• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Just finished the main story, this game was surely great, and as always, post game there is plenty to do. Really sad that this was the last game, were we see Jude and the others as important story characters.

Vylash

ugh, i don't get why they force me to have ludger as the leader for most of the game, what's the point? let me choose whatever leader i want, i really hate how they're forcing him down my throat

They got rid of Milla's unintentional lisp?! Noooooooooo.

Color me as the only person who liked it. I know it wasn't on purpose and due to bad recording but it amused me an enormous amount to have like, this Lord of Spirits just randomly have a lisp as a character trait.

A random thing but I'm seriously impressed by the fight choreography for the cut scenes. Someone put on their work pants for those.

They got rid of Milla's unintentional lisp?! Noooooooooo.

Color me as the only person who liked it. I know it wasn't on purpose and due to bad recording but it amused me an enormous amount to have like, this Lord of Spirits just randomly have a lisp as a character trait.

A random thing but I'm seriously impressed by the fight choreography for the cut scenes. Someone put on their work pants for those.
I liked it too, I had no problem with it. In fact I thought it was cute.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I liked it too, I had no problem with it. In fact I thought it was cute.

It's okay.

You can still put a mini stuffed Milla on everyone's shoulder to compensate. Then again the Sophie plushie is even more adorable so might need to mix and match.

Pics_nao

Jesus christ. 3 hours in and I'm just meeting Alvin. I wasn't expecting the debt to slow down progress this much. Also, is it just me or is the game much harder?

Jesus christ. 3 hours in and I'm just meeting Alvin. I wasn't expecting the debt to slow down progress this much. Also, is it just me or is the game much harder?
I was getting my ass handed to me by regular enemies(was playing on moderate) I promptly lowered the difficulty to normal.

DJwest

So is my man Gaius still badass in this ? Hope he plays an important role in the story and interacts well with the other party members.

I was getting my ass handed to me by regular enemies(was playing on moderate) I promptly lowered the difficulty to normal.
Much harder. Try doing the elite monsters from the job board on the hardest difficulty setting. Not fun.

At least there is no difficulty related trophy for this game.

ugh, i don't get why they force me to have ludger as the leader for most of the game, what's the point? let me choose whatever leader i want, i really hate how they're forcing him down my throat
You should be able to set who is your leader. Due to the plot, you won't be able to remove him, until much later into the game and use the others.

Teepo is still hilarious. :D

I eventually grew fond of all the characters in the first game which is rare for me in a jrpg, usually there's always someone I don't care for.
The skits, the lines at the end of battles, all those things helped a lot to make me like them.
The game had a good sense of humor.

Strange, I just met Alvin and did that dungeon he was at too and the debt system has only slowed me down maybe 10 minutes total. The 2 or 3 times it required a payment I just grabbed 5 monster kill quests, went outside down and killed them all in <5 minutes and made more than enough money to pay it.

RangerBAD

I really wish the stepping mechanic had been like Graces in this game. I'm not catching on to the new mechanics very easily.

Lady Gaia

Played an hour or two last night, just enough to get started. So far it lives up to my hopes for a completely off the wall JRPG where the plot isn't spoon fed, you're just dropped in the middle and left to fend for yourself. So far so good.

My main disappointment is the silent male protagonist. I appreciated having the option of playing Milla in the last game and feel much less connected to my avatar here. I doubt it will stop me from enjoying it, but it does seem like an unnecessary step backward.

ohlawd

this game has been a boring piece of shit until I unlocked teleporting to previously visited places

now I'm only half bored

I really wish the stepping mechanic had been like Graces in this game. I'm not catching on to the new mechanics very easily.

I do agree, I found the side step to be extremely awkward to actually do and kinda forgot about it as I got further along in the game.

I was probably too used to Graces and here it feels they ran out of buttons to map it too, lol

dorkkaos

I love Ludger's guns and dual swords, but I hate using the hammer.... It feels so slow and doesn't always combo well (even with the ability boost). Maybe I just suck?

I'm enjoying the game though, I wish the kitty dispatch was better, and the quest log was more informative and easier to access. I love getting lost in the questing haha.

RangerBAD

I do agree, I found the side step to be extremely awkward to actually do and kinda forgot about it as I got further along in the game.

I was probably too used to Graces and here it feels they ran out of buttons to map it too, lol

I'm not sure what they were thinking.

I guess the stagger move is used when the enemy has a blue exclamation mark above their heads? I'm pretty confused.

Xenoflare

Just finished Chapter 6, I'm enjoying this a lot more than I did for Xillia 1, and that didn't mean I disliked the first game.

Ludger is a lot of fun to use, the character episodes reminds me of
social links
(flame shield up)

It's really nice to see everyone is getting a healing skill so far. The debt system is not as annoying as I thought it would be.

PS: I'm pretty sure Ludger shares the voice actor with Ivar. What a dumb casting choice........

Threw me off it wasn't in xillia1 but I got used to eventually. Here I don't know why they'd make it L1 x and analog, that's way too much. I'll just get used to backstep and front steps again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
why did they bring the MUTTON FRESH MUTTON guy back

Also am I right in how the Allium Orb works, once you set the path it all just automates the rest as you fight, and you just change the element line when you want to get other skills and stuff? Basically seems like something you don't really have to look at or think about often.

Yuterald

My post probably got lost somewhere in the thread. How are the dungeons? Are they actually competent? Or is this another field romp?

Is it just me or do the bosses seem less cheap than they were in Xillia? A larger emphasis on the weakness system and a few other tweaks might be alleviating some of the annoyances from the first game.

That being said, the game definitely feels tougher than the original and the bosses seem to be more of a threat.

Xenoflare

Is it just me or do the bosses seem less cheap than they were in Xillia? A larger emphasis on the weakness system and a few other tweaks might be alleviating some of the annoyances from the first game.

That being said, the game definitely feels tougher than the original and the bosses seem to be more of a threat.

The new weakness/stun system remedies the problem where bosses in the first game is just impossible for stun unless you have a jacked up link meter or Alvin, but even with that quickly recover.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, "silent" Ludger is by far the weirdest thing about this game. He talks, but it's limited to "yeah" and "what?" and the like. So he's silent, but also... not. He clearly has a personality, as seen in the dialogue in the choices you make and in the diary. I can't fathom why they thought this was a good idea.

Loving everything else so far. The debt system isn't too too bad. Ludger is even more fun to use than Jude.

RangerBAD

Wow, "silent" Ludger is by far the weirdest thing about this game. He talks, but it's limited to "yeah" and "what?" and the like. So he's silent, but also... not. He clearly has a personality, as seen in the dialogue in the choices you make and in the diary. I can't fathom why they thought this was a good idea.

Loving everything else so far. The debt system isn't too too bad. Ludger is even more fun to use than Jude.

Wha? How can you hate lines like "...", "...?", "...!"?!

Before Xillia 2 came out I remember Namco talking about they wanted to evolve the sense of choice in the narrative and giving Ludger that avatar-ish quality was part of that.

I personally think that was a horrible idea because Xillia 2 is a direct sequel to a game with MCs that spoke and Tales is a series where character interaction is one of the main draws. Ludger makes skits very awkward.

kewlmyc

Note to self: Just because it's an early enemy doesn't mean you can beat it.

Veywind Eye handed me my ass. Stupid physical resistance.

Vylash

Note to self: Just because it's an early enemy doesn't mean you can beat it.

Veywind Eye handed me my ass. Stupid physical resistance.

yeah that was a long fight for me, enemies that don't let me pound them into paste with leia are the worst

also, word of advice, don't take on the elite monster in the xagut floodmeadow, don't make the same mistake i did

Pics_nao

Okay I'm confused about something. Just got to
Rieze Maxia and the game said it's a country on the other side of the ocean. Uh wasn't it shown to be a completely different world in Xillia?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Got the CE. Super satisfied with the steelcase since it's not like the garbage Dark Souls 2 ones. Fit both my Xillia copies in there and snugged them into the awesome Symphonia CE box. =)

Got my guide in tonight, CE's supposed to be in tomorrow.

(Although I'm leaving for the Distant Worlds concert in Chicago on Friday, so I won't be able to play the game till next week. x_x)

Sandfox

So I'm at the beginning of chapter 7 and one thing I'm expecting to be a major reveal at the end of the game is
Elle being Ludger's daughter. There are a ton of things hinting towards this(or at least I think so) and now I want it to happen.

they changed milla's voice oh my god this game is the worst

I think its the same, but the VO is doing the voice a bit lighter.

FSLink

Banned
Threw me off it wasn't in xillia1 but I got used to eventually. Here I don't know why they'd make it L1 x and analog, that's way too much. I'll just get used to backstep and front steps again.

It was in Xillia 1 as a skill "Assault Step". Same button combination as in Xillia 2 except you get it from the start, and in Xillia 1 it did an attack when you did it, whereas here it's just a movement option.

Just received my CE in the mail. Man this compact mirror is really cool looking but I wish it was a watch. :( Cool for people who'd use it I guess.

Top Bottom