• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying this right now: whoever the hell genuinely believes this leak because one predictable stage on the list was right has absolutely no right to be upset when it turns out not to be true.
I'm sick of people whining about "no Ridley" or "no Chorus Kids" when there was no promise that they would be in, and I do not want the same thing to happen when the five characters/fifty-five stages thing is officially deconfirmed.

I agree, but still, we shouldn't count out any leak, no matter how absurd it is.

The rumor definitely says the Ridley "grows" wings though. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the younger Ridley but it isn't saying the wings are just folded up.

If you take a look at Ridley, you can see that he can't fold his wings up well at all. If he simply spread them out, the poster would specify that.
Ridley_struttin.gif

I wonder how music will be handled for this stage. A lot of Wario series music is really upbeat, which doesn't really suit the setting here. Maybe they'll do something like have the music fade out a bit and play the spooky violin note or static noises as 5-Volt approaches like in Game & Wario.

i just wanna make sure i get my wario tunes man

georly

If you take a look at Ridley, you can see that he can't fold his wings up well at all. If he simply spread them out, the poster would specify that.

While I still don't believe the rumor, sakurai does what sakurai wants, so ridley 'growing wings' isn't impossible. Seems dumb to me, personally, but sakurai can do things in smash that don't actually happen in their games (like the koopa car having wheels and buzz saws).

Caladrius

While I still don't believe the rumor, sakurai does what sakurai wants, so ridley 'growing wings' isn't impossible. Seems dumb to me, personally, but sakurai can do things in smash that don't actually happen in their games (like the koopa car having wheels and buzz saws).

Ridley's been given so many insane powers and properties out of nowhere (regeneration, becoming a mutant zombie cyborg, tail mines, electrokinesis) that it wouldn't be too out of character.

I wonder how music will be handled for this stage. A lot of Wario series music is really upbeat, which doesn't really suit the setting here. Maybe they'll do something like have the music fade out a bit and play the spooky violin note or static noises as 5-Volt approaches like in Game & Wario.

i just wanna make sure i get my wario tunes man
A legitimate concern.

I really really reaaaaaalllly want my Body Rock, but it doesn't really fit this stage. :<

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The rumor definitely says the Ridley "grows" wings though. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the younger Ridley but it isn't saying the wings are just folded up.

Exactly. I don't believe the rumor but I'm pretty sure that he was talking about his wings being folded or spread. I wonder if it meant two different move test or what?

The wing growing/losing thing could be fairly seamless. It works nicely on Metaknight.
Except that's a thing Meta Knight actually does. Ridley's only ever "grown" wings once, when he metamorphosized from his teenage form off-screen. The idea that Ridley will "grow" wings mid fight is patently absurd as not only is it something Ridley doesn't do it would be messing with his base character design, removing one of his most iconic features for half the fight. It's not going to happen.

Neiteio

Well I said I heard some stuff about Wii U. Now there's video.

Chrom's voice actor more or less confirming story of some sort in that version. He has to record extra lines for it.

http://youtu.be/qguLAhce50Y
Maybe there are codec-style support conversations as an Easter egg in Coliseum and/or Castle Siege. Like the conversations with Fox's wingmates in Lylat Cruise and Corneria, but with other Fire Emblem characters.

Zomba13

I'm in the camp that no Ridley is better than ugly, roided out weird ass looking Other M ridley or "young" Ridley where he's a fucking fuzzy lizard or a furby.

If Ridley gets in and isn't a "classic" Ridley (or at least a good compromise between Other M and something like Prime or Super or Zero Mission) then I'll cry because you know the design won't ever change.

Kyzon

Maybe there are codec-style support conversations as an Easter egg in Coliseum and/or Castle Siege. Like the conversations with Fox's wingmates in Lylat Cruise and Corneria, but with other Fire Emblem characters.

He said "in the story" though

Golnei

Except that's a thing Meta Knight actually does. Ridley's only ever "grown" wings once, when he metamorphosized from his teenage form off-screen. The idea that Ridley will "grow" wings mid fight is patently absurd as not only is it something Ridley doesn't do it would be messing with his base character design, removing one of his most iconic features for half the fight. It's not going to happen.

I'm not sure about metamorphosis, but unfolding wings could easily be implemented - and though it's not something that's been established in any Metroid game, the discrepancy between 2D Ridley and 3D Ridley's wingspan has. Taking something like that and using it as the basis for a moveset doesn't seem unthinkable for this series at all, and is actually reminiscent of the liberties taken with ZSS, DHD and Bowser Jr. Remember the initial leak that called their vehicle a 'Mario kart'?

emb

Chrom's voice actor more or less confirming story of some sort in that version. He has to record extra lines for it.

Sounds like he's just talking about the CG trailer. What he said was something to the effect of "there's some part in the story with Chrom being disappointed about not being playable", which sounds to me just like the end of the Robin trailer.

Zubz

Banned

Maybe he's just confused and referring to the "Guess I'll have my chance... Another day..." thing.

That'd be nice, and makes some sense, but I'd much rather see Kid Icarus get that privilege. Not just because Pit and Palutena are great, or because they already have Magnus', Phosphora's, and Viridi's Voice Actors on the payroll, but because of this guy:
tumblr_n0fomlkRmY1s1steqo1_500.gif

Anything that gets us more Hades is A-OK in my book. Plus, we know there are 3 casts of Star Fox voice actors in the credits of the game, but Corneria only covers the Adventures cast, and if Lylat Cruise is back, it covers Assault's as well. Star Fox 64 3D's cast is in the game, so either that's too many "Codec Call" style stuff for one game to handle, or we're in for a treat with 3 different series having a new set of conversations, plus both Star Fox ones from Brawl.

And then if Snake gets in... Oooooh boy.

Sounds like he's just talking about the CG trailer. What he said was something to the effect of "there's some part in the story with Chrom being disappointed about not being playable", which sounds to me just like the end of the Robin trailer.

inb4 Chrom as a DLC character
so you can hit Chrom with Chrom in Robin's final smash

Zubz

Banned
Please no.

Why? He's an amusing character with more charisma than the entire Smash cast combined? Are you just against everyone but Anthony Higgs?

I still love the way Chrom can beat the shit out of his daughter in the game. Revenge for this I guess.

Hey, Robin can already fight Lucina despite being possibly either her husband or mother, and Bowser's kids can all fight him, too (Apparently, canon states that the Koopalings are now "like" children to Bowser, using a word describing a Yakuza boss seeing someone as close enough to be their own blood, but in a kid-friendly way? So my belief is that they're all siblings again, even if Jr.'s the only biological kid). This game's no stranger to patricide.

Vashzaron

He says he voiced him in the "trailer" and "in the game for the parts that Chrom is in it."

I expect he's seen the trailer and knows the difference there.

Why? He's an amusing character with more charisma than the entire Smash cast combined? Are you just against everyone but Anthony Higgs?
I found Hades to be super annoying in Uprising, but that's just me.
Hey, Robin can already fight Lucina despite being possibly either her husband or mother, and Bowser's kids can all fight him, too (Apparently, canon states that the Koopalings are now "like" children to Bowser, using a word describing a Yakuza boss seeing someone as close enough to be their own blood, but in a kid-friendly way? So my belief is that they're all siblings again, even if Jr.'s the only biological kid). This game's no stranger to patricide.
And fratricide, especially if everyone is a "Smash brother."
lmao
I don't get it
He's my posting rival, so he's taking the chance to mock me.
Anthony Higgs is the only character I recall The Captain being in favor of, as he's talked down against Ridley, Bandanna Dee, Adeline, and many others I can't remember off-hand. But he proposed Higgs himself.
I don't recall saying anything bad about Bandana Dee... I don't think the idea is great though. Maybe I said Prince Fluff would be the better character?
Higgs wasn't actually a character I proposed myself - I believe Jawmuncher came up with the idea? Never played Other M (or any game in the series), but I've watched the cutscenes and my friends tell me he's the best thing about the game. He would be the first black character in too, so that's cool.

Characters I support:
-Paper Mario
-Prince Fluff
-Chibi Robo

Characters I somewhat jokingly support:
-Tingle
-Doshin the Giant
-Savvy Stylist

Characters I think could be cool or might work, but I don't care too much about:
-Plasm Wraith
-Anthony Higgs

Golnei

Isn't the Ridley in the Direct using the Other M design though? Don't we know that for sure?

We know he's using the bladed tail, which is the least offensive aspect of that design. The rest could have been reworked like the Varia Suit and ZSS' heels, hair, build and bracelets.

emb

He says he voiced him in the "trailer" and "in the game for the parts that Chrom is in it."

I expect he's seen the trailer and knows the difference there.
I missed the mention of the trailer, so maybe I grossly misread his comments.

But I do assume he knows what's going on with the things he worked on, if nothing else at least the things already shown to the public. I just thought by 'the story' he might have meant the little situation the trailer depicts.

Now that I think about it, I AM curious about what kind of music they're gonna put in Wii Fit Studio lol

Probably assorted Touch! Generations stuff like Pictochat had?

Golnei

I remember the wingtip being part of the Other M design too, am I wrong in remembering that?

I'm not contesting that the blade's part of the Other M design, just that it's no indication that they're using the Other M design / model completely unchanged, seeing as Samus and ZSS didn't use their Other M designs without heavy alterations.

I'm not contesting that the blade's part of the Other M design, just that it's no indication that they're using the Other M design / model completely unchanged, seeing as Samus and ZSS didn't use their Other M designs without heavy alterations.

That's a relief then. Didn't realize that Samus' design was changed from Other M, my two Metroid-playing friends both complained about her Other M-based redesign in Smash.

The only things I would change is the size of the wings, the arms a bit shorter and hopefully lankier and the beak have more of a hook at the end to make him more like a pteradon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom