• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer girl nonsense, resistance and killzone fans go away please

Clinton514

I posted this on another forum so I'll paste here:
Reading it again, it's clear to see it's a direct play on the general internet forum banter that has been going on since the Resistance 2 screenshots were released. Insomniac harboring some sort of resentment towards a friendly competitor on the same side...sounds a bit far fetched.

Oh surfer boy, the stories you tell. :D

Deepblue

Banned
Actually I think MoH Airborne takes that title. Unfortunately the actual game is really mediocre. You can't really judge gameplay from mechanics. We still have not seen enough to form an idea of how well Killzone 2 plays, whether it be poor or phenomenal.

Kafel

Banned
squatingyeti said:
He didn't say it looked bad. He said it seems to be struggling in the gameplay department. The area where gaf couldn't care less. Therefore, KZ2 is still on pace to be the best game ever.

Like KZ1 at its time ?

Snah

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Once again, you keep saying best you've seen. He's not talking about what you see. He's talking about what you PLAY. Face it, KZ2 will seem like a ridiculous money waste when R2 delivers all the goods.

Wow. I cannot believe you are having a problem comprehending this.

Use of COVER in a FPS game = Gameplay mechanics = PART OF THE GAMEPLAY, NOT GRAPHICS.

KZ2 won't seem like a ridiculous waste of money when R2 delivers the goods....I am looking forward to both games for different reasons. Did Halo 3 make CoD4 seem like a waste of money? Orange Box? C'mon, this binary one or the other shit needs to stop.

Nolan.

Lightning said:
All I can say that if Killzone 2 sucks Sony should get rid of Guerilla Games. They are money wasting idiots.

Good graphics does not equal good game.

To be honest even if it turns out ok i'd rather see sony spend some of the time they do on Guerilla on other worthy studios, imo.

Dante

squatingyeti said:
Once again, you keep saying best you've seen. He's not talking about what you see. He's talking about what you PLAY. Face it, KZ2 will seem like a ridiculous money waste when R2 delivers all the goods.

People that have actually played it seemed very positive on the old Liepzig build. Unless everything has completely fallen apart not sure how it could all of a sudden become a disaster.

Tideas

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Name one FPS that has a REAL FPS cover system. Leaning system != Cover system

Cause 2 great games can't happen right?

And the fact that Guerilla is working on Edge which is being used in several other Sony games is totally making it a waste of money.

that's what i meant. You can't say it has the best because it is the first. There's no benchmark to compare it to.

You can say it's good, but it can only be the best when other guys try to imitate and gets compared

WrikaWrek

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'd imagine they want to give R2 the spotlight there. I doubt Sony really cares about any of this stuff, they bought all the time they need with KZ2 after showing it at E3 last year and shutting up so many people.

Sony cares when one of their games goes over budget. Any company cares about that, in every industry. Going over budget is never ok, and doubling the initial budget is a disaster.

Deepblue said:
Incorrect. GRAW could be played entirely in first person.
On the PC. Which has no cover system.

Tideas said:
that's what i meant. You can't say it has the best because it is the first. There's no benchmark to compare it to.

You can say it's good, but it can only be the best when other guys try to imitate and gets compared
Ah, Sorry. I miss understood you.

Well reports are that it works pretty great and has all the correct world animations when other players are looking at you. That's all it matters.

Kittonwy

Banned
squatingyeti said:

The same could be said of Sony's OTHER FPS franchise, it's just the consequence of the awesomeness of Insomniac as a developer and Resistance as an IP, but it doesn't mean Sony should have only one first-party FPS IP when all of them can be successful, albeit to a varying degree.

Deepblue

Banned
Snah said:

Use of COVER in a FPS game = Gameplay mechanics = PART OF THE GAMEPLAY, NOT GRAPHICS.

KZ2 won't seem like a ridiculous waste of money when R2 delivers the goods....I am looking forward to both games for different reasons. Did Halo 3 make CoD4 seem like a waste of money? Orange Box? C'mon, this binary one or the other shit needs to stop.

No, considering CoD4 and Halo3 are both making metric tons of cash by the minute.

Seems to echo a lot of Shane's sentiments that K2 is going to be all looks with little substance. I can't believe after all this time Sony would consider pushing this game out early and let it be torn to shreds. I don't see the harm in waiting to release this game until early 2009 once R2 hype begins to settle.

WrikaWrek said:
Sony cares when one of their games goes over budget. Any company cares about that, in every industry. Going over budget is never ok, and doubling the initial budget is a disaster.

If that's the case then they probably do care, i'm saying they don't care what random sites are saying about its quality because they've already bought the time they need. As far as KZ2 goes right now all we can go by is the hands on previews we've seen and they've overwhelmingly positive, and considering how much doubt there was for it going into E3 people would've ripped it to shreds if it wasn't actually fun to play.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Snah said:

I can't believe you're having a problem comprehending this. YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED THE GAME. Just because it may look good, doesn't mean it actually IS good as far as gameplay goes. If you're to believe Surfergirl has inside sources, then they've actually PLAYED the game and said this.

Lots of games LOOK to have some cool gameplay, but never DELIVER what LOOKED good. So, who's having a problem comprehending here?

WrikaWrek

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
If that's the case then they probably do care, i'm saying they don't care what random sites are saying about its quality because they've already bought the time they need. As far as KZ2 goes right now all we can go by is the hands on previews we've seen and they've overwhelmingly positive, and considering how much doubt there was for it going into E3 people would've ripped it to shreds if it wasn't actually fun to play.

Of course, i agree with you.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Seems to echo a lot of Shane's sentiments that K2 is going to be all looks with little substance. I can't believe after all this time Sony would consider pushing this game out early and let it be torn to shreds. I don't see the harm in waiting to release this game until early 2009 once R2 hype begins to settle.

I don't see how it could be all looks and no substance, although I suppose it depends on what "substance" is. It's already been demonstrated to offer something above the baseline standard in terms of gameplay. Not that I think it will be a very good game, but if there is one negative thing that can't be said about the original game it'd be that it stuck too close to standards.

By the way, isn't Shane that assclown who plain doesn't get first person shooters?

squatingyeti said:
I can't believe you're having a problem comprehending this. YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED THE GAME. Just because it may look good, doesn't mean it actually IS good as far as gameplay goes. If you're to believe Surfergirl has inside sources, then they've actually PLAYED the game and said this.

Lots of games LOOK to have some cool gameplay, but never DELIVER what LOOKED good. So, who's having a problem comprehending here?
Many other people have also played it and gave good feedback.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Dante said:
People that have actually played it seemed very positive on the old Liepzig build. Unless everything has completely fallen apart not sure how it could all of a sudden become a disaster.

Preview type reports, are for the vast majority:

a) negative

b) positive

Your answer to that could explain a lot.

Ceb

Valkyr Junkie said:

Shane has it in for Killzone. He didn't like the old GDC tech demo and one of his E3 predictions for last year was that Killzone would disappoint. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Nolan. said:
To be honest even if it turns out ok i'd rather see sony spend some of the time they do on Guerilla on other worthy studios, imo.

It's called diversifying your portfolio, Insomniac is already working on two IPs on the PS3, it's not like they can do another IP even if Sony gives them more money, Naughty Dog is only one team at this point and they're already working on the Uncharted IP and maybe another Jak game down the line, same with Sucker Punch with Infamous which isn't a small task, Incog is essentially absorbed into Santa Monica and I'm not sure if Dylan Jobe has a big team and they're probably busy with Warhawk content. Where would they spend that money if they're not supporting Guerilla Games? Guerilla Games has talent, but with most of the SCEE studios, they haven't produced truly AAA games, I'm just not sure why.

Deepblue

Banned
Snah said:
Uhh, and KZ2 and R2 can't do the same thing?

What is your damn point?

My point is that if the budget is as high as rumored, the return on Killzone 2 will not compare to the return on Resistance 2. Also, the 360 is much more viable platform for such risky investments considering the software sales (hence the quip about CoD4 and Halo 3 rolling in the cash). While things very well may change in reaction to FF13/MGS4 and other anticipated titles, as it stands now it is very unlikely Killzone 2 would be able to give a good return on the investment.

EDIT: I see now, you believe that KZ2 will drive hardware sales. This is something I personally am not anticipating, but I can fully understand why people would think it would.

Snah

Banned
squatingyeti said:

So, because I haven't played the game, I can't comment on what I've seen of the gameplay? When you're watching a videogame being played, you cannot make any assessment on the title other than the graphics? You're just being absolutely silly now.

They had an entire gameplay demonstration where they specifically showed off the new gameplay/cover mechanics in full detail, it looked and sounded sweet, not because of the graphics, but because of how intuitive it is.

I'm not saying the entire gameplay is guaranteed to be great, but what I am saying is that of the aspects they've showed in a polished state, they look solid and nothing to fret over in terms of being 'mediocre'.

Snah

Banned
Deepblue said:
My point is that if the budget is as high as rumored, the return on Killzone 2 will not compare to the return on Resistance 2.

Perhaps true, but if it pushes more PS3s then the financial cost isn't accurately accounted for. This is a big name title for Sony not necessarily to make a profit (though they certainly can do just that if the title ends up being amazing), but to push systems this fall.

Tideas

Banned
You guys do know both R2 and Killzone 2 can be release fine on the same system right? Look at the PS2. Just cuz Final Fantasy were released on it didn't stop SE from releasing other RPGs on the PS2.

Perhaps 360 fanboys are scared that if both R2 and Killzone 2 turn out to be good, they'll have nothing to argue back with?

Btw, devs don't hate each other. Only fanboys do.

Madman

That all sounds rather over the top, like everything she says about Ubisoft. Killzone looked solid in video form and was generally well recieved by those who played it. I'll wait and see.

And something had to have cost more then Shenmue. Duke Nukem Forever has to have cost more at this point, right?

Valkyr Junkie said:

But how would Shane KNOW? There really hasn't been shown a lot of KZ2, right? If he's judging by the level in the gameplay videos, that would hardly be enough to judge a game by. I'm all for GG and Sony to take their time with this. In the mean time there will be other great FPS games around.

Tideas said:
You guys do know both R2 and Killzone 2 can be release fine on the same system right? Look at the PS2. Just cuz Final Fantasy were released on it didn't stop SE from releasing other RPGs on the PS2.

Yeah I don't get why some Sony fans keep acting like they're in competition. Sony's not going to release them close enoguh that one could cut into the other so there's no reason to even worry about that.

Draft

Tideas said:

Perhaps 360 fanboys are scared that if both R2 and Killzone 2 turn out to be good, they'll have nothing to argue back with?

Btw, devs don't hate each other. Only fanboys do.
Denis Dyack hates Mark Rein.

Tomonobu Itagaki hates whoever made Tekken.

Derek Smart (Derek Smart DEREK SMART) hates everybody.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Snah said:
Perhaps true, but if it pushes more PS3s then the financial cost isn't accurately accounted for. This is a big name title for Sony not necessarily to make a profit (though they certainly can do just that if the title ends up being amazing), but to push systems this fall/

For the game to push systems it has to sell well....you can't have a game selling systems and then not selling well, that doesn't make any sense.

If this is true and the budget is heading upwards 60million+, the higher it goes, the more dangerous it is for the franchise, guerrilla and to the Sony guys who gave the go ahead to the team to keep spending money.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Snah said:
So, because I haven't played the game, I can't comment on what I've seen of the gameplay? When you're watching a videogame being played, you cannot make any assessment on the title other than the graphics? You're just being absolutely silly now.

They had an entire gameplay demonstration where they specifically showed off the new gameplay/cover mechanics in full detail, it looked and sounded sweet, not because of the graphics, but because of how intuitive it is.

I'm not saying the entire gameplay is guaranteed to be great, but what I am saying is that of the aspects they've showed in a polished state, they look solid and nothing to fret over in terms of being 'mediocre'.

My point exactly. If they showed one area of Halo and it including some really good stuff, but the rest was garbage flood levels, is the game good because of what they originally showed? Like I said, lots of games show some promising stuff, but that doesn't make the game overall not be mediocre. I'm just saying he apparently has sources that know a little more than you or I. If you believe this person at all, then I'd wager they know how the rest of the game is based on said sources.

Dante

Valkyr Junkie said:

surfergirl.jpg

Cowabunga!

Kittonwy

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
*cough* KZL *cough* :)

Liberation was very good, I do think Guerilla Games was moving in the right direction in terms of becoming a quality developer, but it's not exactly an ambitious game in terms of technology or game design, it's like Sony Bend made a couple of great Syphon Filter games on the PSP, but can they really tackle a huge project on the PS3? Who knows. Personally I want Killzone 2 to succeed, because it would mean I have another quality game to play.

Snah

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
For the game to push systems it has to sell well....you can't have a game selling systems and then not selling well, that doesn't make any sense.

If this is true and the budget is heading upwards 60million+, the higher it goes, the more dangerous it is for the franchise, guerrilla and to the Sony guys who gave the go ahead to the team to keep spending money.

Right, but if the claims of the ridiculous budget are true, it can still sell highly and not turn a profit directly.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
AltogetherAndrews said:
Wow, squatingyeti certainly turned into a surfergirl fan fast, huh?

I couldn't care less if he is right or wrong. The fact is, R2 will be a far better game, have cost less money, and be completed in a shorter time period. To me, that's where the money from Sony should be going.

I'm simply commenting on THIS particular statement from surfergirl. I've NEVER said I didn't believe anything he said. If you can find where I've said any such thing, then continue on. Otherwise, go back to your rampage against UBI whom you've turned on over a not too long period.

I've always thought he has inside sources and he's been pretty good at telling whatever he can. I started commenting on those saying KZ2 must be good because it looked good from what they saw.

Kittonwy said:
Liberation was very good, I do think Guerilla Games was moving in the right direction in terms of becoming a quality developer, but it's not exactly an ambitious game in terms of technology or game design, it's like Sony Bend made a couple of great Syphon Filter games on the PSP, but can they really tackle a huge project on the PS3? Who knows. Personally I want Killzone 2 to succeed, because it would mean I have another quality game to play.
I have to disagree with you there. It has a huge variate of locations/weather effects, impressive ragdoll physics, great vehicle physics/control, it looks very good, huge maps with no loads in them, great infrastructures mode, co-op, integration with Killzone.net. All this in an handle held game.

It's indeed, technically speaking, a very impressive title. And great thing is, it plays great too xD

squatingyeti said:
I couldn't care less if he is right or wrong. The fact is, R2 will be a far better game, have cost less money, and be completed in a shorter time period. To me, that's where the money from Sony should be going.

Weren't you just ranting to someone about how they haven't played the game? And now you're saying this?

Dante

Deepblue said:
I thought there was only one hands-on? (N'Gai)

It was on the 1up Liepzig special, I beleive Patrick, and Matt Leone had hands on I beleive it was Patrick who said it was so polished they could oput that level up on PSN in its curent state. and Game Informer played it as well.

Deepblue

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I have to disagree with you there. It has a huge variate of locations/weather effects, impressive ragdoll physics, great vehicle physics/control, it looks very good, huge maps with no loads in them, great infrastructures mode, co-op, integration with Killzone.net. All this in an handle held game.

It's indeed, technically speaking, a very impressive title. And great thing is, it plays great too xD
You haven't seen any of that. No one in the public has. How the hell can you presume to judge that will all turn out amazing?

Top Bottom