• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

RalchAC

the game is out tomorrow in Europe. I pre-order stuff all the time but I don't recall if you get some fast delivering option or not on .co.uk, still every game I pre-ordered MONTHS before the release date has arrived in 1-2 days after the actual release date.

amazon already dispatched it and still, Delivery estimate: Thursday, 28 August 2014. - one more fucking week am i cry

tumblr_m1xjo6l6ll1rsm220o1_400.gif

Fucking shop4es has sent me an email this morning saying they've send the game today and I'm getting it in 3-7 working days.

So I feel your pain.

16 hours in about to speak to Gaius.

Alternate
Milla certainly has her VA doing a stronger job than the previous game, I think I like this Milla a lot more.

Finished Chapter 8 and paid off the debt to pass to Chapter 9.

I gotta say though,
linking with Gaius
makes combat in this game sooooo much better.

I can't wait until I get
his Arcane Arte so I can use Absolute Domination on everybody in this game.

And please tell me that
his final boss look from the first game is an unlockable bonus or something. Like, you people have no idea how happy I am that I get to play as this guy. How many JRPGs get a sequel where you can play as the final boss as part of the main story?!?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Btw...I keep on hearing you guys talking about this Traces of Kinship sidequest...when is it available? Since I haven't really seen it yet...

Its given by the quest giver guys in the cities. I just finished chapter 7 and picked it up.

I gotta say though,
linking with Gaius

I can't wait until I get

And please tell me that
his final boss look from the first game is an unlockable bonus or something. Like, you people have no idea how happy I am that I get to play as this guy. How many JRPGs get a sequel where you can play as the final boss as part of the main story?!?

Yes, same thing applies to Muzett too.

Mik317

I bailed out of the first game due to not liking the cast that much, and my ps3 dying.

This one looks interesting especially since the plot is supposedly better.

any recaps of the first one available? Wikipedia is sparse..

Nevermind found on via the Playstation Youtube.

I bailed out of the first game due to not liking the cast that much, and my ps3 dying.

This one looks interesting especially since the plot is supposedly better.

any recaps of the first one available? Wikipedia is sparse.

I believe Bamco put a video recap on YouTube. Its 6 mins long or so, and it tells you pretty much everything major that matters going into this game

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Got my copy and it's a plastic case...
I thought all first print copies in Europe were day one editions with steelbooks but I guess not.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I gotta say though,
linking with Gaius

I can't wait until I get

And please tell me that

You also get the sword.

My collectors edition came last night, its really freaking nice glad I went yolo and got it

I know rite? I love the pocketwatch.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started up the first game as Jude. Put a few hours in and its not bad. So much of the advanced battle mechanics are a bit over my head right now though. Possibly because they tutorialize you on so much, but provide very poor selections of foes in the early hours to really train you on managing all these link arts and whatnot.

Actually kind of annoying how it keeps reminding m e to adjust my strategy for the AI and switch my team links to take advantage of enemy weaknesses, but everything dies way too fast from a few punches and the majority of enemies are fodder that have no suggested links.

Maybe in a few hours it will all gel better.

If there's something that I like about Tales of is that new mechanics are introduced throughout the entire game. Not only does this keep things fresh, it also doesn't overwhelm you with the amount of stuff that you can do in the game.

K.N.W.

Totally loved the first game for the characters and the happy mood, I'll buy this tomorrow if someone can confirm me that the conversations are still silly and light-hearted as in the first game!! (Sorry if the answer is obvious, but Tales of Sillia is the only Tales Of game I played, so I don't know if silly conversations are main part of the series =) )

Totally loved the first game for the characters and the happy mood, I'll buy this tomorrow if someone can confirm me that the conversations are still silly and light-hearted as in the first game!! (Sorry if the answer is obvious, but Tales of Sillia is the only Tales Of game I played, so I don't know if silly conversations are main part of the series =) )

Yes, those funny conversations are present in all Tales games :), and yeah they are still funny as in ToX1 so do not worry.

Quit while you're ahead and find another Tales game, there's only crushed dreams and despair to be found in Xillia 2.

Vylash

they're still funny, yeah

Altogether I find the script to be much better in the 2nd one. Funnier then Xillia 2 when it want to be funny, but also more serious and grounded when it needs to be as well. It's a pretty good mix, and it works well.

Zafir

Started up the first game as Jude. Put a few hours in and its not bad. So much of the advanced battle mechanics are a bit over my head right now though. Possibly because they tutorialize you on so much, but provide very poor selections of foes in the early hours to really train you on managing all these link arts and whatnot.

Actually kind of annoying how it keeps reminding m e to adjust my strategy for the AI and switch my team links to take advantage of enemy weaknesses, but everything dies way too fast from a few punches and the majority of enemies are fodder that have no suggested links.

Maybe in a few hours it will all gel better.
You may want to turn the difficulty up to Moderate. Moderate is the old Normal pretty much.

K.N.W.

Yes, those funny conversations are present in all Tales games :), and yeah they are still funny as in ToX1 so do not worry.

they're still funny, yeah

Thank you I'm totally getting it tomorrow !!!!

Quit while you're ahead and find another Tales game, there's only crushed dreams and despair to be found in Xillia 2.

..... How will this game crush my dreams?? But yeah, I'll try other Tales games ASAP =)

Just beat chapter 1. Knew the game would be darker than usual, but I wasn't expected to be greeted with
a train with dead children in depressing positions alongside their parents or anyone else that tried to protect them.
Heavy stuff.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
..... How will this game crush my dreams?? But yeah, I'll try other Tales games ASAP =)

The overall tone of the game is much darker. It's still pretty funny at times but there is some heavy stuff compared to other tales games.

Zafir

Man, the money thing is really rubbish design. When you give money to unlock the chapter it seems to want the same amount again even though you don't need to unlock a chapter. The worst part? It randomly pops up asking you to pay it and sometimes it doesn't even let you exit out, effectively forcing you to give at least 1 gald to get out of the damn screen.

Edit: Omg, she's actually popping up every time I go into a new area or loot something. It's like the game is punishing me for doing the side quests instead of the main story mission I ALREADY unlocked.

Xenoflare

Man, the money thing is really rubbish design. When you give money to unlock the chapter it seems to want the same amount again even though you don't need to unlock a chapter. The worst part? It randomly pops up asking you to pay it and sometimes it doesn't even let you exit out, effectively forcing you to give at least 1 gald to get out of the damn screen.

Edit: Omg, she's actually popping up every time I go into a new area or loot something. It's like the game is punishing me for doing the side quests instead of the main story mission I ALREADY unlocked.

This is extremely annoying, because I thought that if you cannot exit you must pay the debt, and when I did the game tells me to pick up cat food in my mailbox.

She will call you as long as your money is above the payment line. Extremely annoying. What I do now is to buy a lot of expendable items and I don't report the sidequest unless I really need the money.

Zafir

This is extremely annoying, because I thought that if you cannot exit you must pay the debt, and when I did the game tells me to pick up cat food in my mailbox.

She will call you as long as your money is above the payment line. Extremely annoying. What I do now is to buy a lot of expendable items and I don't report the sidequest unless I really need the money.
Well, she seems to call once when you go above the next payment amount and won't call you again for a while. It seems like either after so much in game time has passed, or you go over 2x the amount that's when she'll keep calling. So bloody annoying that I'm having to give her 1 gald every time I loot something or enter a new area. I've been forced to just continue along with the main story. Though even through that she's still constantly popping up. :I

Xenoflare

Just beat chapter 1. Knew the game would be darker than usual, but I wasn't expected to be greeted with
a train with dead children in depressing positions alongside their parents or anyone else that tried to protect them.
Heavy stuff.

I actually love it, not because it's "2edgy4me"-ness but because the usual tales of games doesn't really have this much of an emotional impact, especially with
Alternate Milla.

Abyss and Destiny did it with Luke and Leon, which was fine, but it doesn't compared to the
streaks of dying characters you see in Xillia 2, the game made sure to make the players feel shitty

I would say that Xillia 2 is definitely darker than any of the previous entries.

Xenoflare

Well, she seems to call once when you go above the next payment amount and won't call you again for a while. It seems like either after so much in game time has passed, or you go over 2x the amount that's when she'll keep calling. So bloody annoying that I'm having to give her 1 gald every time I loot something or enter a new area. I've been forced to just continue along with the main story. Though even through that she's still constantly popping up. :I

I had around 90,000 gald and the payment line was 70,000. She won't stop calling, she will call every time when I change the location, pick up gald in chests and battles.

and no, this happened within a main chapter, meaning I didn't have to pay for unlocking travel options.

I wish Nova and Vera can be fought as optional bosses, because it would be so stress reliving. One who cannot stop yapping and another who just loves to call at the worst times and pretty much devoid of all emotions

Zafir

I had around 90,000 gald and the payment line was 70,000. She won't stop calling, she will every time I change the location, pick up gald in chests and battles.

and no, this happened within a main chapter, meaning I didn't have to pay for unlocking travel options.

Must be some kind of in game timer then. Really poor design either way. =/

Paches

Loving the game so far, only thing I really dislike is the quiet protagonist. The grunts and the choice system are not good at all compared to just a typical voice acted character.

Xenoflare

Must be some kind of in game timer then. Really poor design either way. =/

It's retarded, because you can actually cancel for some of the calls and you can't for these. This is really, really dumb.

Fortunately the elite monsters are very rewarding, I haven't run into money problems yet...

Also, which city sells the higher tiered healing items?
I'm in Chapter 9 and the stores still only carry apple/orange gels.

Zafir

I think it's more complicated than time actually. I bought some items and she disappeared for a bit. Then found some gald in a chest and now she's calling every battle/loot/area change again. SIGH.

Pancakes

I think it's more complicated than time actually. I bought some items and she disappeared for a bit. Then found some gald in a chest and now she's calling every battle/loot/area change again. SIGH.

If you're dead broke or below 20%ish of the amount due, she will very rarely bother you. If you're 80%-150% of what's due she will spam you.

Seda

Right, if you are above a certain amount of Gald, Nova /will/ call you nonstop. Best to buy some items or put a dent in the debt - to lower the amount of gald you have on hand. Unless you want to deal with calls all the time.

RangerBAD

Well, I beat
Volt
on Hard. Ended up at level 15 and only Ludger and Elize survived. Rapid Burst is a must for the djinns and just for spamming. Also, need to link with Alvin (which I figured out during my attempts yesterday since he breaks guards). Link Arte of choice is Mortar Fire.

Verder

Oh shit chapter 12 is nuts.

Especially when
ludger straight up bitched nova out about the debt when he technically just killed himself.

My wife is fighting against Ivar with the hammer, but it is only doing 1 one point damage, per hit and they are power hits. Is this a glitch or something? Anyone have the same problem?

I switched to Moderate last night, its not too hard but why do I easily stun bosses and get them basically stuck where they can't get out of it? Lol. About chapter 3 or 4, I'm sure real harder bosses will come, I just thought it was funny.

My wife is fighting against Ivar with the hammer, but it is only doing 1 one point damage, per hit and they are power hits. Is this a glitch or something? Anyone have the same problem?
Is Ivar weak against the hammer? He's usually the tutorial guy for different weapons, so try the guns or dual blades if you have them.

Without anyone spoiling anything, I played Xillia and enjoyed it, but found the story a bit lacking. Is the story in this better? I read some reviews and they say it is and that it has a darker tone, but I want some of your guys opinions.

ohlawd

Do you say Symphonia 1 because it's the best introduction or because it's the worst?
ah I see where you're going with this.

best intro to Tales... I guess it is because it's out of date compared to newer entries in regards to the battle system so dude has nowhere to go but up after playing it.

but I wasn't going for that. I just went from best Tales game on PS3 to worst. Man, I freaking hated Graces F hahahah..

Seda

Okay now that I've beaten the game and currently well into post-game content, I just wanted to write up a few thoughts. No spoilers and I'll try to stay relatively brief.

The copy-pasted field areas in the first Tales of Xillia were very disappointing to me. The game was structured so that you initiate some story scene, then traverse what is essentially an arena to fight battles to get to the next story scene, with very little to do outside of battle other than click X on various chests and loot spots. There were very few dungeon areas, and those were often straightforward as well. So having to re-traverse those areas again, sometimes more than once due to the [light spoiler]
fractured worlds
wasn't exactly thrilling. I tend to appreciate dungeon design that has me do /something/ other than fighting mobs, whether it's navigating a maze or solving a puzzle, but the Xillia series doesn't really have any of that at all. Not to mention everything visually looks the same, which is uninteresting. So the reusing assets criticism is definitely something I agree with, especially considering what was being 'used' in the first was already recycled.

However, the battle system in Xillia was good enough to get me through the game, and Xillia 2 plays very similarly of course. Some of the characters were tweaked considerably but all in all, as with most Tales games, I'm having fun trying out the different characters and learning how to play them effectively. I haven't really gotten to the arena yet, which will really force me to get the hang of the differing styles. Xillia 2 has a higher emphasis on weaknesses, which does add a small aspect to keep in mind as you approach battles. Bosses were sometimes a little frustrating, but usually turning the difficulty down to normal was enough to compensate. Perhaps not as intricate or deliberate as Tales of Graces, but I think the Xillia system is quite enjoyable in its own right.

The debt system never really felt too intrusive to me. I tended to take on giganto monsters when possible, and did some of the easier quests, and I typically had more than enough keep Nova happy and keep my item stocks up. I've seen some criticism that this system was a significant barrier to progress, or significant padding but I never really felt that as gald was so easy to come by. I did appreciate how equipment "synthesis" was brought back - elemental weapons especially are very useful, and worthwhile to take some time to collect components for. Also no longer having to sell items to grind shop levels is welcome.

The post-game seems quite improved over Xillia. Many gigant monsters return, and some are clearly way too powerful to take on right away. Looking forward to going through the EX dungeon and gaining new equipment and levels to take them out.

As for the narrative elements, I'm bad at discussing these, but it took a loooong time for anything to gain even a little bit of my attention. Many of the Xillia characters felt superficially attached to what was happening, and felt like they didn't need to be a part of the cast at all (even doing the character quests). And then we learn our goal is to collect plot coupons (waymarkers) to get to magical mcguffin land, all the while trying to impose some moral angle to
alternate worlds
, I just couldn't care at all. The end of the chapter 11 and through chapter 12 were finally some party dynamics that were worth paying attention to, but then after that I felt ending game elements got more and more trite. Even as someone who is typically a sucker for the 'brotherhood' motif, the relationship between Julius and Ludger didn't grab me either. Perhaps if Ludger had a personality and could speak in more than just grunts, maybe.

So, in the end, if you liked Xillia's battle system, and didn't mind the field areas, you'll probably like Xillia 2. I think things like how shops work and more post-game content are definitely big plusses. I guess your mileage may vary on the debt/quest systems depending on how much you like to stray from the main storyline to gather things or just to experiment around in battle.

demidar

ah I see where you're going with this.

best intro to Tales... I guess it is because it's out of date compared to newer entries in regards to the battle system so dude has nowhere to go but up after playing it.

but I wasn't going for that. I just went from best Tales game on PS3 to worst. Man, I freaking hated Graces F hahahah..

Huh, because my list would be the complete reverse.

Graces f > Xillia > Symphonia 1 (haven't played Symphonia 2)

NegativeCero should just play Vesperia instead if he got the ability to
because it's all downhill after that lolol

NegativeCero should just play Vesperia instead if he got the ability to
because it's all downhill after that lolol

I really want to, but the definitive version never got localized if I remember right. I suppose I can go grab the 360 version if the PS3 version is never getting brought over.

Top Bottom