• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Man the DLC enrages me. I mean come on man. Do a season pass or something. 20 bucks a week is just straight gouging me. I bought your mega bundle and the first set of costumes. That's over thirty bucks. Cut me some slack on the rest Bamco. You want positive word of mouth. Having DLC cost more than the game is scum level rubbish.

Lnds500

Just finished the main story. The design of the final boss and
Innominat
was great.

Man, that ending :'(

EDIT: WTF??? Watching the credits... "motion capture actors"?? What did they use them for?

Squire

Banned
Probably combat stuff.

Soul Calibur (which is also a Namco property, coincidentally) has been using mocap for the various fighting styles for forever.

Taruranto

I'm starting to get better at Eizen, after I modified his art tree. For a character heavily reliant on stunning foes he has so few stunning moves for now.

EDIT: WTF??? Watching the credits... "motion capture actors"?? What did they use them for?

Combat? Kicks, punches, sword swings, all that stuff is mo-cap nowadays. They use the mocap output as inputs to their animation rigs to define the characters' movesets.

I guess I don't understand the "delayed" release on the costume DLC. It seems counter intuitive to sales.

If 40 dollars in costume DLC was available from day one I probably would have bought all of it. But now that it's week 3 and I'm 48 hours into the game I'm not going to buy a costume DLC that I will probably only use for the last....1/4 of the game if I'm lucky.

Why the hell not just release all of it, you can't tell me it sells better this way....

Yeah, I'm sorta this way.

Ignoring that I'll never spend a fucking cent on cosmetics, it just further pushes me away when I'm 50 hours into a game, 10 hours from the end, will likely never play it again and you release all the costume DLC a week after I finish it.

Datschge

Is this your first Tales game? Mocap is used for all animations except the basic looping ones. If you want to see hand animated Tales games to compare to take a look at Vesperia, Abyss and Symphonia.

I know that enemies are going to typically out level you a bit on hard mode, but what would you think the typical difference in level should be? I feel like I might be a bit underleveled if the enemies are 10 levels higher...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Bladenic

I'm starting to get better at Eizen, after I modified his art tree. For a character heavily reliant on stunning foes he has so few stunning moves for now.

Just from my experience, he's worse at stunning than Velvet, Eleanor, and Rokurou despite arguably needing to stun the most.

Honestly the only interesting lore discussion about Zestiria I ever saw was by one person on gamefaqs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/167071-tales-of-berseria/73053471 (spoilers for both Berseria and Zestiria obviously, even if much didn't pan out as described.)

There was another bit of lore discussion I remember reading about on Tumblr (can't remember where specifically) were someone theorized that the other 4 lords in Zestiria were those seemingly random boss fights spread throughout the final dungeon. Wish I could remember the link, it was pretty well thought out.

Lnds500

Bienfu's JP voice actor is amazing. I was laughing out loud with his delivery throughout the game and I don't even speak japanese.

Is this your first Tales game? Mocap is used for all animations except the basic looping ones. If you want to see hand animated Tales games to compare to take a look at Vesperia, Abyss and Symphonia.

First one to complete, yes. Dunno, when I read mocap I imagine something very nuanced and intricate, like Uncharted, not Tales games.

Taruranto

Just from my experience, he's worse at stunning than Velvet, Eleanor, and Rokurou despite arguably needing to stun the most.

I really wanted to try Eleanor since I liked her combat style in the demo and she seems to have good AOE reach (I keep missing stuff with Eizen and Rokuro), but I hate using characters who join later, it basically means learning all the moves all over again. :X

The only time I think I ever did that was Flynn in Vesperia because he was pretty straightforward to play. (It also helps that I find that kind of battle system much easier to understand)

On unrelated noted, Laphicet's character model is kinda awful, at least the face.

Datschge

There was another bit of lore discussion I remember reading about on Tumblr (can't remember where specifically) were someone theorized that the other 4 lords in Zestiria were those seemingly random boss fights spread throughout the final dungeon. Wish I could remember the link, it was pretty well thought out.
Can't recall reading that, but it was probably sparked by Jena's translations of the world guidance book that's also referred to in the previous link. All her translations are definitely worth a read. (Berseria/Zestiria lore spoilers yadda yadda!)

straylize

I'm pretty sure I know who made that theory, and that person tends to come up with really off-the-wall theories that don't actually line up at all. Including arguing that they were right about something when being corrected with accurate translations.

It's a cool theory, but doesn't actually have any canonical weight to it as far as I've ever seen.

Can't recall reading that, but it was probably sparked by Jena's translations of the world guidance book that's also referred to in the previous link. All her translations are definitely worth a read. (Berseria/Zestiria lore spoilers yadda yadda!)

Definitely the person to go to for Berseria/Zestiria lore, her translations are excellent and accurate. I think anyone interested in the lore should check out her stuff since it comes right out the official materials.

Ralemont

not me
Couldn't figure out why the combat felt so clunky and bad, then realized I had Velvet on manual instead of semi-auto for the first ten hours. Whoops!

Manatox

Couldn't figure out why the combat felt so clunky and bad, then realized I had Velvet on manual instead of semi-auto for the first ten hours. Whoops!

Hmm weird, i found semi-auto clunky and refusing to do as i wanted and switched to manual like half a hour in. I still think manual is better for me.

R0ckman

I know that enemies are going to typically out level you a bit on hard mode, but what would you think the typical difference in level should be? I feel like I might be a bit underleveled if the enemies are 10 levels higher...

Fought a 95 level monster at level 60 and he was still easy.

SephLuis

A question about one of the red code hunts. There's a enemy that is a tree but I cannot advance in the area he's in. A red fog is blocking my passage and the other way has to be a jump with the geoboard (which I can't access in that area).

How do I deal with that red fog ?

R0ckman

A question about one of the red code hunts. There's a enemy that is a tree but I cannot advance in the area he's in. A red fog is blocking my passage and the other way has to be a jump with the geoboard (which I can't access in that area).

How do I deal with that red fog ?

Eat the red fruit towards the left area.

Its really odd that its not explained through a scene like in older game such as Symphonia.

Wagram

There are so many localization errors in this script.

"That's what she projects."

That's a cheap project. <--- WTF?

jonjonaug

Finished Berseria, some thoughts...

Story is top or near top tier, one of the best JRPG stories since 2010's Xenoblade and Nier. Every party member offers a unique perspective and has interesting motivations and good designs. Character interaction is very well written. The sidequests that open up toward the end of the game are mostly all pretty cool and offer new perspectives on all of the characters. There's quite a bit of NPC dialogue that changes up as you progress, giving you a decent reason to keep going back to previous locations. A lot of it helps drive home the effect the party is having on the world around them. The general populace's terror of you only increases throughout the game, and the rumors about the "Lord of Calamity" get so absurd as to be hilarious. One of my favorite details in the game.

Outside of the story though, the quality of everything else varies from "barely acceptable" to "pretty good at best". The music is mostly just sorta there. Outside of the character themes (which are good) there aren't really any memorable tracks. The dungeon design and area design in general is just really generic, only a couple of areas have anything interesting going on. The core gameplay design is alright. Not great (you mostly just button mash), but alright.

Still, in the end the story and characters were so good that I could put up with everything else being pretty mediocre. Berseria might not be on the level of Nier or Xenoblade, but I had way more of a good time going through it then I did going through Final Fantasy XV.

There are so many localization errors in this script.

"That's what she projects."

That's a cheap project. <--- WTF?

Some sidequests late in the game got the brunt of this where every other line (not even exaggerating) is some miraculous mangling of English.

"Not your sounds out. If there is one thing I can connect with...is wanting revenge"
"One of you can squeeze out a private too"
"Willing and mashing of teeth"
"Sometimes, depth can be the release someone desperately needs."
"A little goose I'll even by my standards"

Wagram

"Not your sounds out. If there is one thing I can connect with...is wanting revenge"
"One of you can squeeze out a private too"
"Willing and mashing of teeth"
"Sometimes, depth can be the release someone desperately needs."
"A little goose I'll even by my standards"

Yeah. I've noticed over two dozen errors or so in my last 5 hours of playing towards the end.

Holy shit, is this final dungeon as long as the map makes it seem? Granted I'm only in the first section but I also have a bad habit of fighting pretty much every enemy in dungeons in this game lol...

kromeo

I'm usually this guy too, but on repeat playthroughs I find other characters a fun challenge/change of pace. Especially the ones that are really different, like Judith's reliance on air combos in Vesperia.

There's the occasional Tales, like Destiny R or Graces, where the battle system is so fun that I have to try everyone. Berseria is like halfway there with Rokurou and Eleanor.

Guy was really fun in Abyss because he was a lot like Lloyd from Symphonia.

Symphonia I mostly used Lloyd because everyone else sucks but every game since I cycle between all characters. Zestiria in particular has so few artes, really can't imagine playing the whole game with Sorey.,..

EDIT: This all inexplicably appeared after my third attempt at a reinstall. Going to leave the original post here anyway.

So I'm a wuss and bought a few boosters. However, they will not install. From the item's PSN page on the console it says "purchased" without the button for installing. It will not download remotely from PSN on my PC; it just hangs the browser when I click it. It does not appear in my download list. The misc boosters do not appear on the dlc tag from the main menu but catalogues do. Not messing with regions or anything.

Catalogues 1-3 showed up on the store list from the main menu and I was able to directly download them on their item pages by hitting download as usual. Here's what my download list looks like, as well as the add-ons listed from the PS Store. No, it is not installed. Note the lack of a download icon.
g064uqt.png
Help? I've never had any trouble like this with anything before. No google results that matched my issue were of any help. I've un/reinstalled, tried to download while uninstalled, restored licenses, etc, all the usual stuff. This isn't the sort of thing I want to waste my or customer support's time on.

Lnds500

How do I get back on
Titania
after I beat the game? It's greyed out.

EDIT: lol, just found it by accident. you have to progress on
Eizen's
personal quest

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
EDIT: This all inexplicably appeared after my third attempt at a reinstall. Going to leave the original post here anyway.

So I'm a wuss and bought a few boosters. However, they will not install. From the item's PSN page on the console it says "purchased" without the button for installing. It will not download remotely from PSN on my PC; it just hangs the browser when I click it. It does not appear in my download list. The misc boosters do not appear on the dlc tag from the main menu but catalogues do. Not messing with regions or anything.

Catalogues 1-3 showed up on the store list from the main menu and I was able to directly download them on their item pages by hitting download as usual. Here's what my download list looks like, as well as the add-ons listed from the PS Store. No, it is not installed. Note the lack of a download icon.

Help? I've never had any trouble like this with anything before. No google results that matched my issue were of any help. I've un/reinstalled, tried to download while uninstalled, restored licenses, etc, all the usual stuff. This isn't the sort of thing I want to waste my or customer support's time on.

Don't worry about it, once you go in the game and check the DLC column in your inventory, you'll see the names there.

I had the same issue, the 2x EXP does not show up in the PS4 Download queue like updates or other DLC do but when I checked the game, it was in my inventory waiting to be claimed.

TheFatMan

Don't worry about it, once you go in the game and check the DLC column in your inventory, you'll see the names there.

I had the same issue, the 2x EXP does not show up in the PS4 Download queue like updates or other DLC do but when I checked the game, it was in my inventory waiting to be claimed.

The game and the DLC items do a terrible job of explaining that you need to use them from the inventory screen. If previous games hadn't had the exact same setup I would have never known myself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I literally laughed out loud at the eizen double headed coin skit. Shit killed me
I loved this skit so much.

Is there a skit theater in this game?

Avallon

The catalogs are the only thing that install. Restart the game and the items will be in your inventory tab under DLC. That's what it's supposed to look like.

Taruranto

I think my problem with this game so far is that every time I can't stop thinking how X Tales does Y better. Like the battle system is not even that bad, but I can't stop thinking that I wish they just re-used Graces battle system instead.

Anyway, I realized Eizen can activate his R2 move by just knocking down enemies, I've been Dragon Diving ever since. Also I realized discoveries aren't in this game. Meh.

What's a good way to farm Odorless Fluid?

Also, can you ever upgrade your gear past +6 or is that the maximum?

Two more questions too.

1) When your'e doing a combo sometimes you see a damage multiplier. What causes that to appear / go up?

2) When you look at your artes menu, each item under the weakness type (such as Crustacean), will have another arte listed. Like some Arte will say "> Slag Assault" or something. What does this mean?

jonjonaug

What's a good way to farm Odorless Fluid?

Also, can you ever upgrade your gear past +6 or is that the maximum?

Two more questions too.

1) When your'e doing a combo sometimes you see a damage multiplier. What causes that to appear / go up?

2) When you look at your artes menu, each item under the weakness type (such as Crustacean), will have another arte listed. Like some Arte will say "> Slag Assault" or something. What does this mean?

You get +9 and +10 later on.

Ydelnae

Someone talks about some strange material that hasn't been found for years.

The party accidentally comes across the material in their next trip.

Someone says that a certain monster won't appear until it rains, which doesn't happen frequently.

It starts rainning during the next cutscene lol

jrcbandit

It's called derivative artes. Instead of pressing a button, just hold down the button and it will automatically do the derivative arte. If you figure out the right combo, you can just hold down a button to do a complete chain.

Anyway, while Velvet's default costume is very memorable it is also very ugly. I am doing a Laphicet Harem party with the Idolmaster DLC because I needed her to have a new outfit ;p. Not sure if I am going to keep Eleanor in my party, though. She has like 0 skills and it was already a pain getting Magilou up to snuff since they all join the party so late. Plus, I need my man Eizen in the party...

Bladenic

Road to Platinum: Velvet and Rokurou have all titles at level 2. Working on Eizen now, got about 1000 enemies to kill. Eleanor, Laphicet, and Magilou are in worse shape though.

Got about 9 mil gald left and 90k Tales coins.

Squire

Banned
I really can't get a feel for Eleanor. Her spear moves don't flow into each other as smoothly as Velvet's kicks and I guess I have weave in magic artes on top of that, too?

Top Bottom