• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

eHWnCkS.png

I posted this before. Blue = new and red = retro.

I'm pretty sure each series (save maybe Mother and F-Zero) in the Wii U version will either match or have more new stages than the 3DS version.
Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest series. Now way it's only getting one new stage.

It's possible sakurai looks at it as both put together, in which case, zelda got 3 new stages for smash 4 (3DS + Wii U).

While I agree that it makes sense for zelda to get at least 1 more stage (either new or returning [hyrule castle plz]), i'm not getting my hopes up just so i'm not disappointed/let down.

That said, if we DO get a new zelda stage, it SHOULD be wind waker, simply because of Wind Waker HD.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I have a little rant coming up, but before I get into that, I have a quick question.

The recycled stages from Brawl and Melee, do they have graphical upgrades, or are they direct rips?

After some (probably quite faulty) analysis, I think what we're missing only 3 stages to be unveiled or found. Take the My Music screen

cOqe2xW.jpg

Now, drop the Menu from the bottom row, and we have:
1 row of 3
1 row of 4
1 row of 5
and 5 rows of 6 stages

If the images of the stages don't resize (unlikely given how many are already there), there are likely no more than 48 stages (8 rows of 6) here. Also, this is assuming that Sakurai prefers that each franchise not be split apart between rows. Only Mario was split in Brawl, and that was at Mario Kart.

Now we seem to know that Pokemon Stadium 2, Miiverse, and Pac-Land are missing here, so add those back in. Pokemon Stadium 2 pushes Palutena's Temple down a row, and Wii Fit gets pushed down as well. Add in Pac-Land and Miiverse to the bottom row.

So then we have
1 row of 4
1 row of 5
and 6 rows of six. 3 Stages left.

Time for speculation. Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, or Duck Hunt Dog could have an assigned stage to them, kept hidden until they are unlocked. Adding in a stage the second-to-last row would push Pilotwings to the bottom row.

We would still have Mario, DK, and Star Fox stages split between multiple rows, so to fix most of that, I suspect that another Earthbound/Mother or Pokemon stage is coming, as that would cause Lylat Cruise to be pushed up, Port Town to be pushed up, Jungle Japes N64 to be pushed up, and Super Mario Galaxy to be pushed up. The question is, what stage? While I would love to assume Magicant appearing, I have a feeling it will be New Pork City, primarily due to its size.

That makes
1 row of 5
and 7 rows of 6

The last stage would have to be either the top row or the second row, pushing Delfino Plaza up (and split Mario at Mario Kart stages once again). That makes either a Smash Bros. Original, Mario, or Donkey Kong stage. The end result is 8 rows of 6.

So, in short, outside of Pokemon Stadium 2 / Pac-Land / Miiverse, I think we are missing:
1. Game and Watch / R.O.B. / Duck Hunt Dog stage
2. Mother / Pokemon stage
3. Smash Original / Mario / Donkey Kong stage

not counting DLC stages of course, which would likely have their own subsection.

I have a little rant coming up, but before I get into that, I have a quick question.

The recycled stages from Brawl and Melee, do they have graphical upgrades, or are they direct rips?

A lot of them have newer, better textures (Castle Siege, Onett), but Temple is by far the best looking returning stage. Most likely due to it being one of the most iconic stages.

SSB4UTemple.png

Ganondorf is a clone of an F-Zero character, your argument is invalid!
I don't really see how this applies.
Stage representation ≠ character representation.

These are my predictions for new stages.
qT10hAf.jpg

Bowser's Castle
Bowser's Castle, with retro aesthetic. Fills in for the mandatory stage based on Super Mario Bros.
hHPiuRl.jpg

Forsaken Fortress
I'm not sure what else to do for Wind Waker HD, but I think this would showcase the updated visuals best.
8jIJe8A.jpg

Nintendo Land
The remix gives me hope that this will be in, and it would be cool to see one of the other Nintendo games that ties the series together.
Transforming stage?

I don't play Pokemon, but I think there will be a second new Pokemon stage in.

It shows that LoZ doesn't get as much respect as some other big series like Mario or Pokemon.

No it doesn't.
Zelda still gets five characters - as much as Pokemon (minus Mewtwo) and more than every other series.
Ganondorf is a clone mostly because of tradition.

Consider that the very first trailer for the new games showed off three different Zelda stages. We didn't even see any Mario stages until later.

Zelda is #3 on the list of biggest Nintendo series. Ganondorf doesn't change anything about that.

Golnei

I'll even take Jack Levin over him.

I don't like Black Shadow that much either, but that's going a little too far...

tbh i was kinda hoping for a different kid icarus uprising track beginning with "lightning"

Haven't we already heard the flight version of Lightning Battle in an earlier Direct?

In ProJared's Smash Tour preview video, I saw a trophy of (MAJOR Xenoblade spoiler)
Mecha Fiora
. Sakurai just does not care about spoiling people, haha.

It's been that way for a while, if all the MOTHER 3 representation in Brawl and Sheik are any indication. Though I hope he goes a little further and has trophies of
Klaus and Meyneth
from the ending sequence.

Didn't Ganondorf kill a Sage by punching him in the face? (Twilight Princess)

tumblr_lqk8b7HzTK1qb8g3po1_500.gif

That was the basis of Flame Choke, and pretty much the only move he has from any of his appearances in a Zelda game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's up with the Ganon's hand/Sage head animation there? lol
Ganondorf getting the Triforce of Power literally blew that guys mind (and the rest of his head with it)

But seriously, Ganondorf basically destroyed that Sage. That dust you see is the Sage's head disintegrating.

Ganondorf getting the Triforce of Power literally blew that guys mind (and the rest of his head with it)

But seriously, Ganondorf basically destroyed that Sage. That dust you see is the Sage's head disintegrating.

I know the context, but you can see the halos falling/clipping through his arm lmao

No it doesn't.
Zelda still gets five characters - as much as Pokemon (minus Mewtwo) and more than every other series.
Ganondorf is a clone mostly because of tradition.

Consider that the very first trailer for the new games showed off three different Zelda stages. We didn't even see any Mario stages until later.

Zelda is #3 on the list of biggest Nintendo series. Ganondorf doesn't change anything about that.

2 of those characters are semi-clones (Toon Link & Ganondorf).
2 of those characters are the same person (Sheik & Zelda)

I understand that LoZ is Nintendo's 3rd biggest franchise, but the fact that it's biggest villain, and Nintendo's 2nd biggest villain, Ganondorf, is a clone who barely stays true to who he is, along with the apparent lack of new stages, shows that Smash can still treat it better.

I do have faith in a new LoZ stage though, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't.

Greenzxy

Yo man, weren't the sages suppose to be Sarah, Darunia, Rauru, and all those others from OOT. What are these white impostors.

RomanceDawn

So I just saw the Smash Bros opening on IGN. Look pretty good! I just wish wish wish the announcer said "SUPER SMASH BROS!!!!" at the end.

Golnei

So I just saw the Smash Bros opening on IGN. Look pretty good! I just wish wish wish the announcer said "SUPER SMASH BROS!!!!" at the end.

Seeing as they had the announcer record a clip for that, I really hope it makes it in somewhere. I can tolerate an intro made of reused trailers, but no title call is unacceptable.

2 of those characters are semi-clones (Toon Link & Ganondorf).
2 of those characters are the same person (Sheik & Zelda)

I understand that LoZ is Nintendo's 3rd biggest franchise, but the fact that it's biggest villain, and Nintendo's 2nd biggest villain, Ganondorf, is a clone who barely stays true to who he is, along with the apparent lack of new stages, shows that Smash can still treat it better.

I do have faith in a new LoZ stage though, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't.
Ah yes, the second biggest villain in Nintendo history.
That explains why he's been in three core Zelda games.
To be perfectly honest, there isn't that much to base him on. While I'd like him to change, it isn't awful.

Between the two versions, the series has three stages - that matches the stage count of Pokemon. It also got five new items and three new Assist trophies. Smash is treating Zelda well.
We've gotten two new Zelda stages in Melee, Brawl, and the 3DS version. Wii U is going to have a second stage for Zelda.

I'm pretty certain the redone Temple "counts" as a new stage to Sakurai.
I doubt it. It's the exact same stage with better textures.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yo man, weren't the sages suppose to be Sarah, Darunia, Rauru, and all those others from OOT. What are these white impostors.

Wrong timeline. Saria and co are awakened in the adult timeline. TP takes place in the child timeline when Link warned the king of Ganondorf's intentions before he had a chance to do anything. Some believe that Ganondorf getting the Triforce of Power at that moment occurs parallel when he gets in the adult timeline, so he was always destined to get it no matter what.

Ganondorf is Ganon you know. You can't not count those appearances.

Golnei

I'm pretty certain the redone Temple "counts" as a new stage to Sakurai.

It's had a lot of work done on it, but I still think Kongo Jungle would have been closer to a new stage. Unlike Temple, it didn't exist at all in Brawl and therefore had to be ported from scratch.

Greenzxy

Wrong timeline. Saria and co are awakened in the adult timeline. TP takes place in the child timeline when Link warned the king of Ganondorf's intentions before he had a chance to do anything. Some believe that Ganondorf getting the Triforce of Power at that moment occurs parallel when he gets in the adult timeline, so he was always destined to get it no matter what.

Oh man, you're right. I'm not sure why that slipped my mind.

To be perfectly honest, there isn't that much to base him on. While I'd like him to change, it isn't awful.

Would you like me to call "Ganon", my good sir?

Not to mention, 1 of those core Zelda games being regarded as one of the best games of all time.
And the other 2 being amazing games in their own right.

Ganondorf is Ganon you know. You can't not count those appearances.

Sheik is Zelda you know. But you're not going to say that Sheik is in almost every Zelda game, right?
Ganondorf is Ganon's human form, and that human form has appeared only three times in the main series.

In Smash Bros., Ganondorf's first appearance is listed as 1998, not 1986.

Would you like me to call "Ganon", my good sir?
Ganon is the more important villain, even if Ganondorf transforms into Ganon.

Ganondorf as himself doesn't have too much to be based off of.
Not to mention, 1 of those core Zelda games being regarded as one of the best games of all time.
And the other 2 being amazing games in their own right.
No offense, but I once again have to question the relevancy of this. It doesn't change the fact that Ganondorf doesn't really have a consistent style.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No offense, but I once again have to question the relevancy of this.

More fame = More recognition.

Just like King K. Rool w/ the Donkey Kong Country series, or the 8 robot masters w/ Mega Man 2.

These games are nostalgic, and regarded as the best, and most memorable in their respective franchise.

Also, the final Ganon battle in Ocarina of Time, and Ganondorf battles in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are just freaking memorable as hell.

And yet he is mentioned in a Link to the Past which came out in 1991 so that's not exactly a good argument.

Dr Mario is Mario and yet their first appearances in Smash Bros are marked as different years. The Dr Mario games are still considered Mario games.

To see Ganon and Ganondorf as separate entities in terms of the character's importance to the series history is beyond daft.

I think it's okay to regard them as separate characters when talking about Smash Bros.

Had he made that same statement in a different context, it would've been okay. But in Smash, Sheik/Zelda, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Mario/Dr. Mario are all separate playable characters, even if they are the same people.
Ganondorf is based on Ganondorf. As Ganondorf, what could the Smash Bros. character really incorporate?

More fame = More recognition.

Just like King K. Rool w/ the Donkey Kong Country series, or the 8 robot masters w/ Mega Man 2.

Why did you bring up King K. Rool? He's nothing more than a trophy in Smash!

Basing Mega Man primarily off of the most popular Mega Man game is a good point though.
Yes, making him an F-Zero racer is dumb. But it's not awful.

Ryce

Sheik is Zelda you know. But you're not going to say that Sheik is in almost every Zelda game, right?
Ganondorf is Ganon's human form, and that human form has appeared only three times in the main series.

In Smash Bros., Ganondorf's first appearance is listed as 1998, not 1986.

Ganon is the more important villain, even if Ganondorf transforms into Ganon.

Ganondorf as himself doesn't have too much to be based off of.

No offense, but I once again have to question the relevancy of this. It doesn't change the fact that Ganondorf doesn't really have a consistent style.
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I agree with all of this.

Ganondorf is a lightning mage in OOT, a dual-wielding samurai in Wind Waker, and a fencer in Twilight Princess. He has no consistent characterization. If Ganondorf appears in the next Zelda game then he’ll probably have yet another completely new fighting style.

I’m a huge Zelda series fan, and Ganondorf’s Smash Bros. depiction isn’t entirely offensive to me. His taunts, idle animations, and celebrations fit him, and so does the majority of his moveset. I probably sound like a broken record, but all he really needs is a few more unique attacks.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I agree with all of this.

Ganondorf is a lightning mage in OOT, a dual-wielding samurai in Wind Waker, and a fencer in Twilight Princess. He has no consistent characterization. If Ganondorf appears in the next Zelda game then he’ll probably have yet another completely new fighting style.

I’m a huge Zelda series fan, and Ganondorf’s Smash Bros. depiction isn’t entirely offensive to me. His taunts, idle animations, and celebrations fit him, and so does the majority of his moveset. I probably sound like a broken record, but all he really needs is a few more unique attacks.
Someone gets what I'm trying to say!

Other than a Dead Man's Volley attack and maybe a sword move or two, I can't think of a great way to change his Smash appearance.

Zelda is my second favorite Nintendo series, but I really don't have a problem with the way it's being represented. I think the characters that are in represent the most important characters in the series, and other than Tingle, I can't think of a Zelda character that is "needed."

Other than a Dead Man's Volley attack and maybe a sword move or two, I can't think of a great way to change his Smash appearance.

Zelda is my second favorite Nintendo series, but I really don't have a problem with the way it's being represented. I think the characters that are in represent the most important characters in the series, and other than Tingle, I can't think of a Zelda character that is "needed."

I will agree with this, the ones who each share a piece of the triforce, makes the perfect trio.

My guesses for Ganondorf would be:

- Flying (hovering like Peach)
- Dead Man's Volley
- Some sword attacks to increase his range
- Teleporting (Dodge Animations)
- Maybe use his dark magic in different ways (punching the ground, a wide-ranged blast of energy, etc.)

Hmm, this would probably make him overpowered though...

I always thought Classic Ganon should get in as a newcomer (hey, there's two links and two zeldas, it's only fair :lol) while Dorf stays the same.

Plus, 2D representation!

Moonlight

Banned

...Tingle over Impa? Really?

jnWake

I don't really see how this applies.
Stage representation ≠ character representation.

These are my predictions for new stages.

Bowser's Castle, with retro aesthetic. Fills in for the mandatory stage based on Super Mario Bros.

I'm not sure what else to do for Wind Waker HD, but I think this would showcase the updated visuals best.

The remix gives me hope that this will be in, and it would be cool to see one of the other Nintendo games that ties the series together.
Transforming stage?

I don't play Pokemon, but I think there will be a second new Pokemon stage in.

Nintendo Land makes a lot of sense. Besides, almost every major Wii U game has a stage already (NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's Wooly World, Sonic Lost World) so having a Nintendo Land one would make sense. Same applies for 3D World and Tropical Freeze stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom