• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veeboy

...Tingle over Impa? Really?

The only reasons I could see why Tingle would get in over Impa is due to the fact that Tingle has his own games (guy is surprisingly popular in Japan), and a more consistent characterization than Impa.

Impa has had tons of different iterations which vary from old lady Impa to "big is beautiful" Impa to cool ninja lady Impa. Of the regularly reappearing Zelda characters Impa has the most variation and thus it might be harder to create a smash character who would be true to the character's representation in the series.

That being said we all know the only acceptable Impa for Smash is Hyrule Warriors Impa.

I always thought Classic Ganon should get in as a newcomer (hey, there's two links and two zeldas, it's only fair :lol) while Dorf stays the same.

Plus, 2D representation!
Pretty much, yea.
other than Temple, there isn't any good representation of the Zelda series pre ocarina in Smash. Pig Gano would rep those games amazingly well.

georly

This stage is left completely unaccounted for.

New stage for Mr. Game & Watch? Or something different?
jJ40lGV.jpg

I enhanced the octopus pic. The background looks like some Mario 3D Land-esque cliffs. I thought maybe it might be from Mushroom Kingdom U when water floods a world but none of the worlds look like that. The water and cliff color are wrong for Wuhu Island and Delphino Plaza. I'm not sure what this level is.

Game and Watch's final smash actually adds a gray-ish filter to the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npk7Fk8e40g#t=768

You can see the room flooding in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCfRCTlULs0#t=132

v1Yh70P.png

Based on yesterday's discussion

Veeboy

If Impa gets in it better be Skyward Sword version and not white-washed Hyrule Warriors version.

This is partially what I mean by Impa's inconsistent characterization. She's white, she's dark skinned, and then sometimes shes just gray.

That being said I'd be all for SS Impa just to add a little more racial diversity on the smash roster. Right now all we've got is Ganondorf (who is closer to green than brown) and the Mii Fighters.

Thorakai

This is partially what I mean by Impa's inconsistent characterization. She's white, she's dark skinned, and then sometimes shes just gray.

That being said I'd be all for SS Impa just to add a little more racial diversity on the smash roster. Right now all we've got is Ganondorf (who is closer to green than brown) and the Mii Fighters.

Even with the Mii Fighters its kinda sad that not one of the three main renders chosen has different skin tone than white. I digress though. I would be down with Impa or Ganon as a new Zelda rep.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A lot of them have newer, better textures (Castle Siege, Onett), but Temple is by far the best looking returning stage. Most likely due to it being one of the most iconic stages.

SSB4UTemple.png

Depends on the stage. Temple has undergone quite a renovation, while the rest are more subtle in their color/texture changes.

Good, good...

MrSaturn99 said:

save the rants for OT stuff :p

Hush, the both of ya.

So regarding the latest video with the 50 things about SSB4. For the most part, I was pleased, but as is generally the case with Sakurai over the past few years, he is not without missteps. And boy howdy, does this game have missteps.

Level count: So Sakurai had that funny little animation of the bar graphs that showed SSB4 Wii-U was supposed to obliterate the 3DS version in terms of level numbers. Of course, he didn't seem to have the foresight to predict that people out there would actually, you know, count them. The 3DS version has 34 levels. How many does the Wii-U version have? A whopping FIVE additional levels! Wow. I'm totally overwhelmed here. No need to go crazy, Sakurai!

I'm sorry, but I didn't look at that cute bar graph animation and think that "not even comparable" meant "a 15% increase". But hey, I guess it's my fault for thinking this was America.

If it was 10 levels higher, okay I can dig that. But anything less is an insult.

Level quality: Of the roughly 60 - 70 levels Sakurai could have chosen from all prior games to bring back, he picks a majority of the worst ones? I mean, really. Delfino Plaza? Bridge of Eldin? Whatever that 8-bit Donkey Kong one is called? Come on, nobody in the world asked for those.

Furthermore, there is no original F-Zero level! Why? Those were among the best ones in the whole series! Even if you all disagree with me on every one of my complaints, you have to agree with this one. That and the Miiverse level blows.

Smash Tour: This would have been great if not for one major flaw: you have to play with other characters. I dunno about you guys, but I have one main that I've stuck with since the 64 version: Mario (and Dr. Mario, I guess). You see, by not having to worry about having to play with other characters and risk dulling one's skill, sticking with one character allows you to put 100% of your effort on improving, honing and refining that characters abilities, thus making him an undefeatable battle god. But now Sakurai wants to ruin everything by forcing us to use other players? The whole point of having the ability to select characters is so that you could don't have to use characters you don't want to. That's like Fighting Games 101. Yet somewhere along the lines, Sakurai seems to have lost his way. A pity.

Alright then, that's it for now. I shall leave my hand palm forward up in the air for all the hundreds of high fives I will no doubt be receiving.

RetroMG

Level count: So Sakurai had that funny little animation of the bar graphs that showed SSB4 Wii-U was supposed to obliterate the 3DS version in terms of level numbers. Of course, he didn't seem to have the foresight to predict that people out there would actually, you know, count them. The 3DS version has 34 levels. How many does the Wii-U version have? A whopping FIVE additional levels! Wow. I'm totally overwhelmed here. No need to go crazy, Sakurai!

I'm sorry, but I didn't look at that cute bar graph animation and think that "not even comparable" meant "a 15% increase". But hey, I guess it's my fault for thinking this was America.

The graph animation you are talking about was about the amount of music in the game, not the number of levels.

Good, good...

Hush, the both of ya.

So regarding the latest video with the 50 things about SSB4. For the most part, I was pleased, but as is generally the case with Sakurai over the past few years, he is not without missteps. And boy howdy, does this game have missteps.

If it was 10 levels higher, okay I can dig that. But anything less is an insult.

Level quality: Of the roughly 60 - 70 levels Sakurai could have chosen from all prior games to bring back, he picks a majority of the worst ones? I mean, really. Delfino Plaza? Bridge of Eldin? Whatever that 8-bit Donkey Kong one is called? Come on, nobody in the world asked for those.

Furthermore, there is no original F-Zero level! Why? Those were among the best ones in the whole series! Even if you all disagree with me on every one of my complaints, you have to agree with this one. That and the Miiverse level blows.

Smash Tour: This would have been great if not for one major flaw: you have to play with other characters. I dunno about you guys, but I have one main that I've stuck with since the 64 version: Mario (and Dr. Mario, I guess). You see, by not having to worry about having to play with other characters and risk dulling one's skill, sticking with one character allows you to put 100% of your effort on improving, honing and refining that characters abilities, thus making him an undefeatable battle god. But now Sakurai wants to ruin everything by forcing us to use other players? The whole point of having the ability to select characters is so that you could don't have to use characters you don't want to. That's like Fighting Games 101. Yet somewhere along the lines, Sakurai seems to have lost his way. A pity.

Alright then, that's it for now. I shall leave my hand palm forward up in the air for all the hundreds of high fives I will no doubt be receiving.
Uh, that bar was about music, not level count. And we don't know all the levels yet anyways. And I like bridge of eldin and delfino plaza. I don't think either of those stages are really disliked

Fiktion

Banned

The bar graphs were about the amount of music, not levels.

was this posted yet?? gamexplain analysis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opKrkH7HEbw&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

it was uploaded some time ago.

He brings up a good point, is Rayquaza a pokeball Pokemon, or a stage hazard?

1.) There's currently 11 more stages on the WiiU version than the 3DS version. We don't even know all of the WiiU stages anyway.

2.) HEY! I liked Delfino Plaza!

3.) If you hate 75m, you're gonna loathe Mario Bros. (Based on an event pic, we might get that stage back.

4.) *Gives high five*

I wouldn't cry foul about the stage roster numbers just yet, as we know that some are certainly unlockable (such as Smashville).

I guess I can agree I'm not that excited about Smash Tour (I'd rather have something like Melee's Adventure Mode or Smash Run), but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I wouldn't cry foul about the stage roster numbers just yet, as we know that some are certainly unlockable (such as Smashville).

I guess I can agree I'm not that excited about Smash Tour (I'd rather have something like Melee's Adventure Mode or Smash Run), but I'm willing to give it a chance.

I just hope Magicant is in, and that they magically get rid of the flying man

There are already 45 confirmed stages. You are just counting the starter stages.

There's also the issue of being spiked through the floor though.

Kangi

Would be really strange if MOTHER and F-Zero were left with one old stage a piece when they both got new stages in the 3DS version that could be easily ported over. I have faith in them being unlockables, but I often wind up disappointed with these things...

Azuran

Banned

Delfino Plaza was brought back because it was the only mainstream Mario stage left from Brawl. Mushroom Kingdom is on 3DS and Mario Bros. is lol. Hell, he also brought back Mario Circuit and Luigi's Mansion, so I don't see the issue here.

For Zelda, it was either Eldin or the Pirate Ship, and since Temple came back as well, I guess he went with the TP level. This is just making me think there's a new Wind Waker HD stage in the game.

As for 8-bit DK, it was either that or Rumble Falls. We would have lost either way so he went for nostalgia at least.

We don't know about F-Zero yet. Mute City was unlockable on the 3DS version even thought Falcon is a starter character.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The graph animation you are talking about was about the amount of music in the game, not the number of levels.

Uh, that bar was about music, not level count.

The bar graphs were about the amount of music, not levels.

...oh.

1.) There's currently 11 more stages on the WiiU version than the 3DS version. We don't even know all of the WiiU stages anyway.

There are already 45 confirmed stages. You are just counting the starter stages.

This page has only 39 though:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds/Wii_U_Stages

Unless you guys are counting the Omega levels as separate stages.

Didn't the video say that all the levels shown in it are the only ones in the game?

4.) *Gives high five*

<3

Kangi

Didn't the video say that all the levels shown in it are the only ones in the game?

There are hidden stages we know about that aren't shown on the default stage list, like Pokemon Stadium 2 and Pacland.

Plus, I believe one of the people who went to the press event mentioned there were unlockable stages that he "wasn't allowed to talk about".

So uh

apparently the Meta Ridley hazard in Pyrosphere is called "Black Ridley" in Japan.

Nope. We've seen brief hints at Smashville and Pokémon Stadium 2, and they're not anywhere to be found in the default roster.

RagnarokX

hpI6p4p.jpg

Gamexplain thinks this is the omega version of Mario Circuit despite it being way too small and having a platform...
While Smash 4 looks great, the MK8 level does sort of highlight how much better that game's lighting system was.

I'll take 8 simultaneous players and 1080p over that though.

So how would people feel about Impa (Hyrule Warriors Impa but it could be most of her designs really) possibly replacing Sheik, since Zelda+Sheik are seperate characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom