• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Vylash

I think the voice acting got better, or rather the audio quality for the voices are improved.

Elize's sounds a lot better, even if sharing is caring is still a thing.

and I don't have to pay the debt unless it progresses the story right? I got a lot of useless stuff for paying them in as soon as I had the money.

well it is a different person

Xenoflare

Really? I think she sounded the same but her more outgoing personality remedied a lot of her old problems.

Milla improved too as I said earlier, her acting got better and she finally doesn't suffer from the bad mic which made her sound like she was lisping. Plus
Alt Milla proved that she knows her acting stuff. Also, I think everyone's old battle quotes are revoiced too

She can't go against Miyuki Sawashiro, but hey, a decent dub is a decent dub, I'm pretty happy that I can finally make a fair assessment of her performance

Edit: I knew I heard Muzet in Persona 4, same VA with Saki.

Can you tell me
around which chapter do they unlock? I don't mind being spoiled

The ToX 1 outfits and their color variants gets unlocked as you do more of the character's quests.

I believe its either ToX 1 costumes or ToX 2 color variant costume that gets unlocked first and then the other second.

Xenoflare

The ToX 1 outfits and their color variants gets unlocked as you do more of the character's quests.

I believe its either ToX 1 costumes or ToX 2 color variant costume that gets unlocked first and then the other second.

I just finished
Jude's chapter 1
and got his ToX2 color swap. So I think I should be able to unlock more as the plot progresses.

Man the battle system feels a lot more polished than Xillia, and I can't put my finger on it yet on why.

I'm not sure what to say about Aillum orbs, they do remind me of the glyph stones in Abyss but I hated that system.

abrack08

Yeah, I'll echo the complaints about Ludger. I love his design and his skit portrait(s), I wish he was a fully voiced character. Not just voicing his dialogue choices, which I guess happens in NG+? But actually being a full participant in conversations, like Jude in ToX. It's so weird when something happens and he just tilts his head and makes a funny face but says nothing.

Having fun so far though, that's really my only complaint about 3 hours in. Debt system hasn't bothered me at all.

The funniest thing about Ludger being silent is that I opened the ingame chapter summary just to discover that the whole thing is written by Ludger in first person. Not only does it describe the events of the game from his perspective, but it gives his unfiltered thoughts on everything that happens and what he thinks of the people he's met.

It was just this ridiculous whiplash effect to read after how much the game tries to insist that the player is Ludger.

MilkBeard

Just started playing the game, and it feels good to be back. I missed the Tales battle system. Music is off to a great start, maybe a little bit better consistency than ToX 1? Well, the fact that it starts in Elympios might be the reason.
The voice recordings sound of higher quality than the first game, which is a plus. Also, that opening anime/cinematic was nice.

The only negative at this point is that I agree with a lot of you about the silent protagonist thing. It would be better if he just talked like normal. It's definitely not a deal breaker but it is a little bit strange. Either way, I'm happy to be playing another Tales game.

Man, I'm having an absolute blast with this. Just stopped playing for the day with almost 6 hours in straight lol. I can't believe I almost decided to pass on this until it was cheaper. This should hopefully be the start of really getting back to playing games for the rest of the year (assuming I enjoy everything I get even half as much as this).

Whogie

Just finished Xillia 1 today (somewhat coincidental), and started this one shortly after :)
Jude's fighting ability's gotten super rusty in a year.

The funniest thing about Ludger being silent is that I opened the ingame chapter summary just to discover that the whole thing is written by Ludger in first person. Not only does it describe the events of the game from his perspective, but it gives his unfiltered thoughts on everything that happens and what he thinks of the people he's met.

It was just this ridiculous whiplash effect to read after how much the game tries to insist that the player is Ludger.

That's pretty interesting. I'll check that out.
His grunts come off as very forced to suit this gimmick, and it's frustrating to know you can have him talk on a second playthrough.

Mendrox

What really? I thought it was the same voice, but a bit older. Still sounds too cute and I won't unlink her ever.

Everybody should keep Jude and Elize linked, after a few battles there will be a funny sexual scene (rather.. Elize thinks its creepy that Jude says that they should be linked forever and he loves to link with her, lol.)

SeanTSC

Oh my god I love Rollo so much. She is like a flipped colorscheme of my Ranka kitty and just as rolly polly fat.

27X7BJX.jpg

Must find all the kitties.

Thoraxes

My thoughts exactly. Everything seems so much more fluid right? Even the cut scenes and skits and stuff seem so much better.

Everything from the combat, to the towns, to the loading times; It's all just more responsive.

Plus the music is way better too! I love the aesthetic!

Everything from the combat, to the towns, to the loading times; It's all just more responsive.

Plus the music is way better too! I love the aesthetic!

Yup I remember even the script and characters in the first one, although they had their moments, some times they'd make me cringe or even roll my eyes. With this one, I can't say I have felt that yet. The script, and voice acting for that matter (except... Ledger of course but that's a completely different issue) are top notch. Having a blast over here.

RalchAC

Mmmm... I've went to see if the online retailer where I bought the game has shipped the game yet... but it hasn't. And it's supposed to launch on Friday...

Maybe they haven't updated it. I hope I can get it on release date, if not I'll probably have to wait until Monday! D:

Yeah, I'll echo the complaints about Ludger. I love his design and his skit portrait(s), I wish he was a fully voiced character. Not just voicing his dialogue choices, which I guess happens in NG+? But actually being a full participant in conversations, like Jude in ToX. It's so weird when something happens and he just tilts his head and makes a funny face but says nothing.

Having fun so far though, that's really my only complaint about 3 hours in. Debt system hasn't bothered me at all.

Imagine it's P4's Charlie post-college. Boom, ya good. :p

So jealous of everyone who's playing this. Being broke sucks.
Better to be broke than 20,000,000 in debt...

Game still hasn't clicked with me yet, but it took the first a while before it did. But ludger being silent is really throwing off the feel of the party.

The op song is good, better than xillia 1 time will tell if it's better than white wishes. I'm also not a big cat fan but rollo is one of the few cool ones in my book.

I've played like 12 hours so far, and I think it's pretty good. Some thoughts:

-The reused content is awful. Really makes it feel like they phoned in on the game.

-The debt system isn't so bad. It feels almost like it's raining money. Having Nova bug you over and over though sucks.

-Ludger is fun to play, I especially like the Dual Blades and Hammer.

-The Allium Orb was threw me for a loop in the beginning, but I actually like it better than Lillum now. The Lillum Orb was really tedious to constantly monitor, so I enjoy the more hands off approach while still maintaining a sense of control.

-Silent Ludger is suuuper awkward. I can maybe see what they were trying to go for, but there had to be a better way than this.

-The story is pretty heavy at times, which I appreciate. I've also enjoyed what I've done of the character stories.

Animekatt

I'm really enjoying this game so far. Just made it to chapter 2. I really like Ludger, just wish he wasn't silent most of the time. He's also warming up to me in Emil's costume lol.

kewlmyc

It's not that he's even silent that weirds me out, it's the fact that he actively participates in conversation and actually does have a few lines that he randomly speaks. So sometimes he speaks and sometimes he doesn't. He's a silent protag, but he isn't. It's like they couldn't make up their mind as to have him be silent or not, so they picked both. Having his full voice unlocked after you start a new game is so odd that I can't think of why they would do it.

How bad in this game with missables? Anything I should keep on eye on?

The only real thing to not miss out on is the character quests but even then its only for one character and that's due to plot reasons.

And there's a dungeon or two that you can only visit once. Otherwise, not really.

All the quests are done via the job board and I haven't heard any of them with any real expiration dates.

There's nothing as bad as Abyss or Vesperia time limit for sidequests to say the least.

I thought the debt system would be interesting but it's really not.

So how the hell are you supposed to buy items and equipment upgrades if every time you get a nice amount of gald you have to pay the debt?

Vylash

lies dude

I felt incredibly shafted when EU got Atelier Escha like four days before me

totally unacceptable

i hear ya bro, i haven't forgiven them for that

I thought the debt system would be interesting but it's really not.

So how the hell are you supposed to buy items and equipment upgrades if every time you get a nice amount of gald you have to pay the debt?
do quests and take care of elite monsters, gald flows like water in this game so it isn't hard

i hear ya bro, i haven't forgiven them for that

do quests and take care of elite monsters, gald flows like water in this game so it isn't hard
Oh I know, getting money isn't hard, it's keeping it that's hard since once I get a nice amount of money the debt thing forces me to pay. I'm guessing it becomes easier as the game goes on if they increase the limit.

Seda

Played the bad ending last night. I won't spoil what it is, but it's really, really obvious where it is, and the game gives you many chances to avoid it.

It's a tough battle. (also the premise is a little ridiculous). You get titles (aka GRADE) and a trophy for doing it, and the game allows you to load up afterwards to continue on to the main quest. (in this sense, it is 'missable')

As for missable quests, I believe "Traces of Kinship" quests you want to do ASAP.

Oh I know, getting money isn't hard, it's keeping it that's hard since once I get a nice amount of money the debt thing forces me to pay. I'm guessing it becomes easier as the game goes on if they increase the limit.

Depending on how willing you are to stand Nova, you can easily pay as much or as little you want each time she pops up and bothers you.

So its more of a hassle of rejecting Nova than really holding onto your money for equips and stuff.

abrack08

Allium Orb is dumb as hell, super confusing and convoluted, should've just kept the Lillium Orb

I thought the Allium Orb was super confusing when it gives you the tutorial, but using it is actually really easy. You set which "extractor" you want on each character, gain "element ore" or whatever, and they learn the skills/artes listed to the side from top to bottom.

Top Bottom