• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay.. but seriously.. in a world of Alts as an option, no one wants to see Dr. Mario or Dark Pit be separate characters.

The game is ripe with custom moves. They could outsource some character model skin design to some korean dudes and in a week they'd have a couple dozen amazing looking alt skins, then Sakurai just has to have his team associate the already in the game custom moves with the applicable alt skins.

I'm happy we have what we have, but the characters ought to be more consistent.

Doctor Mario and Dark Pit should be Alts. Alts should be a thing from the beginning really. Each character could have 1 or 2 alts, and fitted with appropriate custom moves. You can't tell me they, 4 games in, didn't plan out, from the beginning, more than just 'each character gets 7 lazy recolors'

I really wouldn't have a problem with the clones if Lucas and Wolf didn't inexplicably disappear.
I guess the argument would be they're more significantly different to their counterparts than any of SSB4's clones are to theirs (especially Wolf), though I'd be weirded out as hell if they don't get back in if/when character DLC happens.

Jawmuncher

I think character design is important. Super Smash Bros. is a series about Nintendo history, so I think a really diverse set of characters is great.

Yep that's my biggest issue.
He doesn't diversify the roster in terms of looks.
I know that might be a childish thing like sakurai says but it just kinda irks me.
Since that's easily the biggest part of the series.

I've gotten over Dark Pit and Doctor Mario (got over Lucina a while ago), but I'm still really bothered by the fact that Olimar went down by two colors and has to share the other four with Alph. Little Mac gets sixteen, and Pit essentially gets sixteen spread out amongst him and Dark Pit. Olimar should get eight skins, Alph should get eight skins. I wouldn't be nearly as bothered then.

I'd love it if Wario got some more colors too (like the ones he lost from Brawl), and the male/female variants of Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager did too.

Yep that's my biggest issue.
He doesn't diversify the roster in terms of looks.
I know that might be a childish thing like sakurai says but it just kinda irks me.
Since that's easily the biggest part of the series.

Gameplay is important, but he could give WiiMote Safety Man the most unique playstyle to date and it wouldn't change the fact that he's not an important Nintendo character.

I'm honestly not sure if I understand the hangup over whether or not something shows on the character select screen, or why people would want characteristic differences removed and have them reduced to merely an alt. I can't say I know how much development time goes into fleshing out an alt into a clone, but Sakurai sees to indicate it's pretty trivial, so I'm inclined to believe it's not really at the loss of anything else.

Jawmuncher

I've gotten over Dark Pit and Doctor Mario (got over Lucina a while ago), but I'm still really bothered by the fact that Olimar went down by two colors and has to share the other four with Alph. Little Mac gets sixteen, and Pit essentially gets sixteen spread out amongst him and Dark Pit. Olimar should get eight skins, Alph should get eight skins. I wouldn't be nearly as bothered then.

I'd love it if Wario got some more colors too (like the ones he lost from Brawl), and the male/female variants of Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager did too.

Gameplay is important, but he could give WiiMote Safety Man the most unique playstyle to date and it wouldn't change the fact that he's not an important Nintendo character.

Yeah I can deal with it now but still.
Wiimote Safety man is the true character we deserve but won't get right now.

Neiteio

Okay.. but seriously.. in a world of Alts as an option, no one wants to see Dr. Mario or Dark Pit be separate characters.

The game is ripe with custom moves. They could outsource some character model skin design to some korean dudes and in a week they'd have a couple dozen amazing looking alt skins, then Sakurai just has to have his team associate the already in the game custom moves with the applicable alt skins.

Doctor Mario and Dark Pit should be Alts. Alts should be a thing from the beginning really. Each character could have 1 or 2 alts, and fitted with appropriate custom moves. You can't tell me they, 4 games in, didn't plan out, from the beginning, more than just 'each character gets 7 lazy recolors'
^^^

Everyone, look at this child.

It cannot be helped.

Cse

Banned
I'd agree with you, but recently Nintendo has done very well with their DLC. Both Mario Golf: World Tour and Mario Kart 8 have DLC that bring new characters to their franchises.

Both of those games were developed internally within Nintendo.

Smash Bros, however, is a different animal. Sakurai calls the shots - it's done either his way, or not at all. If Sakurai doesn't want to do DLC, then there won't be any DLC. Additionally, the bulk of the programming and associated work for the game is being done by Namco. Unless DLC was contractually agreed upon 12-18 months ago, most of these engineering teams likely already have other projects lined up for next year.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm honestly not sure if I understand the hangup over whether or not something shows on the character select screen, or why people would want characteristic differences removed and have them reduced to merely an alt. I can't say I know how much development time goes into fleshing out an alt into a clone, but Sakurai sees to indicate it's pretty trivial, so I'm inclined to believe it's not really at the loss of anything else.

For me, it's because of Ganondorf. Turning one of my favorite Nintendo characters into a clone has kinda soured my view on them.

For me, it's because of Ganondorf. Turning one of my favorite Nintendo characters into a clone has kinda soured my view on them.

That's fair, I understand that a character who deserves better being turned into a clone can be frustrating, I just don't think that's really the case with Lucina, Dr. Mario, or Dark Pit. I mean, I'd like if they perhaps had more changed properties than they currently do, but I don't feel like they would've ever made it into the game if they weren't as similar to their base as they were.

