• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
e669fc32d5.jpg

I mean, Ridley was my most wanted newcomer, too, but geez... At least I got my 5th Place Medal in Little Mac.

I'll never understand how someone can get so emotional over a character getting in a video game. The big three I wanted (Paper Mario, Prince Fluff, Chibi Robo) didn't get in, but at most I was a little bit bummed that they didn't make it.

For the record, that IllumiRidli post I made wasn't mocking Ridley fans as a whole; just all the collective hours spent of people analyzing a few seconds of footage. If you put them all together, it would probably rival the collective time GameXplain has spent analyzing video games in general.

I didn't even tear for snake.

I got a bit pissed about Ice Climbers being cut and Dark Pit getting in, but at no point was I really upset by it.

Anyone want to try mocking up what this will end up being?
UI97NIE.jpg

Obviously Smash, Wi-fi, and Games & More will keep their spots, and 3DS connectivity is shown. That leaves a place where Smash Run was, a shape to the right of the 3DS connectivity (does the Wii U have any streetpass-like features?), a space to the left of it (The Check List? But that could also very well fit under the magnifying glass), and possibly some sort of oval in the upper left (I'm guessing something to do with controllers).
Eh I'm thinking we will know within a month anyway :p

I'm actually friends with three Ridley supporters. Two of them have played a lot of the Metroid series, and think he would be a really cool character, and they're both kind of disappointed by his absence.
The third is a bit more involved. He hasn't even finished a Metroid game (just a few hours into Corruption) but he's super excited about Ridley, and is one of those "When Ridley joins the fight, Meta Ridley is in charge of being a stage boss" people.

I know it's outrageous but I swear I didn't.
I was legit shook though wondering if it was real for at least 10 minutes.

I thought he wouldn't be back even before the game was officially announced.

The most I did was yell "Little Mac!" when he was revealed. :V

The surprise was kind of ruined for me. I was watching it live, but the slash and fire thing really made it obvious a bit too soon. They should've made it more like the Rosalina trailer, and kept it a mystery.

Little Mac trailer got me the most excited though, and was a character I really wanted to see.

The surprise was kind of ruined for me. I was watching it live, but the slash and fire thing really made it obvious a bit too soon. They should've made it more like the Rosalina trailer, and kept it a mystery.

Little Mac trailer got me the most excited though, and was a character I really wanted to see.
Rosalina trailer got leaked though, which also ruined it.

Veeboy

I got a bit pissed about Ice Climbers being cut and Dark Pit getting in, but at no point was I really upset by it.

I'm still a bit upset about Ice Climbers since the big reason they're not back is because of the 3DS version, and I feel they should still be in the Wii U version but I'm not going to go crazy over it.
I would say I never get too invested in a fighting game's roster, but when the Robin trailer happened I yelled out "LUCINA!" as loud as I could and laughed giddily for the next hour or so. That was a good day.

I'm still a bit upset about Ice Climbers since the big reason they're not back is because of the 3DS version, and I feel they should still be in the Wii U version but I'm not going to go crazy over it.

That's the frustrating thing. Their series doesn't even live on with other characters.

Ridley and Dixie were always my 1 and 2, but Mega Man and Little Mac were up there in my top five too. I'm not sure who number 5 might have been... K. Rool, maybe?

Pac-Man and Villager were characters I wanted but didn't know it yet.

A few hours before the actual direct I think.
Made no difference to me, I was in class.
Ridley and Dixie were always my 1 and 2, but Mega Man and Little Mac were up there in my top five too. I'm not sure who number 5 might have been... K. Rool, maybe?

Pac-Man and Villager were characters I wanted but didn't know it yet.

Same for me and Villager. I wanted to main him as soon as I saw him.

If Dark Pit didn't exist Lucina would probably be the most hated newcomer lol
I'm pretty sure the only reason why Lucina didn't remain an alt for Marth was due to her popularity. Can't really say the same for Dark PIt
even though I feel like the only person on the internet who legit likes him.

My top five leading into this game in order of 'wanting' was Mega Man, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac and a DKC newcomer who went from leaning towards K. Rool to Dixie after Tropical Freeze was announced. Three out of five isn't bad! I also wanted Shulk and Mewtwo a lot, so at least one of those happened as well.

Jawmuncher

I should of specified that I was talking about Snakes reveal and not his cut in this smash.
In this smash his cut was nothing but sadness. A little anger, but mainly just sadness. Even if it was easily seen early on. I had to hold out hope.

Son Of D

Most I did was be like "Oh shit!" when Mega Man was shown. Little Mac made me let out a loud"FINALLY!" and Lucina/Robin trailer was like "WHAT IS GOING ON?!".

If Pac-Man wasn't leaked beforehand and also if he was shown live at E3 then I'd have probably gone insane.

While when I was younger I got easily hyped for Smash stuff (especially the Sonic/Diddy/Dedede reveals), this time around I think Megs, Little Mac and Robin were the only times I got actively excited. Everything else were pleasant but either expected or sort of anti-climatic, like Palutena's was since her moveset was a bit hard to convey in a short trailer.

Even if the 'connectivity' rumor is bullshit, I'd like it if Duck Hunt and the Koopalings (plusBowserJr.Iguess) get a CGI trailer.

Friendly reminder: Fire Emblem has the most characters after Mario/Pokemon/Zelda.
Donkey Kong has 11 reps if you rightly consider the Mario series a spin-off of it.

let me have this

I'll never forget how the Nintendo Direct started spazzing out during the Little Mac reveal

thanks iwata

I remember feeling a bit bummed when Takamaru was disconfirmed, not because he wasn't playable but because an unusually vocal bit of SmashGAF made me feel like a pariah for supporting at the time. :lol

I'm sorry to hear that, but what you really should be remembering is how he was part of the two-day period of us being psychics.

at least Desmond can still get excitement and joy out of even the littlest things in life while having fabulous hair, you jaded cynics

Snake was probably more hype.

he has better games too
To his credit Sonic hasn't had to resort to vagina bombs in his games.

Yet.

I thought this image was just him making a joke. To me it at least looks like he just put the tear line there and took the picture... I hope it was a joke at least

Have you not seen any videos by this guy? I'd believe it was real lol

Robin beat you to it.

I was going to say Lucina/Robin is our first lovers team in Smash and that's kind of cool, but then I remembered... RIP Ice Climbers :(

Most I did was be like "Oh shit!" when Mega Man was shown. Little Mac made me let out a loud"FINALLY!" and Lucina/Robin trailer was like "WHAT IS GOING ON?!".

If Pac-Man wasn't leaked beforehand and also if he was shown live at E3 then I'd have probably gone insane.
Pac Man leaked? When?
I only remember him being confirmed when I saw the liveblogger write "Pac Man revealed" during the Smash Bros. roundtable. What a fucking awful reveal for everyone who wasn't in that room.
#FuckLucina
"What makes you think I haven't already?" - Robin
I'll never forget how the Nintendo Direct started spazzing out during the Little Mac reveal

thanks iwata
I had a friend who was a few seconds ahead of me send me a "LITTLE MAC CONFIRMED" message on Steam. Damn it, stream problems.

I also remember seeing the number of viewers drop after they announced a new Smash Bros. fighter and followed it up with two free to play games on the eShop.

RomanceDawn

I'll never understand how someone can get so emotional over a character getting in a video game. The big three I wanted (Paper Mario, Prince Fluff, Chibi Robo) didn't get in, but at most I was a little bit bummed that they didn't make it.

For the record, that IllumiRidli post I made wasn't mocking Ridley fans as a whole; just all the collective hours spent of people analyzing a few seconds of footage. If you put them all together, it would probably rival the collective time GameXplain has spent analyzing video games in general.

Let people love what they love and let them get emotional over it. I don't understand how people like you mock(you say you don't but you do) guys like me who want Ridley and analyze every bit of information regarding him especially when everything concerning Ridley is somewhat out of the norm compared to every other confirmed or unconfirmed character.

You make these constant posts basically throwing salt in the wounds of people who think it's all over for his chances.

I don't like Snake one little bit as a Smash character and a part of me is somewhat glad that the Ice Climbers will not get their grubby chain grabs into this game despite loving them to death. Still, I don't go around parading these thoughts in the Smash topics. I don't demean posters with "I can't believe you thought Ice Climbers would be included! We've known since E3 they were having trouble including them due to the 3DS limitations!"

I certainly won't cry over his absence but I might get happy enough to tear up if he's actually included playable. Cause that's just the kind of guy I am, when things happen that I really like I may occasionally shed a manly tear of joy.

I was going to say Lucina/Robin is our first lovers team in Smash and that's kind of cool, but then I remembered... RIP Ice Climbers :(

Robin+Lucina isn't canon - it's just one of the many hookups possible in Fire Emblem: Awakening (now in stores).

Also, are they actually a couple, or are they brother & sister/good friends? I think it was left intentionally vague.

You're also forgetting Mario+Peach, Link+Zelda, and Marth+everyone.

Azure J

I seriously cannot believe that almost every reply to that post went the way it did. :lol

And yeah Saturn, that was easily one of the best things of that short time period.

When Little Mac's music starting playing I knew instantly who was coming. I was so crazy hyped for Little Mac, I actually said out loud, LITTLE MAC YEA and did some embarrassing ghost boxing.

Robin+Lucina isn't canon - it's just one of the many hookups possible in Fire Emblem: Awakening (now in stores).

Also, are they actually a couple, or are they brother & sister/good friends? I think it was left intentionally vague.

You're also forgetting Mario+Peach, Link+Zelda, and Marth+everyone.

Sakurai said Ice Climbers were lovers and Mario/Peach and Link/Zelda aren't really lovers or even in any sort of canon relationship (although Skyward Sword heavily implied they were).

Zubz

Banned

That's basically how I reacted, except I yelled "Mac is BACK," and it was to 2 confused roommates because we were watching the Direct with me on a TV screen together (Neither really knew/cared about Punch-Out!!). Villager also got an excited "YEAH!" when he grabbed Mario with his net in the E3 2013 Direct, and I probably would've done the same for Mega Man if I didn't have him spoiled for me while I was still at work (Those 2 were with Sonic in my Top 3 for Brawl, so I was happy to see they got in right away).

I feel like Ridley and Wonder Red'd get the same reaction of a single cheer, or maybe some laughter if Bayonetta or K. Rool got in, too, but only if I was in a situation where I'd be with friends watching a Direct like a sporting event again.

Grab chains are sort of impossible in SSB4 though so Ice Climbers wouldn't have had that power over people anyway.

I agree people getting emotional over characters can and does seem to go both ways with people getting stupidly petty towards people who wanted a certain addition tho. Closest addition that bothers me is Dr. Mario, and that's more because FLUDD is still useless and I see Dr. Mario as an admission people hated FLUDD in Brawl, so I'd have just scrapped that move and kept Doc as an alt.

Zubz

Banned
I also remember seeing the number of viewers drop after they announced a new Smash Bros. fighter and followed it up with two free to play games on the eShop.

Oh yeah... I also remember jeering Rusty's Real Deal Baseball because of how we were treating it like a sporting event. That and the Koopalings in MK8; as soon as I saw them, I knew that they were the "BIG" newcomers, and anything else new would be something like another Baby, plus mainstays'd be cut to accommodate 8 tiny Bowsers (I incorrectly guessed Jr. was coming back, too).

Oh yeah... I also remember jeering Rusty's Real Deal Baseball because of how we were treating it like a sporting event. That and the Koopalings in MK8; as soon as I saw them, I knew that they were the "BIG" newcomers, and anything else new would be something like another Baby, plus mainstays'd be cut to accommodate 8 tiny Bowsers (I incorrectly guessed Jr. was coming back, too).
I figured they were the 'big' newcomers in MK8 but didn't think there'd be as many character cuts as there was. I was at least expecting Diddy/Birdo/Bowser Jr. back, with maybe Dixie/King Boo as quick and easy tie-ins to DKCTF/Luigi's Mansion 2.

Grab chains are sort of impossible in SSB4 though so Ice Climbers wouldn't have had that power over people anyway.

I agree people getting emotional over characters can and does seem to go both ways with people getting stupidly petty towards people who wanted a certain addition tho. Closest addition that bothers me is Dr. Mario, and that's more because FLUDD is still useless and I see Dr. Mario as an admission people hated FLUDD in Brawl, so I'd have just scrapped that move and kept Doc as an alt.
idk about that, if Popo and Nana were treated as separate characters you could probably still chaingrab

RomanceDawn

That's true, I only mentioned that because with Nana acting as a completely different character I often wonder if that would have affected the nature of the game. Are characters completely ungrabable(is that a word?) in that short time or could another player rush in to grab regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom