• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

They aren't all the same in what? I don't get it lol, it the same FD layout.

Some have walls that go all the way down and some are floating platforms that are empty underneath like Final Destination. It has a relatively minor impact on the edge game, and it would be goddamn stupid to ban Omega stages just because of that.

Neiteio

I think it a my favorite mode...although I suck so bad at it. It's still fun.
I think just about everyone will find a lot to like in For Glory, both those who take to the game really quickly and intuitively, and those who take more time learning. It's a testament to how good the core character mechanics are. By minimizing the random factor (items, stage hazards, etc), you can better appreciate all the work put into making each and every move just feel great at a basic level. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Some have walls that go all the way down and some are floating platforms that are empty underneath like Final Destination. It has a relatively minor impact on the edge game, and it would be goddamn stupid to ban Omega stages just because of that.

The stages are also not all the same size which can make a difference, and the distance to the blastzones are also different. These are all "small" differences but they do make a difference for various characters and come into play while counterpicking.

jorgejjvr

jorge you gotta work on diddys recovery man. If it wasn't for those I wouldn't lost lol
[quote author=A~r~D link=topic=241743.msg128105609#msg128105609 date=1412818674]
Cool I'll add you. We should get a ffa and teams going too.
Me[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm trying to learn him but that up b ain't that good and I messed up my side b and fell of. Still training with him tho, kinda liking him!

I'm really glad Sakurai went with it. Not necessarily because of the competitive aspect, though that is nice. Not because I don't want battlefield versions of all stages. Battlefield versions of all stages would be awesome to have as well!

BUT, if we didn't have For Glory, think how many stages would be super irritating to play? That's almost the only thing I am really disappointed with, in the 3DS version. I'm all for variety, but too many stages have a boss that shows up all the time, a really irritating transform mechanic, and/or they keep scrolling.

I'm glad there is at least a simple version of everything for the music and variety. Better than nothing!

I agree. For glory is good enough and keeps it real simple. When I used to play people locally back in the day It was 1v1 DF no items, so I was pretty happy, though I can understand why people wouldn't be super happy with that decision.

Also I'm still super impressed with online. I've had a ton of buttery smooth matches and have had a lot of fun
when I was winning

Pro players shouldn't organize tournaments for many many reasons. They usually have insane ideas about what's OP, UP, and should not be allowed.

There are plenty of novices in GAF who spam dash attacks like myself.

Then there are others that are so good I feel like I'm wasting their time :(

Guys, I did a 999-hit combo with Yoshi in training mode!

QzQhvY9.jpg

You simply use Egg Lay over and over again. It's not even a true combo lol.

I like how the Mac situation has progressed to the point that any match with a Mac will inevitably have a 10 second long sequence where one dude is standing on the edge and the Mac is just standing in the middle staring at them saying "haha nope I'm not that dumb (anymore)"

Wow... King DeDeDe is a monster in Multi-Man Smash especially if you want to unlock the Challenge pieces "KO at least 110 fighters" and "Clear 100-Man Smash within 3 minutes."

Just hop on any platform and up-tilt away! Throw the occasional side-B for those strays.

Got it with Greninja after a few tries. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone with a decent up or dash attack.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I like how the Mac situation has progressed to the point that any match with a Mac will inevitably have a 10 second long sequence where one dude is standing on the edge and the Mac is just standing in the middle staring at them saying "haha nope I'm not that dumb (anymore)"

They're learning. Slowly.

Crayolan

ZeRo had an AMA on Reddit the other day and said that the only stages that should be tournament legal is Battlefield and Final Destination, not even FD versions of other stages because they aren't all the same. What's people's opinion of that? I don't get it honestly.

Source

We should be pushing to expand the number of legal stages, not purposely trying to limit them. IMO Smash 3DS should be a bit more liberal with it's selection of counter picks.

And banning stages because they aren't exactly the same is ridiculous.

Neiteio

...and so no one moves, and it goes into Sudden Death, and the non-Mac user wins with a single projectile, lol

Muzy72

Banned
Finally beat Master Core at 9.0!!! Charizard down B spam FTW!

Just need 9 more challenges to go! Too bad they're all grind fests, haha. But I refuse to use hammers!

Jawmuncher

You know what character I noticed just died after all the hype?
Palutena.

After all that excitement and discussion she's just done for now.

Neiteio

We should be pushing to expand the number of legal stages, not purposely trying to limit them. IMO Smash 3DS should be a bit more liberal with it's selection of counter picks.

And banning stages because they aren't exactly the same is ridiculous.
I watched quite a few streams after the Japanese launch, and honestly, even with all my hype at the time, I'm not sure I would've kept watching had it not been for the extra variety afforded by the different stages. If they only played on FD and BF, and didn't occasionally mix in Magicant and the others, it would've gotten a bit dull.

Neiteio

Palutena.

She has her fans. That being said, I was SO hyped for her, and SO hyped for Greninja, but in practice their style just doesn't click with me. Not yet, anyways. I feel more inclined to appreciate them from afar, now that I've found other characters I didn't expect to like so much. :)

They're learning. Slowly.

I realized how to play Mac on the first day after having watched JP streams, and I could tell that opponents were baffled that A) I wasn't jumping to my death or rushing into the edges, and B) When I did use a Side B, I actually knew the distance it traveled so I knocked them off the edge without falling off myself. (Fun fact: the Side B's range allows you to jump right over Ness's PK Fire). It's actually gotten a bit better since everyone's figured out how to "expose" Mac players because they always assume that anyone playing Mac will fall for the edge trick.

I just had a Meta Knight who was sure that I was going to kill myself and eventually had got frustrated and started drilling towards me which was not a winning strategy to say the least

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Palutena.

She's kinda frustrating to play since many of her moves are just so easily punished. I play Bowser more now but still have Palutena as the pocket pick.

J@hranimo

Banned
Palutena.

I there's just me and one other person on here, but yeah I guess so.

I still like her and I can make her default moveset work so I'll keep her as my main.

I'm embracing my inner Lucario now. After using him a ton in Brawl, he didn't feel quite right to me at first. But now that I've got a hang of his new aura-enhanced abilities, I've been kicking ass with him.

Quick question: I feel like the circle pad is pretty imprecise, and on quite a few occasions somehow I end up facing the opposite direction than I intended to, which has caused me quite a few whiffs that could have changed the game if they'd actually connected and I'd been facing the correct direction. Does anybody else have this problem with circle pad execution, or is it just me?

Jawmuncher

She has her fans. That being said, I was SO hyped for her, and SO hyped for Greninja, but in practice their style just doesn't click with me. Not yet, anyways. I feel more inclined to appreciate them from afar, now that I've found other characters I didn't expect to like so much. :)

Yeah that's how I am with Shulk. Really wanted him in and glad he made it.
But his style just doesn't work for me no matter how hard I try. Still like to bust him out once in awhile though.

Her default moveset is garbage.

Makes me wonder if in the next smash they change her moves around with some of the customs for her default.

There have been pro players analyzing the moves and most have agreed that there are trade offs for each one so nothing is blatantly broken. The concern came from one player have moves unlocked whereas another player did not. Thus, giving an unfair advantage.

Locking custom moves behind a grind was a very poor idea.

That's true, but if none of the custom moves are broken, then a player who had them all unlocked wouldn't necessarily have too huge an advantage - maybe for tournament play, but for For Glory it should be fine. After all, you're allowed to play FG without having the full roster unlocked, so you can face opponents with access to more characters than you. And if certain characters almost need custom moves to be viable in FG - again, Luigi being able to use Quick Missile would do a lot to mitigate his terrible recovery - I'd say it's worth risking someone having a bit of an advantage.

You're right, this would all be so much simpler if unlocking custom moves was easier. The game shouldn't give you duplicates. Either give me a new move or a piece of custom equipment, but don't give me a move I already have.

Palutena/Rosalina must have a flow chart where it's like "Dash Attack -> Did You Figure Out How To Use Their Specials -> Stop Lying, You're Just Mashing B -> Dash Attack"

Top Bottom