• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can seriously see Isabelle and Toon Zelda being DLC down the road, what with this commercial. :v Besides the commercial, Toon Zelda almost made it into Brawl, and Isabelle seems like she's being propped up as the Animal Crossing mascot. Tom Nook, Villager, K.K. Slider, and Mr. Resetti are known, but people generally really legit enjoy Isabelle.

Neiteio

Made some 1600x900 wallpaper for my laptop

w-new3ds-promo01sjukd.png

ffdgh

zlCfzSfhotABeWNli0

Pic of the day. For the 3DS version, you can select alternate tracks for stages by holding down the R Button while you select the stage--the brown drop shadow that frames the stage image when you hold down the R Button indicates the alternate track is active. For the Living Room stage, the alternate track is the vocal version of the default track. Songs with vocals aren't the best match for battles, but the song was too good to leave out, so this is how we chose to include it.

zlCfzSfhqT8Q2azgQd

Also, For the Boxing Ring, if you select the stage while holding down the L Button, you can play on the Smash Bros. version of the stage. If you hold down the Y Button, you can choose to play on the Punch Out! version. These variations are usually selected at random, but this method lets you select them manually.

This is a nieat tip. Surprisingly, the brown drop shadow even works in the demo. :D

Distant Planet and Garden of Hope.
Oh no, not this crap again...
I've never played Pikmin, what makes those stages apocalyptic?
Fan theories.

They can make Isabelle look really nervous and panicky while she does it, thus staying true to her character, like, "OH GOD MR. MAYOR I JUST CHOPPED SOMEONE'S HEAD OFF" and Villager's all like "Don't worry I got this" before calling Tom Nook on a cellphone, hanging up, snapping the phone in two and tossing it in the trash.
How do you think all the "fossils" get spread around town?

Haha, kinda. Nintendo really pushing for more female faces, and good on them!
I remember seeing a remark about Nintendo having more female characters in their E3 2014 showing than everyone else there combined. That's pretty damn cool.
Add another hat and we've got a Chancellor Cole alt.

ChancellorColeArt.png
I forgot about him! I always liked him as a character - what kind of a person wears two top hats?

JoeInky

Fan theories.

Wait, wait, wait....

How exactly do you think Pikmin isn't set in a post-apocalyptic earth? I didn't even know there was anyone who thought otherwise.

The game is set on earth, human life is completely extinct and the flora/fauna has evolved into familiar yet alien species, tectonic plates have massively shifted into positions that would take millions of years.

Most of the remnants of human civilisations are buried or underground.

How can the Pikmin series not be set on a post-apocalyptic earth?

Golnei

I loved that and Ai No Uta.
They were just so jarring for a fighting game that for me they fit in perfectly.

The melodramatic tone of Calling to the Night actually allowed it to fit in perfectly. As would Snake Eater, had they retained the lyrics.

I liked fighting to Ai no Uta as well, but they should have either recorded a full-length French version or not included it at all.

Jawmuncher

Wait, wait, wait....

How exactly do you think Pikmin isn't set in a post-apocalyptic earth? I didn't even know there was anyone who thought otherwise.

The game is set on earth, human life is completely extinct and the flora/fauna has evolved into familiar yet alien species, tectonic plates have massively shifted into positions that would take millions of years.

Most of the remnants of human civilisations are buried or underground.

How can the Pikmin series not be set on a post-apocalyptic earth?

Because nintendo could never think of something so "dark"
Mushroomy.jpg

300px-Stage23_080123d-l.jpg

Only two tracks per stage? Fuck man, brawl had like 3-6

Wii U version will probably have the same amount as Brawl. Didn't Brawl have at least 4 per stage?
Anyways, I am disappointed the vocal version isn't the default version for Living Room. That song is so great.

I wanted to add the Rosalina from the extended Wii U box art to my avatar but getting her blue dress off the blue background was too much effort.

If someone better with photoshop than me is feeling up to it that would be great <3

Fan theories.

How do you think all the "fossils" get spread around town?

I remember seeing a remark about Nintendo having more female characters in their E3 2014 showing than everyone else there combined. That's pretty damn cool.

I forgot about him! I always liked him as a character - what kind of a person wears two top hats?
Miyamoto has come out and said that the Pikmin planet is Earth, and it's definitely (long) after humans lived there because you can find batteries and Game and Watches. This isn't up for debate.

However, whether it's post-apocalyptic or just set really really far into the future (after humans died/evolved into something else/left) is I guess, but the result is the same: Earth without humans.

Jawmuncher

Wii U version will probably have the same. Didn't Brawl have at least 4 per stage?
Anyways, I am disappointed the vocal version isn't the default version for Living Room. That song is so great.

A lot of the stages from when I went and did tracks seemed to have more than 4 as the average.

In the first Direct they said that the 3DS version will only have 2 tracks per stage, but the Wii U version will have something like Brawl's "My Music" which means a lot more options.

It's like when people were surprised about Mario Kart product placement. Pikmin did it first.
606183-589374_20040924_003.jpg

Welcome to Earf.
That was one of the best parts of Pikmin 2 too, seeing all of the real life items. I also liked the subtle feeling of depression you got when you explored some of the toy box levels and found toys for children and stuff.

JoeInky

Shiver_Star.png

Shiver Star has to take the cake for actual apocalyptic implications in a children's videogame. Machine-dominated nuclear winter in my Kirby?!

I've always wondered if the fact that shiver star exists (with the tectonic plates in the current position) would mean that technically Pikmin and Kirby inhabit the same universe, with Pikmin set in the far future and Kirby basically showing the reason humans died out.

It's probably just alternate universe type stuff and it's entirely separate, but I do find it fun how often post-apocalyptic earth appears in cheerful Nintendo games, 1 is more than you'd ever really expect of them, never mind 2.

I want more Pikmin games, I love it's setting way too much, 3 games will never be enough for me.

Golnei

Perhaps Shiver Star is what became of Earth in Metroid's universe as well.

samus.png

ss_smrpg_samus2.gif

Which means Mario's also part of the same post-apocalyptic scenario - maybe the denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom evolved into Hocotatians, explaining Olimar and Louie's similarity to their ancestors?

Such deep lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom