• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag |OT| A Little Kirito in Your Pocket

My no reroll policy seems to have paid off pretty well.

ibQUW6X.jpg

Not a perfect party, but pretty damn good with Suine holding Seven's spot till my party can be big enough.

chrono01

My thanks to chrono01, psyfer, and everyone else who has offered up 4 star accounts for their generosity, but I finally no longer need it because I finally rolled a 4 star of my very own!

Kirito! In the second roll on that account (the first being a 3 star Klein).

Hm... No waifus on this account. I'd better reroll.

After making very, very sure I have the transfer data for this one safe, that is.
Congrats on the Kirito. :)

10 pull on weapons or characters: what's more useful?
I'd say save for characters until you have a decent variety of them, then try for weapons. Personally, I have a feeling we'll be receiving a Valentine's Day banner pretty soon, and if past holiday-themed characters are any indication, they'll probably be very strong (and limited).

Honestly, the existence of 1*, 2*, and 3* units in this game is really silly, seeing as all of them are complete trash, and never need to be used with the two free 4* and potential 4* tutorial pull, once cost is up enough.

In addition, the weapon gahca is also silly, as anything but the 4* weapons with a 4% drop rate are event farmable, relative trash.

They really should have just left out 1 and 2* characters, merged the Character and Weapon Gacha with rates of:

35% 3* Character

35% 2/4* Weapon

22% 3/4* Weapon

4% 4/5* Weapon

4% 4* Character

That would have made a whole lot more sense, IMO.
Character rates at 4% are typical of most gatcha games, but they often-times have a double-rate event where they double. I'm not sure if this happens in SAO or not. I do agree with removing 1* characters from the gatcha, though. Those should be restricted to story drops or through some of a free draw (Friend Point?) system.

Weapon rates definitely need to be higher than 4% for a 4*. I know they're not as expensive to do a multi-pull for when compared to characters, but it still doesn't seem especially worth it to me, at least this early on. :/

Soooo... this just happened. Been rerolling since yesterday

I can finally start playing !
Nice job!

My no reroll policy seems to have paid off pretty well.

Not a perfect party, but pretty damn good with Suine holding Seven's spot till my party can be big enough.
Seven will be invaluable in the future. You did good! Plus, Asuna is an added bonus.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thanks for the feedback on weapon vs character pulls. I'm almost at 250.

Separately is there a way to select an enemy to focus on?

Quixzlizx

I think this game might end up being too twitchy for me, or at least too twitchy for a touch-controls game. I'm at level 80 and I can barely get to the mid-fight cutscene with Gleam Eyes. My intended sidestep gesture to actual sidestep ratio has been... less than 100% so far, but this is the first quest where it's apparently too much for me to overcome.

Kettch

I think this game might end up being too twitchy for me, or at least too twitchy for a touch-controls game. I'm at level 80 and I can barely get to the mid-fight cutscene with Gleam Eyes. My intended sidestep gesture to actual sidestep ratio has been... less than 100% so far, but this is the first quest where it's apparently too much for me to overcome.

One issue I had around that point was that I was spam tapping too much. If you just tap once to attack you can dodge out really quickly afterward.

Articalys

This the first RPG-type mobile game I've ever played, and good lord it feels like there's a ton of mechanics involved here. There's multiple time-limited events going on at once, special hour-long bonus quests that only happen three times a day, weaknesses/resists to account for, and I'm still not sure I understand everything about how to raise stats between the items, keys, and whatever the hell limit breaks are.

Looks and runs great, though. Really impressed with the production values for a F2P game, even though things can get a bit chaotic at times and make it hard to see attacks coming.

Probably also a massive battery drainer too.

Raika

General tip: If you need to side-step upwards, swipe diagonally up instead of straight up. Upwards is the most annoying direction to side-step in because you might end up accidentally jumping and eating an attack anyway. Also try parrying more if side-stepping fails you, the Kirito quest is a good place to practice it.

Quonny

Best time to target is when you're using an ability. It's basically like 1.5 seconds where nothing moves and it gives you a chance to easily tap their body.

darkwing

This the first RPG-type mobile game I've ever played, and good lord it feels like there's a ton of mechanics involved here. There's multiple time-limited events going on at once, special hour-long bonus quests that only happen three times a day, weaknesses/resists to account for, and I'm still not sure I understand everything about how to raise stats between the items, keys, and whatever the hell limit breaks are.

Looks and runs great, though. Really impressed with the production values for a F2P game, even though things can get a bit chaotic at times and make it hard to see attacks coming.

Probably also a massive battery drainer too.

yup it's a massive battery drainer

Quonny

Nightgown Asuna is C-tier after more research. She's better than a 3* but worse than all 4*.

I am starting to regret keeping Seven seeing how much damage literally all other characters do.

Seeing as how I have a maxed out Asuna in terms of stats and a 3* gacha weapon on her and I'm being out damaged by level 60 4* characters is really discouraging and if this game is so dependent on pulling the elusive elite characters I don't know how much I'll be investing in this.

Raika

I rolled a 4 star Yuuki on the free pull. Should I keep her or keep rolling for a Silica?

Yuuki is a keeper. Yuuki is top tier while Silica is god tier, but both can steamroll all current content.

Yuuki is a beastly DPS but can't self-heal, Silica can DPS and self-buff and self-heal.

Depends on whether you have the patience to spend
an eternity or two
rerolling for Silica.

volgihn

Yuuki is a keeper. Yuuki is top tier while Silica is god tier, but both can steamroll all current content.

Yuuki is a beastly DPS but can't self-heal, Silica can DPS and self-buff and self-heal.

Depends on whether you have the patience to spend
an eternity or two
rerolling for Silica.

I've been rolling for 3 days I think I'm done, thanks.

Quonny

Well, I guess I'm done for now.

Literally nothing worth improving. Maxed Nightgown Asuna and Seven is maxed outside of defense and crit. Not gonna waste time investing in 3* and grinding out a 4* earring isn't worth it when your character does 25% of the damage of Silica and half the damage of any 4*, even ones with worse gear and not even level capped.

/salt

Jeffrey

how do you get the 3rd skills for units?

I hear you have to be lvl 50, but is it in the skill tree somewhere?

nvm foudn it.

darkwing

Literally nothing worth improving. Maxed Nightgown Asuna and Seven is maxed outside of defense and crit. Not gonna waste time investing in 3* and grinding out a 4* earring isn't worth it when your character does 25% of the damage of Silica and half the damage of any 4*, even ones with worse gear and not even level capped.

/salt

login everyday and hope to get 25 to roll Silica?

Uthred

Just realised last night that when upgrading attributes you can select the furthest level, upgrade it and it will fill in all intermediate levels. Less annoying than filling in each orb one by one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

/salt

Yeah, the requirements of a team of decent 4* stuff all around is part of the reason I don't think I'm going to keep playing. Sure, I can finish the main story or whatever, but the real draw of these types of games is the endgame stuff. Without a maxed good 4* squad with 4* gacha weapons, being competitive is nearly impossible.

Damn, Silica is beastly once she gets her 3rd skill. I was struggling with gleam eyes but once I got that skill she demolished him lol.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, I think I'm done. 90% of Gleam Eyes' attacks are purple, so they can't be parried. And the area of attack for his main attack is so wide you need to dodge twice to get out of it. And the chances of me consistently dodging upwards twice in quick succession without one of them not registering or causing me to jump instead is zero.

I've even tried practice rounds where I don't even try to attack him and spend the entire time evading, and I still can't do it.

Hycran

Banned
I'm at about level 25/26 with the stock bonus characters (got tired of re-rolling) and im finding my progress is slow now. Is there anything else to do but to start re-grinding levels over and over again for XP and hope for good rolls?

Kettch

Finally made use of some of that Google Opinion Rewards money and got the 50 diamond pack. Hard to find worthwhile things to spend just a couple dollars on. :p

I'm at about level 25/26 with the stock bonus characters (got tired of re-rolling) and im finding my progress is slow now. Is there anything else to do but to start re-grinding levels over and over again for XP and hope for good rolls?

You can run the extra quest that pops up 3 times a day for an hour, which drops a lot of XP potions. That's the best way to level up your characters if you're having trouble. Next one starts in a little under 4 hours.

W-00

I made my first 11-roll on my Seven account. Got 4* SAO Asuna. I guess that's a pretty solid upgrade to using Nightie Asuna for close combat. Suppose I'll start saving diamonds for a good event, now.

I still keep getting crap. How do I emulate the game on PC so I don't have to keep reinstalling on my phone?

If you plan on using the even-faster skip-the-tutorial technique, Nox seems to be pretty much the only way to go. On the other hand, Nox (just going by what has been said in this thread) is somewhat less stable than MEmu, so if you keep getting crashes, try MEmu.

Sora_N

Nox player was recommended by FeeltheKick and I do too

I made my first 11-roll on my Seven account. Got 4* SAO Asuna. I guess that's a pretty solid upgrade to using Nightie Asuna for close combat. Suppose I'll start saving diamonds for a good event, now.

If you plan on using the even-faster skip-the-tutorial technique, Nox seems to be pretty much the only way to go. On the other hand, Nox (just going by what has been said in this thread) is somewhat less stable than MEmu, so if you keep getting crashes, try MEmu.

Sorry, new to this. What's the feature that lets me skip the intro though? Thanks for the info. :)

W-00

Sorry, new to this. What's the feature that lets me skip the intro though? Thanks for the info. :)

This:

For those who are still rerolling, there's apparently a way to skip the tutorial. Found it on the reddit discord channel.

blvPAhH.png

May RNGesus be with y'all.

Like I said, it doesn't seem to work on MEmu (which I use), so I can't vouch for it personally, but others in the thread have had success with it.

Articalys

First 11-roll gave me two 3* and the rest garbage.

So far this game gets 9/10 on presentation, 6/10 on gameplay/controls, and 3/10 on balancing. Apparently having a non-promo 4* is absolutely crucial to being able to do anything, it seems.

chrono01

Just a warning:

I saw on Reddit that some people are having their accounts banned for doing the "skip tutorial" re-roll method. Others on the Memory Defrag Discord server have experienced the same thing. Apparently, it's really easy for Bandai Namco to see who has/hasn't completed the tutorial, and since it's a forced thing, if they find out you haven't they immediately ban you for using outside "hacks". As of now, simply deleting the "memories" and "shared_prefs" folder to re-roll seem to be safe, since the game proceeds as normally going through the tutorial and all of that. The only thing it doesn't do is download all of the extra data each time, which saves people a lot of time.

So yeah, I'd advise against skipping the tutorial and doing the standard re-roll procedure. Not worth the risk.

chrono01

Well, I'm playing on my iPhone now, and I e hit a progression wall, never got anything in my rolls, got tired doing it
Welp, sorry for your bad luck. :(

You can always try to standard re-roll procedure, not the one where you skip the tutorial. It takes a bit longer, but from what I read it's less buggy than the other method. Errors still occur on occasion, at least it did for me on Nox (mostly crashing to the desktop after entering the name). Trying it a few times after that usually got me through.

I don't blame you for not re-rolling, though. It is a tiring experience.

Edit: Never mind, it sounds like you already tried the standard way until you got tired of it, hence wanting the method to skip the tutorial. :/

Flambe

Woo finally got my lvl 50 key to unlock Silica's heal, what a difference that makes.

Decided to plug along with my 3* gatcha dagger for now and hoard memories for pulls down the road, though it's tempting to pull for a decent secondary character

Quonny

Just a warning:

I saw on Reddit that some people are having their accounts banned for doing the "skip tutorial" re-roll method. Others on the Memory Defrag Discord server have experienced the same thing. Apparently, it's really easy for Bandai Namco to see who has/hasn't completed the tutorial, and since it's a forced thing, if they find out you haven't they immediately ban you for using outside "hacks". As of now, simply deleting the "memories" and "shared_prefs" folder to re-roll seem to be safe, since the game proceeds as normally going through the tutorial and all of that. The only thing it doesn't do is download all of the extra data each time, which saves people a lot of time.

So yeah, I'd advise against skipping the tutorial and doing the standard re-roll procedure. Not worth the risk.

I was rerolling using this method because Silica is beyond broken and there is quite literally no reason to play if you don't have her or Yuuka.

Did more research. Apparently if you use this method once they ban your IP after a few days. Even if you're across devices and on a legit account on another device.

I'm done. Fuck off, Bandai. What a crock of shit.

Top Bottom