• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk about that, if Popo and Nana were treated as separate characters you could probably still chaingrab
Unless it was a last-minute addition to the game engine (did anybody notice this in the E3 build?) I'd be weirded out if it didn't take the IC technically being two characters into account considering chain-grabbing was always sort of their thing.

That's true, I only mentioned that because with Nana acting as a completely different character I often wonder if that would have affected the nature of the game. Are characters completely ungrabable(is that a word?) in that short time or could another player rush in to grab regardless.
Another player can grab a character in the short period the original player can't grab them again, yeah. I just personally think this system would've definitely taken Popo and Nana being separate into account, unless it was introduced to SSB4's gameplay late in development.

That's true, I only mentioned that because with Nana acting as a completely different character I often wonder if that would have affected the nature of the game. Are characters completely ungrabable(is that a word?) in that short time or could another player rush in to grab regardless.
Another player can grab, it's just that you can't grab the same person twice (you can even grab a different player though).

Sakurai said Ice Climbers were lovers and Mario/Peach and Link/Zelda aren't really lovers or even in any sort of canon relationship (although Skyward Sword heavily implied they were).
Did he really? That's interesting. Maybe he should work on an Ice Climbers reboot to elaborate on that.
Oh yeah... I also remember jeering Rusty's Real Deal Baseball because of how we were treating it like a sporting event. That and the Koopalings in MK8; as soon as I saw them, I knew that they were the "BIG" newcomers, and anything else new would be something like another Baby, plus mainstays'd be cut to accommodate 8 tiny Bowsers (I incorrectly guessed Jr. was coming back, too).
I have a friend who was super hyped for the Koopalings, but as soon as I saw them I just thought "shiiiiiiiiiit, eight really similar characters are being touted as exciting additions. RIP Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., and pretty much any interesting character."

Let people love what they love and let them get emotional over it. I don't understand how people like you mock(you say you don't but you do) guys like me who want Ridley and analyze every bit of information regarding him especially when everything concerning Ridley is somewhat out of the norm compared to every other confirmed or unconfirmed character.

You make these constant posts basically throwing salt in the wounds of people who think it's all over for his chances.

I don't like Snake one little bit as a Smash character and a part of me is somewhat glad that the Ice Climbers will not get their grubby chain grabs into this game despite loving them to death. Still, I don't go around parading these thoughts in the Smash topics. I don't demean posters with "I can't believe you thought Ice Climbers would be included! We've known since E3 they were having trouble including them due to the 3DS limitations!"

I certainly won't cry over his absence but I might get happy enough to tear up if he's actually included playable. Cause that's just the kind of guy I am, when things happen that I really like I may occasionally shed a manly tear of joy.
No, I said I mocked the countless hours spent analyzing a few seconds of footage as if it were the Patterson–Gimlin or Zapruder tapes. I said I didn't want to mock the Ridley fanbase as a whole - it's simply a group of people who wanted a character in, which is perfectly reasonable.
What confuses me is the constant denial that there was a chance he wasn't playable, and then the anger when in the end he wasn't. People set themselves up for disappointment.

For the record, when Sakurai brought up the Ice Climbers last year, he mentioned that he hadn't made any cuts.

Zubz

Banned
I figured they were the 'big' newcomers in MK8 but didn't think there'd be as many character cuts as there was. I was at least expecting Diddy/Birdo/Bowser Jr. back, with maybe Dixie/King Boo as quick and easy tie-ins to DKCTF/Luigi's Mansion 2.

I was hoping I was wrong, especially because at the time, Dixie and King Boo made more sense anyway (And still surprised they're not in the DLC line-up; now we're getting Fur Suit clones of characters who are already Babies and T-1000's? They're only bringing back Dry Bowser?), but I did the math. Mario Kart Wii was the biggest MK roster ever, at 25. The Koopalings alone are almost 1/3 of that roster. and we knew by that point that all 4 Babies were back.

Plus, between the Babies and Koopalings, the races had 12 racers each, so I also realized that you're bound to see at least 3 of that lot per race... I'm hoping people like Diddy, Birdo, Jr., and Dry Bones are interspersed along with this current DLC season, maybe with some cool newcomers too like K. Rool or Mona (Seriously. As soon as I saw MK Wii had bikes, I thought she was a shoo-in. 5 Babies, 12 Turtles, and 4 Power-Up Clones later...)

Ridley is so popular now cause everyone wants to jump in on the "Ridley LOL" train like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8z7f7a2Pk

Also, forgot to mention how hilarious this is to me, and I don't know why. I kinda want to see a GIF of the first guy with Ridley's head now, but I know it'd be too complex to keep cutting, especially after the thing explodes.

I was hoping I was wrong, especially because at the time, Dixie and King Boo made more sense anyway (And still surprised they're not in the DLC line-up; now we're getting Fur Suit clones of characters who are already Babies and T-1000's? They're only bringing back Dry Bowser?), but I did the math. Mario Kart Wii was the biggest MK roster ever, at 25. The Koopalings alone are almost 1/3 of that roster. and we knew by that point that all 4 Babies were back.

Plus, between the Babies and Koopalings, the races had 12 racers each, so I also realized that you're bound to see at least 3 of that lot per race... I'm hoping people like Diddy, Birdo, Jr., and Dry Bones are interspersed along with this current DLC season, maybe with some cool newcomers too like K. Rool or Mona (Seriously. As soon as I saw MK Wii had bikes, I thought she was a shoo-in. 5 Babies, 12 Turtles, and 4 Power-Up Clones later...)

As much as I love the new Mario Kart 8 DLC, I don't like how it essentially kills the chances for other characters coming in.
Bowser Jr. and Diddy should be in, especially considering that they're both in Smash, and other characters like Birdo and Funky Kong should come back too. New racers like Dixie Kong and E. Gadd would also be great.
Instead, we got two metal characters, and two made-up babies that only exist for Mario Kart.

Mario Kart (or any Maro spin-off Wario shows up in) never ever getting the Ware cast kills me inside. I'm still a bit anal retentive over Land getting the shaft in Smash, but EVERYTHING Wario-related gets the shaft in every other series he guest stars in.

Weirder when by comparison a ton of DKC characters are more or less surviving through appearances in Mario games instead of DK games.

Berordn

Mario Kart (or any Maro spin-off Wario shows up in) never ever getting the Ware cast kills me inside. I'm still a bit anal retentive over Land getting the shaft in Smash, but EVERYTHING Wario-related gets the shaft in every other series he guest stars in.

Weirder when by comparison a ton of DKC characters are more or less surviving through appearances in Mario games instead of DK games.

Just imagine how much better this world might be if Captain Syrup had been chosen as Wario's doubles partner instead of inventing an ugly Luigi.

Man the babies were a real waste, and it doesn't take nearly as much effort to create new characters in Mario Kart 8 either.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi were fine - they are actual characters. Baby Peach was even a character in Yoshi's Island DS, so she's fine too.

Baby Daisy was completely made up, and Baby Rosalina goes against that deep Mario lore, and they're both absolutely awful additions.

Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach also suck, and I'm not looking forward to Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach. It's a shame, there are so many better characters to bring in.

Jawmuncher

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi were fine - they are actual characters. Baby Peach was even a character in Yoshi's Island DS, so she's fine too.

Baby Daisy was completely made up, and Baby Rosalina goes against that deep Mario lore, and they're both absolutely awful additions.

Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach also suck, and I'm not looking forward to Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach. It's a shame, there are so many better characters to bring in.

Who wants more characters when you can have the same ones in different outfits or ages!
That nintendo logic.

Zubz

Banned
Just imagine how much better this world might be if Captain Syrup had been chosen as Wario's doubles partner instead of inventing an ugly Luigi.

... Did you just get me to resent Waluigi? Because I'm afraid I now might resent Waluigi.

I'm trying to imagine all the consequences that would happen because of that decision.

2000 - Captain Syrup is in Mario Tennis instead of Waluigi.
2001 - GameCube launches, huge success for Nintendo. Melee is revealed; Wario and Captain Syrup are playable.
2006 - Wii launches, the fan demand is too high, the world is running out of resources to keep up with all the demand. Nintendo uses the R.O.B. army to begin mining for more.
2008 - Brawl is released, R.O.B. is playable as an attempt to appease the angry R.O.B. workers.
2009 - The attempt fails; R.O.B. workers attack major cities. Terror spreads across the world.
2010 - The U.N. is unable to keep the R.O.B. army at bay. Leaders flee to underground bunkers, but it is too late - the robots use their deep mineshafts to attack.
2012 - On December 21, the last human dies. The R.O.B. army has won.

Nope. Waluigi was the better decision.

Waluigi is one of those rare characters I simultaneously think is a lazily designed piece of shit but also really like. While he doesn't really deserve it (though they're running low on character ideas for the next game so eh), I'd find it hilarious if he eventually got into Smash somehow.

I'd also really dig Tingle, though unlike Waluigi I think he suits the weirder aspects of the Zelda series really well and I'm legit sort of pissed off the negative reception he gets in the US kept his games and himself from getting more exposure. Impa's had a huge resurgence in relevance lately (plus both her SS and HW designs are great, her OoT look is awkward IMO) so I'd gladly take her as a new Zelda rep, but if it was either or I'd honestly take Tingle first.

Waluigi is one of those rare characters I simultaneously thing is a lazily designed piece of shit but also really like. While he doesn't really deserve it (though they're running low on character ideas for the next game so eh), I'd find it hilarious if he eventually got into Smash somehow.

"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

I'm trying to imagine all the consequences that would happen because of that decision.

2000 - Captain Syrup is in Mario Tennis instead of Waluigi.
2001 - GameCube launches, huge success for Nintendo. Melee is revealed; Wario and Captain Syrup are playable.
2006 - Wii launches, the fan demand is too high, the world is running out of resources to keep up with all the demand. Nintendo uses the R.O.B. army to begin mining for more.
2008 - Brawl is released, R.O.B. is playable as an attempt to appease the angry R.O.B. workers.
2009 - The attempt fails; R.O.B. workers attack major cities. Terror spreads across the world.
2010 - The U.N. is unable to keep the R.O.B. army at bay. Leaders flee to underground bunkers, but it is too late - the robots use their deep mineshafts to attack.
2012 - On December 21, the last human dies. The R.O.B. army has won.

Nope. Waluigi was the better decision.

Lmao another 10/10 here.

"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle."

3yITYbV.png

Looking back, Toadette is the exact same as Baby Daisy and Waluigi, as she was specifically made to be a counterpart for another character in a spin-off.

I'd also really dig Tingle, though unlike Waluigi I think he suits the weirder aspects of the Zelda series really well and I'm legit sort of pissed off the negative reception he gets in the US kept his games and himself from getting more exposure. Impa's had a huge resurgence in relevance lately (plus both her SS and HW designs are great, her OoT look is awkward IMO) so I'd gladly take her as a new Zelda rep, but if it was either or I'd honestly take Tingle first.
Tingle is a character I'd really like to see in Smash, especially if he uses the Rosy Rupeeland moveset. However, I'm not bummed out that he isn't in.

I am bothered by his absence in Hyrule Warriors though, along with the overall lack of references to the majority of the Zelda series.
Looking back, Toadette is the exact same as Baby Daisy and Waluigi, as she was specifically made to be a counterpart for another character in a spin-off.
Toadette was in The Thousand Year Door though, right? She's cool in my book.

Tingle is a character I'd really like to see in Smash, especially if he uses the Rosy Rupeeland moveset. However, I'm not bummed out that he isn't in.

I am bothered by his absence in Hyrule Warriors though, along with the overall lack of references to the majority of the Zelda series.

At leas there's a Majora's Mask expansion coming which (might) have him; Wind Waker and that entire aspect of the franchise got ignored beyond the Wind Waker weapon and Lana's Deku Staff moveset which really ought to have gone to Makar.

It's because Mario Kart/main Mario games are EAD while WarioWare is made by Intelligent Systems.

somebody has to take the risk and avatar bet him back to pinkie pie

Never again.

Gotta love how the internet turned a genocidal space dragon into a loveable underdog.

If there is anything I've learned from fandom over the years, it's that all villains, no matter how evil they act or how many horrible things they've done, are really just misunderstood, are really good people underneath their dark exteriors and that the supposed "heroes" are actually the real bad guys.

Also, screw someone over long enough and they'll eventually become sympathetic no matter how big an asshole they were and still are.

TTYD wasn't released until a year after Double Dash. She was just a female Toad that was made so Toad had a partner.

Any Mario character >>>>>>>>>>> any baby character.

Seriously, fuck those things. They have no place outside of mediocre Yoshi's Island games.

Any Mario character >>>>>>>>>>> any baby character.

Seriously, fuck those things. They have no place outside of mediocre Yoshi's Island games.

Baby Mario & Luigi are fine, they've played roles in Partners in Time and the Yoshi's Island games. Peach is stretching it, Daisy and Rosalina are too much.

Baby Rosalina actively goes against Mario canon.

ffdgh

Baby Mario & Luigi are fine, they've played roles in Partners in Time and the Yoshi's Island games. Peach is stretching it, Daisy and Rosalina are too much.

Careful. Don't want to open that can of worms lol.

I guess they are acceptable when given a valid role and reason to exist in a certain game, but seeing them in Mario Kart just to fill up spots over much more sensible inclusions is just annoying, lol.

5. FIVE baby characters in Mario Kart 8, and a good handful of MKW characters that are not present. Bowser Jr.'s absence still shocks me, and the Birdo reference on Royal Raceway is just what.

At leas there's a Majora's Mask expansion coming which (might) have him; Wind Waker and that entire aspect of the franchise got ignored beyond the Wind Waker weapon and Lana's Deku Staff moveset which really ought to have gone to Makar.

It's just weird - it seemed like it was supposed to be a celebration of the Zelda series, but it really only honors four of the games: the original in the Adventure mode, and Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword with characters and levels in Story mode.
Now, I'm not asking that they bring in the Old Man from the original, or Error from Zelda II, but there are so many important games they just completely skipped over.

At the very least, they should've honored Link to the Past and Wind Waker, the former being arguably the most influential installment in the series, and the latter representing an entire branch of the series with a consistent art style. Would it really have been too hard to redesign characters like Makar, Medli, or Tetra? Even keeping them in the "Celda" style wouldn't stick out too much from the rest of the game.

Tingle should've been in even without a Wind Waker section - he's been in several of the games, and even his own sub-series.

Why do you want to hurt me so?

Unless you're talking about DS and Yoshi's New Island. Then I agree.

I'M SORRY. I just can't deal with these subpar Yoshi games we keep getting. I fucking love Yoshi's Island, and Yoshi's Story was a pretty good game as well, but ever since then... ech.

ffdgh

I'M SORRY. I just can't deal with these subpar Yoshi games we keep getting. I fucking love Yoshi's Island, and Yoshi's Story was a pretty good game as well, but ever since then... ech.

Yarn yoshi is looking good so far. Maybe it'll be the game to break the yoshi cycle(lol)

Veeboy

Don't worry. Yoshi's Wooly World will deliver us from the valley of the shadow of Artoon/Arzest.

Theres a Majora's Mask expansion coming? Any details? I haven't been keeping up to date on Hyrule Warriors since I won't be buying it until a while after its released.

I guess they are acceptable when given a valid role and reason to exist in a certain game, but seeing them in Mario Kart just to fill up spots over much more sensible inclusions is just annoying, lol.

5. FIVE baby characters in Mario Kart 8, and a good handful of MKW characters that are not present. Bowser Jr.'s absence still shocks me, and the Birdo reference on Royal Raceway is just what.

Baby Mario and Luigi were good additions in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! The other babies should just leave.

Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only actual child, yet stayed out because of the Koopalings. Maybe that's because they didn't want to have too many "young Koopa children" but that should've been taken into consideration when they were adding seven similar characters to the roster and pretending as if that was exciting.
Diddy Kong is also strangely absent, especially given his role in Smash Bros. and the two most recent Donkey Kong games, which have done well critically and commercially.
They probably added Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach for gender equality, completely ignoring Dixie Kong or Birdo. Birdo would even be one of the few transgender characters in gaming - how's that for progressive? Her appearance in in-game advertising makes her lack of playability incredibly odd.

There are several other characters they could've added, ranging from characters in the WarioWare series, to people like E. Gadd, and yet they decided to make it possible to have a couch coop race where four people each play different versions of the same character. Wonderful.

Blame Nintendo for giving the IP to Artoon/Arzest, who have repeatedly fucked up in making good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom