• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Totakeke

I wish I could recruit a Crystal Dragon, the skills they have are so awesome.

Also, recruits come with more skills and magic spells if their classes are already leveled up. That include story character recruits. :)

Edit: I think it's only magic spells, my mistake.

I just blitzkrieged the Palace of the Dead. The last battle is tough for a reason
got to save warren from your clones and the boss. Harder then saving Arycelle.

oracrest

I'm trying to save the girl in the beginning of chapter 2, but have failed a good 6 times. my guys just can't get to her fast enough before she goes down.

I am trying to get the wade command hooked up on a few of my guys, and see if that helps.

Jerk

Banned
oracrest said:
I'm trying to save the girl in the beginning of chapter 2, but have failed a good 6 times. my guys just can't get to her fast enough before she goes down.

I am trying to get the wade command hooked up on a few of my guys, and see if that helps.

Send your hawkmen deep into the field to take some of the attention away from her.

creid

So the game keeps mentioning the Liberation Front, but I don't remember if I'm supposed to know much about them. Are they basically the Bakram version of the resistance?

Yaweee

creid said:
So the game keeps mentioning the Liberation Front, but I don't remember if I'm supposed to know much about them. Are they basically the Bakram version of the resistance?

That is Cistina's group. Yes. Kind of.

I spoke too soon about story battles not being difficult. The last (?) battle of 3L is really damn cool, and accentuates how improved this game is over the original. The in-battle dialogue is great, and demonstrates how drastic Denam's personality changes due to the alignment decisions, something that I don't think was really presented well in the earlier version.

duckroll

Yaweee said:
I spoke too soon about story battles not being difficult. The last (?) battle of 3L is really damn cool, and accentuates how improved this game is over the original. The in-battle dialogue is great, and demonstrates how drastic Denam's personality changes due to the alignment decisions, something that I don't think was really presented well in the earlier version.

I'm doing Law too, and I'm in the first part of Chapter 3 now. I definitely feel that duckroll is a really terrible person right now, who values results and objectives over common decency or morals. Some of the crap that comes out of his mouth in story scenes and battle scenes make me pretty uncomfortable with what I have become...

But I will fear no reproach! Lulz. :(

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
CHARIOT is for smelly babies.

<--------Smelly Baby.

Funny enough, I would still love the game without it, but I cannot resist my free pass to make the RNG my bitch (especially after all those times it had me bend over in FE).

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm doing Law too, and I'm in the first part of Chapter 3 now. I definitely feel that duckroll is a really terrible person right now, who values results and objectives over common decency or morals. Some of the crap that comes out of his mouth in story scenes and battle scenes make me pretty uncomfortable with what I have become...

duckroll-Denam sounds like an asshole. Funny enough, Jerk-Denam is a pretty nice dude.

For now.

careful

How do the after battle spoils work?
If I quickly kill the target, do I get equal spoils as killing all the enemies one by one and collecting their loot individually?

duckroll

I used CHARIOT a lot in the first two chapters, because I was curious as to whether it would break the game entirely. Interestingly enough, I found that it is a pretty interesting system. It allowed me to freely experiment with certain skills and percentages such that I gain a much better understanding of how certain mechanics actually work. As a result, the more I used CHARIOT, the less I felt I had to use it because using CHARIOT extensively in one battle is enough to experiment and learn about the cause and effect of various actions, such that in subsequent battles I can rely on myself alone to make much more educated decisions in combat which results in more satisfaction when I beat the battle really successfully without the use of the system.

Does it make the game easier if you use it? Absolutely. Does it break the game? No. Also, when you accidentally make a terrible decision in battle (like selecting end turn without doing anything, or attacking the wrong target by accident), it also gives the player the option to correct that mistake if he is willing to accept that it would mean another victory which doesn't count towards Battles Won Without CHARIOT.

Pretty cool.

careful said:
How do the after battle spoils work?
If I quickly kill the target, do I get equal spoils as killing all the enemies one by one and collecting their loot individually?

The only spoils you get after battle are whatever remained on the ground when the battle ended. If you only kill the leader, you will have the loot the leader drops, and nothing else. The game definitely rewards players who wipe the entire army instead of just killing the leader, but I find that in general the rewards you get in loot are not worth the extra trouble and time taken to go out of your way to kill targets you don't have to.

7Th

duckroll said:

The sexy-looking girls,
Ravness and Ozma
, only join you in Law, though. WHY?! ;_;

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yaweee said:

The last fight of 3C was the first time Canopus ever fell to critical HP for me. I'm pretty sure it was even the first time I ever healed him. Unprecedented.

So now it's on to Chapter 4. Mighty nice that Denam finally saw sense and
ditched his lame-o neon green peasant duds for some right proper hero armor.

duckroll

7Th said:
The sexy-looking girls,
Ravness and Ozma

Because when you follow your heart, that in itself is enough reward. For those who value prestige more than morality, the game has to offer worldly pleasures to make the player feel better. Lol.

Jerk

Banned
duckroll said:
I used CHARIOT a lot in the first two chapters, because I was curious as to whether it would break the game entirely. Interestingly enough, I found that it is a pretty interesting system. It allowed me to freely experiment with certain skills and percentages such that I gain a much better understanding of how certain mechanics actually work. As a result, the more I used CHARIOT, the less I felt I had to use it because using CHARIOT extensively in one battle is enough to experiment and learn about the cause and effect of various actions, such that in subsequent battles I can rely on myself alone to make much more educated decisions in combat which results in more satisfaction when I beat the battle really successfully without the use of the system.

Does it make the game easier if you use it? Absolutely. Does it break the game? No. Also, when you accidentally make a terrible decision in battle (like selecting end turn without doing anything, or attacking the wrong target by accident), it also gives the player the option to correct that mistake if he is willing to accept that it would mean another victory which doesn't count towards Battles Won Without CHARIOT.

Pretty cool.

Pretty much.

While it makes the game much easier, the system does a very good job not dumbing down the game, and is ridiculously balanced for what it is.

The only spoils you get after battle are whatever remained on the ground when the battle ended. If you only kill the leader, you will have the loot the leader drops, and nothing else. The game definitely rewards players who wipe the entire army instead of just killing the leader, but I find that in general the rewards you get in loot are not worth the extra trouble and time taken to go out of your way to kill targets you don't have to.

Of course by the time you reach the latter chapters, killing the leader asap becomes imperative.

duckroll said:
Because when you follow your heart, that in itself is enough reward. For those who value prestige more than morality, the game has to offer worldly pleasures to make the player feel better. Lol.

Crazy suicidal archer bitch is much hotter than either of those.

7Th said:
The sexy-looking girls,
Ravness and Ozma

Girls love dem bad boys.
LbCul.png

careful

I looove Chariot. I've definitely been more liberal with experimenting stuff knowing that it's there. I play a lot more relaxed knowing I won't get frustrated with stupid decisions.

I'm also in the beginning of chapter 3 now and despite the few minor annoyances, I'm absolutely loving this game. Couple of my buddies might bug me to get on Killzone for the 24h MP bonus thing... I just want to play TO! :(

And yeah, I had changed my Denam from Warrior to Ninja in Ch. 2, but now I'm strongly considering changing him to a Berseker. Ninja seems great against normal human enemies, but a bit weak against strong armor or monster enemies.
I had to change him to Berseker for the 1-on-1 at the end of Ch2, because Ninja Ramza was getting his ass owned hard.

duckroll

careful said:
And yeah, I had changed my Denam from Warrior to Ninja in Ch. 2, but now I'm strongly considering changing him to a Berseker. Ninja seems great against normal human enemies, but a bit weak against strong armor or monster enemies.
I had to change him to Berseker for the 1-on-1 at the end of Ch2, because Ninja Ramza was getting his ass owned hard.

My duckroll is a Knight. That battle was pretty fun.
I moved around chipping away at him while healing Vyce. He kept targeting Vyce instead of me, so he was getting hit by me, Vyce, and Arycelle while Vyce was getting healed every other turn. Eventually I had my TP charged enough, and I waited until his Phalanx wasn't active and gave him a taste of Rending Gale in his face as the final move. :D

Yaweee

duckroll said:

Pretty cool.

I agree. It essentially just reduces the penalty for "dying", which arguably reduces the difficulty. It's fun to play around with, reducing the frustration from mistakes without removing any of the real strategic depth of the game.

ixix

It kinda sounds like they focused most of their efforts in the remake on the Law route. The Chaos route has been pretty much exactly the same as I remember it, just with a few more in-battle conversations.

Law's got actual new characters and sidequests and whatnot. And they let you recruit Arycelle on it, which is just straight-up bananatown. She was three quarters of the reason I chose Chaos to begin with.

Doing the right thing really bit me on the ass.

Jerk

Banned
ixix said:
It kinda sounds like they focused most of their efforts in the remake on the Law route. The Chaos route has been pretty much exactly the same as I remember it, just with a few more in-battle conversations.

Law's got actual new characters and sidequests and whatnot. And they let you recruit Arycelle on it, which is just straight-up bananatown. She was three quarters of the reason I chose Chaos to begin with.

Indeed.

Thank god for WORLD though.

Law was always the more interesting path with the better characters, and they really made it even more so in the remake. Arycelle was the best chaos exclusive character and now everyone gets her.

Shouta

ixix said:

The Law Route is considered the canon route by a lot of folks I believe which would explain why it got a lot more goodies compared to the Chaos route.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
duckroll said:

Chaos 4 Life, Bay-be.

I'm only approaching the end of Chapter 2 now. I've been grinding a bit to have my new classes up to bar. One of every class, and two archers. Deman is a Ninja, and most of my units have over 1000 Skill Points to assign. I've just been sitting on them. Haha.

careful

duckroll said:
My duckroll is a Knight. That battle was pretty fun.
I moved around chipping away at him while healing Vyce. He kept targeting Vyce instead of me, so he was getting hit by me, Vyce, and Arycelle while Vyce was getting healed every other turn. Eventually I had my TP charged enough, and I waited until his Phalanx wasn't active and gave him a taste of Rending Gale in his face as the final move. :D
I went Chaos..
So I had to fight Vyce 1-on-1. Berseker Ramza served his ass good.

All this talk of dat ass on Law route makes me a bit envious. Thank god for WORLD.

ixix

Shouta said:
The Law Route is considered the canon route by a lot of folks I believe which would explain why it got a lot more goodies compared to the Chaos route.

It's the most interesting route in a lot of ways what with Chaos sort of being the "If this were a regular RPG this would be the only plot you could play" route and Neutral being the "I have certain principles that I am willing to stand up for but only if it doesn't inconvenience me too much" route, but there was still plenty they could do to fix up Chaos.

They touch a few times on the route on the idea of Denam's moralizing being sophistry, and that in reality his haring off on his own in opposition to everybody else is just causing more suffering to no good end, and I thought that was pretty fertile ground to expand upon than just leaving it as being sort of "RPG Standard Plot Number 4". And in fairness it does seem to hammer on that a few times with Cressida and her family and the villagers Denam talks to after one of the fights with Xaebos, but I don't know how much of that is really new new and how much of that is down to a much improved translation.

I just think that quite a bit of good could have come from making Chaos a little less straightforward as opposed to adding things to Law, which was already the strongest route narratively.

ethelred

7Th said:
She joins you in every single path. Only in Law you get to have all the hot girls in your party.

Cistina, Cerya, Cressida, and Oelias are all chaos/neutral characters, though, so that isn't true.

ixix said:

Chaos route is definitely not just exactly the same. Cressida's sidequest tree is fairly extensive and adds a lot more context and detail to Nybeth and some of Galgastan's actions (plus, it offers a fantastic new sequence with
Vyse
. The branch also has new scenes with Oelias, which is cool since she wasn't shown in chaos previously. Plus, the one new scene with Ravness at the beginning of Chapter 2C is pretty nice.

There's also a lot more in battle dialogue, all of which has been excellent. The scenes between Leonar and Denim are fantastic; the dialogue between Leonar and Presance and Arycelle is also great.

I feel it's pretty substantial. Having picked chaos for my first playthrough, I'm not at all disappointed in how extensive the story changes and additions are. I guess it's true that Law got a bit more -- 2 new characters and getting to keep Arycelle (which I find totally weird) vs. 1 new character -- but Chaos wasn't left out.

Basileus777 said:
Law was always the more interesting path with the better characters, and they really made it even more so in the remake. Arycelle was the best chaos exclusive character and now everyone gets her.

Not really true that law has better characters overall. Law has a lot of physically oriented special characters (
Xapan, Vyse, Jeneunes, Ravness, Ozma
) whereas Chaos has a lot of great magic oriented characters (
Bayin, Cistina, Cerya, Cressida; Folcurt is an excellent fighter, though
).

ethelred said:
Not really true that law has better characters overall. Law has a lot of physically oriented special characters (
Xapan, Vyse, Jeneunes, Ravness, Ozma
) whereas Chaos has a lot of great magic oriented characters (
Bayin, Cistina, Cerya, Cressida; Folcurt is an excellent fighter, though
).

Magic oriented characters that still have little purpose when Law still gets
Olivya, Sherri, Deneb, Catiua, etc.
Biyan is the best of that lot and he can't even become a Lich now.
Besides, the
Ranger and Temple Commando classes
are are clearly better than anything exclusive to any other route.

ixix

ethelred said:
Chaos route is definitely not just exactly the same. Cressida's sidequest tree is fairly extensive and adds a lot more context and detail to Nybeth and some of Galgastan's actions (plus, it offers a fantastic new sequence with
Vyse
. The branch also has new scenes with Oelias, which is cool since she wasn't shown in chaos previously. Plus, the one new scene with Ravness at the beginning of Chapter 2C is pretty nice.

There's also a lot more in battle dialogue, all of which has been excellent. The scenes between Leonar and Denim are fantastic; the dialogue between Leonar and Presance and Arycelle is also great.

I feel it's pretty substantial. Having picked chaos for my first playthrough, I'm not at all disappointed in how extensive the story changes and additions are. I guess it's true that Law got a bit more -- 2 new characters and getting to keep Arycelle (which I find totally weird) vs. 1 new character -- but Chaos wasn't left out.

Ah, I just got to Chapter 4 so I haven't seen any of the Cressida sidequest stuff. The scene at Vahanna with her and her almost-brother-in-law was really strong, and I was wishing there were more scenes like that. And it sounds like I'll get my wish, which is just ducky.

It's been quite a while since I last played Chaos, so I'm a little vague on some of the details. I was pretty certain that a lot of the in-battle dialogue was new, but I wasn't entirely certain it hadn't just been given a stilted translation that didn't really stick with me over the years. And I went with the duel option for Leonar, so I missed out on the stuff between him and anyone other than Denam. Guess that's what World's for.

Deep down, though, I'm a bit jealous that Law gets Ravness and
Ozma
on top of still having
Vyce
and on top of that getting Arycelle I mean oh my god. Two sisters, Folcurt, and Bayin just ain't a big enough bandage to cover that wound.

duckroll said:
Okay, I have now DOCUMENTED the first major localization fuck up in this game. :(

Yeah, Yaweee and I noticed it before. Just make sure you pick the 2nd choice.

ixix said:
Deep down, though, I'm a bit jealous that Law gets Ravness and
Ozma
on top of still having
Vyce
and on top of that getting Arycelle I mean oh my god. Two sisters, Folcurt, and Bayin just ain't a big enough bandage to cover that wound.

Wait until you see
how ridiculously broken Ozma is. She has the lowest RT in the game, and gets access to a truly crazy amount of support and action skills.

duckroll

Basileus777 said:
Yeah, Yaweee and I noticed it before. Just make sure you pick the 2nd choice.

Yeah, but I felt the need to document it, with an actual screenshot. I'm really sad that my first use of the screenshot feature in the game is to show an error. :(

I'm really curious as to how the error slipped in though. The first choice is clearly supposed to be "Of course they are" so how did it turn into "they're not"? I'm trying to figure out what sort of sentence structure they were going for which resulted in this error. :/

TheChaos

Looks like they didn't make Neutral any better, though.

It was the worst path in the original and they apparently didn't want to make it any less shitty. You get literally NO special characters that you can't get in the Chaos path, whee.

Folcurt sucks. I made him a main member of my party after I got him and he is still a weakling. The only thing he got going for him is his gold armor, but that is also a death wish.

Totakeke

TheChaos said:

It was the worst path in the original and they apparently didn't want to make it any less shitty. You get literally NO special characters that you can't get in the Chaos path, whee.

You do get a cleric and a terror knight in ch.3, no?

TheChaos said:

Only neutral gets
Orias and Debordes
, or whatever they're called in this translation. You
get to keep Arycelle now too.

But what always pissed me off about neutral path is
how Leonar dies. He should be recruitable in neutral.

ixix

TheChaos said:

Pretty sure there are two Neutral-only characters. Or at least there were in the original. One Priest (who I guess is a Cleric now) and one Terror Knight.

ixix

TheChaos said:
I think so, but they're generic units. It's not like you have an absence of those anyways.

Well, most special characters have a generic class. Specials with a unique class are really pretty rare, all told.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, came face to face with the man who killed my father. Told my sister to tell him to prepare to die hold her tongue, we were there on business and killing/assaulting him probably wouldn't be a good idea when we're under the employ of our country... AKA: spark an "international incident."

Not sure if that's put me on the law route, but so far I've been trying to avoid conflict and unnecessary bloodshed if it means less battles/a chance for my country to have peace. Don't like letting the man who killed our village live, even if he apologized and said it was a mistake.

TheChaos

ixix said:
Well, most special characters have a generic class. Specials with a unique class are really pretty rare, all told.

Really? You get like a dozen.

edit: Going Neutral means you won't have access to post-game characters, i.e.
Warren and Lanselot
The game reaaaaally doesn't want you to pick that route.

ixix said:

Well, not that rare...
Vyse, Azelstan, Ozma, the White Knights, the Shamans, Catiua has 3 unique classes, Lord Denam, Deneb, Warren, Lans, Iuria

It's just that none of them are exclusive to chaos or neutral.

Top Bottom