My issue is with Alph/Olimar. I don't think Alph should be a separate character, or even an alt. I like having characters keep their identities. Even if the announcer does change the name, it doesn't seem right that Olimar is now Olimar half the time.

It wouldn't be so much of an issue if he wasn't the only character where this alt costume thing occurs (save Bowser Jr. but that's kind of the character's gimmick), or if he even had twice as many colors to compensate. Olimar going from six colors to four just seems wrong.

The rationale that Doc fans would be disappointed that he played like Mario (read: Used Fludd) is a sound argument and was what everyone assumed anyway when they saw he was back.

jnWake

I think character design is important. Super Smash Bros. is a series about Nintendo history, so I think a really diverse set of characters is great.

I don't think this roster lacks diversity in any way and, in fact, it has many characters both from old and new franchises. Having 2 Pits doesn't mean that suddenly every other character is the same.

I don't think this roster lacks diversity in any way and, in fact, it has many characters both from old and new franchises. Having 2 Pits doesn't mean that suddenly every other character is the same.

Oh I never said it did. I think the roster is awesome, even with a few minor issues.

I just said that I think character diversity is (to me at least) a really important factor in creating the selection, and I would prefer characters that played similarly but looked different to their source characters than those who would look similar but play differently.

Of course he did. I think he reads Miiverse sometimes and he needs to believe they are children to not lose faith in humanity.
t2pweEI.png

No clue what you're talking about.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

No one? I guess you haven't seen my posts.

I actually want Dark Pit become playable character and Dr. Mario coming back.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
still would rather not have Dark Pit, Lucina or Dr. Mario in the game at all, even if no one replaced them.

I'm not sure if it's second or third time you have been saying that. I would respect people's opinions but when they are being echo chamber about it then I must bring the gif out of my pocket.

jXhgfd1.gif

The previous LTD sales of consoles must blow his mind.

Mariolee, you haven't answer our questions. What are you going to make crow eating thread based on what?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm not sure if it's second or third time you have been saying that. I would respect people's opinions but when they are being echo chamber about it then I must bring the gif out of my pocket.

jXhgfd1.gif

I said that once a while back when I was still salty over Ganondorf not being completely revamped. You might be confusing one of my posts with hers.

As long as a Wii U version still supports the original, superior control scheme. Fuck the haters, Kid Icarus: Uprising's controls are god tier.

I definitely don't agree with that... I do think Kid Icarus: Uprising's controls are the game's only real flaw, but it's all relative... a masterpiece with one minor flaw is still a masterpiece. That said, the controls are still perfectly serviceable and not the disaster a lot of people make them out to be. I think a twin-stick setup would be much better for the game, though.

Out of curiosity, does the issue of Kid Icarus: Uprising's quality ever get up between you and Andre? You two seem to have very different opinions on the game.

Sure, we've discussed it and rib each other about it every now and then. It's not a big deal. We're two smart, functioning adults who have different opinions on a game. We can agree to disagree and still respect one another's opinions.

Besides, it's not his fault he has terrible taste. ;)

Dark Pit is literally the worst addition to a Smash game. Ever. Period.

That's not how you spell Pichu or Dr. Mario.

My god. Every time I think Sakurai can't possibly do anything else to make me love him any more... this is incredible.

And he's also absolutely fucking right.

Veeboy

oh I see......

Toadette gets a game before Daisy does #staylosing

This was my first thought upon seeing that trailer. Nintendo will make sure Daisy stays locked in the storage shed right next to Waluigi until a new sports, kart, or party game is announced.

But then I realized "Oh, hey! Playable Toadette!" and I was too excited to be sad.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.
I can feel the chill from here. Sakurai is too truthful.

You want... less content? Why?
I would rather not have them in general.
This makes absolutely no sense.

Why?

Why is it so hard to comprehend the fact that I find these 3 additions to be the worst additions to any Smash game? Why doesn't it make sense for me not to want them in at all, even if it meant 3 other characters didn't replace them?

I think they are the biggest waste of space, and should have just stayed alts.

But you know what people don't seem to understand this shit, so fuck this.
I can't stand SmashGAF.
I'm done.

Neiteio

I definitely don't agree with that... I do think Kid Icarus: Uprising's controls are the game's only real flaw, but it's all relative... a masterpiece with one minor flaw is still a masterpiece. That said, the controls are still perfectly serviceable and not the disaster a lot of people make them out to be. I think a twin-stick setup would be much better for the game, though.
I'm not sure Uprising would work as a straight-up twin-stick shooter. I've beaten the first seven chapters on 9.0 difficulty, and it's hard to imagine anything but the near-instantaneous KBM-like stylus control getting it done.

MaverickHunterAsh said:
Sure, we've discussed it and rib each other about it every now and then. It's not a big deal. We're two smart, functioning adults who have different opinions on a game. We can agree to disagree and still respect one another's opinions.
I don't know if you saw the PM I shot you, but I laughed so hard when you teased Andre by telling him, "You gave 3/5 stars to a 6/5-star game." XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom