• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Destroying Worlds 4 U

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The OP is hidden in my post. Quote to see it.

BLARG
I've already gushed about ufotable in a PM to you, but yes...

I can't wait. I'm happy I stopped watching those PVs though. And I'm glad that the PV with the first animation scenes didn't spoil the whole OP because the little and major additions were pretty good. But I have AC3:L and Ys Celceta to keep me company until I get it.

raven777

I watched the op. Since its one op this time, its longer than Xillia 1's

I am surprised that they show xillia 1's mila most of the time, and we barely see xillia 2's new mila in the opening. I thought it would be the other way around.

And yea, the new song is not that great tbh. not as good as first one

3Kaze

I like the TOX2 op more than the first, both music and animation-wise. Shame for the ugly CG monster though.

This new town theme sounds pretty good.

It's so weird that Ludger's not talking in skits... Like, I don't see it as a negative at the moment, but it is a little out of the ordinary.

Reaaaallllllyyy don't know how I feel about this. Kind of wish it was an option to not have him like that when you first play. Silent-ish Tales protagonist? Hm.

Oh I just found out I got a notice about 10 hours ago that my game+preorder bonuses shipped.
I hope I'll get the game by next Tuesday!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My order got shipped today. Hooray! I hope I get it sometime next week (lol, Canadian customs will prevent that somehow.)

Reaaaallllllyyy don't know how I feel about this. Kind of wish it was an option to not have him like that when you first play. Silent-ish Tales protagonist? Hm.
I think it'll feel weird when you listen to more skits. It's too bad you can't turn the voice on/off in the first playthrough. I know their intent is immersion, but that isn't necessarily what Tales is for me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My order got shipped today. Hooray! I hope I get it sometime next week (lol, Canadian customs will prevent that somehow.)

I think it'll feel weird when you listen to more skits. It's too bad you can't turn the voice on/off in the first playthrough. I know their intent is immersion, but that isn't necessarily what Tales is for me.

No!!!!! Mine hasn't shipped yet!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
you're still gonna get yours before me.
emot-vhkj6i.gif

Netto-kun

Shipping soon. Hopefully it'll arrive next week. Regarding the Xillia 2 OP; While "Song 4 U" may be better a song, I like how "progress" flows so well with the animation in Xillia. I like the choices for the cameo battles (even though they should've been in the first game). Pretty funny timing since I've been playing Phantasia X and Destiny DC on and off.

In other news:
- Apparently the install size is 2950 MB.
- Like with the previous game, it looks like you won't get grades from battles.
- All of Ludger's choices are voiced in 2nd playthrough and onward. You can select the option in the Grade Shop for free.
- There's a hot spring event.

And here's the Famitsu cover.

kayos90

Shipping soon. Hopefully it'll arrive next week. Regarding the Xillia 2 OP; While "Song 4 U" may be better a song, I like how "progress" flows so well with the animation in Xillia. I like the choices for the cameo battles (even though they should've been in the first game). Pretty funny timing since I've been playing Phantasia X and Destiny DC on and off.

In other news:
- All of Ludger's choices are voiced in 2nd playthrough and onward. You can select the option in the Grade Shop for free.

This baffles me.

Aeana

In other news:

Honestly, this is by far the worst trend of recent Tales games. It doesn't make sense to call it grade anymore with what they've done with it. Hate it.

kayos90

Honestly, this is by far the worst trend of recent Tales games. It doesn't make sense to call it grade anymore with what they've done with it. Hate it.

They probably didn't want the alternative which is to farm grade. Idk....

Rpgmonkey

- Like with the previous game, it looks like you won't get grades from battles..

I expected that, but I really dislike Xillia's system. Graces had a somewhat annoying system too.

With the direction they're going in I think they should just ditch Grade entirely and use Destiny R's new game+ system, where every bonus costs 1 point and you get points based on the requirements you met while playing and how many times you've cleared the game.

It's almost the same thing, but it's easier to understand and plan out than these systems where they make up weird calculations, like giving you 100 Grade for doing X sidequests, or 1 Grade for each arte you used 5000 times.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't say that.

Xillia 1's system is so boring and a terrible misuse of titles. Plus you had a Grade cap of 10000 and you couldn't even afford everything you wanted with that.

Aeana

i'm sooooo against grade farming

i'lkl take anything (even xillia 1 system ) than grade farming ....

So don't grade farm?
If you play well, you should be able to accumulate enough grade for some good options on your next play. No, you won't be able to buy everything, but... even with Xillia's system, you're left doing lots of busywork to get the titles that give grade. I'd really, really rather get grade for doing well in battle than for working toward arbitrary goalposts. I want to play my way. That's why I don't care about trophies or achievements, too. I'll play how I want, not following some arbitrary list of achievements.

Don't say that.

Xillia 1's system is so boring and a terrible misuse of titles. Plus you had a Grade cap of 10000 and you couldn't even afford everything you wanted with that.
The grade limit was the only thing restrictive about xillia 1 system.( everything else in xillia 1 could be abused in various ways )

So don't grade farm?
If you play well, you should be able to accumulate enough grade for some good options on your next play. No, you won't be able to buy everything, but... even with Xillia's system, you're left doing lots of busywork to get the titles that give grade. I'd really, really rather get grade for doing well in battle than for working toward arbitrary goalposts. I want to play my way. That's why I don't care about trophies or achievements, too. I'll play how I want, not following some arbitrary list of achievements.

In the "old" grade system i'm forced to play twice to get enough grade to purchase everything i need..

i'd rather have a system that reward me with the discoveries and in game achivements i got ( without limit ) and be able to purchase whatever bonus i want afterwards...
How many times did i have to fight that golden dragon in symphonia or whatever equivalent in other titles ? Grade farming forces you to fihgt the same kind of fights over and over just to get enough points to get the effect you want ..

FSLink

Banned
Maybe they will have purchasable DLC that lets Ludger speak on the first playthrough.

I'm surprised they haven't announced this yet, it seems up their ally for milking DLC, haha.

And honestly I'd rather grind for Grade than do monotonous tasks. At least battles can still be fun.

I'm surprised they haven't announced this yet, it seems up their ally for milking DLC, haha.

And honestly I'd rather grind for Grade than do monotonous tasks. At least battles can still be fun.

This is kind of bad, but I would buy it. Can't imagine playing a Tales game with a silent protagonist.

kayos90

This is kind of bad, but I would buy it. Can't imagine playing a Tales game with a silent protagonist.

Judging by what we've seen, he needs a voice for certain scenes because it's essential for portraying emotion and such. I don't understand why they would do such a thing and legitimately justify it...

Torraz

Judging by what we've seen, he needs a voice for certain scenes because it's essential for portraying emotion and such. I don't understand why they would do such a thing and legitimately justify it...

Yeah. I simply can't buy the "silent protagonists = the player can better identify with the main character" shtick. I'd much rather accompany someone, with a voice, personality and emotions, on their journey.

I can't see why they wouldn't at least make it an option...

kayos90

Hahahahaha at the last pics.

Not that I get a lot out of it, but it's too bad that bathing suits are DLC now rather than being something given to you at the end of a bathing event.

I assume they wanted to use the bathing suits in that link but it might've been too... risque.

Aeana

Hahahahaha at the last pics.

Not that I get a lot out of it, but it's too bad that bathing suits are DLC now rather than being something given to you at the end of a bathing event.

I'm so tired of the stereotypical bathing event in Japanese media, so if it keeps that crap out of games, then I am all for it. If I never see another female party member assault a male party member for "trying to peek," it'll be too soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was more complaining about the overpriced DLC extravaganza that Tales costumes have become.

As for the bathing scenes, they're all the same thing with different characters. The costumes just gave you an excuse to do them, but in general, you could just do without them. I don't get much out of them anyway.

The Graces one was fine, and imo the way it should be done, because it was just an excursion to the beach with an excuse to both be funny and set the beach costumes/titles subquest in motion.

Top Bottom