a week this thread will be a ghost town. :)

These is a Google Doc some where... possibly linked in the OP.

Since both parties have to add though, I generally find it more effective to just ask for a match here. It's hit or miss, but it seems like a stronger option than PMing any of the dozens of people that added themselves to the list a month or so ago.

Thanks guys. Let's get the most out of this soon-to-be ghost town!

KirbyKid (Richard) : 3265-5068-2177

Swtiching A/B with X/Y would drive me crazy to no end. :p Whatever works for you though. Switching L and R makes sense though, since Z/R on the GCN/64 controller was always on the right side of the controller. On a Cube controller though, I use R for shield and of course Z for grab, so I expect both to be on the right finger. Having them on separate shoulder buttons is weird to me.

Personally I tend to leave my controls as the defaults. That way if I'm ever at another setup I don't have to try and switch them.

Thanks for the answer. I guess now that I'm more familiar with controls (not buttons layout but how to perform some more complicated moves) I can try default and if not ok for me I'll have to change on my Wii U and every time I play on another Wii U too (won't happen a lot sadly).

I think settings can be tied to an Amiibo (I'll have to check) but if yes that's just a perfect justification to buy more lol

The big thing with Ike is mastering fastfall nair. It's very safe, has good range, and provides good knockback. I would say ~70% of what you do should be fastfall nair. If it hits, at low percentages you can combo into your 3-hit jab sequence. If it is blocked, go into the jab sequence anyway. If the jab sequence is getting blocked, stop short of the third hit and go for a grab instead.

That's my Ike 101 lesson.

cmChimera

Chû Totoro;138699097 said:
Thanks for the answer. I guess now that I'm more familiar with controls (not buttons layout but how to perform some more complicated moves) I can try default and if not ok for me I'll have to change on my Wii U and every time I play on another Wii U too (won't happen a lot sadly).

I think settings can be tied to an Amiibo (I'll have to check) but if yes that's just a perfect justification to buy more lol

I've been playing Smash since 64, and I switched A/B to X/Y. It was simply more comfortable on the 3DS. I plan on using the Gamecube controller and Wii U Pro controller for the Wii U version, and likely won't change the controls on there (unless they put grab on the left side instead of shield.)

emb

Thanks guys. Let's get the most out of this soon-to-be ghost town!

KirbyKid (Richard) : 3265-5068-2177
Cool. If we're both on one evening hopefully I'll try to fight you.
The big thing with Ike is mastering fastfall nair. It's very safe, has good range, and provides good knockback. I would say ~70% of what you do should be fastfall nair. If it hits, at low percentages you can combo into your 3-hit jab sequence. If it is blocked, go into the jab sequence anyway. If the jab sequence is getting blocked, stop short of the third hit and go for a grab instead.

Ike can also autocancel his air dodge and then jab right after. It's a small thing, but it took me a while to adjust to it and start reacting.
the best way to balance is to make everyone overpowered
Brawl Minus does exactly that, and it's way too much fun.

Thank you! Is there a database somewhere that has tips/playstyle/pros/cons/etc. for all the characters?

SoldnerKei

Vods.co is also a great resource. It basically collects Smash videos and makes it easier to sort through them.

first time I see this, nice...

just a week and 1 day more to enjoy Smash 4 in HD, and still I haven't completed the challenge board on the 3DS, and just have 1 smooth lander shoes >_> I want a badge!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gonna be uploading some of the matches me and Karsticles had last night. Most of them my victories because I'm lame. And a match against a JP Bowser because the way the match went was kinda awesome yet stupid at how easy it was. That said Karsticles is the better player since he actually won most of the matches I think? Quality will not be super great though since recording 3DS gameplay using another 3DS is my way of doing things.

Cool. If we're both on one evening hopefully I'll try to fight you.

Ike can also autocancel his air dodge and then jab right after. It's a small thing, but it took me a while to adjust to it and start reacting.

Brawl Minus does exactly that, and it's way too much fun.
Autocancel with what?

Thank you! Is there a database somewhere that has tips/playstyle/pros/cons/etc. for all the characters?
There's smash boards, but everything I know about Ike came from watching one Ike player get second place at a recent tournament. That's how I tend to learn characters.

Gonna be uploading some of the matches me and Karsticles had last night. Most of them my victories because I'm lame. And a match against a JP Bowser because the way the match went was kinda awesome yet stupid at how easy it was. That said Karsticles is the better player since he actually won most of the matches I think? Quality will not be super great though since recording 3DS gameplay using another 3DS is my way of doing things.
Oh man. These are going to be matches where I run into Dedede's fsmash over and over, aren't they? I was always trying to run into Ike's counter when I did those, but the counter never came out. -_-

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh man. These are going to be matches where I run into Dedede's fsmash over and over, aren't they? I was always trying to run into Ike's counter when I did those, but the counter never came out. -_-

Got to admit that the Fsmash connecting with that Quick Draw was amazing. My favorite thing so far was the Dedede suicide win.

Although the Ganondorf Shield Break finisher is up there.

PK Gaming

shiek is not even that great

she's just fast. can't kill for shit unless you get hit by a down b.

as the game evolves she's going to drop down the tiers

I think lesser characters should get buffed to her level, but calling for nerfs are ridiculous I think. What's so great about Sheik that needs to be nerfed? She is a very balanced character imo.

She kind of is

-She has top class damage racking ability
-Arguably the best neutral in the game (she doesn't really have to respect anyone)
-Top class mobility
-A solid recovery
-Frame traps
-Excellent anti-zoning tools
-All the tools needed to be a top notch rushdown character

She's somewhat bad at KOIng on the ground, but it doesn't matter. She'll get you to 160% per stock if she has to. It's not exactly a daunting task given her skillset.

Sheik is very, very good.

JoeInky

Also it's somewhat worth mentioning that Ike's Quick Draw doesn't put him into special fall on hit if you still have a second jump.

Still a weird decision.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Also it's somewhat worth mentioning that Ike's Quick Draw doesn't put him into special fall on hit if you still have a second jump.

Still a weird decision.

Wish the same thing applied to Ganondorf. Would help his recovery.

------------------

Sheik is very good actually. I don't find the character good to use on a 3DS though. Needs more precision based controls. Kinda how I feel with Meta Knight.

Got to admit that the Fsmash connecting with that Quick Draw was amazing. My favorite thing so far was the Dedede suicide win.

Although the Ganondorf Shield Break finisher is up there.

You better be uploading some of those matches when I used Bowser to balance things out against me messing around with random select. :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You better be uploading some of those matches when I used Bowser to balance things out against me messing around with random select. :p

I saved the one Bowser mirror match where you won. I think that's the only one I saved where you won. I should really clear out my old replays. So I can save all of them really.

emb

Autocancel with what?
I mean just do the air dodge as soon as he leaves the ground. Some characters can do that and the air dodge will end soon enough that it's over before they hit the ground, so there's no air dodge landing lag associated.

There's still a small window to punish it before landing, but it's pretty tough if you don't expect it and he throws out a fast move like jab afterward, or just grabs.

Man I was getting my ass kicked by some bowser jr this morning. If only there wasn't much lag. It's miles ahead of what it was like on the Wii though.

Fandangox

Really wish you could add people after games in For Glory.

Been having like 20+ falcon dittos with someone named Chris. We even taunted twice at the beginning of every match.

It was great.

emb

Really wish you could add people after games in For Glory.

Been having like 20+ falcon dittos with someone named Chris. We even taunted twice at the beginning of every match.

It was great.
One possible option: you can put contact info in your profile message, and check other people's profiles after the match to see if they did. I ran across a good play the other day with a Smashboards user name there. Meant to pm him, but then I haven't really cared to go out of the way adding people since the patch news. Once it hits I'll just hold off until Wii U, since I'm too lazy to back up the couple of replays I'd like to keep. One of my IRL friends has u/[his name] to indicate how to find him on Reddit. With some unique usernames, you can also just Google their name (plus possibly the state or country) and send them a friend request if they're on a forum or anything. GAF name might work for your profile, but registration here is a little exclusive... probably not the easiest way to find you.

SoldnerKei

I often taunt when I begin a match, with Capt Falcon is mandatory, it's a practice I carried from Dark Souls, if they bow, bow back P:

Top Bottom