• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
UgPVCz8.png

Neifirst

Question for Smash veterans:

Would you recommend getting the Gamecube controller bundle for someone whose only experience with the series was back on the N64?

I'm not opposed to spending a bit more if it makes the game that more playable and enjoyable, but since I won't be bringing any Melee experience, I didn't know if it really makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Would you recommend getting the Gamecube controller bundle for someone whose only experience with the series was back on the N64?

I'm not opposed to spending a bit more if it makes the game that more playable and enjoyable, but since I won't be bringing any Melee experience, I didn't know if it really makes a difference.

The Gamecube controller is largely preferred by Smash players since Melee kind of revolutionised the series and the change from the clunkiness of the N64 was helped greatly by the change in controller design. I wouldn't say you have to opt for it nor will it hinder you at all by using a newer pad. I think for a lot of people it's just unwillingness to change or just because they've got so used to the established control scheme that it's difficult to learn a new one. Another draw of the GC pad is a c stick which I will say is mighty handy for quickly executing attacks but still perfectly fine doing the manual way on other pads.

I personally do have the bundle on preorder but have had no problems with the newer layouts on 3DS and other Wii pads so I'm really considering just cancelling it and using what I have but no it's not essential. If you missed that generation anyway I wouldn't invest extra in it.

Ugh I want more information on the level editor, it is both my most desired feature & the feature that could let me down most. (if it's like Brawl again)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You would probably be fine with another control scheme. For what it's worth my brother prefers using a CCPro instead of a GC controller in Project M. I personally can't use anything but a GC controller, otherwise I fumble around confusedly.

In general the benefits of the GC option is that it's wired (the only wired option) and familiarity, since it's been the standard for Smash for over a decade.

Neifirst

Thanks for the replies. I'll just go with the eshop version then and use my wii u pro controller. If GameCube virtual console was coming soon, it would be a no-brainer, but since it's only for Smash, I'll pass.

Village

Ugh I want more information on the level editor, it is both my most desired feature & the feature that could let me down most. (if it's like Brawl again)

If we could make actuall land, like have land tiles instead of stone and shit and whatever in the last game and trees and have backgrounds and stuff, so good

If we could make actuall land, like have land tiles instead of stone and shit and whatever in the last game and trees and have backgrounds and stuff, so good

I've got two positive solutions that I'd be okay with/love:

1. tilesets that'd allow us to make stages using retro styles .e.g. smash 64's mushroomy kingdom or 75M.

2. being able to build platforms/constructions onto all the FD stages we've been given.

Either of those would be awesome.

Considering how close we are to release, can we ignore any "leaks" that come out unless there are images or if there were things the poster got right after their original post?
Tower of Smash and Smash World were both unbelievable, and there's really no point in sharing them. I'll throw in the Agnes leak too, even if that was an image. The leaks are getting more and more desperate in what news they provide in order to get attention, and we shouldn't give it to them.

If you want to be boring.

Well I hope Stage Builder is vastly improved.

Or it'll just be exactly the same except they re-enabled the slope tiles that weren't available for some reason in Brawl.

EZEAyII.png

WHAAAT I want slope tiles!

Button Configuration. GCN Controller or bust.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You guys probably have already noticed, but there is a pattern for the unlockable characters.

Friday - Ness, Falco, Wario
Last Thursday - Dr. Mario & Dark Pit
This Wednesday - Ganondorf & ROB
Next Tuesday, and lastly the Monday after that.

I'm guessing that after all of the unlockable characters are revealed, then we will get to the big things.
Maybe some details on Smash World?

Someone should get heath to update the OP

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

1. tilesets that'd allow us to make stages using retro styles .e.g. smash 64's mushroomy kingdom or 75M.

2. being able to build platforms/constructions onto all the FD stages we've been given.

And being able to share stages and play them online with friends.

But this is Smash. So far we can't even share replays online, hoping to share stages, let alone actually use them online, is definitely hoping for too much.

And being able to share stages and play them online with friends.

But this is Smash. So far we can't even share replays online, hoping to share stages, let alone actually use them online, is definitely hoping for too much.

It'd be kinda ridiculous if you can't at least use custom stages with friends online..

Village

Yup!

Also for playing at home purposes.

Import music like tekken ( it will never happen )

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hey guys, did you ever figure out what the mode is Sakurai teased?

I saw the JP text is uncensored, but I can't read it, so..

All we know from Amazon Leak,

Whether you’re creating stages on the GamePad, competing in challenges crafted by Master Hand and Crazy Hand, or outwitting your opponents in a brand new board game mode,

I would guess that Special Order might be name of the mode that Sakurai teased. Also there are some people that speculating that it might be new form of Event Matches where Master/Crazy Hands would make up the events for you.

Dr. Buni

Never cared about stage builder myself, but the board game sounds hype.
You guys probably have already noticed, but there is a pattern for the unlockable characters.

Friday - Ness, Falco, Wario
Last Thursday - Dr. Mario & Dark Pit
This Wednesday - Ganondorf & ROB
Next Tuesday, and lastly the Monday after that.

I'm guessing that after all of the unlockable characters are revealed, then we will get to the big things.
Maybe some details on Smash World?
What are the next two characters in the unlock "order"? Hopefully Bowser Jr? Can't wait to see him in HD.

Honestly, I had way more fun with the Stage Builder when I could use a PC client to create stages without block limits and that allowed for overlap, so even just adding those things would make it all wayyyy better for me.

I don't have much confidence it'll be a whole lot better than Brawl's though. I really want it to be! More than 3 total tilesets and backgrounds would be a good start.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double post. I meant to edit but I didn't realize that I clicked new post out of habit.

Never cared about stage builder myself, but the board game sounds hype.

What are the next two characters in the unlock "order"? Hopefully Bowser Jr? Can't wait to see him in HD.

It's Mr. Game and Watch(90) and Bowser Jr. (100)

Then Duck Hunt (110) and Jigglypuff (120)

I hope the stage builder isn't as barebones as the one in Brawl.
10-15 backgrounds would be a nice start.

One for each stage would be better. Considering how a lot of stages have more interesting things going on in the background than in the foreground (Final Destination, Super Mario Galaxy stage), it would be nice to use those for our own stages.

Did they give a reason why?

Do they not want to tackle HD?
I think they were playing it safe, because Nintendo might get pissed if they tried to detract interest in the brand new Smash game.

Also, do you think we'll see Ridley in a PotD/direct before launch, or will Sakurai let us discover him ourselves? Maybe when boss battles mode is revealed?

If you want to be boring.

I agree with this. Speculating on leaks - even ridiculous ones - is part of the pre-Smash hype, and is something we won't get to do again for many years after this. Those who find leak speculation disagreeable are more than welcome to ignore it, but I don't think we should have to avoid it at all. It's harmless fun.

I think a lot of people who have that "speculation on dumb leaks is dumb" attitude are going to find that they miss all the discussions and theorizing about the games' characters, stages and features once both of them are actually out and the surprise is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom