• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Xenoflare

A shame that the Alt Colored original Xillia costumes aren't able to be carried over to 2. Milla's Alt color is a lot better than her original magenta/pink one.

A shame that the Alt Colored original Xillia costumes aren't able to be carried over to 2. Milla's Alt color is a lot better than her original magenta/pink one.

IIRC, the alt colors are rewards for clearing character quests.

Just wondering how long into the game until I get my old crew back?

Everyone joins up at around chapter
7 I think?

------------------------------------------

So it does look like the new characters do get sports DLC costumes too. Along with your usual here's a bunch of game enhancement DLCs.

Nags

Banned
Well I ordered the LE from Amazon but still haven't received it. Bought it when it was "in-stock" but now they're telling me that they will notify me when it becomes available :|

Seda

The alium orb is really confusing.

It's not too bad. Basically there are six element paths, and each path will teach a character artes/skills. The extractor just dictates which path points will be gained on, and you get a lot of these as you go through the game.

Points are gained by battle or the little loot points on the maps.

Ultimadrago

It's not too bad. Basically there are six element paths, and each path will teach a character artes/skills. The extractor just dictates which path points will be gained on, and you get a lot of these as you go through the game.

Is it a better progression system than Xillia 1's?

Voror

Is there a limit to the amount of points you can get or is it possible to max out? That's one thing I'm not completely clear on.

I just started but it seems a lot more simplistic and less "fun". You don't get the joy of unlocking things the same way you do in Xillia 1. But it is more streamlined and I'm assuming you can just eventually max out everything, which is nice.

Also, I did the whole first round of jobs from the job board, but can't do one because it seems i need a title? However, I didn't get enough points from the other jobs to bump me up to the next title. Does that mean I just have to pay off my debt and move along the story before I'm able to do more jobs and eventually be able to do that one?

There's more of a sense that you are able to choose what to learn instead of fake being able to choose what to focus on. You can see what skills/artes are coming up and choose to go with that element and such.

Is there a limit to the amount of points you can get or is it possible to max out? That's one thing I'm not completely clear on.

Completely possible to max it out. You can gain the points from battle or from randomly finding it on the fields (yes, there's another thing to look forward to hunting on the fields) and its basically unlimited.

Seda

I'm not sure I would call it better or worse, honestly I don't have much of an opinion on it. It's a little less hands-on, which some might appreciate, some might not. All it really calls for from the player is to move Extractors around characters from time to time, and to equip better ones when you get them.

Yeah you can max out an element. When you check the points (R3 button on that menu) there will be a star next to whichever ones are maxed. The grid will also have a ring around the maxed element.

Ultimadrago

I just started but it seems a lot more simplistic and less "fun". You don't get the joy of unlocking things the same way you do in Xillia 1. But it is more streamlined and I'm assuming you can just eventually max out everything, which is nice.

There's more of a sense that you are able to choose what to learn instead of fake being able to choose what to focus on. You can see what skills/artes are coming up and choose to go with that element and such.

I'm cool with this. I certainly prefer a more direct approach if the alternative is a weakly executed sphere grid.

I'm not sure I would call it better or worse, honestly I don't have much of an opinion on it. It's a little less hands-on, which some might appreciate, some might not. All it really calls for from the player is to move Extractors around characters from time to time, and to equip better ones when you get them.

I see. I could handle switching extractors fine in tandem with other scheduled equipment optimizations (because they're simple equips, right?). It's not really about hands-off/hands-on for me as much as how I didn't favor Xillia 1's take on the sphere grid. I'm open to a different, more straightforward system in its stead.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yep, that's gone.

Back to the normal, new town/event/whatever can mean new stuff in the shops.

Also, item crafting is back too.

Glad to hear that, the shop leveling just didn't work well, and I missed the feeling of reaching a new town and checking out the weapon/armor shop.

Yuterald

My collector's nonsense arrived. Will probably stay unplayed and sealed for years. Any impressions on the dungeons? Do they exist and are they relatively competent? Or is this just another field romp?

MSMrRound

I'm currently doing some quests for the following items:

-Torbalan Jade
-Tanned Leather

They are indicated as items that you can get via Kitty Dispatch.

Can I just ask if they can be obtained normally in-game or is that the only way?

It's because I currently do not have any sidequest to find the Torbalan Highroad cat (and hence can't dispatch the cat to that area...)

Xenoflare

IIRC, the alt colors are rewards for clearing character quests

That's really nice to hear, I already know that alt colors for the Xillia 2 designs are included, but it's nice that the old ones are in it too.

Also I heard that
you can remove Maxwell Milla's slyph hair, is that a hairstyle or an attachment? (Like the bedhead?)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I knew there was going to be reused content but reused boss fights too? Ugh. Still enjoying the game as the story is pretty interesting but the debt system and quest system is really tedious.

I'm currently doing some quests for the following items:

-Torbalan Jade
-Tanned Leather

They are indicated as items that you can get via Kitty Dispatch.

Can I just ask if they can be obtained normally in-game or is that the only way?

It's because I currently do not have any sidequest to find the Torbalan Highroad cat (and hence can't dispatch the cat to that area...)

If they have a little paw next to the item name Kitty Dispatch is the only way.

That's really nice to hear, I already know that alt colors for the Xillia 2 designs are included, but it's nice that the old ones are in it too.

Also I heard that
you can remove Maxwell Milla's slyph hair, is that a hairstyle or an attachment? (Like the bedhead?)

Hair should be customizable separate from the costumes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So gotta advance the story till I get the sidequest where I can get the T. Highroad cat eh? Alright thanks.

Pretty much yea. You can actually pick up the cats before you pick up the quest to find them too.

Cheska

Man, having a silent protagonist in a Tales game is so weird....

Is there any way to check your progress on jobs/side quests?

kewlmyc

Kitty Dispatch is confusing me. You can only have one kitty out at a time right? Does using different kitties change anything or can you only use Rollo?

dorkkaos

Man, having a silent protagonist in a Tales game is so weird....

Is there any way to check your progress on jobs/side quests?

Yeah, it's really weird!

It should be under library. There should be a tab for it, unless you're talking about how many of a certain monster you've killed already, then no.

I wish the jobs/ sidequests were easier to access. Also, I hate those jobs that involved kitty dispatch. Having only one cat to dispatch is bleh. If there were more, atleast the time required wouldn't be so bad...

Xenoflare

I really don't like how the cut scenes are handled, The cinematic format is extremely unfriendly to a silent protagonist.

Again, silent protags are kinda pointless if a game's protagonist already had his/her characterization set stone.

Namco probably wanted to try something new, can't really blame them for that.

Cheska

It should be under library. There should be a tab for it, unless you're talking about how many of a certain monster you've killed already, then no.

I wish the jobs/ sidequests were easier to access. Also, I hate those jobs that involved kitty dispatch. Having only one cat to dispatch is bleh. If there were more, atleast the time required wouldn't be so bad...

Yeah, more like a tab on progress for current jobs. It's a bummer there seems to be nothing on that.

Kitty Dispatch is confusing me. You can only have one kitty out at a time right? Does using different kitties change anything or can you only use Rollo?

Basically you send out Rollo to places you been to before (and I believe found a cat there) to find items.

I believe finding more cats on a map lets you get more items and opens up the ability to get all the items. You can also find cats only via Kitty Dispatch on some maps too. So the cats you find only changes where you can find items and what items you can find.

You can find items to change certain parts like decrease searching time or increase chance of finding more items, etc

What I did was to basically keep sending Rollo to a map after I found a cat there until I found all the items and moved on. There isn't that much to it, besides remembering to check it pretty much every time you start playing again and such.

Wow I'm really enjoying this. I had forgotten how much I had enjoyed Xillia 1. At first I was a bit hesitant about buying this second one, even though I completed the first. I'm glad to say I'm really enjoying it!

ramuh

Wow I'm really enjoying this. I had forgotten how much I had enjoyed Xillia 1. At first I was a bit hesitant about buying this second one, even though I completed the first. I'm glad to say I'm really enjoying it!

That's good to hear! Really enjoyed the first one, I have the second just haven't played it yet (Diablo 3). It's good to see someone that liked the previous like this one as well. Bodes well for my playthrough.

That's good to hear! Really enjoyed the first one, I have the second just haven't played it yet (Diablo 3). It's good to see someone that liked the previous like this one as well. Bodes well for my playthrough.
It might be because I haven't played the first one since the day I beat its story, but I don't remember the first one being this smooth, specially the cut scenes and animations. I remember the first one looking... Idk a bit stiff and even soulless at times. So far I'm liking the whole cast, the animations look great, and again as do the cut scenes. I'm also quite enjoying how you get to pick between two options, and they are never easy to choose either :p

Mohasus

Where can I buy the best weapons?
Is it Fennmont?
Also, is it possible to buy exp food in this one? I can't find it anywhere.

The nerfs in this game... skills costing more or doing less (elemental guards for example, from 30% to 15%), broken food removed (I found some 80% extra exp only, not 100%). ;`(

Ha ha, me too. I'm torn between Diablo III UEE and Xillia 2. This is why I hate buying two games at the same time.

MSMrRound

Getting a bit cheesed off at the Kitty Dispatch.

Don't really like the idea of tying them to quest items.

Been sending Rollo out for about 8 times now (almost 2 hours) and yet to get a single Torbalan stone...and I need two of them.

Sigh.

Also, Nova...I really want to like you, but stop shoving your face into my screen after every area change/battle/picking up of gald. Finally threw all my money at her to shut her up for a bit =.=

ramuh

Ha ha, me too. I'm torn between Diablo III UEE and Xillia 2. This is why I hate buying two games at the same time.

D3 is such a great game so I won't know when I will actually get around to playing Tales. Probably labor day weekend when the wife is out of town.

Getting a bit cheesed off at the Kitty Dispatch.

Don't really like the idea of tying them to quest items.

Been sending Rollo out for about 8 times now (almost 2 hours) and yet to get a single Torbalan stone...and I need two of them.

Sigh.

Also, Nova...I really want to like you, but stop shoving your face into my screen after every area change/battle/picking up of gald. Finally threw all my money at her to shut her up for a bit =.=

You need more kitties. The more kitties you have, the higher the chances of getting the rare items

FSLink

Banned

Yup. Xillia 1 was really an illusion of progression, you usually got everything by the next node anyway.

If you guys have played Abyss, Allium Orb is similar to C. Cores but includes artes as well and isn't tied to leveling, but rather encounters + finding glowy things in chests/field areas.

Vylash

I just started Chapter 4 and I still haven't seen any Character Chapters. I don't think the game has even mentioned them yet, actually, so I hope I didn't miss any of them.

You didn't, i just got back to Trigleph and they gave me the rundown onthem and there's a bunch in town now, guess they just don't unlock until you get more than 4 party members

Bladenic

I feel like if Xillia 2 would've been Xillia, it would've been far more heralded. I still think it's an upper tier Tales game.

Oh and the debt system, that could've been abolished. Or rather, the fact that you are forced to make payments after a certain point, even if you had already unlocked the next chapter, plus the calling after every battle if you have a lot of money is mind boggling.

So should I do every mission I possibly can in between the chapters? Including the elite monsters? Is there ever any reason not to take on a mission or elite monster fight or anything?

Xenoflare

I think the voice acting got better, or rather the audio quality for the voices are improved.

Elize's sounds a lot better, even if sharing is caring is still a thing.

and I don't have to pay the debt unless it progresses the story right? I got a lot of useless stuff for paying them in as soon as I had the money.

So should I do every mission I possibly can in between the chapters? Including the elite monsters? Is there ever any reason not to take on a mission or elite monster fight or anything?

Well with all the money you'll be getting, you'll be hearing Nova a lot more often.

and I don't have to pay the debt unless it progresses the story right? I got a lot of useless stuff for paying them in as soon as I had the money.

Yeah, paying anymore to the debt than what's required will just net you bonus stuff which are pretty nice though. You get skill books, a costume or two, etc.

If you have an Xillia save file do the default costumes from the first game unlock automatically at the start or later on? I have Jude's Cress DLC but not his default outfit from Xillia.

Top Bottom