• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

kiryogi

Banned
he was hard ..but i only died once ( him smashing himself on the ground causing all kind of damage is a uber cheap move ) .i wasted all my item but i beat him on my second attempt

There was times he'd spam that move 3 times in a row and just wipe me instantly like right in the beginning of a fight. WTF.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
After chapter 13 you can't use corpse shell for a while... Really wish I had it when I was fighting one of the quest monsters. Luckily managed to break through, and right after was a boss battle for Jude's episode 4...

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Just got some Cat Tail weapon for Ludgar from the cat search thing. Didn't know you could get weapons from it lol.

Yay 50k at Chapter 6, that means 150k gald to get both bonuses...I don't know where I'll get that sum. There's a Giganto Monster in quests but the rewards are so high I suspect he's too high-leveled...and because I want to beat them under 2 minutes for Grade it's even more difficult >_< Grind time before Chapter 7!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh nice. No debt collecting after chapter 14 going into 15. Interesting. It seems I can select a "bad ending" here... half tempted to do it.

;_____________;

Bladenic

Watched some spoilerific vids because I hate myself. The mystic artes are insane, especially the dual ones. So awesome.

Also some boss videos I watched were insane, looks way faster paced and more hectic than Xillia.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is what I expected Jude to be like in Xillia, so I'm pretty happy with the character in Xillia 2. Strikes a right balance.

Also some boss videos I watched were insane, looks way faster paced and more hectic than Xillia.
Hard mode in this feels harder (and thus it justifies the fact that there are only 5 difficulty settings in the Xillia games). But for the most part, the boss battles are going the same for me as they did in the original. You know, block when Blue "!" comes up, get the hell away when red "!" comes up. It's not different. It was easier in Xillia because you're generally maining someone with a high agil stat / teleport move (and because almost every playable character was broken to some degree).

Some of the bosses can be complete assholes (ex: (chapter 5-7 spoilers, I guess)
Volt with that crushing move; Musee being Musee because she's Musee and she's usually annoying (tbh, I think she was easier here; just dodging her hi-ougi is usually difficult because she's always persistent in both games)
, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bunch of character episodes opened up after chapter 15. Going to try and power through them so I can move on to the last chapter.

Bladenic

This is what I expected Jude to be like in Xillia, so I'm pretty happy with the character in Xillia 2. Strikes a right balance.

Hard mode in this feels harder (and thus it justifies the fact that there are only 5 difficulty settings in the Xillia games). But for the most part, the boss battles are going the same for me as they did in the original. You know, block when Blue "!" comes up, get the hell away when red "!" comes up. It's not different. It was easier in Xillia because you're generally maining someone with a high agil stat / teleport move (and because almost every playable character was broken to some degree).

Some of the bosses can be complete assholes (ex: (chapter 5-7 spoilers, I guess)
Volt with that crushing move; Musee being Musee because she's Musee and she's usually annoying (tbh, I think she was easier here; just dodging her hi-ougi is usually difficult because she's always persistent in both games)
, though.

This is gonna be a huge spoiler for me but
how come you fight a lot of Xillia bosses here looking like dark versions of themselves?

I wonder when Tales will finally let you play co-op online with people instead of just locally. Seems like a given at this point.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really hate Namco for making Ludger a silent protagonist because I really like his story. He's been put in a lot of really emotional situations as well that really end up one-sided as a result. The worst part is how his silence extends to the anime cutscenes where they feel even more out of place... ugh, what were they thinking.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Complaints about the boss aside, chapter 12 was fantastic. Awesome cutscene, awesome developments, a very clear-cut straight to the point chapter. Very awesome. Chapter 11 and chapter 12 have really shown that Tales can deliver narratively.

Jubern

Definitely, game is awesome on that end. But I just finished chapter 13 and yeah, after the already terrible chapter 12 boss, this didn't go to well with me.

Is it me or is the AI even more braindead than usual? They can't guard for shit, even with it's like a HEUG MONSTER jumping in the air for two secs before stomping the ground...

Definitely, game is awesome on that end. But I just finished chapter 13 and yeah, after the already terrible chapter 12 boss, this didn't go to well with me.

Is it me or is the AI even more braindead than usual? They can't guard for shit, even with it's like a HEUG MONSTER jumping in the air for two secs before stomping the ground...

they do guard , but they don't evade/sidestep ( here lies my problem )

Mieu

I'm Lost.....

Will they give us a Haseo Ludger Costume.

OMG... there is a weapon crafting system here..

Rpgmonkey

I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would.

Aside from the content recycling, silent Ludger, and the minor annoyance of the debt system, this might end up being the most well-rounded Tales game in the series to me, and one of my favorites. I think the plot, cast, and overall gameplay are at a good level of quality, and surprisingly consistent.

If it can manage to be a fun ride through to the end, it might be my favorite among this generation of Tales games.

I thought, according to the wiki, that Chapter 6's bonuses for the debt system were for 50k base + double 50k for a total of 150k, but only an extra 50k was needed, got the two bonuses at once. Pleasant surprise. Now I just need to kill the Giganto Monsters I can access in under two minutes each and it's going to be Chapter 7 time!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Aside from the content recycling, silent Ludger, and the minor annoyance of the debt system, this might end up being the most well-rounded Tales game in the series to me, and one of my favorites. I think the plot, cast, and overall gameplay are at a good level of quality, and surprisingly consistent.

If it can manage to be a fun ride through to the end, it might be my favorite among this generation of Tales games.

These are my thoughts exactly. I'm close to the end now too, so it definitely holds on all the way through. I'm a bit surprised because, as you said, there's a ton of recycling but the team has managed a much better plot than ToX and the addition of characters like Ludger and Julius are welcome changes.

At this point I need to finish up some of the character episodes then I can go right into the final chapter.

Aeana

It's interesting to see people think this, because my thoughts are really pretty different. The game feels like a completely unnecessary add-on to the original, not like the "lost second half" that I was hoping for. The plot up through chapter 10 is silly and the total personality shifts for some of the characters just feels odd to me. In terms of gameplay, it's certainly improved, I'll give it that, but it just doesn't feel like a complete game to me at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Know what my favourite part about this game is? Going through the same maps I went through in Xillia 1 a few weeks ago in Main Chapters and Character Chapters because they have different treasures.

Remember kids, always recycle... to the extreme! Just... holy crap.

I like the game more than Xillia 1, but it certainly has its share of design issues. At least the gameplay's more fun and feels more balanced, and I'm getting something out of the story. I'm still holding out for the story to get crappy like it usually does towards the end. I hope that doesn't happen. :/

This is gonna be a huge spoiler for me but
how come you fight a lot of Xillia bosses here looking like dark versions of themselves?
LOL, stop spoiling yourself.
The infection from the time factors make them all crazy and have them become darker versions of themselves.

jae

The reward for 100 cats is
a thank you & a title. No trophy, no tangible reward, no upgrade to the Neko Search. Such bullshit.

Mieu

I've reached a point where I don't like (Chapter 7 character)
AltMilla
all that much. :/

How come? I really can't tell since I haven't seen
AltMilla

I went from the port to
Hamil ot Milla's Village and her backyard
. just to find the stones to craft Ludger's twin blade. Are other weapons worthy of crafting?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How come? I really can't tell since I haven't seen
AltMilla

I went from the port to
. just to find the stones to craft Ludger's twin blade. Are other weapons worthy of crafting?

I usually don't think weapons are worth crafting.

Datschge

The reward for 100 cats is
a thank you & a title. No trophy, no tangible reward, no upgrade to the Neko Search. Such bullshit.

Isn't the reward being
able to hear the cats meow in the different characters' voice actors' voice? Honestly didn't expected more than this to begin with as it's such a fanservicing addition as is

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sort of tsuntsun lol?
Pretty much. Like, I get why they did it, but I don't like it. She was one of the characters whom I appreciated a lot in the first game, and well... I don't go for those characters in general. It's just weird for me.

I went from the port to
If you're hellbent on getting the event/special quests done, there are some that require you to craft stuff.

Mieu

I see. Thanks for the input. Is it required for getting the platinum? I haven't seen the platinum set yet for TOX2

Also, where do I buy cat food for Lulu aside from the Nova's gifts?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I see. Thanks for the input. Is it required for getting the platinum? I haven't seen the platinum set yet for TOX2

The trophies are kind of ridiculous imo.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

No, I don't think you do. The trophy list is just as bullshit as the last game's trophy list. Lots of repetitive tasks, and I honestly want to attempt it on a NG+ than do most of the work now. And while I'm on the subject, I think I need a week from this game after having played it a bunch yesterday and today (and tbh, this week is kinda busy for me anyway, so that might be a good thing, lol). Playing/doing the second plat for Xillia 1 took a lot out of me and having to do essentially the same tasks for Xillia 2 is making me feel a little bored because I'm going through the same locations over and over (the ToX1 version, the ToX2 treasures, the alternate world location, the alternate world location in the character chapter, etc). I like the game, but... recycling.

I don't really think you can buy them but you can find food/toys on the field or as drops. But you don't necessarily have to feed Lulu to have a successful cat dispatch; it just increases your chances of getting stuff. Plus playing it on different days gives you different daily bonuses (ex: Saturday: return time is decreased by 20% or something; Friday, the bonus area is all Lieze Maxia locations or something, etc).

Oh, ah, did anyone start Poker yet? Seems like a fast way to get Friend Link S.

kiryogi

Banned
Isn't the reward being
able to hear the cats meow in the different characters' voice actors' voice? Honestly didn't expected more than this to begin with as it's such a fanservicing addition as is

?:O so that richea cat was totally richeas actress

Jubern

?:O so that richea cat was totally richeas actress

The
Okiayu
cats always get me. First time I met one was in the church near Kan Balk (sp?). I entered guessing a cat would be in and hearing a bored "nyaa..." that had
Dymlos/Gaius's
voice was pretty disturbing and unexpected ahah.
Though to be honest I didn't recognized that much voices. Well, didn't really try to either... I'm at 80 cats, dunno if I'm going to bother with the rest if there's no reward >_>

I need to do all the characters last episodes, then it's final dungeon. Hoping I can get all of this done within the day

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I've not gone out of my way to look for the cats yet. After seeing what the prize is for getting all of them, I really don't care.

jae

Upon further investigation, once you have all 100 you can decipher the hidden message in the names list and to get 3 attachments. So. Yeah.

I'm in the post game now, the bonus dungeon is pretty ass. I really liked the game overall from like chapter 9 on, once the debt thing became less intrusive (one gigant reward would pay your debt easily). Not sure how much post game I am going to do, maybe just the arena.

edit

http://i.imgur.com/Fe8rT.jpg - Bonus dungeon redeemed, sorta. Costume spoiler.

I'm so slow ...but i'm kinda taking my time with this game ..

i actually went to the academy first when given the choice.. and then i did jude episode part 1.. how intresting to see that when i went to leia , i got a BONUS jude episode scene ..
I hope this kind of stuff is used in the game as i'll be fun to find all sort of hidden choices and scenes ..

i'm not too far into the game i'm retracing steps on a ground i already know ( the one i farmed when i was preparing for the ex dongeon in xillia 1 .. i'm accustomed to it but i wonder how ( for example ) someone like dark schala would take this as he has done this thing 4 times already in xillia 1 .. it's kinda overkill.

Out of the 3 weapons , the dual blades are the most enjoyable .. they are fast , allow for some cool combos ( so far ) ..however the guns are my disapointment .. i guess i shouldn't have expected a Devil may cry level of comboing ( i didn't expect that but ) but still they don't feel powerfull , and they don't feel accurate enough ..there are some cool things you can do as support with L1 but those are mainly a support weapon , not an offensive weapon ... i'm waiting for "THE SKILL" that will bring this weapon to an enjoyable state but so far i'm disapointed.

The mass is a good surprise ..it's slow but with the right skills , it's SUPER EFFECTIVE !!!
I don't understand myself yet when i really i enjoy this slow weapon but there is some cool things hidden in there .. again i'm waiting for a skill to make it EVEN more cool ... but i'm enjoying this far more than i expected.

IVFsyl.jpg

is that really the right question ??
Ival is back and his status as a joke character is still the same .. The difference however is that i found him Extremly annoying in xillia 1 , yet i can't help but to laugh each time he does something .. Even the xillia 1 cast don't bother anymore .. they 're all accustomed to him ... i was like "not even tipo dare comment this ?" poor guy ..but don't change ..!!

hGeUVl.jpg

a tipo bag ? don't tell me ...*checks amazon.jp ... not in there ...
As expected i wanted something to happen between elise and elle.. so far i'm enjoying "elle" but also what both girls do.. xillia 2 seems like a game based on characters .. Nova again is a prime example of different characters throw in to the mix ... YET LUDGER doesn't have a freaking voice !!

Now i'm sad that my worries were true ... but this Sucksssssss big time... i will wait for NG+ to trully enjoy the game with him because it's sad ...Elle is a nice girl but it would have been so much better if her interractions with the rest of the cast weren't with a silent ludger or with ludger cat ..[goddammit]..

Thank god i'm enjoying the battle system..

Ps: Why the heck the game doesn't pause during skits ( for me to take a screenshot ) .. is it because the game is already frozen already ? dammit i can't screen the funny sentences !!

Jubern

I'm done, 44h40.

Very enjoyable ride, and definitely a good surprise. Overall, I think it was better than Xillia 1, it made good use of the insane amount of reused assets. It refined some good ideas with bad execution (like the quests) and threw a bunch of new things with more or less success (silent Ludger, why...).

I wasn't going to do a second run right now, but thinking again SRW OG2nd will probably devour my December/January gaming schedule, so I might take another look at the game in the next few days. Just checked the Grade Shop though, and noticed I basically needed like 3 or 4 thousands points more to get what I want -_- I absolutely hate that new grade system.

Ending spoilers (might differ from your experience since there are multiple endings):
The ending was good, but kind of a downer :( Though in the good (?) sense of the word, as the choices in the end are totally in line with the rest of the game, which is really great. Killing Julius or not, saving Elle or yourself... It's faithful to what the game had done til that point. I sacrificed Ludger for Elle, eventually. I'll probably go back to the bad ending and the normal ending in a couple of days, just to see what i missed.

The Xillia 1 cast was really just there. Most of the character episodes were really interesting, but it felt like a totally different story. Which was the point, I suppose, but it was really empathized by the fact none of them beside Milla had any relevance to the overall plot. Still, I liked that cast and was happy to see them again. Except Milla Maxwell maybe, Miss Perfect never did it for me and her presence automatically makes Jude ten times worse (and by extension, Leia). Not to mention the sacrifice that had to be done for her to come back...

It was fun while it lasted!

kiryogi

Banned
I've not gone out of my way to look for the cats yet. After seeing what the prize is for getting all of them, I really don't care.

I sort of just ran into them as I explore all the towns or if I accept the quests then yea I also go out of my way in that regard >_<

Mieu

Is this the first time,
Stahn, Cless, and Rutee appeared for the cameo arena? I understand the choices but I expected someone else in place of Mint

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
someone like dark schala would take this as she has done this thing 4 times already in xillia 1 .. it's kinda overkill.
It wouldn't surprise you that I'm taking the day off to study/do work/play Ys Celceta instead. When I finished Chapter 9 proper and ended up having to do character chapters that took me to the same freaking places over and over again (and I almost had it up to here after finishing Chapter 8 and having to go to Khan Balk, Heliobog Base for the nth time, etc.), oh my gosh, I knew I needed a break.

That's why I'm not going for trophies this time around. They're just as bs as the last game's and I finished the last game's plat for the second time last week. No thanks. It falls into the category of "same shit, different game" (though, lol, the "different game" part is debatable).

Like, I like the game a little more than Xillia because I like the story more, but man that recycling almost kills me.

Out of the 3 weapons , the dual blades are the most enjoyable .. they are fast , allow for some cool combos ( so far ) ..however the guns are my disapointment .. i guess i shouldn't have expected a Devil may cry level of comboing ( i didn't expect that but ) but still they don't feel powerfull , and they don't feel accurate enough ..there are some cool things you can do as support with L1 but those are mainly a support weapon , not an offensive weapon ... i'm waiting for "THE SKILL" that will bring this weapon to an enjoyable state but so far i'm disapointed.

The mass is a good surprise ..it's slow but with the right skills , it's SUPER EFFECTIVE !!!
I don't understand myself yet when i really i enjoy this slow weapon but there is some cool things hidden in there .. again i'm waiting for a skill to make it EVEN more cool ... but i'm enjoying this far more than i expected.
That's something I was thinking about when I woke up. Ludger's dual blades have the advantage of generally hitting multiple times so it does feel like you're doing more damage faster. His artes are generally more fun to use with them. I have very little problems with the dual blades. They're wicked fun to use. I think I'm done with maining Ludger for now and will try my hand at learning Gaius and relearning Jude (because nerfing Jude makes him somewhat different).

And I had the same issue with the dual pistols.
KuGsj.gif
That's exactly what I thought they were going to be like going into the game, but no, he just jogs or walk forward while firing them. I was expecting something far more agile and faster--more DMC-esque as you said. The pistols seem to make him as slow as Alvin.

With regards to weapons with the "Hit" criteria, I was thinking more about Jude's animation speeds. Maybe it's just me but I noticed that people with the "Hit" property assigned to their attacks are generally... slower? Or they animate slower. I mean, all they probably did was fix Jude's agil/mov stat. But I've usually said that I prefer fighting faster, so my favourites are the dual knives. I have to wonder if the hammer (even though it isn't a bladed weapon) has the advantage that Gaius does: even if Gaius is slow, his sword is a huge asset because its reach is huge. He can swipe multiple enemies in one strike because the sword is so darn big. He doesn't need the speed because his sword is doing the damage for him. Since the hammer looks like it has a similar reach, wider attacks can hit multiple dudes, probably. Anyone who experimented more with the hammer wanna chime in?

I have to wonder if Level 198 Jude would have similar stats to Level 99 Jude (this is without giving him agil stat enhancers -- plus he has his fell arms + final armour equipped (no accessories), so that's why his power level is so high; edit: lol, I left the skills equipped, but doesn't matter because my point is that Jude is broken as hell.):

dsc00414k9uc2.jpg

I want to see if he can hit that Agil level.

wait ? what's the level max for Xillia 2 ? is it 99 like ( xillia 1 ) or is it 250 ?

all they probably did was fix Jude's agil/mov stat
i'm sure they did .. i've tried jude and he doesn't feel as fast and overkill as he was ..he's still pretty great ..but the broken character is no more IMO

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
wait ? what's the level max for Xillia 2 ? is it 99 like ( xillia 1 ) or is it 250 ?

i'm sure they did .. i've tried jude and he doesn't feel as fast and overkill as he was ..he's still pretty great ..but the broken character is no more IMO
I believe it's 200. ...yeah.

Yeah, Jude's still pretty good even if he's slower, they just nerfed him a lot because Ludger's supposed to be the star, lol. Also because he's broken.

Edit: I tried to see if Rowen was still ridiculously broken, but he doesn't have the skills I want him to have yet to try it out.

Top Bottom