• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahnez

I'm expecting the game to be at least 10 GB..

It has too many models, textures and music

Also, we dont know how big the DLC files will be :p

Neiteio

The completionist in me is relieved that all four members of the Kalos Elite Four have rooms representing them.

I wonder if they'll throw in the champion's chambers as a bonus.

Golnei

I like these sections from Mario Kart 8 Mario Circuit:

Fighting on a pillar on a part of the track that is sideways. The track acts as a wall on the right side.

Fighting on the underside of a sign arching over an upsidedown section of track.

Even though the actual choice of track could have been better, the implementation looks great. It would have been so easy to use it as a glorified background, but it's nice to see them incorporating the skewed dimensions well.

Neiteio

So when the Kalos Pokémon League transitions from one scene to the next, do you think the pillar will rise and lower to different floors like an elevator, or do you think they'll just have a white screen transition like Castle Siege/Reset Bomb Forest?

Dr. Buni

I don't think we were on the same page. I wasn't implying 20GB wouldn't be huge for a Nintendo game. But I was implying that Wii U games are very small compared to the current generation of software.

20GB = Massive Wii U game
20GB = Small size in the context of modern games in general

It's all relative.
I get what you are saying. I still hope the game isn't that huge. I hope it is 15GB at most.

RomanceDawn

All these Roidley screens. I can't.

Sakurai and the team made him look pretty decent here.

If there is no Ridley playable at all ever for this game then I think it's now fair game for interviewers and such to ask what Sakurai's opinion is on a playable Ridley. In more detail than what we heard way back in 08. I think I would be content with his response as long as there are no more double meanings to it like in 08.

RagnarokX

I think Pyrosphere might be one of the worst levels I've ever seen. It's a near perfect confluence of being generic, being from a game that I hate, and having having tons of weird gimmicks.

Pyrosphere looks great. Usually metroid stages are pretty lazy where you have a pretty bland set of platforms floating in front of a metroid background, but Pyrosphere is the first Metroid stage to actually look like it's taking place in the environment it's taking place in. You're actually fighting on the platform where the Ridley boss fight took place. The only problem is that Ridley might be too obtrusive.

I'd say the most disappointing Metroid stage was Frigate Orpheon. Metroid Prime has so many great stage posibilities and they choose the fight with the parasite queen, which wouldn't be anyone's choice but would be fine if they hadn't done such a poor job theming the stage. Such wasted potential.

Gleethor

oE2DPq2.jpg

So after studying the Octopus picture for a bit, I do think that it's the Pirate Ship stage, but you can see some sort of tower-looking object in the upper right hand coner veeeeery faintly. Can anyone identify what this is? Tower of the gods?

Roo

Even though the actual choice of track could have been better, the implementation looks great. It would have been so easy to use it as a glorified background, but it's nice to see them incorporating the skewed dimensions well.

I don't think any other track is better than Mario Circuit to represent Mario Kart 8 in Smash.

Man, another stage ruined by a pointless gimmick. Just because someone doesn't wants hazards doesn't also mean they want just an entirely flat stage. What the hell is wrong with them? :/

You gotta be kidding me; I thought this stage was going to be Vanilla! This is Wily Castle/Magicant all over again, with the stage looking like a unique, balanced new level the first few times it's shown, but then it turns into an distracting, nigh-unplayable mess (Remember: some thought Yellow Devil was part of a Boss Battle mode, and we first saw Magicant during a Ness Unlock fight on-stream; Flying Men don't spawn during the unlock fight, and none of the other temporary-platforms spawned during the very first recorded fight, either.)

Boss/Hazard Toggle. DLC. ASAP. Please. Thank you. I don't want to be that guy, but I will bring that up in every Club Nintendo survey for Smash. Maybe other games, too; I only fill those surveys to let Nintendo know what they're doing that I like/dislike like the increase in female protagonists or the nearly-dead Virtual Console, anyway, since there isn't really anything those coins are good for. Mario Kart 8 got bad features like the cursor being set to "View Replay" rather than "Continue" patched out, even if it took a few months. Maybe get something set up before EVO so this game can be... well, maybe not mainstage, but somewhere? I mean, Melee's still there, and if Smash U is really going to be called Smash 5, then it looks bad on the series if the 13-year old game 3 iterations back is the one getting major publicity unless they're planning on releasing Melee HD on the eShop, too...

A MILLION TIMES THIS.

Exotoro

oE2DPq2.jpg

So after studying the Octopus picture for a bit, I do think that it's the Pirate Ship stage, but you can see some sort of tower-looking object in the upper right hand coner veeeeery faintly. Can anyone identify what this is? Tower of the gods?
Tower of smash

georly

oE2DPq2.jpg

Unless they redesigned the water in that stage to no longer look like wind waker, I doubt it.

Too transparent.

oE2DPq2.jpg

The water isn't see through in Pirate Ship, so it's not that.

But I can't tell what stage it is. That's not what the water looks like on Wuhu Island either. Maybe Delfino Plaza? But the water's not blue enough here. I really don't know.

RagnarokX

oE2DPq2.jpg

But it can't be Wind Waker because the water has transparency.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
oE2DPq2.jpg

I can't really see it as Pirate Ship stage because the colors are so different. I think it's Wuhu's beach.

NN6NZBW.jpg

Neiteio

Man, another stage ruined by a pointless gimmick. Just because someone doesn't wants hazards doesn't also mean they want just an entirely flat stage. What the hell is wrong with them? :/

A MILLION TIMES THIS.
Gonzo, I always picture the actual Gonzo from the Muppets talking when I read your posts, it's quite amusing! :-D

Zubz

Banned
The completionist in me is relieved that all four members of the Kalos Elite Four have rooms representing them.

I wonder if they'll throw in the champion's chambers as a bonus.

Maybe. I guess if we're playing the Legendary Card with Rayquaza showing up, maybe the "Boss" can be Diancie? Wigglytuff might be a cool addition, though...

Definitely. On the one hand, I have no idea why we don't have a Bowser's Castle stage yet, but on the other, that usage of the anti-grav looks extraordinary.

So when the Kalos Pokémon League transitions from one scene to the next, do you think the pillar will rise and lower to different floors like an elevator, or do you think they'll just have a white screen transition like Castle Siege/Reset Bomb Forest?

In the games it used a multi-directional elevator, whereas the white explosion is in line with how the Reset Bomb Forest worked in Uprising, so hopefully, it's the elevator here.

Sakurai and the team made him look pretty decent here.

If there is no Ridley playable at all ever for this game then I think it's now fair game for interviewers and such to ask what Sakurai's opinion is on a playable Ridley. In more detail than what we heard way back in 08. I think I would be content with his response as long as there are no more double meanings to it like in 08.

Definitely. If there really was a post-Direct press event, I really hope someone had the guts to ask why Ridley's been in every game but the 3DS one, yet each time he gets the shaft in terms of playability. It's just too weird, especially because he's been highly requested since Melee, even! After the Mega Man reveal, wasn't he the most-wanted character worldwide, too?

emb

oE2DPq2.jpg

At this point I feel like I should also quote this and point out that the water is different. I want people to think I fit in.

Neiteio

Pyrosphere looks great. Usually metroid stages are pretty lazy where you have a pretty bland set of platforms floating in front of a metroid background, but Pyrosphere is the first Metroid stage to actually look like it's taking place in the environment it's taking place in. You're actually fighting on the platform where the Ridley boss fight took place. The only problem is that Ridley might be too obtrusive.

I'd say the most disappointing Metroid stage was Frigate Orpheon. Metroid Prime has so many great stage posibilities and they choose the fight with the parasite queen, which wouldn't be anyone's choice but would be fine if they hadn't done such a poor job theming the stage. Such wasted potential.
Agreed. I thought Frigate Orpheon looked cool at times, though, like when the lights dimmed and the warning lights started flashing.

RE: Pyrosphere: I wonder how the alien creatures will be used. The rotund black fellows and the heavy red pillbugs you can carry around. We saw how the robots work -- you hit them to make them fire a laser. But I wonder how the alien creatures function.

Golnei

I don't think any other track is better than Mario Circuit to represent Mario Kart 8 in Smash.

There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but Cloudtop Cruise or Mount Wario would have been much more distinctive and still representative of the aesthetic of the Mario Kart series as a whole, especially with Brawl Mario Circuit showing up as a past stage.

Unless they redesigned the water in that stage to no longer look like wind waker, I doubt it.

Too transparent.

The water isn't see through in Pirate Ship, so it's not that.

But I can't tell what stage it is. That's not what the water looks like on Wuhu Island either. Maybe Delfino Plaza? But the water's not blue enough here. I really don't know.

But it can't be Wind Waker because the water has transparency.

I can't really see it as Pirate Ship stage because the colors are so different. I think it's Wuhu's beach.

NN6NZBW.jpg

At this point I feel like I should also quote this and point out that the water is different. I want people to think I fit in.

Yo, but check this: did anyone notice the water is different?

Zubz

Banned

I agree; this stage doesn't look like Wind Waker at all, not even if they brought the stage back as Pirate Ship HD. I don't know what it could be, and Pirate Ship's my most wanted classic stage from Brawl, including what we've already seen, but it looks like it's not getting in this time around... Unless the DLC gods smile upon us.

All the bonus of Pyrosphere taking place on an actual Metroid location is negated by it having a shit ton of annoying hazards (Ridley is like Flying Man but the size of the Yellow Devil?!) and is based on a game that has the most generic and bland art style ever. It's absolutely held back by Other M's sorry excuse for original art direction.

And Ridley being roided out duck Ridley doesn't help matters at all.

georly

There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but Cloudtop Cruise or Mount Wario would have been much more distinctive and still representative of the aesthetic of the Mario Kart series as a whole, especially with Brawl Mario Circuit showing up as a past stage.

Mario circuit is also a really compressed stage. It's not wide/sprawling, so it's probably easier to make a stage out of it. Also, the track is a figure 8, like mario kart 8.

Variety would be nicer than having 2 'mario circuit's

I agree; this stage doesn't look like Wind Waker at all, not even if they brought the stage back as Pirate Ship HD. I don't know what it could be, and Pirate Ship's my most wanted classic stage from Brawl, including what we've already seen, but it looks like it's not getting in this time around.

There's no real reason to think this. We know Pokémon Stadium 2 is an unlockable. It also seems ridiculous they would take the time to only recreate ONE N64 stage, which we also know is unlockable. Classic stages being unlockable sounds pretty typical.

Neiteio

I don't think Ridley is nearly as annoying as the Flying Man. For starters, you have to deal a certain amount of damage to him in order for him to join your team, so it's not like Flying Man where he always appears in the same spot every time and all you have to do is touch him, forcing everyone to guard the upper-right platform. Also, he's a huge target that's easy to hit, he appears to have phases between attacks where he just flies around, and defeating him counts as a KO.

I don't know. He might be fun!

Dr. Buni

All the bonus of Pyrosphere taking place on an actual Metroid location is negated by it having a shit ton of annoying hazards (Ridley is like Flying Man but the size of the Yellow Devil?!) and is based on a game that has the most generic and bland art style ever. It's absolutely held back by Other M's sorry excuse for original art direction.

And Ridley being roided out duck Ridley doesn't help matters at all.
But the stage isn't based on a non-Awakening Fire Emblem.

Zubz

Banned
Yep, and the bird is a recurring Warioware character called Pyoro. Even has his own game on the DSiWare.

Is it really "his own," though? I mean, I spent some of that free $20 they gave early DSi adopters on Bird & Beans, but it's just the 2 Pyoro games from the first WarioWare. Either way, he's a major character to the series, so I'm elated to see he got in!

There's no real reason to think this. We know Pokémon Stadium 2 is an unlockable. It also seems ridiculous they would take the time to only recreate ONE N64 stage, which we also know is unlockable. Classic stages being unlockable sounds pretty typical.

I know that about unlockable classic stages. However, at this point, Zelda already has 2 classic stages. I know Mario has 3, but it also has, like, 7 stages overall, whereas I doubt Zelda's getting that many (I mean, just look at the 3DS version!). I can see them adding a 4th Zelda stage, but I doubt it's going to be the Pirate Ship unless, again, they do a Classic Stage DLC Pack. If any more Zelda stages get in, they're probably going to be new, or Hyrule Castle 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom