• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is absolutely what is needed. A mode similar to omega mode that takes the FD version of the stage, but with a randomized platform arrangement above the stage.

I wouldn't want randomized. But having different platform formations on each stage (different amounts, different heights, different positions, there is a LOT they could do) would be so amazing. SO amazing.

Battlefield, FD, Town and City, Smashville, Pilotwings, Skyloft, Castle Siege, Halberd (stupid east coast bastards better not ban this again), probably Kalos Pokemon League

more stages than Melee! weeee

lol; When did he say this? O:
Not long after Uprising was released; part of me thinks he was a bit bitter about the mixed reception to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to it though.
250,000 would be like the worst selling FE game. Even Shadow Dragon sold better than that.

It's still odd that Sakurai added a newcomer from a series that quite likely could've had no future.

Moonlight

Banned
...and? Fire Emblem still had a 'future'. There were games being made and planned, and regardless of when this roster was finalized. If Awakening was not out yet when the roster being made, then Awakening was a future Fire Emblem game of uncertain success. If it was finalized after it came out then Awakening was a total success and Fire Emblem's security would be guaranteed.

And Kid Icarus is still an active franchise that moreover Sakurai was personally responsible for reinventing. And whether or not Sakurai is going to make the next Kid Icarus game, it's still not a dead franchise because if Nintendo is interested in pursuing a sequel, they have every means to, and the game itself was fairly successful.

Ever since Sakurai explained his rationale, there's been this need to go 'AHA BUT LOOK AT HOW CONTRADICTORY YOU ARE, MR. SAKURAI' when really he's been perfectly consistent to his own criteria, and all of the supposed contradictions are either pretty silly or specifically made an exception out of based on extenuating circumstances.

The only cut by his own logic that doesn't make sense is Mewtwo.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it too much to ask for stages with a floating main platform, some smaller platforms above it, and...nothing else? Green Greens, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, etc? Town and City and Windy Hill are the only new stages that meets these requirements, which are just 2 of the 19 already announced stages. Most of these stages just seem like should be in Mario Party, not Smash.

If I understand you correctly so you are concerned about tournament legal stages.

Battlefield, Final Destination, Town and City, Smashville, and Pilotwing apparently to be a great tournament stages, along with Castle Siege, Skyloft, Halberd and Garden of Hope being fantastic counter pick stage.

Also we are not done with stages yet so you still have a chance to get good stages.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not long after Uprising was released; part of me thinks he was a bit bitter about the mixed reception to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to it though.

It's still odd that Sakurai added a newcomer from a series that quite likely could've had no future.

I don't think Awakening bombing and being the worst selling FE game ever was "likely" at any point.

And Sakurai doesn't like making sequels, that's probably why he said he doesn't want to follow up KI:U. And it's why people keep speculating he may not return for the next Smash game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hopefully we've only seen half of the stages in the game. If there are only 35 stages in the Wii U version as well, I am going to quite disappointed.

I'm easily pleased because I always play with many different styles of Smash with friends, smashgaf, families, etc. I can be very completive with people who taking smash serious but I can play as causal if I want to when people want to play for fun.

I'm easily pleased because I always play with many different styles of Smash with friends, smashgaf, families, etc. I can be very completive with people who taking smash serious but I can play as causal if I want to when people want to play for fun.
Also cause you got the character you wanted in

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
35 stages on Wii U would be disappointing because that would be less than Brawl. Brawl had nearly 35 NEW stages, not even factoring in retro ones.

(and more stages means more potential for good stages)

I don't think Awakening bombing and being the worst selling FE game ever was "likely" at any point.
"Likely" was probably the wrong term to use here - "possibly" the last in the series. Even if 250,000 copies would be less than any other entry, it was still important enough that they actually made a point about it.
Yeah, Awakening got me into the series. I cannot believe I missed out on it. Nintendo really did not market the game series.
Ditto. It's a shame other entries are so expensive, but I have a friend with the Radiant games who will let me borrow them.

Advertising a game lead to the game actually selling well - who could've expected that?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you hate Yellow Devil you should make your voice known on Miiverse or something. I mean we have experience with the stage thanks to the 3DS port so it's not like one can be accused of making assumptions and even if it's not possible to disable him in time for launch, the Wii U version is the more likely one to get proper patches so perhaps a disable button could be a future addition.

If you hate Yellow Devil you should make your voice known on Miiverse or something. I mean we have experience with the stage thanks to the 3DS port so it's not like one can be accused of making assumptions and even if it's not possible to disable him in time for launch, the Wii U version is the more likely one to get proper patches so perhaps a disable button could be a future addition.

It's worth a shot. MiiVerse has influenced Super Smash Bros. before.

eQ46KtL.jpg
yivhgpB.jpg

NeonZ

ironically, Fire Emblem has never been more alive

That's not really true. In spite of selling less, it was more alive back during the GBA/GC era, when we got one game announced after the other. Even two at once with Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance at one point, with pictures and such for both at once.

Right now, more than two years after Awakening, we still have no news about the future of the series at all aside from the SMT x FE announcement with no other information or images.

250,000 would be like the worst selling FE game. Even Shadow Dragon sold better than that.

If they were talking about Japanese numbers, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn failed to match 250k by quite a bit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's not really true. In spite of selling less, it was more alive back during the GBA/GC era, when we got one game announced after the other. Even two at once with Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance at one point, with pictures and such for both at once.

Right now, more than two years after Awakening, we still have no news about the future of the series at all aside from the SMT x FE announcement with no other information or images.

If they were talking about Japanese numbers, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn failed to match 250k by quite a bit.

I was assuming it was WW numbers, can't imagine they didn't have plans to localize it since the 3DS was still young and in need of software.

Uh, I'm talking about stages.

You need to lay off with the salts there. :p I know you really want Ridley but Ridley still have a chance to be in game if Spainkiller and other sources are right.

i need more salt ):

I'm not going to get a golden sun stage/character either, which is so upsetting.

actually, assuming stages like Orbital Gate (pls don't) and Kalos Pokemon League aren't randomly dumped with hazards, the stages revealed so far have been pretty good for tournaments:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville (thanks Sakurai!)

Starter/Counterpick
Pilotwings
Castle Siege

Counterpick
Halberd (aka east coast stop being scrubs)
Skyloft

likely/could potentially be a counterpick, but more info is needed
(probably)
Kalos Pokemon League
Garden of Hope

(currently a tossup)
Orbital Gate
Windy Hill

(probably not)
Mushroom Kingdom U

Banned
everything else*
Palutena's Temple: MEGABANNED

*in the unlikely event that Ridley is actually not a boss on Pyrosphere, it'd probably be a starter/counterpick

would sure be nice if there was a stage hazard/boss toggle, could move Wily's Castle, Pyrosphere, and Magicant up among others

Okrag

actually, assuming stages like Orbital Gate (pls don't) and Kalos Pokemon League aren't randomly dumped with hazards, the stages revealed so far have been pretty good for tournaments:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville (thanks Sakurai!)

Starter/Counterpick
Pilotwings
Castle Siege

Counterpick
Halberd (aka east coast stop being scrubs)
Skyloft

likely/could potentially be a counterpick, but more info is needed
(probably)
Kalos Pokemon League

(currently a tossup)
Orbital Gate
Windy Hill

(probably not)
Mushroom Kingdom U
Garden of Hope (it looks like a walkoff on the right side...? would move up if not)

Banned
everything else*
Palutena's Temple: MEGABANNED

*in the unlikely event that Ridley is actually not a boss on Pyrosphere, it'd probably be a starter/counterpick

would sure be nice if there was a stage hazard/boss toggle, could move Wily's Castle, Pyrosphere, and Magicant up among others

lkigd0Y.jpg

I don't think Garden of Hope is a walkoff.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with Halberd? The walkoff is gone very quickly and doesn't return, and the hazards are easily avoidable (and infrequent).

Counterpick seems fine for it.

And what's the gimmick on Garden of Hope? Because that picture definitely looks like counterpick material, if not starter.

Garden of Hope doesn't have a walkoff. It does however have a really silly tall thin wall thing.

And Magicant isn't in the Wii U version so far as we know.

for some reason I thought the right part of the stage extended all the way to the blast zone, not realizing that was part of the background >_>

and I know Magicant isn't on the Wii U version (at least yet), but the 3DS version is actually lacking in tournament stages (not that it will matter soon, I guess....)

What's wrong with Halberd? The walkoff is gone very quickly and doesn't return, and the hazards are easily avoidable.

And what's the gimmick on Garden of Hope? Because that picture definitely looks like counterpick material, if not starter.
The only gimmick are the tin lifts on the sides--lowering one raises the other. But I would think the silly stick wall thing would prevent it from ever being a starter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what the stick is or how it works. Do you have to jump over it or something? I thought it was in the background just by looking at the picture.

What's wrong with Halberd? The walkoff is gone very quickly and doesn't return, and the hazards are easily avoidable (and infrequent).

Halberd is cause east coast (or at least the Apex guys, but I think it's the whole region cause they're known for being the most conservative region in the US on stages) is lame

Garden of Hope got moved up to probably status, simply because even though it looks fine we haven't actually played on it yet (I think)
also idk what that stick is doing

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting Orbital Gate to be banned even if it doesn't have problematic hazards. It looks like it will essentially be a scrolling stage somewhat similar to Poke Floats.

I'm expecting Orbital Gate to be banned even if it doesn't have problematic hazards. It looks like it will essentially be a scrolling stage somewhat similar to Poke Floats.

#LegalizePokeFloats

nah but seriously since nothing in the few screenshots we actually have scream "BANNED" I'll leave it there for now

RoySFNR

Just got done playing atleast 2 hours against the same guy in For Glory. Anyone got any tips for dealing with ZSS? She recovers really fast from her moves and has a lot more priority on her attacks compared to Marth (atleast, that's how I experienced it..)

Not sure how I feel about Marth anyway. I like him better than Lucina since correctly spacing a tipper is really satisfying but his combo potential is so low this game. Just might stick to Link until the Wii U version drops.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just got done playing atleast 2 hours against the same guy in For Glory. Anyone got any tips for dealing with ZSS? She recovers really fast from her moves and has a lot more priority on her attacks compared to Marth (atleast, that's how I experienced it..)

Not sure how I feel about Marth anyway. I like him better than Lucina since correctly spacing a tipper is really satisfying but his combo potential is so low this game. Just might stick to Link until the Wii U version drops.

You have to be careful with your approaches, Marth has a lot of lag at the end of many of his moves so against a player that knows what they are doing, they will punish whiffs. It doesn't help that Marth's grab game was nerfed, I think it's kind of hard to follow up a lot of his throws (plus Smash 4's grab delay). But you also get the benefit on input lag in For Glory (I guess, all my matches have had some lag unless a CPU replaced the opponent) so that should make it a bit harder to punish those whiffs?

Lack of platforms in For Glory probably also hurts him since you can't use them for combos.

Garden of Hope doesn't have a walkoff. It does however have a really silly tall thin wall thing.

And Magicant isn't in the Wii U version so far as we know.

I didn't realize this stage was so small. I thought it was way bigger.

Also that stick is probably breakable, meaning you can't infinite off of it and it probably won't be that big of a deal. I think this stage would at worst be a counterpick.

Considering that patching stuff in is going to happen for sure (amiibos for 3DS version), I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stage boss toggle switch, especially if bosses are going to be common. We know about Yellow Devil, Ridley is incredibly likely to just be a stage hazard, and Metal Face's appearance in Shulk's trailer indicates that he'll be in somehow, and we haven't seen it yet.

Moonlight

Banned
I suppose you could hope that the 3DS just omitted anything related to modifying the parameters or conditions of a fight for some bizarre technical reason (like the baffling absence of item frequency toggling) and that the WiiU is going to have all that and the kitchen sink.

I am very unconvinced that Sakurai is going to compromise on the whole matter, myself.

I'm probably the only here who can see Ridley being both a boss and a playable character.

It would make sense if you ask me.

I honestly think that if we see Ridley as a stage boss in Pyrosphere, Ridley won't be playable as anything other than maybe a stage boss. Meta Ridley can't fill in in the same way Alfonzo could for Toon Link.

Cse

Banned
I think people need to just give it up. The Wii U version won't have additional characters waiting to be unlocked, and any DLC will likely be 6+ months out, assuming we get any at all.

And, if we do ever get DLC, it's more than likely going to be Lucas, Wolf, and perhaps Mewtwo.

I really don't think we'll ever see Ridley, Chorus Kids, Impa, or Dixie Kong - they've all been nothing more than unsubstantiated rumors.

I think people need to just give it up. The Wii U version won't have additional characters waiting to be unlocked, and any DLC will likely be 6+ months out, assuming we get any at all.

And, if we do ever get DLC, it's more than likely going to be Lucas, Wolf, and perhaps Mewtwo.

I really don't think we'll ever see Ridley, Chorus Kids, Impa, or Dixie Kong - they've all been nothing more than unsubstantiated rumors.

You're thinking too small.

I suppose you could hope that the 3DS just omitted anything related to modifying the parameters or conditions of a fight for some bizarre technical reason (like the baffling absence of item frequency toggling) and that the WiiU is going to have all that and the kitchen sink.

I am very unconvinced that Sakurai is going to compromise on the whole matter, myself.

I think the 3DS version was a little rushed, while the Wii U version doesn't appear to be.

Considering that patching stuff in is going to happen for sure (amiibos for 3DS version), I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stage boss toggle switch, especially if bosses are going to be common. We know about Yellow Devil, Ridley is incredibly likely to just be a stage hazard, and Metal Face's appearance in Shulk's trailer indicates that he'll be in somehow, and we haven't seen it yet.

Oh great, Metal Face can go ahead and ruin a perfectly good stage like all the other bosses!

They'll definitely be more than canceled vets for DLC. This is Smash Brothers.

As for Ridley I always have hopes but I feel like Sakurai's strong control for the franchise and his enjoyment at trolling the fanbase means Ridley isn't playable. There is one main reason I want someone other than Sakurai to take over and that's because consistently ignoring the such a strong want of a fanbase is just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom