• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Why can't he just be in Smash Tour? Tac, Souflee, Reaper, and Banzai Bill show up as well, but I doubt they'll be featured outside of the mode.

For the regular enemies, couldn't they show up within Master Fortress like the shadow Geemers?

Neiteio

Eh.. I don't mind.
That stage is so much fun with friends. You basically troll with those crabs and Koopas to win lol
It never bothered me. I'm in the minority that likes crazy stages. I was really pleased to see 75M come back, and I wouldn't mind Mario Bros. I like seeing those sprites live on in Smash.

RetroMG

We don't have any idea how big this will be digitally, do we? I'm a little worried that I'm going to have to delete a bunch of games to make this fit.

rekameohs

Banned
It never bothered me. I'm in the minority that likes crazy stages. I was really pleased to see 75M come back, and I wouldn't mind Mario Bros. I like seeing those sprites live on in Smash.
75M was a ton of fun to goof around in. I wasn't really a fan of Mario Bros. but both are loads better than stages where they don't let you do anything other than fight the stage, like Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls.

ec0ec0

Anyone else really excited about Norfair coming back?

I never understood why would someone go inside that little capsule to escape from the lava tsunami. The capsule was a lot more dangerous, when there was someone inside with you. Outside, you could just dodge the lava thanks to your intangibility.

Roo

We don't have any idea how big this will be digitally, do we? I'm a little worried that I'm going to have to delete a bunch of games to make this fit.

With all the HD videos, music, modes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc..
It'll be pretty masive. I'm guessing it'll be around 13-15GB

Neiteio

Call me crazy, but this level looks awesome. I dunno, I like the idea of constantly racing to the top and constantly doing things to fuck up the competition. Worth a try.
I think Wrecking Crew is one of the best-looking retro stages in a while. I like when they take a classic title and reimagine it in modern graphics.

If I understand it correctly, you collapse levels of it by detonating the bombs and destroying the supports, so you're always trying to get above your opponents and drop the floor on them, or drop the floor and make it out before they do. Should be a really unique-playing stage, where the layout changes as new floors drop into view.

Dr. Buni

Same. I don't want to buy an external HD yet. I hope it fits somehow in the system without the need to delete MK8 and MH3U.

I think Wrecking Crew is one of the best-looking retro stages in a while. I like when they take a classic title and reimagine it in modern graphics.

If I understand it correctly, you collapse levels of it by detonating the bombs and destroying the supports, so you're always trying to get above your opponents and drop the floor on them, or drop the floor and make it out before they do. Should be a really unique-playing stage, where the layout changes as new floors drop into view.

If you have to drop the floor on them, I would think each level may not be jumpthrough-able, which makes it a lot more interesting in my book.

RagnarokX

z9BpG0o.jpg

kyVAxo5.jpg

PCi0XJq.jpg

People were worried about Rayquaza disrupting the dragon room but it looks like the water room and fire room will have more disruptive hazards.

MBR

Banned
Just saw the 50-Extravaganza after being away in France for a few days, and even after 6 minutes I felt that "this might be the best game of all time". I already thought that SMB3DS was the best Smash yet, easily a 8.5/10, but the Wii U. ver. seems to Hit It Out Of The Park, several times over.

If not "the best game ever", it'll be "the best party game ever" easily. I mean GOD DAMN, why set up a fucking beer pong table if you could instead play 2/3-stock Smash with 8 people simultaneously and let like the top 4 drink? Even if you're not a drinker, I think Smash is a must have what with the Smash Tour mode. It just looked so fluid to get powerups & characters all at the same time and have multiple battles per Tour, with a finale settling who's the best smasher.

I'm already imagining myself screaming "FUCK YOU [Friend], I WANT JIGGLY, DON*T DARE PICKING THAT CHAR UP" on smash tour and then having a laugh about it.

EDIT: But really, just seeing the 50-direct made me think "This is the real deal". It's gonna be GOTY everywhere, not for the game itself, but for what it means for gaming as a whole. Never again will we see as good a game letting so many characters from different beloved franchises duke it out on equally as beloved battlefields under the great Sakurai, I am confident of that.

If Smash 64 would've been released as the alpha was, with only the "100 man melee" type wireframe characters, this series would've never made it this far.

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. will be the greatest game of all time, because Nintendo is the greatest gaming company of all time.

Neiteio

If you have to drop the floor on them, I would think each level may not be jumpthrough-able, which makes it a lot more interesting in my book.
Here are the new screens featuring Wrecking Crew that were released today:

ssb-wiiu-shot-wreckinr7i05.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wreckinzvfwt.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wreckin71cj0.jpg

Also, here's a batch of shots from Wuhu Island:

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislccfe4.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisluffkp.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislywcr8.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl4ucst.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislwrdt6.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl8sf1n.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislebdku.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislu7cu6.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl64ig7.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl9vf8f.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl00e5y.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislf8fy7.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislm6fbl.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislf4d8j.jpg

WonderzL

Banned
People were worried about Rayquaza disrupting the dragon room but it looks like the water room and fire room will have more disruptive hazards.

This is so good looking, seriously. The worst part of Rayquaza, to me, is that he looks like a plastic toy. Quite out of place. It ruins this beautiful stage.

Zubz

Banned
Flying Man -- I see two possibilities here: Magicant is in the WiiU version, or he's an Assist Trophy in the WiiU version.

I had a mini-shock when I saw Diddy's Dixie Kong colors in the top right; I honestly thought we somehow missed something as big as a stealth Dixie reveal for those 2 seconds I was thinking that.

wait

no

NO

I know the stage is terrible, but it feels so good! My friends love their awful Flying Man so much? I'm leaving Mario Bros. in my random select. ...Unfortunately, for the poor guy that hated Mario Bros. and hates Magicant. That guy... Magican't catch a break here!

Also, I'll probably leave 75m on (I don't know why I even like that stage; at least I know I liked the high knockback of the Mario Bros. mooks!), so unless they like Ridley just as much, I might be going too far. And if they do? It'll hurt; they didn't want Ridley at all, but it's looking likely that they'll like him in Smash 4 while I'll be the one with the salt each time Ridley shows up.

Probably very big; my Wii U can only hold some VC games, a few eShop games with only Giana Sisters and Duck Tales being notably massive, MK8, Rayman Legends, and Wind Waker HD on there. I feel like Smash'll be bigger than any of those. I'm just glad I got a 1 TB harddrive, but I need to get a two-pronged USB connector to give it enough power now. I just want to download Bayonetta!

Here are the new screens featuring Wrecking Crew that were released today:

ssb-wiiu-shot-wreckinr7i05.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wreckinzvfwt.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wreckin71cj0.jpg

Also, here's a batch of shots from Wuhu Island:

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislccfe4.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisluffkp.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislywcr8.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl4ucst.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislwrdt6.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl8sf1n.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislebdku.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislu7cu6.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl64ig7.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl9vf8f.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuisl00e5y.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislf8fy7.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislm6fbl.jpg

ssb-wiiu-shot-wuhuislf4d8j.jpg

Wowee. Those look fun!

The Wrecking Crew platforms seem awful thick to be jumpthrough-able.

Wuhu Island looks great!. I hope they leave you to fight in each area for a bit without feeling too rushed.

edit: About Wuhu. Any of those areas looks like they'd be a great stage in their own right. Like I said, just hope they don't rush you through it.

RagnarokX

Why couldn't the Pokémon be part of the background instead of hazards? Geez.

Well, the only pokemon being a hazard is Rayquaza. The other hazards are a water slide in the water chamber and fire pillars in the fire chamber. The pokemon seem to just be part of the background. The steel chamber has a couple of swords that fall down and act as platforms. No telling if they act as hazards or not.

I think Wuhu Island is my favorite stage so far.

Lunar15

I think Pyrosphere might be one of the worst levels I've ever seen. It's a near perfect confluence of being generic, being from a game that I hate, and having having tons of weird gimmicks.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Do you guys think Mario Bros., if back, might adopt Balloon Fight's gimmick of a wrap-around screen?

That'd make the stage a lot more fun for me.

Neiteio

z9BpG0o.jpg

kyVAxo5.jpg

PCi0XJq.jpg

Wow, I love all of this. The pinball effect in that fire room is going to be insane!

Rayquaza looks gorgeous. If I could show this to my child self, it'd blow her mind. It's like the cover art of Pokémon Stadium 1 (the N64 game) come to life!

Polioliolio said:
Wowee. Those look fun!

The Wrecking Crew platforms seem awful thick to be jumpthrough-able.

Wuhu Island looks great!. I hope they leave you to fight in each area for a bit without feeling too rushed.
Yeah, Wrecking Crew looks great. And that's not even all of the stops on Wuhu Island. I recall seeing other shots that showed fights taking place at the castle on the lake on Maka Wuhu, for example. Seems they're going to thoroughly cover the entire island!

Dr. Buni

Well, the only pokemon being a hazard is Rayquaza. The other hazards are a water slide in the water chamber and fire pillars in the fire chamber. The pokemon seem to just be part of the background. The steel chamber has a couple of swords that fall down and act as platforms. No telling if they act as hazards or not.

I figured the Water-type Pokémon were responsible for the water slide. I guess not then.

I think the Pokémon in the background would be more than the enough to make the stage interesting...

Neiteio

I like the atmosphere in the Wrecking Crew stage. Has that same sort of mysterious vibe that SNES Sim City and other early titles had.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
And yes, the fire room in Kalos Pokemon League looks way worse than Rayquaza.

Yeah, Kalo League apparently have a lot of hazards that I didn't realized. I'm pretty sure that two swords are hazards. At least, I know now that it's not just Rayquaza so I'm going to enjoy the stages as it is. Wuhu Island look fantastic, and I really love what they have done with stages so far.

Neiteio

Yeah, Kalo League apparently have a lot of hazards that I didn't realized. I'm pretty sure that two swords are hazards. At least, I know now that it's not just Rayquaza so I'm going to enjoy the stages as it is. Wuhu Island look fantastic, and I really love what they have done with stages so far.
Kalos Pokémon League looks amazing. Something interesting to note -- we saw in a previous PotD that the dragon room has Pokémon who appear in the background, as well, like Garchomp, etc. Yet they're not present in the Rayquaza shot. Could this suggest that Pokémon show up in hazards in the other rooms, as well? Maybe, maybe not...

RagnarokX

Wait, Rayquaza is a stage boss/hazard!?

FUCK.

Ghost phase?

The Kalos Pokemon Leauge is Steel, Fire, Water, and Dragon.

I like these sections from Mario Kart 8 Mario Circuit:

CzUkVL1.jpg

Fighting on a pillar on a part of the track that is sideways. The track acts as a wall on the right side.

fwWmAeB.jpg

Fighting on the underside of a sign arching over an upsidedown section of track.

Zubz

Banned
z9BpG0o.jpg

kyVAxo5.jpg

PCi0XJq.jpg

You gotta be kidding me; I thought this stage was going to be Vanilla! This is Wily Castle/Magicant all over again, with the stage looking like a unique, balanced new level the first few times it's shown, but then it turns into an distracting, nigh-unplayable mess (Remember: some thought Yellow Devil was part of a Boss Battle mode, and we first saw Magicant during a Ness Unlock fight on-stream; Flying Men don't spawn during the unlock fight, and none of the other temporary-platforms spawned during the very first recorded fight, either.)

Boss/Hazard Toggle. DLC. ASAP. Please. Thank you. I don't want to be that guy, but I will bring that up in every Club Nintendo survey for Smash. Maybe other games, too; I only fill those surveys to let Nintendo know what they're doing that I like/dislike like the increase in female protagonists or the nearly-dead Virtual Console, anyway, since there isn't really anything those coins are good for. Mario Kart 8 got bad features like the cursor being set to "View Replay" rather than "Continue" patched out, even if it took a few months. Maybe get something set up before EVO so this game can be... well, maybe not mainstage, but somewhere? I mean, Melee's still there, and if Smash U is really going to be called Smash 5, then it looks bad on the series if the 13-year old game 3 iterations back is the one getting major publicity unless they're planning on releasing Melee HD on the eShop, too...

....Which I would buy Day 1. Because I'm a Consumer Whore for series that I love.

georly

That we know of! What if wailord pulls a snorlax!?

no way will smash be 20 gigs, that's crazy talk

Nintendo are disk space wizards, but with all the music (roughly 3 times the 3DS + HQ audio), all the newcomer videos in 1080p, all the trophies (more than 3DSes ~700), and all the HD textures, it'll be amazing if they pull that off.

Brawl was a dual-layered DVD because of SSE's cutscenes, and those were 480P. So that was what, ~12 gigs for brawl? Brawl 12 roughly ~8 gigs. And this game has way more than that? No way it'll be 20 gigs I'll be impressed if they pull off 20 gigs with brawl being 8. Nintendo are wizards, but there's not much you can do about videos, music, and HD textures.

Neiteio

My OCD-like need to have favorites is making this a frustrating game, because I like so much of what I'm seeing and can't decide what I like most. I'm excited about so many of these stages: Great Cave Offensive, Jungle Hijinx, Kalos Pokémon League, Wrecking Crew, Wuhu Island, etc. I didn't care for Pyrosphere until they added all of the Metroid characters to it, I.E. Ridley, the aliens, the robots, etc. Gives it a lot more personality now. I'm stoked about Norfair coming back, and Delfino Plaza. Metal Face looks amazing in HD, and the way he reshapes Gaur Plain by destroying portions of it brings a whole new dynamic to that stage. Plus, his English accent!

GAH, TOO MUCH GOOD STUFF!

It is a game for a system that has a 32GB hard drive, not a 500GB one.

I don't think we were on the same page. I wasn't implying 20GB wouldn't be huge for a Nintendo game. But I was implying that Wii U games are very small compared to the current generation of software.

20GB = Massive Wii U game
20GB = Small size in the context of modern games in general

It's all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom