• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mind explaining?

It's Marth, so the hitbox is weird as hell by nature.

For real, the sword swing actually starts behind him and goes over his head, and it has a hitbox to go with it (think of it kind of like a slightly smaller reversed up tilt). But you don't usually see anyone use the full dancing blade, and presumably Mango didn't know about that. So M2K, being M2K, used that to his advantage to hit Fox approaching from behind.

Azure J

Honestly, that hitbox isn't weird at all, it does follow the animation and make sense. It is still unexpected for most people though.

Weird Marth hit boxes are when you get hit with a fair that's facing away from you twice into a spike. *Cues Anthony for that gif*

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, let's talk DLC.

I was thinking one of the more likely things I think we'll get are more costumes. They're easier to do, and something that's common in Fighting Games. What costumes (and possibly Alt Characters?) do you expect?

As for Alts, Proto Man, possibly Ms. Pac-Man, and like Metal Sonic seem possible for the 3rd Parties, as they all share the same basic size, shape, and have all the same moves more or less. They'd need to change up Metal Sonic the most, since he usually "floats" instead of runs, but it doesn't seem too hard. I'd say Shadow would be a better choice, but he's an AT...

As for costumes, I think I'd love Golden Mario and Silver Luigi from NSMB2, that'd be neat, but I'd guess it would interfere with Golden Plains Gimmick. I had a great idea for Yoshi today too, give him costumes that have him wear Mario, Luigi, and Wario's hat, like in Mario 64 DS.

Jaeger

Proto Man for DLC Skin.

tumblr_n8aderSZuE1rmec6bo1_1280.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It'd be even nice if Protoman was a seperate clone...

Maybe make him basically the same as Mega Man, but since he has a shield, maybe have a gimmick where he takes less damage from the front?

Berordn

It'd be even nice if Protoman was a seperate clone...

Maybe make him basically the same as Mega Man, but since he has a shield, maybe have a gimmick where he takes less damage from the front?

Make him like MM9/10 Protoman. Block projectiles with Proto Shield (like Link and Toon Link) and give him Proto Coil and Proto Jet for recovery, but make him much easier to launch and only able to fire two shots at a time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So, let's talk DLC.

I was thinking one of the more likely things I think we'll get are more costumes. They're easier to do, and something that's common in Fighting Games. What costumes (and possibly Alt Characters?) do you expect?

As for Alts, Proto Man, possibly Ms. Pac-Man, and like Metal Sonic seem possible for the 3rd Parties, as they all share the same basic size, shape, and have all the same moves more or less. They'd need to change up Metal Sonic the most, since he usually "floats" instead of runs, but it doesn't seem too hard. I'd say Shadow would be a better choice, but he's an AT...

As for costumes, I think I'd love Golden Mario and Silver Luigi from NSMB2, that'd be neat, but I'd guess it would interfere with Golden Plains Gimmick. I had a great idea for Yoshi today too, give him costumes that have him wear Mario, Luigi, and Wario's hat, like in Mario 64 DS.

It might be just me but I can't really see any costume DLC for Smash. Smash isn't really that kind of game for it.

Zubz

Banned
So, let's talk DLC.

I'm with you on Golden Mario/Silver Luigi being impossible, but I like the Yoshi idea a lot, and I've made my stance on Proto Man, Ms. Pac-Man, & Metal Sonic known, which is to say, I want them injected into my bloodstream.

I'm also going to put it out there again that I'd like for Daisy and Blood Falcon to be promoted to full Alt status ala Alph, as well as a Justin Bailey outfit for Samus. Maybe more hoodie costumes for Mac/boxer costumes for Shulk, too? When I heard Little Mac had 16 costumes, I assumed it was 4 normal, 4 hoodie, 4 wireframe, 4 wireframe + hoodie, but it looks like there's only 1 hoodie and 1 wireframe +hoodie, I was hoping for a Rocky-style gray hoodie, but oh well.

What I would want:
Bump Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Villager, and Olimar/Alph total colors to 16, just like Little Mac.

Maybe 2 more costumes for everyone else.
In terms of those, I'd want Pajamas Toon Link, Justin Bailey colors for Zero Suit Samus, and Sunshine "casual" Mario.

McNum

Okay, Ness is not a latency friendly character. But he sure is fun to use. Especially when the opponent doesn't know what PK Magnet does. But he's fun enough that he's on my team now. Palutena, Zelda, Lucina, Ness, and maybe Mega Man. That should cover most bases. Might need a big bruiser, too, but we'll see if any of them catch my attention.

maybe roll is in the game and we don't know it

has anyone tried making an S shape with the cursor across the character select screen
i bet shadow lady is there too

Zubz

Banned
What I would want:
Bump Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Villager, and Olimar/Alph total colors to 16, just like Little Mac.

Maybe 2 more costumes for everyone else.
In terms of those, I'd want Pajamas Toon Link, Justin Bailey colors for Zero Suit Samus, and Sunshine "casual" Mario.

I forgot I needed Sunshine Mario, but we all really do. Like, there is no alt more necessary, even if it doesn't immediately spring to mind.

The Sega rep we all dream of!

I get it! ... I think.

But why must we fight him?

Because, unfortunately, Bass doesn't realize that we are not enemies.

this is also the truth

why isn't there a roll trophy?

... There isn't?!

maybe roll is in the game and we don't know it

has anyone tried making an S shape with the cursor across the character select screen
i bet shadow lady is there too

Ha! Best form of hidden characters.
Keep trying, guys, maybe that's how we'll find Snake!
Truth be told, I kinda want Roll as an alt now, too, if not an Assist Trophy. She makes more sense than Elec Man, I think. Didn't she have a healing move in TvC? That might've been nice.

...Man, now I really want to find an arcade cabinet for an old Capcom Fighter. Maybe it's because I was listening to the Third Strike OST, but now I have a mighty thirst for those classics. Too bad arcades are kinda dead, and if you can find one, it just has "ticket takers"...

Azure J

fuck now i'm gonna be disappointed if kaze yo tsutaete isn't on wily castle

There are so many songs through the entire Megaman franchise that I will be disappointed in not seeing but simultaneously know won't make it because if we used all that music, the game would max out that not blu-ray disc it's on.

Net Battle (Battle Network 1 boss theme), Battle Spirit (MMBN2 boss theme)/And You Will Know The Truth (WWW NetArea)/Vs. Gospel, Boss Battle (MMBN3)/Great Battlers/Vs. Alpha, Battle With Myself (the only good thing about Battle Network 4), Surge of Power (MMBN6 boss theme)/Two of Braves (the kickass endgame net area theme)/Vs. Falzar/Gregar, Crash (MMZero boss theme)/Enemy Hall (Neo Arcadia shrine)/Neo Arcadia Core/Fake (MMZ final boss theme)/For Endless Fight/Theme of Zero (MMZ credits theme), Departure (Megaman Zero 2's opening stage)/Ice Brain/Supreme Ruler, Infiltration II/Cold Smile/Scrapped Beat, Esperanto (Zero 4 opening stage 2)/Nothing Beats (Zero 4 boss theme)/Falling Down (Zero series final boss), Megaman X's opening stage/Storm Eagle/Launch Octopus, Zero's Theme/Gravity Beetle (X3), Opening Stage X (X4 version) vs. Geetz (Legends 2), Flutter vs Gesellschaft (Legends 1), Tornado Man/Splash Woman/Flash In The Dark/We're The Robots/Strange World (MM9), King's Castle Stage (MM&Bass), Silent Rain/Abandoned Memory/Deep In Space (MM10)...

I could go on and on and I didn't even touch stage themes too well here.

Edit: Added a few more must haves. :lol

Azure J

how about the very first one:

Bx2UAVVCQAAIE-p.png

Oh wow, how didn't I see that, lmao

I have a good number of friends pissed off about 4 FE reps over other franchises who're gonna get a ton of mileage out of this.

The amount of literal rage I've seen both online and IRL when this set in as a fact was LEGENDARY. Never mind the fact that Fire Emblem is a near 25 year old series with hundreds of candidates and story lines that could be represented at any one moment.

Oh wow, how didn't I see that, lmao

The amount of literal rage I've seen both online and IRL when this set in as a fact was LEGENDARY. Never mind the fact that Fire Emblem is a near 25 year old series with hundreds of candidates and story lines that could be represented at any one moment.
I'm totally cool with FE having 4 reps (helps I loved Awakening and it was my introduction to the series, so having both Robin and Lucina instead of Chrom replacing Ike was a godsend), but I'll admit I can kinda see why it having more reps than DK/Metroid/Kirby rubs other people the wrong way.

"But... but... sword users!"

This is the best:

ByLtHwvIMAAb5tO.png:large

Veeboy

So, let's talk DLC.

All of these are wants only a couple are expected
Peach Alt: Daisy (proper Daisy, none of this alt color crap)
ZSS Alt: Justin Bailey
Ness Alt: Paula/Lucas
Zelda/Link/Sheik/Ganondorf Alts: Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword skins (I could take Demise for Ganondorf, but I'd like to see Sheik and Ganondorf done in the Skyward Sword style)
Sheik Alt: Skyward Sword Impa
Pacman Alt: Ms. Pacman
Villager Alt: Animal villagers from City Folk/Wild World

how about the very first one:

Bx2UAVVCQAAIE-p.png
Oh god my sides

Cse

Banned
I'm not sure why I'm just now finding out about this, but are we seriously not able to adjust the frequency with which items appear now?

They appear way too frequently when enabled, yet there doesn't appear to be a way to lower the frequency at all.

If this option isn't available in the Wii U version, I'm going to be incredibly disappointed. There is zero reason to remove game customization options.

Berordn

There is zero reason to remove game customization options.

3DS limitations.

They did adjust item frequency for the Wii U version during the invitational, so it seems like that's still a thing there. The 3DS version is just half baked all around.

3DS limitations.

They did adjust item frequency for the Wii U version during the invitational, so it seems like that's still a thing there. The 3DS version is just half baked all around.
How about setting item frequency lower to what it is at the moment, without turning it off outright? That doesn't strike me as a limitation, just a weird oversight. Same with Special Matches being in Smash Run only.

Vylash

3DS limitations.

The very existence of the 3DS version will never cease to confuse me

Cse

Banned
How about setting item frequency lower to what it is at the moment, without turning it off outright?

Exactly this.

The frequency is far too high at the moment, at least for me (and many others). There is no reason at all to not to allow users to lower the item frequency from this default value.

Berordn

How about setting item frequency lower to what it is at the moment, without turning it off outright? That doesn't strike me as a limitation, just a weird oversight. Same with Special Matches being in Smash Run only.

I'd guess that it has to do with how many items the engine on 3DS can actually handle at once when it comes to certain items that used to spawn more often (Pokeballs?), and they left it static to make it less obvious? But yeah, it's some dumb stuff. The Special Matches especially.

Has the 3DS always had an "OK to Join" option from the Friend's List? If someone is in Smash I can join their game from right there just by clicking a button

Haha at that Pokemon stadium smash fact
Why did Ash never win , infinite L's

They should add the yoshis island mini/mid world boss music , that song always makes me smile :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom