• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
New stage accidentally revealed through Smash Bros. Facebook page, most likely scenario is that it's from Kirby Super Star, which did not appear on the Tower of Smash stage list.

Okay, that's a pretty big mark against it. I still want it to be true in some fashion, since I do like the concept of the Tower of Smash.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The secret characters are almost certainly going to be revealed in the order they're unlocked via VS matches (that's the order they're listed in right now), so Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and R.O.B. should be next. Though the clones could be skipped for the end, I suppose.

I was just thinking Sakurai might save the Newcomers for last, though.

Hopefully in HD he'll look like Ganondorf, the Great King of Evil.

In the 3DS version he's just Ganondork.

hJ97Y99.png

I literally couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw that face a week ago.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, for the record, the Tower of Smash leak copied SpainKiller (well, I mean, unless he's legit), except Impa being added.

So Ridley, Mewtwo, Chorus Kids, Dixie, they still have a chance.

Also I realized, that Facebook Pic spoiling the new Kirby Stage, we'll probably see it this week, right? Personally though, I hope tonight is another surprise Secret Character blowout. Bet we'll see Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, and Doc next.

Not to defend those fake leaks but I had to say. So do that meant Spainkiller copied the leak from 4chan that leaked those 4 characters way before Spainkiller mentioned that by your hearsay.

It was leaked on June 29, iirc.

Watch Da Birdie

What happened to Sonic's taunts?

They suck so much now,

Sonic Speed..... -_-

Come on..... -_-

I guess people found them annoying.

I actually really like Sonic's new voice, in terms of his grunts and such. One of the reasons I like using him more now.

Jawmuncher

New stage accidentally revealed through Smash Bros. Facebook page, most likely scenario is that it's from Kirby Super Star, which did not appear on the Tower of Smash stage list.

Hopefully in HD he'll look like Ganondorf, the Great King of Evil.

In the 3DS version he's just Ganondork.

hJ97Y99.png

It's GROOSE!
He decided to comb back his hair and wear face paint.

Drago

We'll most likely get filler pics for the WiiU most/ some of the time.

I can't imagine us getting new info every day in till release.
I'm hoping we get 1 new WiiU stage a week until the release of the game, and hey we've gone 3 weeks in a row now with a stage reveal for WiiU (albeit one being a returning stage, but still), so who knows? We'll probably get Great Cave Offensive this week since it was accidentally leaked, lol. Super excited about the stage too, love GCO and Super Star in general!

And I'm also guessing we'll get 3 more secret characters every Friday until they're all revealed. Will probably be wrong about that though.

So here's what I'm think on stages.

The confirmed new stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Mario Galaxy
-Mushroom Kingdom U
-Skyloft
-Pyrosphere
-Great Cave Offensive
-Orbital Gate
-Kalos Pokemon League
-Coliseum
-Gamer
-Palutena's Temple
-Garden of Hope
-Town & City
-Boxing Ring
-Wii Fit Studio
-Gaur Plain
-Pilotwings
-Windy Hill
-Wily Castle
-Pac Land

That's 21 so far. The 3DS has 25 total, if you were wondering. The rest of the new stages, I'm thinking are split into a few categories.

Past character franchises without a stage in either version yet (barring R.O.B. for obvious reasons):
-Donkey Kong
-Yoshi
-Game & Watch

Hinted at via the list of character/stage franchises in the 3DS version's code that are unaccounted for:
-Wrecking Crew
-Miiverse
-Wii Sports Resort

Likely further franchise representation for the 3 most popular franchises:
-Mario
-Another Mario
-The Legend of Zelda
-Pokemon

That would leave only F-Zero and Earthbound as the franchises represented solely through returning stages (and R.O.B. and Duck Hunt would have no stage at all, but whatever). This is what I think is a relatively likely outcome. It would give us 31 new stages, equivalent to Brawl.

But there's some leeway back and forth on this. I'm not entirely convinced that there will be another Pokemon or Zelda stage--it may be that in order to represent more franchises they had to dig into the more well represented to find time and resources. Mario may get along with only three as well.

Donkey Kong and Yoshi I'm 100% on--the original trailer for SSB4 had a new rendition of a DKCR-esque jungle, so they have to be thinking of environments there I would think. Plus, I mean, come on, it's Donkey Kong. The only way Donkey Kong has no new stage in either version is if Sakurai has completely lost the plot, and I don't think he's there yet.

On Yoshi we know there is a new rendition of the Yoshi's Island level theme that was heard in the direct but is not at all present in the 3DS version, so it has to go somewhere, and SSB3DS took the one past stage it could really fit on (and we know the two versions don't share past stages). Plus, the only other past stage Yoshi has available to pull from Brawl is Melee's Yoshi's Island, which is a Super Mario World stage and is more a Mario stage than a Yoshi stage, really. I don't see that being Yoshi's only stage.

With the hinted at franchises, I'm least certain on Wii Sports Resort, as it is kind of redundant with Pilotwings and it may be a dropped stage concept that was merged into Pilotwings. On the other hand, reusing Wuhu Island would be a cheap way to make more stages and is kind of in character for Wuhu Island if you think about it, so that's certainly a possibility.

I was hoping that Magicant and Mute City would make it into the Wii U version, but I'm afraid that's probably unlikely. I can't help but feel that if Magicant were in the Wii U version it would have been shown on Ness's character page on the official website, but it's not, just Onett. I think Onett will be the only Earthbound stage.

That's my little thing on stages, I need to go to bed, gotta get up early tomorrow.

Drago

Wait, holy fucking shit there was a Miiverse stage hinted at in the 3DS code?!

That's seriously my most wanted stage if it works like the way I imagine it to (on a platform that live updates with real Miiverse messages on it). I will be fucking ecstatic if it actually happens. It would be the most hilarious stage ever.

it looks more like a tropical freeze stage to me, it reminds of the kong ruins levels. The main thing the says great cave offensive is two in the cart (although dk did that sort of) and kirby. But still i say DK stage.

Jawmuncher

Wait, holy fucking shit there was a Miiverse stage hinted at in the 3DS code?!

That's seriously my most wanted stage if it works like the way I imagine it to (on a platform that live updates with real Miiverse messages on it). I will be fucking ecstatic if it actually happens. It would be the most hilarious stage ever.

Would be really cool if it was indeed a stage that could have a live feed if played online.

jnWake

it looks more like a tropical freeze stage to me, it reminds of the kong ruins levels. The main thing the says great cave offensive is two in the cart (although dk did that sort of) and kirby. But still i say DK stage.

I think the cart design (along with the comment) pretty much confirm it is a Kirby stage/something.

The gate and wall is a pretty dead giveaway. Look the right in the cart image. Same gate design, same indentation, it's the Old Tower in GCO

Svafnir

I wonder what the single player is even going to be in the Wii U version. Nintendo did release some cinematics with some of the character trailers... Is that going to be in the single player, or was that really only for promotion? Doesn't make sense. Maybe for a giant intro video, but not sure there either.

Fandangox

Haven't been reading this thread in a while. WOW didn't know Ness, Falco and Wario were shown in the Wii U version already.

Ness looks AMAZING in the Wii U version and I laughed at the wrestling pic with Falco.

I think I need to find some California bros to play this game with online because For Glory for me is a lag fest. It could be me though. I wish you could at least select region and see some sort of ping/connection indicator.

Zubz

Banned
What happened to Sonic's taunts?

They suck so much now,

Sonic Speed..... -_-

Come on..... -_-

Truly, this game's greatest nerf. ... And I'm not entirely joking; with friends, I had a tendency to lure them into dangerous situations by using that "You're too slow" taunt, and it worked more than it ever should have. I guess Roger Craig Smith didn't want to come off as annoying, but it's more annoying hearing "SONIC SPEED" when I should be reminding the others of how fast they're going. Which is to say, far from enough. Thankfully, "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" more than makes up for it. Add in Falco's "Get some!" and I'm set.

So here's what I'm think on stages.

As much as I wanted to see something rivaling Mode 7: The Stage and Magicant, I can see this being the case. Hoping that maybe they'll be added via DLC, though. And maybe poor ROB'll finally have a home, too! Granted, after playing the 3DS version, maybe I'm just hungry for stages?

Side Note: I'm with you on the Wii Sports Resort stage being Pilotwings, since they're both Wuhu Island, although you bring up a good point of it being its own stage as well as half of the PIlotwings one.

Watch Da Birdie

My favorite Taunt is the one Pac-Man Namco character that goes "ALIVE ALIVE", the Galaga ship I guess...or is that what it says?

Watch Da Birdie

pretty sure its "alert"

Yeah, and it turns out it's Bosconian. Jeez, though, watching it on Youtube seems the "voice actor" can barely pronounce anything.

I need to get the Namco Arcades that are on the PSN now.

Zubz

Banned
My favorite Taunt is the one Pac-Man Namco character that goes "ALIVE ALIVE", the Galaga ship I guess...or is that what it says?

I dunno, the roulette's great, but I like the one where he just lays down and dreamily looks up at the ghosts while kicking his legs in the air.

"Hey Pac-Man, whatcha thinkin' about?"
"Y'know man. Ghosts and stuff."

Watch Da Birdie

Even though the Wii U Version has a Pac-Man Stage, I'd love it if we got a general "Namco Arcade" stage that switched between them.

At the very least, I hope we get Legend of Valkyrie and Tower of Druaga (if the Tower of Smash rumor's true, apparently it's based off that) stage music at least.

I remember that castle from Super Star, pretty fun.

So Impa is down, but what about the other 4? Didn't that one GAFer mention them, or is there room for interpretation?

What specifically deconfirms Impa in particular? Isn't just the entire leak deconfirmed?

Though I would have loved all those characters.

Mr Buddy

Even though the Wii U Version has a Pac-Man Stage, I'd love it if we got a general "Namco Arcade" stage that switched between them.
That would be super awesome! I want some more dig-dug representation.

Slightly off topic, but I'm still a little bit disappointed that the gameboy stage didn't switch between other games besides Kirby. A Tetris themed level/transition seems like a no brainer.

Watch Da Birdie

I remember that castle from Super Star, pretty fun.

What specifically deconfirms Impa in particular? Isn't just the entire leak deconfirmed?

Though I would have loved all those characters.

Spainkiller never mentioned Impa, the Tower of Smash rumor was the first time she was mentioned in regards to the rumor he made about inter-connectivity.

However, she was mentioned quite often alongside Dixie, Mewtwo, and Ridley around the time the DHD/Bowser Jr. rumors popped up, such as in one /v/ post.

Fandangox

Are Wii Fit and Duck Hunt the only repped smash bros games that never had a game on handhelds? (including ports)

Because Wii Fit doesn't have a stage on the 3ds version, but it does on Wii U. I wonder if it will be the same for Duck Hunt.

Are Wii Fit and Duck Hunt the only repped smash bros games that never had a game on handhelds? (including ports)

Because Wii Fit doesn't have a stage on the 3ds version, but it does on Wii U. I wonder if it will be the same for Duck Hunt.

Punch Out

(Unless you wanna count virtual console as a port.)

random fact of the day: the last time one of these threads went this long was back in thread 9

(to be expected of course, now that the hype is gone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom