• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Sigmaah

How do I make any stage FD form? It says FD form when I select a stage but it doesn't come out to be FD unless it's FD lmao.

Neiteio

ZeRo had an AMA on Reddit the other day and said that the only stages that should be tournament legal is Battlefield and Final Destination, not even FD versions of other stages because they aren't all the same. What's people's opinion of that? I don't get it honestly.

Source
ZeRo is a funny little man

Wanderer5

Beaten the master core on 7.0 with Iggy, and got like 6 challenges unlocked from that run, then Game and Watch came in.XD Only got Ganondorf left to unlocked. Bowser Jr is pretty much my favorite character heh.

Gleethor

ZeRo had an AMA on Reddit the other day and said that the only stages that should be tournament legal is Battlefield and Final Destination, not even FD versions of other stages because they aren't all the same. What's people's opinion of that? I don't get it honestly.

Source

I have a hard time believing that ALL FD mode stages wouldn't be tournament legal.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How do I make any stage FD form? It says FD form when I select a stage but it doesn't come out to be FD unless it's FD lmao.

If the icon says "Normal Form", then you're playing Final Destination.

You see, that icon is showing what form will happen when you press X...

Blizzard

Banned
I <3 For Glory. It adds so much life to the game for those of us with friends with 3DS's in real life.
I would play gaf more but I'm scared.
I'm really glad Sakurai went with it. Not necessarily because of the competitive aspect, though that is nice. Not because I don't want battlefield versions of all stages. Battlefield versions of all stages would be awesome to have as well!

BUT, if we didn't have For Glory, think how many stages would be super irritating to play? That's almost the only thing I am really disappointed with, in the 3DS version. I'm all for variety, but too many stages have a boss that shows up all the time, a really irritating transform mechanic, and/or they keep scrolling.

I'm glad there is at least a simple version of everything for the music and variety. Better than nothing!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Source

Pro players shouldn't organize tournaments for many many reasons. They usually have insane ideas about what's OP, UP, and should not be allowed.

I <3 For Glory. It adds so much life to the game for those of us with friends with 3DS's in real life.
I would play gaf more but I'm scared.

There are plenty of novices in GAF who spam dash attacks like myself.

Codeblue

Source

Who cares if all the FDs aren't identical, and what's wrong with Yoshi's or Ferox? Transforming stages have been legal in the past. It seems like a good way to make the game boring, but nothing else.

Also, I think it should be 3 stock at least. He's on point with the Pikachu G&W thing though, that needs to be banned.

mrhej

UnMGQ0Y.gif

This made me laugh far more than it should.

Neiteio

No one can say Sakurai doesn't support the competitive players when he added a dedicated 1v1 no items mode with Final Destinations versions of every stage. My mind is still spinning from that wonderful bombshell in the April Direct, and I've played 140+ matches in the mode now, lol.

Wanderer5

Source

They aren't all the same in what? I don't get it lol, it the same FD layout.

It's a shame that custom moves aren't allowed in For Glory. Just having the Quick Missile would make Luigi worlds better in that mode.

No one can say Sakurai doesn't support the competitive players when he added a dedicated 1v1 no items mode with Final Destinations versions of every stage. My mind is still spinning from that wonderful bombshell in the April Direct, and I've played 140+ matches in the mode now, lol.

I think he was more trying to appease the people who only wanted to play Brawl's online that way, not actual competitive players. For Glory's rules are a bit too "Fox only, Final Destination, no items" to really be for competitive players. Only being able to play on a totally flat stage really does cause balance issues.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm debating retiring my Little Mac, for the safety of my 3DS, until the Wii U version is out. He's got some great tech, which, unfortunately, worries me that it'd kill my circle pad. I already get worried doing roll cancel grabs, and now that this has been discovered, yeah. We Fox now.
On the otherhand...I'd love to try to implement all these kick-ass tricks into play, implemented roll-cancel grabs already made my playtime a lot more fun. But I just don't want it to kill my 3DS, it's too god damn intense.

Mumei

I'm not up for playing right now, but I'm re-posting my friend code for anyone who wants to add me. If you've added me, please quote so I know to add you (or send me a PM, either works for me)!

0576-4860-2653

random25

Source

FD variants add more strategy on the game. Like Wily's Castle FD can be an advantage to characters like Sheik, Greninja and Falcon. And some have longer platforms than others.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's a shame that custom moves aren't allowed in For Glory. Just having the Quick Missile would make Luigi worlds better in that mode.

I hope the Wii U version will have a separate 1v1 mode with customs. It doesn't even need to track win rates or be super serious but why add all these fun moves if we can only use them against friends?

Neiteio

I'm debating retiring my Little Mac, for the safety of my 3DS, until the Wii U version is out. He's got some great tech, which, unfortunately, worries me that it'd kill my circle pad. I already get worried doing roll cancel grabs, and now that this has been discovered, yeah. We Fox now.
On the otherhand...I'd love to try to implement all these kick-ass tricks into play, implemented roll-cancel grabs already made my playtime a lot more fun. But I just don't want it to kill my 3DS, it's too god damn intense.
I had a great string of fights earlier today with a random who knew exactly when to goof around and exactly when to fight. During one of our goofy exchanges (which I think started with me dry-humping his Ganondorf with my Game & Watch), I tried doing a taunt and it didn't respond. I kept trying, but no dice! I later tested this in Training, and it worked fine there, so I'm guessing it wasn't me abusing my system, but rather just some quirk of online play? The matches were perfectly smooth, so I found it odd the taunts didn't respond.

Thoraxes

I guess I keep schooling Little Mac with DHD.

Feels good beating them, especially when they just spam the same attack over and over. Most of the time they kill themselves with the side b too.

There's a few characters that I'd definitely play online more often (Ganon and Doc) if customs were allowed. I can still play them with friends so it's not that big of a deal but not vs randoms is a bit annoying.

I hope the Wii U version will have a separate 1v1 mode with customs. It doesn't even need to track win rates or be super serious but why add all these fun moves if we can only use them against friends?

Exactly. I understand why custom equipment isn't allowed, as they're totally random and often straight up OP, but the custom moves are the same for everyone, and I'm not aware of any over-the-top broken custom moves.

Hatchtag

Banned
I had a great string of fights earlier today with a random who knew exactly when to goof around and exactly when to fight. During one of our goofy exchanges (which I think started with me dry-humping his Ganondorf with my Game & Watch), I tried doing a taunt and it didn't respond. I kept trying, but no dice! I later tested this in Training, and it worked fine there, so I'm guessing it wasn't me abusing my system, but rather just some quirk of online play? The matches were perfectly smooth, so I found it odd the taunts didn't respond.

You can only taunt a certain number of times in For Glory, then it'll stop you from taunting.

I need some help to gid gud.

I've been maining Lucario and I seem to be ok, but I'm still losing most matches.

Basically, I suck at close range combat and have to resort to abusing my Aura Sphere and Force Palm, which does work a bit due to how ridiculous they are with high aura.

Other than those two I pretty much just use his standard a combo and his side and up tilts.

His smash attacks seem to come out too slow for me to pull off, especially without a c stick.

A big issue for me is when I get launched up, I try to use my down air on the opponent but 75% of the time it comes out too slow and I get juggled until death, or I use it to early and completely miss because it stops all downward momentum :( What are Lucario's best aerial options?

Double Team I can't use at all, I just don't have the reaction times to pull it off properly and if I ever use it, it's just randomly popping it out and hoping for the best.

Gleethor

It's an Omega symbol but it turns out to be not FD form.

Normal form makes it FD? The fuck? Misleading but I got it now

When I say cursor I'm talking about the actual thing you use to pick your stage, its a red circle and the middle will be an omega symbol after you hit x. When you see "normal" it means you're on omega because its telling you to hit x if you want normal, hence the x next to "normal".

Crazyorloco

I think it a my favorite mode...although I suck so bad at it. It's still fun.

EulaCapra

Wow... King DeDeDe is a monster in Multi-Man Smash especially if you want to unlock the Challenge pieces "KO at least 110 fighters" and "Clear 100-Man Smash within 3 minutes."

Just hop on any platform and up-tilt away! Throw the occasional side-B for those strays.

Pikma

Banned
I've been playing a lot more of For Glory matches lately, I think I'm 53-31 so far, which honestly surprises me, as I don't consider myself to be that good, I guess all those hours playing as Mega Man in the demo helped a lot.

30% of my lost matches were against fucking Little Mac ffs

Source
And people shit on me for shitting on him, so damn ridiculous

Sigmaah

When I say cursor I'm talking about the actual thing you use to pick your stage, its a red circle and the middle will be an omega symbol after you hit x. When you see "normal" it means you're on omega because its telling you to hit x if you want normal, hence the x next to "normal".

Thanks for the clarification! Yay no more regular stages!

Pancakes

Exactly. I understand why custom equipment isn't allowed, as they're totally random and often straight up OP, but the custom moves are the same for everyone, and I'm not aware of any over-the-top broken custom moves.

There have been pro players analyzing the moves and most have agreed that there are trade offs for each one so nothing is blatantly broken. The concern came from one player have moves unlocked whereas another player did not. Thus, giving an unfair advantage.

Locking custom moves behind a grind was a very poor idea.

I guess I keep schooling Little Mac with DHD.

Feels good beating them, especially when they just spam the same attack over and over. Most of the time they kill themselves with the side b too.

Every time a Little Mac side b's off the stage in For Glory mode, an angel character gets confirmed for Smash 5.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the problem with FD variants is counterpicks. They're all really similar, but have some differences that are significant enough to make a difference in counterpicks.

Top Bottom