• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

But foxes only live to 5, so how is Fox still in the game?

kwgtUB0.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
So, I was looking back at the Super Bash Sisters tourney, and even though there is no set date yet I'm getting pretty hype for the next couple of weeks.

Zubz

Banned
Team Ninja/ Koei Tecmo on the box should help it lower in price.

I wonder... Did that help with Pokemon Conquest? *BOLD AMAZON PRICE CHECK*

...Huh. Apparently not. I guess Hyrule Warriors is going to stay priced like a Nintendo game.
I'm still waiting for an Xtreme Legends version with all the DLC, though.

Hey Nintendo, easy money (DLC idea):

Make Isabelle a playable clone of Villager.

Make Digby an Assist Trophy clone of Isabelle's Assist Trophy.

When Isabelle is in play, the Isabelle AT does not appear. Digby does instead.

Isabelle is hugely popular and already headlining MK8 DLC. People will pay to play as her in Smash.

I'm perfectly content with Isabelle being an Assist here; she's pacifistic, so it makes sense she's in the game as an Assist character who heals anyone, not just her summoner. Nevertheless, she's definitely one of Nintendo's biggest characters at the moment, and her prominence in ads and in the Mario Kart DLC (I think I've seen more people make a big deal out of her than Link)

Maybe she might be DLC like this, or she might be the only Assist to pull a Little Mac/Charizard and get promoted to playable in the next game (Incidentally, Sakurai said Assist Trophies were a way to showcase characters who didn't quite make it but could be added in the future when they were revealed in Brawl, but why did only Mac get lucky, whereas Isaac, Waluigi, Samurai Goroh, Saki, Barbara, Tingle, Ray Mk. III, Starfy, & Lyn are all still non-playable? The situation's only worse now, since the aforementioned Isabelle, Ghirahim, Magnus, Takamaru, Dark Samus, Skull Kid, & Ashley are all in the same could-easily-be-playable boat despite Mac being the only promotion last time!).

However, I'd be fine if she doesn't make it in. We got the Villager repping Animal Crossing, and I the closest I can think of for how she'd fight would be to make her like Roll in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom or Minette (One of the 40-some Skullgirls characters they couldn't make because of budget reasons, but she almost won the DLC polls!), where she is actively trying not to fight and is doing something else instead (Custodial work and take-out in the aforementioned cases, so I guess Isabelle'd be surveying the area and building Public Works Projects?). I just can't see her throwing a punch.

tumblr_inline_ncoay8QNKl1r4dsv1.png

boss doggie I'm sorry

Okay, that got to me.

Ryce

Incidentally, Sakurai said Assist Trophies were a way to showcase characters who didn't quite make it but could be added in the future when they were revealed in Brawl
I don't believe Sakurai ever said anything about ATs being playable in future installments.

JCX

Having a bunch of AT's turn into real characters would be very cool. I'd love if they remade Melee's trailer with the new AT's.

Zubz

Banned
I don't believe Sakurai ever said anything about ATs being playable in future installments.

Neither he or I said exactly that they would be playable, but he did say that they "couldn't quite make it as playable fighters," suggesting that a priority was put on characters that could become Smash Bros. fighters at a later date, but were not a high enough priority to make it to Brawl's roster over obvious inclusions like Diddy, Dedede, & Olimar.

Again, though, this only happened for Mac, but a lot of Brawl's assists seemed probable for a future installment, not just Little Mac. Honestly, I only think it was Next Level's Punch-Out!! that even gave him a chance this time around now that I see how few made it in, but that's only hindsight talking. I honestly was expecting Waluigi & Isaac, and I was dreaming of sunny days with Goroh and Jill on the playable roster.

Neither he or I said exactly that they would be playable, but he did say that they "couldn't quite make it as playable fighters," suggesting that a priority was put on characters that could become Smash Bros. characters at a later date, but were not a high enough priority to make it to Brawl's roster over obvious inclusions like Diddy, Dedede, & Olimar.

Again, though, this only happened for Mac, but a lot of Brawl's assists seemed probable for a future installment, not just Little Mac. Honestly, I only think it was Next Level's Punch-Out!! that even gave him a chance this time around now that I see how few made it in, but that's only hindsight talking. I honestly was expecting Waluigi & Isaac, and I was dreaming of sunny days with Goroh on the playable roster.

That means that Lord Ghirahim still has a future chance? Yay!

Caladrius

I generally don't say this sort of thing but I sincerely wish Dark Samus and Dark Pit had traded places.

Even if DS really shouldn't be a clone it would give her room to be Luigified later.

Zubz

Banned
That means that Lord Ghirahim still has a future chance? Yay!

Yup. It means he was a character they acknowledge as important! Just not enough to make playable yet. And Isaac and Waluigi prove that new games alone aren't enough.

It will probably start around the beginning of November :p

Wait, I thought it was planned for mid-October? Oh well. I guess that's enough to time to get good used to ZSS on the 3DS... Or maybe get back into Jiggs and Peach, since they were secondaries of mine in Melee that I couldn't get used to in Brawl.

tbh smash 4's assist trophies feel less like characters who might've been considered for playable and didn't quite make it than brawl and more "hey here's some secondary characters and stuff from obscure games"

Ryce

Oddly enough, all of the characters I’m anticipating as prospective DLC are conspicuously absent from the assist pile: Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chorus Kids, Wolf, Lucas, and so on.

I generally don't say this sort of thing but I sincerely wish Dark Samus and Dark Pit had traded places.

Even if DS really shouldn't be a clone it would give her room to be Luigified later.

I wish every clone that's kept around would get the same treatment as Luigi, but Ganondorf, Falco, and Toon Link haven't gotten any new moves (excluding customs) this game.

You would think the "King of Evil" would gain a projectile, or Toon Link would gain more stuff from Wind Waker (like the Skull Hammer).

Zubz

Banned

I know you're just a temporary usurper king, but I like the way you think. I agree wholeheartedly, but Dark Pit has a huge Japanese fanbase (They're owed after Little Mac, apparently), is easier to keep a pure clone rather than a Luigified one like Dark Samus, and Dark Samus' ability to do more shows that she deserves to be more than just a clone, anyway. The fact her different abilities are acknowledged may be a good sign for future games, though.
Although then again, isn't her story kind of over?

tbh smash 4's assist trophies feel less like characters who might've been considered for playable and didn't quite make it than brawl and more "hey here's some secondary characters and stuff from obscure games"

I know; they move a lot more and have specific attacks, being more "Run around the map and wailing wildly" than "fill a specific role" like the Metroids, Lakitus, and Nintendog did. I don't know if they have DLC chances due to them already having an in-game role, though... But we haven't seen Isaac, Jill, or Ray yet; that's a good sign, right?
A god sign that they're Wii U exclusive.

emb

Oddly enough, all of the characters I’m anticipating as prospective DLC are conspicuously absent from the assist pile: Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chorus Kids, Wolf, Lucas, and so on.
But conspicuously present in the normal trophy pile. I think? Not sure about Lucas and Chorus Kids.

Caladrius

I wish every clone that's kept around would get the same treatment as Luigi, but Ganondorf, Falco, and Toon Link haven't gotten any new moves (excluding customs) this game.

You would think the "King of Evil" would gain a projectile, or Toon Link would gain more stuff from Wind Waker (like the Skull Hammer).

Very true, sadly.

At least there's always mods.

I know you're just a temporary usurper king, but I like the way you think. I agree wholeheartedly, but Dark Pit has a huge Japanese fanbase (They're owed after Little Mac, apparently), is easier to keep a pure clone rather than a Luigified one like Dark Samus, and Dark Samus' ability to do more shows that she deserves to be more than just a clone, anyway. The fact her different abilities are acknowledged may be a good sign for future games, though.
Although then again, isn't her story kind of over?

This is also true.

And Dark Samus is indeed a done deal. It's a shame that she lost what was probably her last chance to be playable since she can't be grandfathered into future installments now like Sheik has been.

Dark Samus being the 3rd Metroid rep would piss off a bunch of people :p

It can't be worse than yet another form of the real Samus, and I think people would receive her fine if she actually got full use of her Phazon abilities.

Ryce

But conspiculously present in the normal trophy pile. I think? Not sure about Lucas and Chorus Kids.
Trophies aren't a big deal, though. There are over 600 of them. They're just model rips with a short text blurb, and they could easily be replaced/removed through a patch. Assist Trophies have an effect on the gameplay, and they take a while to model/rig/animate/etc. They aren't expendable afterthoughts like the regular trophies.

Zubz

Banned

But conspiculously present in the normal trophy pile. I think? Not sure about Lucas and Chorus Kids.

Nope, they're there. Chorus Kids' was also suspicious because it used that name (They were unnamed in Rhythm Heaven) and their trophy seems to talk about a way they could attack, referring to how stuff goes down "When they open their mouths."

Those characters that are in your prospective DLC pile are all characters we can assume were further along in the process. Wolf and Lucas are easy additions due to being clones and Brawl veterans, Mewtwo was a veteran too, and both he and Dixie were considered for Brawl long enough to still have data in the game, and as I said above, between their trophy and the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, I think they were late cuts for the same asinine reason the Ice Climbers are gone from both versions.

Add the fact that multiple leaks have mentioned everyone but Wolf (The Gematsu leak said something along the lines of "One of the Mother kids is getting cut, and it's looking like Lucas. The way they're doing DLC disgusts the leaker," making me think Lucas will be among the first DLC characters), and that explains why they're in that pile; they probably are prospective DLC, so they weren't put in as AT's, whereas AT's showcase fan favorites who couldn't quite make it in this time around.

Nope, they're there. Chorus Kids' was also suspicious because it used that name (They were unnamed in Rhythm Heaven) and their trophy seems to talk about a way they could attack, referring to how stuff goes down "When they open their mouths."
Also considering the Smash Run enemies we know only two franchises not playable (Ice Climbers and Rhythm Heaven) got enemies made. So this points to proof that indeed both characters were considered before E3 2014 hit and due to time/technical issues, they were both cut.
I am just guessing, but I think Bowser Jr. was made as a replacement to Chorus Kids. He seems to be the most rushed newcomer. Also Dr. Mario was made to replace Ice Climbers since Melee.

Muzy72

Banned
Also considering the Smash Run enemies we know only two franchises not playable (Ice Climbers and Rhythm Heaven) got enemies made. So this points to proof that indeed both characters were considered before E3 2014 hit and due to time/technical issues, they were both cut.
I am just guessing, but I think Bowser Jr. was made as a replacement to Chorus Kids. He seems to be the most rushed newcomer.
How in the world does Bowser Jr seem rushed?? He has one of the most unique and creative movesets in the entire cast, and he has 7 very different alts. The only last minute newcomers were the clone corner.

You know what hurts the most?

Ganondorf is literally, the only returning antagonist in this game to not have any new moves.

King Dedede and Bowser have a slew of new moves, and even Meta Knight's up special and neutral-finisher are new.

It just depresses me how much Ganondorf could have been if he wasn't added at the last second of Melee.

ffdgh

Ganondorf is literally, the only returning antagonist in this game to not have any new moves.

King Dedede and Bowser have a slew of new moves, and even Meta Knight's up special and neutral-finisher are new.

It just depresses me how much Ganondorf could have been if he wasn't added at the last second of Melee.

...Atlease he has his customs I guess.

Zubz

Banned
They were. They're called Chorus Kids in the credits of both Rhythm Heaven DS and Game & Wario. (Chorus Men in Japanese)

Oh. Whops. Well, the Trophy's description, the Sneaky Spirits, and still trusting the Gematsu leak still has me thinking they were late cuts regardless.

I am just guessing, but I think Bowser Jr. was made as a replacement to Chorus Kids. He seems to be the most rushed newcomer. Also Dr. Mario was made to replace Ice Climbers since Melee.

Wait, Jr.? He seems to be one of the most complex newcomers alongside Shulk and Robin, and the fact they reskinned all 7 of his adopted siblings (Miyamoto was vague enough, so I'm taking it in as canon!) makes me think he was there since the earliest drafts of the roster. If anyone was rushed, I'd say it was the 3 newcomer clones; we know Lucina was originally an alt, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other 2 were, too.

basically everything in rhythm heaven is named in-game

my personal favorite and the current rhythm heaven rep i'm supporting is "Uh... these guys?" from donk donk

THE WINNER IS... UH... THESE GUYS?

Zubz

Banned
basically everything in rhythm heaven is named in-game

my personal favorite and the current rhythm heaven rep i'm supporting is "Uh... these guys?" from donk donk

THE WINNER IS... UH... THESE GUYS?

I would be very okay with that just for the announcer declaring them the victors.

I wonder if my campus will have a smash bros wii u tournament in this December. I miss it when they did on brawl couple years ago.

Hey, if they don't, try to get a club's sponsorship and hold one yourself maybe?

Wait, Jr.? He seems to be one of the most complex newcomers alongside Shulk and Robin, and the fact they reskinned all 7 of his adopted siblings (Miyamoto was vague enough, so I'm taking it in as canon!) makes me think he was there since the earliest drafts of the roster. If anyone was rushed, I'd say it was the 3 newcomer clones; we know Lucina was originally an alt, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other 2 were, too.

Yeah, the Clown Copter is unique indeed, but I have a hunch it was designed to be Bowser's FS at first. When things changed, they decided to make it Bowser Jr. along with the Kooplings. The voices are ported from NSMB U and the models could be taken from NSMB U as well. So I was not saying the Clown Copter was rushed but the Kooplings were.

Zubz

Banned
Yeah, the Clown Copter is unique indeed, but I have a hunch it was designed to be Bowser's FS at first. When things changed, they decided to make it Bowser Jr. along with the Kooplings. The voices are ported from NSMB U and the models could be taken from NSMB U as well. So I was not saying the Clown Copter was rushed but the Kooplings were.

The Clown Copter? Really? I couldn't see them cutting Giga Bowser, honestly, and it'd need to be huge to have Final Smash power. Add the fact that it is an entirely different moveset in a game that just cut ZSS, and I'm still convinced it was always Jr.'s.

The models are definitely all new; they share a stock body and new head models to give them a similar hitbox after that eject move, and a lot of characters have recycled voice clips. In fact, based on IGN showing off the English version's taunts, Kirby, Sonic, and Pit are the only veterans with new voice clips, and that's only because the latter 2 have new voice actors (And again, Roger Craig Smith. You couldn't even be bothered to do "You're Too Slow?" That was more important than half of Sonic's moveset to me, and Sonic was my back-up main!) I can see them just reusing the grunts from NSMBU/MK8 for these characters that are really just fancy palette swaps, anyway, rather than calling in 7 voice actors just to laugh cartoonishly a lot.

The Clown Copter? Really? I couldn't see them cutting Giga Bowser, honestly, and it'd need to be huge to have Final Smash power. Add the fact that it is an entirely different moveset in a game that just cut ZSS, and I'm still convinced it was always Jr.'s.
Point taken. Perhaps it is the Final Smash is why I feel that way. Something about the FS feels really rushed. Then again, they did give Falco the same FS as well. So perhaps my feelings are wrong. Perhaps they just rushed the Final Smashes.

Pociask

It is kinda crazy how they're sticking to Captain-Falcon-clon-dorf.

Melee came out in 2001, so obviously it featured OOT's Ganondorf - a character from 1998. Since the release of Melee, we've seen the release of:

2002 - Wind Waker. Arguably the best Ganondorf representation of all time. Visually distinct from previous and later incarnations.
2004 - Four Swords. Honestly, I didn't play it, so I can't offer much, but he's there!
2006 -Twilight Princess. An updated OoT Ganondorf, for a modern age.
2011 - Skyward Sword - geez, 6 years after TP was originally supposed to ship. Anyway. Dorf's not here, but the Big Bad is pretty obviously tied to Dorf - Hyrule Warriors picked up on this in making an alt based on him.

And after all that, we're basically still getting the 2001 clone-version of a 1998 character. At least he didn't get Star Wolfed?

Zubz

Banned
Any WiiU related pics as of late?

Yeah, just stages the past 2 Fridays. Still, they've been the best pics of the week!

Point taken. Perhaps it is the Final Smash is why I feel that way. Something about the FS feels really rushed. Then again, they did give Falco the same FS as well. So perhaps my feelings are wrong.

Honestly, I think it was simply a lazy Final Smash just like Falco's. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes a simple X painted over the screen is just a simple X painted over the screen.

Zubz

Banned
Piss off a bunch of wrong people.

Basically. Sure, it'd be a 3rd Metroid rep with Samus in the name, but it's not actually Samus Aran herself, and if done right, would play nothing like the original, unlike Dark Pit, who is nothing but a clone of Pit anyway, and thus has the same skills set, just an angstier personality.
Even the whole "unlimited flight" aspect of Dark Pit's gone by the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom