• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyway the debt mecanic is such a bold way to prevent you from exploring the scene is so akward, i'm sure that's the only reason they impemented this mecanic.
They implemented it because "padding".

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Orb system or the new SP gain system either. It isn't as auto as the Lillial Orb, though, I'll give it that. Errr... don't get carried away and think I don't like the game or something. I'm having fun.

Aeana

The new orb system is a weird medium between the old lillial orb system and the Tales of Graces title system. It is an interesting idea on paper, but it doesn't really work that well in practice, because they only list a certain number of abilities at a time (which is confusing if you sort the list and notice abilities seem to appear out of nowhere!). That said, I prefer it to the lillial orb system because it doesn't feel nearly as constrained.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
They implemented it because "padding".

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Orb system or the new SP gain system either. It isn't as auto as the Lillial Orb, though, I'll give it that. Errr... don't get carried away and think I don't like the game or something. I'm having fun.

The system is.... "streamlined" a bit.

The new orb system is a weird medium between the old lillial orb system and the Tales of Graces title system. It is an interesting idea on paper, but it doesn't really work that well in practice, because they only list a certain number of abilities at a time (which is confusing if you sort the list and notice abilities seem to appear out of nowhere!). That said, I prefer it to the lillial orb system because it doesn't feel nearly as constrained.

I thought it was more of Tales of the Abyss and Graces imo.

Jubern

I see what you mean, buy not really, as you didn't really learnt ability from Capacity Cores, "just" stats, which in turn gave you skills.

I had kind of forgotten about that but what a terrible, terrible system that was. I hated how it was linked to actual leveling and thus how easy it was to completely mess up your characters growth...

Aeana

The cat subquest is really dumb. It's really poorly designed, too, since there isn't really much of an incentive to do it when you're starting out. I'm so behind on it and I just don't care. Namco would have to pay me to explore these Xillia 1 maps fully again just to find them.

kiryogi

Banned
xillia 2 + amiami bonus get!

xillia2.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have honestly forgotten to do the cat sidequest! D:

That's what bugs me about it. I like that you can just swap whatever orbs to get new skills, though. And farming E. Cores isn't that problematic because battling's pretty fun anyway. But man I wish you could see everything that's coming up next.

I like the SP bonus gain system in this because it's an interesting spin on battle bonuses and stuff.

Aeana

That's what bugs me about it. I like that you can just swap whatever orbs to get new skills, though. And farming E. Cores isn't that problematic because battling's pretty fun anyway. But man I wish you could see everything that's coming up next.

I like the SP bonus gain system in this because it's an interesting spin on battle bonuses and stuff.

I don't like it, because there's no way I'm going to fight that many of each individual enemy when it's really unnecessary. As I said, they'd have to pay me to explore all of these maps again, so if I'm not exploring them, I'm unlikely to fight very many of each enemy type.

AHAHAHA that boss ...
VOLT
i was easily beating anything on sight and then this boss bring me back to reality by smashing himself on the ground and killing my team ..
And add to the injury that there are more robots coming after a while...

Anyway ..the game is great ..the chemistry between the characters are there .. and "JUST AS EXPECTED" elle + elise is something very intresting .. they can only become best friends as time goes on ...

The screen shot feature is very cool (as always ) but for some reason the game pauses when in fields and in battle , BUT NOT DURING SKITS ....WTF

i was about to forget and while exploring a field i heard a cat sound.. that was a simple reminder

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jude's lab coat is much nicer-looking than the ones I have. :/

Aeana said:
I don't like it, because there's no way I'm going to fight that many of each individual enemy when it's really unnecessary. As I said, they'd have to pay me to explore all of these maps again, so if I'm not exploring them, I'm unlikely to fight very many of each enemy type.
Hah, I forgot about how much you loved the maps. Although I'm alright with this one, I prefer Xillia 1's because at least the growth was consistent.

Netto-kun

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201211/08023934.html

Oh look, more DLC attachments to buy.

- Tomorrow/today: Set of different hair styles, 100 yen
- November 15th: Set with the Four Great Spirits, 100 yen
- November 22th: Set with four Tales cameo hats, 100 yen. Another set with four Tales mascots, also 100 yen

But that puppy Repede is sooo cute. Must resist buying any of the DLCs. >_>

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
That Repede is too cute. I'll probably end up buying that pack just for him -_-

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201211/08023934.html

Oh look, more DLC attachments to buy.

- Tomorrow/today: Set of different hair styles, 100 yen
- November 15th: Set with the Four Great Spirits, 100 yen
- November 22th: Set with four Tales cameo hats, 100 yen. Another set with four Tales mascots, also 100 yen

But that puppy Repede is sooo cute. Must resist buying any of the DLCs. >_>

pfiou i'm in luck since none of those appeal to me so far ...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It isn't surprising that the game recycles a lot of content, but man it recycles a lot of content.

That, padding with the debt management thing, the growth system not showing other further abilities, only being able to party swap in towns, and Ludger's complete silence disappoints me so far. What I said before is true: without the extra stuff like debt repayment, character chapters, farming for E.Cores/SP, etc. the game would be really short.

I hope the EX dungeon in this is better. The EX dungeon in the last game was blah.

Jubern

Just finished Chapter 11, spoilers:

I'M RAGEING SO FUCKING HARD RIGHT NAO.

Probably in the intended way though... You could see it coming for a mile away, but it hit me pretty hard as I really grew attached to her. Poor girl gets her sister killed, her world destroyed, realizes that nobody wants her and ultimately dies like a dog herself to make place, as intended by about everyone.

Yeah, I know it's more complicated and was needed and everything, but the ending scenes of the chapter with Elle were pretty hard to watch. I really like her, smart kid.

... Fuuuuuu T_T

I have to say it was really well done. The story is really good and surprisingly... I don't know, mature maybe? I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not it's the word I'm looking for, since it's most definitely the first one you think of when referring to a Tales game. Maybe I'm just looking for "good"!

oh...my...god...
Nova, Nova, Nova, Nova, NOVA, NOVA, NOVA, NOVA NOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVAAAAAA

SHUT THE HELL UP. AND STOP CALLING ME EVERY 2 SECONDS.

Man, this alone makes me hate the debt system...she even bothers you when you're done paying the limit for the chapter just because you happen to be loaded at that time...I don't know if I'll be able to cope with this much longer -_-

Aeana

oh...my...god...
Nova, Nova, Nova, Nova, NOVA, NOVA, NOVA, NOVA NOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVANOVAAAAAA

SHUT THE HELL UP. AND STOP CALLING ME EVERY 2 SECONDS.

Man, this alone makes me hate the debt system...she even bothers you when you're done paying the limit for the chapter just because you happen to be loaded at that time...I don't know if I'll be able to cope with this much longer -_-

But you get bonuses for making those additional payments, so you should consider doing it!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've figured out what's causing the screenshot function to not appear. If you have someone equipped with a licensed/crossover costume it's not going to come up, apparently. So, I imagine the Madoka costumes, the Star Driver costumes, the Idolm@aster costumes, Geass costumes, etc. are going to disable the option if you have any piece of it equipped.

I tried it out with the Ayu costume that came with the FIVE CD and the screenshot function is disabled when it had worked before.

But you get bonuses for making those additional payments, so you should consider doing it!

Yep, got a skill book but come on, it's annoying to be reminded every two seconds I MUST pay her (cause yeah, I can't even back up without giving at least 1 gald). I will pay her but say you wanted to buy something very costly and you're stranded somewhere far from the shop, she'll be calling you at every action until you don't have the sum required anymore :(
It's not like she'll stop even if you pay her the 10% she wants at the time...no...she's calling back at the next occasion 'cause she wants the next bill in full.

It's really a shame because if it wasn't for this, I would love it right now =(

Yep, got a skill book but come on, it's annoying to be reminded every two seconds I MUST pay her (cause yeah, I can't even back up without giving at least 1 gald). I will pay her but say you wanted to buy something very costly and you're stranded somewhere far from the shop, she'll be calling you at every action until you don't have the sum required anymore :(
It's not like she'll stop even if you pay her the 10% she wants at the time...no...she's calling back at the next occasion 'cause she wants the next bill in full.

can't you just press circle and continue doing what you were doing ?

Mieu

I've figured out what's causing the screenshot function to not appear. If you have someone equipped with a licensed/crossover costume it's not going to come up, apparently. So, I imagine the Madoka costumes, the Star Driver costumes, the Idolm@aster costumes, Geass costumes, etc. are going to disable the option if you have any piece of it equipped.

I tried it out with the Ayu costume that came with the FIVE CD and the screenshot function is disabled when it had worked before.

This is what I thought as well. I had the Star Driver equipped then when I switched to the cameos, it appeared on the photo section.

527467_10151235651094674_1101762564_n.jpg

When do I always have to pay her?

Dyan dyan dyan dyan!!!!!!!!

Arousal Orb, I do not understand! Arghh!

But I'm still enjoying it. It's Milla that I'm missing

Aeana

I understand in theory, but in practice, there is nothing really that costly to buy. I've never regretted paying down Nova until she stops bugging me, and I actually welcome it since it's much easier to pay gradually than to do a large sum later on my own volition. She stops once the amount of money you have is less than the total amount of the current tier's bill.

kayos90

I understand in theory, but in practice, there is nothing really that costly to buy. I've never regretted paying down Nova until she stops bugging me, and I actually welcome it since it's much easier to pay gradually than to do a large sum later on my own volition. She stops once the amount of money you have is less than the total amount of the current tier's bill.

That's the thing that annoys me. What if I want to save up?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mieu said:
This is what I thought as well. I had the Star Driver equipped then when I switched to the cameos, it appeared on the photo section.
Wonder why they did that... maybe they want you to pay to see the costumes so they won't let people take screens! >:D

Eventually you can't. So I ended up giving her 1 gald so I didn't have to give any. Then she keeps calling so I said fuck it and click O every time.
She steals the money I want to use for food.

Ludger's starving, man.

Mieu

Now that you mention it. I remember I have Idolmaster costumes. Let me try them later when I get home. i'll keep you posted.

Any links or whatnot about the growth system? I keep on randomizing stuff on the orbs ihihi

Jubern

That wiki (in Japanese) has a listing of skills for each character and when they learn them. Unless you're bent on learning a certain skill as soon as possible, it's not that important, though. It's not like you can't really miss an ability or anything.

You gain points in a certain elements (depends of which core you equiped) and when you hit a number in that element (plus another, sometimes) you learn the skill. As simple as that.

(Explaining it, I suddenly realize the Abyss affiliation. I am stupid.)

BTW, for those interested you learn the "Special" skill at level

Mieu

Thanks man. I was thinking I need to move the orbs every time they learn everything from one direction.

Tipo ON! Tipo OFF

Do we still have that in the grade shop? the stuff where you do their special stuff 100x?

Jubern

No no, don't worry about that.

The Grade Shop is still here, yeah. But it's like Xillia 1: you only get grade points from titles, themselves obtained from doing various things (they're like mini-trophies). You can't abuse the system or just grind in one spot.

Also, I think there's a 10000 grade limit or something, IIRC. Which is definitely not enough to get everything.

She stops once the amount of money you have is less than the total amount of the current tier's bill.

I saw she stopped bugging me when I have less than twice the amount required. For example in my last chapter increments were equal to 7000 gald, so if I have 13999 she doesn't say anything, but once I get 1 gald more, she'd start her harassment. The more I'd have the longer it'd last.

Of course, every cloud has a silver lining and upon finishing more and more chapters, I guess it's going to become less frequent, as the sum is going to grow bigger and bigger.

Oh well I got to cool down a little so I'll try to take this philosophically from now on.

I'm currently between Chapters 4 and 5, I have a bunch of quests to do before advancing so I'll stay here for a bit. It's really weird those chapters are so short though. I hope they get longer and that there's a lot of Character Chapters.

Oh and got a question for people way further than me : are there really no "real" events/quests like past Tales where you absolutely need to get at some place totally not marked anywhere, at a certain point in time and not sooner nor later, to get it started? If everything starts from those billboards things then it's quite cool to not miss anything without some sort of guide.
Second question too, did someone find a "time-restricted" cat for the sidequest or are they all obtainable at the end of the game if you'd like?

kiryogi

Banned
That wiki (in Japanese) has a listing of skills for each character and when they learn them. Unless you're bent on learning a certain skill as soon as possible, it's not that important, though. It's not like you can't really miss an ability or anything.

You gain points in a certain elements (depends of which core you equiped) and when you hit a number in that element (plus another, sometimes) you learn the skill. As simple as that.

(Explaining it, I suddenly realize the Abyss affiliation. I am stupid.)

BTW, for those interested you learn the "Special" skill at level

Lol yeah, I was totally thinking this is Capacity Core Xillia style.

kiryogi

Banned
On a note I'm on like chapter 3 or 4 now?
Just got Leia
When is the first character episode or did I miss it? Pretty sure I checked everywhere since I had to look for Suzu and Rubirubi cats in the cities >_<

kayos90

I still think it's much closer to Graces's titles system than capacity cores.

Well it's similar to the titles in the sense that it has a list of skills that you can attain if I'm understanding your correctly. It's a combination of Graces and Abyss. Nothing like the Lilial Orb.

Jubern

Oh and got a question for people way further than me : are there really no "real" events/quests like past Tales where you absolutely need to get at some place totally not marked anywhere, at a certain point in time and not sooner nor later, to get it started? If everything starts from those billboards things then it's quite cool to not miss anything without some sort of guide.
Second question too, did someone find a "time-restricted" cat for the sidequest or are they all obtainable at the end of the game if you'd like?

I've been doing EVERYTHING event-related as soon as possible and I'm pretty sure that character episodes are missables. But hen again, with the way they're marked on the world map (HUEG EXCLAMATION POINT!!), you'd have to do it on purpose in order to miss any of them!

Basically, there's no Abyss/Vesperia bullshit. You can see what's available, whether its event-related or not and what triggers it plain as day.

Aeana

Well it's similar to the titles in the sense that it has a list of skills that you can attain if I'm understanding your correctly. It's a combination of Graces and Abyss. Nothing like the Lilial Orb.
It's a pretty logical expansion of the lillial orb, in honesty. It's still laid out the same way, except that instead of each direction being for a particular stat, it's for an element instead. The major difference is that the direction you're going on the orb is determined by the amplifier you have equipped and the points are "spent" automatically. This is pretty clear if you're paying attention to the graphic on the right side of the screen.

However, it's also a unique system and I feel that it's not getting enough credit for that, either. Including from myself early on. The interesting thing about this system is that what determines what you learn is the amount of points in a particular element, and what you equip only determines which elements get points when they're gained and how rapidly. There is a major failure in the interface that is easily noticed if you use the sort option on the screen, which seems to lead some people to believe that the amplifier "has" skills on it, but that is of course not the case at all. If you equip the very first fire amplifier, you can learn every fire skill eventually, it'll just take much longer than with a more advanced one.

Top Bottom