• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's a pretty logical expansion of the lillial orb, in honesty. It's still laid out the same way, except that instead of each direction being for a particular stat, it's for an element instead. The major difference is that the direction you're going on the orb is determined by the amplifier you have equipped and the points are "spent" automatically. This is pretty clear if you're paying attention to the graphic on the right side of the screen.

However, it's also a unique system and I feel that it's not getting enough credit for that, either. Including from myself early on. The interesting thing about this system is that what determines what you learn is the amount of points in a particular element, and what you equip only determines which elements get points when they're gained and how rapidly. There is a major failure in the interface that is easily noticed if you use the sort option on the screen, which seems to lead some people to believe that the amplifier "has" skills on it, but that is of course not the case at all. If you equip the very first fire amplifier, you can learn every fire skill eventually, it'll just take much longer than with a more advanced one.

I figured that the orbs are activators rather than something along the lines of giving you skills. All the skills and artes and such that a character can learn is already pre-built. It's just a matter of how you want to activate them and when and by using the orbs as activators, you're allowing a certain growth path to proceed. That's what I took it as. Seems like I was right. Though I still haven't figured out what the select button does. Also, combining orbs to create a combination of 3-4 elements are awesome.

SO uhm, I'm at the point where I can finally get into Character Chapters...and because I don't really want to screw things up, I have a question : I have Jude and Leia available...if I choose to play Jude's Chapter, will I still be able to play Leia's Chapter afterwards or not?
I guess I can and they become unavailable only if I start the next Main Chapter, but it doesn't hurt to ask ^^

I need to save up 45000 more gald (from a total of 75000) too before the next Main Chapter so I can get every important "overpay" bonuses. And I have 3 fields and a dungeon to explore too! It's funny to go to past dungeons, it's been a year since I finished Xillia 1 and I still remember the layout of Tataru Mine for example (used to farm in there). I'm not forced to get in (enemies are lv25 and I'm still lv18), but the rewards are higher than anywhere else for now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SO uhm, I'm at the point where I can finally get into Character Chapters...and because I don't really want to screw things up, I have a question : I have Jude and Leia available...if I choose to play Jude's Chapter, will I still be able to play Leia's Chapter afterwards or not?
I guess I can and they become unavailable only if I start the next Main Chapter, but it doesn't hurt to ask ^^

I need to save up 45000 more gald (from a total of 75000) too before the next Main Chapter so I can get every important "overpay" bonuses. And I have 3 fields and a dungeon to explore too! It's funny to go to past dungeons, it's been a year since I finished Xillia 1 and I still remember the layout of Tataru Mine for example (used to farm in there). I'm not forced to get in (enemies are lv25 and I'm still lv18), but the rewards are higher than anywhere else for now.

Yes. It doesn't matter what order you play them in.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The treatment of alternate Milla was really harsh, even if I chose to hold on to her hand :<

Milla Maxwell don't care.

kayos90

The treatment of alternate Milla was really harsh, even if I chose to hold on to her hand :<

Milla Maxwell don't care.

Yup. I was pretty shocked at how it all went down. Also the boss in that chapter blows so hard.

EDIT: Also, AltMillaxLudger for life.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yup. I was pretty shocked at how it all went down. Also the boss in that chapter blows so hard.

EDIT: Also, AltMillaxLudger for life.

Seriously.
Hated that battle with Ridou... probably restarted it 3 or 4 times before I finally was able to defeat him.

kayos90

Seriously.
Hated that battle with Ridou... probably restarted it 3 or 4 times before I finally was able to defeat him.

It sucks because of the premade party bullshit. It was infuriating. Plus the minions call more minions if you don't kill them fast enough. Weakness was key in that fight. I just spammed All the Way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It sucks because of the premade party bullshit. It was infuriating. Plus the minions call more minions if you don't kill them fast enough. Weakness was key in that fight. I just spammed All the Way.

I ended up taking out the sub-enemies first and then focused on the main guy.

kayos90

I ended up taking out the sub-enemies first and then focused on the main guy.

Same here. However there were times when I couldn't finish them all in one-go using Corpse Shell and they kept calling more in. It was pretty bullshit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Meh. That whole section on the ship was entirely too annoying. I'm still enjoying the game a lot though.

kayos90

Meh. That whole section on the ship was entirely too annoying. I'm still enjoying the game a lot though.

Yup. Still sad about what happened in the chapter though. Hit me pretty hard. The story is easily one of the best I've seen since Vesperia. At least until part 3 where Vesperia became utter shit.

Jubern

I got a random convo with Alvin and Jude where they tried to justify this by saying "it's the same type of ship as that one in the first game!"
"Same type", yeah right ahah.

I'm trying to remember which environments were in the first game and which one are new, and I'm pretty sure 90%+ is just old stuff, down to the polygon count.

Jubern

Done with Chapter 12, it was also very good.

The whole part about the team being dead was kind of creepy, especially the part with poor Tipo. Yet at the same time, seeing Elenpios flourishing was very surreal and pleasant. Learning the truth about Elle and Ludger was quite something...

Victor was definitely the hardest boss I had to fight thus far, and helped me realize once again how much I disliked the pace of battles in Xillia, way too fast and confusing IMO
Also, while I liked the twist and everything, I found his very existence to be very confusing, as it totally undermines the already discutable nature of Ludger as a silent protagonist.

So far so good, I'm really looking forward to what happens next!

Mieu

Idolmaster costumes don't let screenies too :(

I'm at Jude's ep now. Is there any quick transport at this point?

3Kaze

XCAxD.jpg
Finally got the game. La Poste sucks.

3Kaze

you're in france ? you should know by now that "la poste" is extremly slow when dealign with foreign objects
Yep. Well, the package was in 'retention period' for two days so I could have gotten the game sooner if the postmen weren't so lazy. I had to get it myself. Still, a week isn't too long for airmail.

http://gameclear.org/tox2/ has character episodes laid out with which choices give bonuses.

Realized they forgot something in Leia's Chapter 1 :

Before speaking with Leia's boss at the end of the chapter, she tells us she's hungry, so head to the port and into the inn. Speak with the bartender, and choose any of the two meals (left one with tomatoes gives a bit more funny dialogue between Ludger and Alvin but affection growth is identical) and at the next question when they're done eating, choose the left option to up Leia's affection level. Now you can speak to Leia's boss.

I thought it was weird the chapter didn't include a lot of possibilities to get affection, turns out they forgot that bit in the wiki.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Idolmaster costumes don't let screenies too :(

I'm at Jude's ep now. Is there any quick transport at this point?
Thanks. I figured it as all the licensed stuff, but that's Namco's so I guess they were strict about it. You get it after Ch 6. But you do get quick boots at Chapter 5 which is something, I guess... Man, I hate taking the train. Unskippable going to train scene.

I can't tell you how many times I started instinctively hitting R3 when I didn't have fast travel. >_< It's weird because they give it to you pretty fast (ie: after you go to Milla's place and return to Ni Akeria) in Xillia 1.

It sucks because of the premade party bullshit.
I don't like this aspect at all. I also don't like not being able to swap people in and out of battle on the fly like I did in the original. Feels like a step back entirely. Xillia had a few things going for it, and insta-party swap was one of them.

So, uh, the ways to boost relationships:
-Do character chapters
-Answer certain options favourably for the characters
-Link with them (& use link artes with them?)
-anything else?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks. I keep forgetting those exist. >.>

Bringing this up because apparently for the EX Dungeon...
you can only bring in party members with whom you have 8 relationship points (8 hearts) with. You can bring in 2-4 people, but you can't have Ludger go in there alone because if you aren't linked to someone, you'll only do 1 damage. There're a few other things relating to characters and relationships (ie: rooms which get unlocked depending on the character(s) with you).

Mieu

I have 3 Hearts with Jude. Doing it with Link arts is quite fast. Depending on how you grind for Gald and EXP, I think the time to max it out for the whole game is enough. Not sure about Milla though.

@licenses
I think the agreement was just for them being used in the game. But I think Namco was very generous in letting us use most of the costumes from the previous title.

I still don't know where to start in after triggering Jude's episode. I might end up getting 100K Gald running in circles LOL

I can't read japanese so I really can't understand the guide. Do sidequests expire?

I have 3 Hearts with Jude. Doing it with Link arts is quite fast. Depending on how you grind for Gald and EXP, I think the time to max it out for the whole game is enough. Not sure about Milla though.

@licenses
I think the agreement was just for them being used in the game. But I think Namco was very generous in letting us use most of the costumes from the previous title.

I still don't know where to start in after triggering Jude's episode. I might end up getting 100K Gald running in circles LOL

I can't read japanese so I really can't understand the guide. Do sidequests expire?

if you're talking about jude episode 1, you have to return in the academy Lv 13 and enter the room just before the boss ... the best answer are L1 in this sequence.. ( i've just finished this part )

Mieu

if you're talking about jude episode 1, you have to return in the academy Lv 13 and enter the room just before the boss ... the best answer are L1 in this sequence.. ( i've just finished this part )

Alright. Will check this later when I get home. Too many tickets here at work. >_<

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Um... wow @ the revelations in chapter 12.
Elle's father is Ludger from the future... AND he killed off Alvin, Leia and co. in the alternate history...

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Vincent is hard to beat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm trying to get all the Event quests done before moving on. I figured it'd be for the best in the long run.

I don't think they do. Sometimes I've seen the ones in white (the regular quests) come and go. The ones in red (the event quest + the kitten quests) generally stay there until you do them.

kiryogi

Banned
Um... wow @ the revelations in chapter 12.
Elle's father is Ludger from the future... AND he killed off Alvin, Leia and co. in the alternate history...

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Vincent is hard to beat.

Yknow somehow it was a given to me. No surprise to me considering visual facts.
they both have the same eyes and her father was sporting the same hairstyle
. in a way it felt as obvious as when they were hinting towards this new Tales games and knowing it'd be Xillia 2

It's official. The bosses in Xillia 2 fucking suck.

Ya
volt was an extreme asshole

kayos90

Yknow somehow it was a given to me. No surprise to me considering visual facts.
they both have the same eyes and her father was sporting the same hairstyle
. in a way it felt as obvious as when they were hinting towards this new Tales games and knowing it'd be Xillia 2

Ya
volt was an extreme asshole

He was the first boss I tried numerous times on. Other bosses I only tried once or twice on hard.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I can say that at least Hard mode in this game is harder than Hard mode in Xillia 1.

I like it, but bosses in Hearts-esque games are always irritating (heck, Tales games in general, because you aren't always using everything you're given to defeat the boss like you would normal enemies).

Um. I think the guns are starting to exemplify the reasons why I don't like ranged attackers a lot. The only time I'm liberally choosing to use free-run is to shoot things in the face. Edit: Oh, and to kick them in the air and juggle them with bullets. Just, shit, I thought he'd be more agile than he currently is in a DMC-esque way with the guns.

Top Bottom