• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag |OT| A Little Kirito in Your Pocket

chrono01

I think I'm beginning to see the flaws in this one.

One thing that REALLY bothers me, is how an enemy will charge in from off-screen and knock you down. You literally have no time to prepare for it, given the precision of the controls, and often-times another will come in right afterwards, after you recovered, and knock you down again. I even have the camera pulled as far back as I can and it still doesn't seem like enough. If I could immediately guard/counter it wouldn't be so bad, but there's no time to do so. If only you can guard and move and the same time...

Honestly, I don't know how long I'll stick with it. My time is already limited with gatcha games, and my console backlog is growing larger by the day. I'm thinking of cutting back/limiting myself to maybe two, maybe three, and calling it. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Fire Emblem will probably be locked in for the foreseeable future. The rest...I'll have to think on. I do need to make some changes, I hardly play console games anymore since by the time I finish burning stamina on one game, it's replenished on another. Then, when I finish on all of them, my free-time is over. Rinse/Repeat.

:/

Kitoro

yeah i dont get how to beat kirito in this event.

he seems to have super armor the whole time while he can easily knock me back.

Feel like if I had a gamepad or something this would be doable... but the swipe controls just feel not precise enough.

Is there some secret to this fight?
There is no dodging of any sort involved in beating Kirito. It's all about parrying and attacking/supering into him over and over until he dies. Once you get parrying down, it's near impossible to lose.

DrkSage

Started the game a few days ago, the only *4 card I've got from the scout (not counting nightware asuma, and alo kirito cause those are given automatically) was SAO philia. Saved up 250 got a bunch of 2 stars with the last one being a 3 star Klein. I've wish I've known about rerolling before continue playing but this was my first gacha game, and I already spent $5 ( I always do this when trying a game) so it doesn't seem convenient to delete the app and start from scratch just to try my luck to get an S-tier character.

The games fun but it's a real grind fest and that would surely imo put out people that haven't played a gacha game in their life but decided to give this game a try because it's sword art online.

And finally a question: "meet new player" bonuses are limited right. Once you reach the limit they stop and don't reset, right?

darkwing

Started the game a few days ago, the only *4 card I've got from the scout (not counting nightware asuma, and alo kirito cause those are given automatically) was SAO philia. Saved up 250 got a bunch of 2 stars with the last one being a 3 star Klein. I've wish I've known about rerolling before continue playing but this was my first gacha game, and I already spent $5 ( I always do this when trying a game) so it doesn't seem convenient to delete the app and start from scratch just to try my luck to get an S-tier character.

The games fun but it's a real grind fest and that would surely imo put people that haven't played a gacha game in their life but decided to give this game a try because it's sword art online.

And finally a question: "meet new player" bonuses are limited right. Once you reach the limit they stop and don't reset, right?

yup on that question

This game really grew on me and I'm enjoying it a lot. I find even the grind fun. My only worry is the aggressive as hell pricing once the free bonuses are gone. I got the urge and spent 300 on free diamonds and got a 4* Silica. At $5 per roll for a 4% chance on random 4* is insane even at half price.

Jeffrey

There is no dodging of any sort involved in beating Kirito. It's all about parrying and attacking/supering into him over and over until he dies. Once you get parrying down, it's near impossible to lose.

How do you fill up the mp then? You can only do like 2-3 skills before you run out.

I'm not even sure if my casting seven can even parry?

MiTYH

How do you fill up the mp then? You can only do like 2-3 skills before you run out.

There's a video on reddit of someone beating it with just a level 40something unit. It's all about timing, timing, and timing.

I suck at it too

Your MP refills when you attack. So parry, use a skill, parry again, do your normal attacking combo, parry, attack. Repeat until your MP is back to full, then use a skill again. When he drops to yellow and red, he can use starburst stream which can take out a ton of life and can't be parried, so instead you gotta dodge that. If you got the burst, thats when you parry and use your skills to kill him so he doesn't even pull it off.

I don't have a mage, but I don't think they can parry, you might want to use a melee instead. The timing for the parry is actually pretty doable with practice.

Jeffrey

Oh realize that parry stuns them so even with no mp your switched unit can get a full normal combo going just fine.

Yeah switching out my mage for freebie kirito

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This game really grew on me and I'm enjoying it a lot. I find even the grind fun. My only worry is the aggressive as hell pricing once the free bonuses are gone. I got the urge and spent 300 on free diamonds and got a 4* Silica. At $5 per roll for a 4% chance on random 4* is insane even at half price.

That's pretty much par for the course in these games, and honestly, 4% is higher than most games for top units. Sad but true.

Uthred

Tempted to pull on the new ALO up rate gacha, really want Yuuki, but I'll hold off in hopes of a proper x2 gacha

Hycran

Banned
Tempted to pull on the new ALO up rate gacha, really want Yuuki, but I'll hold off in hopes of a proper x2 gacha

That's what I was wondering about. I scraped together 250 crystals but after this my crystal supply is basically pooched. Is now the best time to pull or do they have even better events?

Uthred

That's what I was wondering about. I scraped together 250 crystals but after this my crystal supply is basically pooched. Is now the best time to pull or do they have even better events?

Probably better to wait, even if there isnt a x2 gacha there'll be gacha's with new units where there are more top tier units in the pool.

Of course I failed to follow my own advice, did four single pulls, 3 2* garbage and then I saw that purple glow, its someone with a sword!...Its Strea, Yuuki dreams crushed ;) Though its eminently preferable to more 2* shite

garath

That reroll took forever and I need to redownload almost a gig of data. Um. No thanks.

I think I'll reroll a max of a couple more times but that's it. I'll play it a little bit but this may be another very short lived gatcha game for me.

Hycran

Banned
Probably better to wait, even if there isnt a x2 gacha there'll be gacha's with new units where there are more top tier units in the pool.

Of course I failed to follow my own advice, did four single pulls, 3 2* garbage and then I saw that purple glow, its someone with a sword!...Its Strea, Yuuki dreams crushed ;) Though its eminently preferable to more 2* shite

I think I'm going to delete my account and try again. Just did the 250 and it was complete shit. I'm going to keep rerolling until I get something good then horde crystals

Kitoro

Parry > Special > Parry > Special > Parry > Combo + 1 Possible Extra Hit > Parry > Combo + 1 Possible Extra Hit > Parry > Special > Combo + 1 Possible Extra Hit > Parry > Rinse and Repeat As Needed

If you do it right, you won't even get hit once.

Kettch

The 3* dagger silica plays the same as the 4* if you want to get a feel for it though. She was the most fun on that first stage while I was re-rolling.

DrkSage

Game crashed while scouting a new character, the diamonds got taken away but I can't find the new character D:

Why doesn't this game slap a "new" to characters you get.

I think I just lost 25 diamonds

Pejo

Got my Seven and Yuuki up to level 77 tonight, maxed out their Def thanks to the daily and have enough materials to get them maxed Def to 80. I really enjoy the co-op mode, until you get 1+ assholes that just afk at the start.

I played around with the characters on the new banner. I wouldn't mind that new Kirito, but he doesn't seem as good as the Black Swordsman variant. My pulls got me nothing of note today, just some dupes and 3*s. I really like pulling as soon as I get 25 gems in this game for some reason.

The combat continues to be a lot of fun. It reminds me a lot of the BlazBlue mobile game, as far as the controls.

Seven absolutely wrecks house at level 70+ with her 2nd and 3rd skills.

Max level demons weren't even required. I don't even think i used any demon units in my main party other than a LB2 Coro. There were several very useful fortune ring store units that could be guaranteed max limit broken, like Lindsay and Tristian.

And you're right that it really helped to have high-level friends, which is one of the things that aggravated me about this game.

Yeah fortune ring units were great. That said, now that I think about it, the daily missions give 5 fragments a day, so you get more than a gatcha pull a week, which is actually fairly generous (usually login bonuses don't give out that much if any premium currency)

And the new event is multiplayer, but from what I've tried requires team work at the highest level (took me 6 plus minutes to solo). A person can probably carry others for the lvl 50 quest though

Raika

This new dragon boss is a dick, it's ridiculously hard to clear solo without some form of healing. The dragon has a stupid amount of HP and there's only so many hits a non-Silica unit can take without heals.

This new dragon boss is a dick, it's ridiculously hard to clear solo without some form of healing. The dragon has a stupid amount of HP and there's only so many hits a non-Silica unit can take without heals.

Multiplayer is great fun though. Seven is the MVP for the event, which is great cos I think players with her had the hardest time with the Kirito duel. She heals, she zaps the dragon from the sky, she piles the combo meter really high (and therefore the damage multiplier too). I think all my S ranked runs came with a Seven in the party.

Runs without a healer are interesting. There are a lot of non-max lvl people joining EX runs, and usually they die a lot. But they also use diamonds to revive (which heals the whole party) so the success rate is surprisingly high. Max level chars generally give up when they die (including me), so one death generally results in an abandoned quest.

My only wish is that you can rejoin your party after a successful run, you find a good group and then its over, and the friend limit is way too low. If anyone wants to party up in SEA, let me know. Is there a GAF list somewhere?

Raika

Multiplayer is great fun though. Seven is the MVP for the event, which is great cos I think players with her had the hardest time with the Kirito duel. She heals, she zaps the dragon from the sky, she piles the combo meter really high (and therefore the damage multiplier too). I think all my S ranked runs came with a Seven in the party.

Runs without a healer are interesting. There are a lot of non-max lvl people joining EX runs, and usually they die a lot. But they also use diamonds to revive (which heals the whole party) so the success rate is surprisingly high. Max level chars generally give up when they die (including me), so one death generally results in an abandoned quest.

My only wish is that you can rejoin your party after a successful run, you find a good group and then its over, and the friend limit is way too low. If anyone wants to party up in SEA, let me know. Is there a GAF list somewhere?

Only done 1 multiplayer run so far, it was still a struggle with 3 lv80s (Sinon/Leafa/Yuuki), no idea how we're supposed to farm this event reliably. Also there's a list in the first post, but most of GAF is on NA I believe.

Have 250 gems. Worth pulling on this banner?

If you mean ALO banner, no. From what I've read Asuna is the only good unit, and even then she's not top tier. Save for wind gacha, wind Yuuki and Asuna are both amazing.

Only done 1 multiplayer run so far, it was still a struggle with 3 lv80s (Sinon/Leafa/Yuuki), no idea how we're supposed to farm this event reliably. Also there's a list in the first post, but most of GAF is on NA I believe.

Technically the Lvl 50 quest drops everything the lvl 80 does, just at a slightly lower rate, so you could just farm that. 2 80s + a 3 star healer works better than 3 80s from what I've seen, your time may suffer a bit, but at least you'll clear it

DigtialT

Wow the rates on a 250 gem pull is garbage, got only one 3 star, a bunch of 2 stars, and the same 2 star character three times in a row. That really kills your motivation to save up to 250.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow the rates on a 250 gem pull is garbage, got only one 3 star, a bunch of 2 stars, and the same 2 star character three times in a row. That really kills your motivation to save up to 250.

People have said that it's more worth pulling one at a time. It seems crazy, but the way the rates work, it doesn't surprise me.

Kettch

Man, it might take a while to S-rank this dragon. Managed to get a solid Seven party that finished in 2:14, gotta cut another 15 seconds off that. Probably need a second Silica to do it.

Pejo

I know both my 4 stars were from the single pull one. That's what I'll be doing from now on.

Yea, I've only gotten 4*s from single pulls, I'll never do a 10+1 again unless they hand me a lump sum of gems at once.

I'm excited that this brand new event lets unlock stats on our free Fairy Kiritos. I was wondering how long it would be until they let us do it. Looks like lots of grinding ahead to get him to 100 though. I mean LOTS.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
From what I've seen, wait until the Wind banner, which should be next.

If you mean ALO banner, no. From what I've read Asuna is the only good unit, and even then she's not top tier. Save for wind gacha, wind Yuuki and Asuna are both amazing.

I saw that the banner was going to last until Feb 18, and I don't even know if I'll be playing that long so I pulled.

I pulled 11 pieces of crap.

Yikes haha. I did get 8 of those crystals tho. If I actually paid $34 for that pull I would punch myself in the face repeatedly.

I can already tell that this game is going to suffer the same problem that Naruto did when it comes to pulls - you pull a top level character or else the pull is absolute trash. That's unfortunate. Seems like pulling outside of a guaranteed banner is a waste.

chrono01

Seems like pulling outside of a guaranteed banner is a waste.
I don't believe this game has ever received a guaranteed banner, even in the Japanese version.

Actually, I don't think they've even had rate-up banners, where the chance for a 4* are doubled. The only rate-up, that I can see, is where they increase the chance for a specific character to appear over those not on the banner, but the chance overall is still only 4*. So yeah, disappointing. :/

DrkSage

*pressed scout, first of the day*
*pray to luck gods*
*spent 25 diamonds*

*Argos smiling with a really big grin and sparkles*

Holy shit...

*sparks and shit everywhere*

jKeRgmj.jpg

W-00

*pressed scout, first of the day*
*pray to luck gods*
*spent 25 diamonds*

*Argos smiling with a really big grin and sparkles*

Holy shit...

*sparks and shit everywhere*

*Inspired by this.*

*Spends 25 diamonds.*

*Argo doesn't sparkle.*

*Resigned to a garbage pull.*

*Teleport ring sparkles to 3 star level.*

*Teleport ring sparkles to 4 star level.*

*4 star Rain comes out.*

Wow, I didn't know 4 stars could come out without Argo-sparkles. I guess she's an upgrade to Nightie Asuna.

DrkSage

*Inspired by this.*

*Spends 25 diamonds.*

*Argo doesn't sparkle.*

*Resigned to a garbage pull.*

*Teleport ring sparkles to 3 star level.*

*Teleport ring sparkles to 4 star level.*

*4 star Rain comes out.*

Wow, I didn't know 4 stars could come out without Argo-sparkles. I guess she's an upgrade to Nightie Asuna.

Maybe it works something like this

Argo smiling normally :) = 2*
Argo big smile = 3* or 4* (more chances of a 3*)
Argo big smile and sparkles= guaranteed 4*

???

Either way, congrats on the scout xD luck gods are on our side

Caim

Maybe it works something like this

Argo smiling normally :) = 2*
Argo big smile = 3* or 4* (more chances of a 3*)
Argo big smile and sparkles= guaranteed 4*

???

Either way, congrats on the scout xD luck gods are on our side

Yeah that's exactly how it works.

Congrats! :)

Pejo

Hell yea, my 2nd pull of the night and I got Skill Connect Kirito. No idea if he's good, but I wanted a non 3* Kirito just because, so I'm pretty damn happy.

Hycran

Banned
After getting my third SAO Liz I had all but given up hope, but the rng gods bestowed rain on me. She hits like a truck and I've been ploughing through content at a merciless pace, definitely worth the rerolls. Also, a lot of guys are weak to mace so SAO Liz doesn't seem that bad. Having a full 4 star party is great but I can't help but wonder if Kirito is better than camisole asuna now that his candy is available

Top Bottom