• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

So I just finished chapter 7 and really not feeling it. I'm not entirely sure why but so many things seem off about this game.

I mean, its objectively better than Xillia 1, but I like it considerably less.

I think its a combination of the characters just kind of "being there" other than Ludger/Elle/Julius and many frustrations with the content walls. Its easy to say "just go hunt a gigantos" but its still quite frustrating and insulting of my time.

The silent protag thing is also killing it for me. Normally I don't care, but Tales games usually have a lot of great character interactions. Since Ludger basically says nothing the skits feel really off.

The gameplay is fine in-battle, but the rest of the game is just kinda meh. I absolutely cannot stand how much backtracking there is. The fast travel helps, but having to go through the same areas again via a plot device
yay demensional crap
is frustrating since they were never interesting even in Xillia 1.

/rant

MSMrRound

The silent protag thing is also killing it for me. Normally I don't care, but Tales games usually have a lot of great character interactions. Since Ludger basically says nothing the skits feel really off.

You can unlock his voice for New Game+. All of his choices, skits etc will be voiced.

R0ckman

I'm indifferent on Elle. However, that's a positive if anything. I'm renownedly intolerant of children in jrpgs.

That's really weird, she's honestly the worst Tales child to me and I've played them all. Really bratty voice, attitude, smart mouthed. She's the cliche of these characters.

So I just finished chapter 7 and really not feeling it. I'm not entirely sure why but so many things seem off about this game.

I mean, its objectively better than Xillia 1, but I like it considerably less.

I think its a combination of the characters just kind of "being there" other than Ludger/Elle/Julius and many frustrations with the content walls. Its easy to say "just go hunt a gigantos" but its still quite frustrating and insulting of my time.

The gameplay is fine in-battle, but the rest of the game is just kinda meh. I absolutely cannot stand how much backtracking there is. The fast travel helps, but having to go through the same areas again via a plot device
yay demensional crap
is frustrating since they were never interesting even in Xillia 1.

/rant

I agree about the addition of the old characters. It's like they have nothing better to do so they tag along. I like to believe its because only a year has passed so they aren't fully settled from the events of the last game, but eh.

Zafir

Oddly enough I also 'tolerated'(Used loosely, I wasn't a fan of her) Anise as well. I can tolerate the bratty smart arse kid stereotype over the overly energetic annoying kid stereotype(Karol, twins in both Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery), I think.

Finalow

Even the skits? That's the first time I've heard anyone mention his skits will be voiced too. That's great news.
what's even the point of having it only in ng+, I don't get it.
I mean, I understand that they probably wanted to add something for the ng+ and add some replay value, but they could have thought of something better. if you want to "enjoy his voice" you have to play the whole game again. meh.

SaintZ

>hating on Elle, pls

Anise was the only good thing about Abyss
WTF, no she's not. Emperor Peony was the best thing about that game.

Elle's voice is indeed awful during the skits and in game cutscenes but when there's anime cutscenes I don't mind her that much. And she is less annoying as the games goes on I think.

MSMrRound

After a while, Elle can be alright.

That in-battle quotes though...that's another different matter.

"Try shooting it!"

"Try slashing it!"

"Try striking it!"

The new "sharing is caring" !?

I mean, I understand that they probably wanted to add something for the ng+ and add some replay value, but they could have thought of something better. if you want to "enjoy his voice" you have to play the whole game again. meh.

It is dumb, that's why I grabbed a clear save online before starting so I could play it voiced the first time through. I think I'd like Ludger much less if he was silent.

I'm not a fan how Elle is the mouthpiece for Ludger. Since she even appears in his status screen image, I guess she's around for the entire story :/

Yazuka

Yeah, I don't get it either. I think it is a damn stupid decision from Bandai Namco's side. Hopefully they won't do something like this with the main characters and voices again.

MSMrRound

Yeah, I don't get it either. I think it is a damn stupid decision from Bandai Namco's side.

It's more of Hideo Baba's decision. Meh. I would like my protagonist voiced as well, but I guess he's open to experimenting here and there. They can't keep the voices out forever since the female fanbase of Tales Of generally love the male protagonists and the voice actors that voiced them. They are very popular during the Tales Of Festival.

If the Tales Of fanbase are generally against the idea after trying it once, I don't think he will be inclined to pull the same thing again.

"Hideo: In Tales of Xillia 2, I would like players to be able to reflect themselves into the main character, so I felt we could achieve this by removing the voice of the main character and by introducing the choice system. This is why I removed the voice. But actually, even in Japan, some of the players appreciate listening to the voice overs in the game. In the first round, I like players to enjoy the game under the conditions we want to describe. In the second round, there are so many people who want to hear the voice overs and I think they can enjoy the second playthrough with different impressions and feelings."

Taken from "http://www.mcmbuzz.com/2014/05/26/interview-with-hideo-baba-designer-and-producer-of-tales-of-xillia-2/"

Is there anyway to check what jobs I'm on without going to town to see the job board? Getting sick of needing more info on them that I've forgotten but I can't find them in the menu.

Xenoflare

Ugh, why does the game keep blocking off characters during the main story. So annoying.

You can only have 4 people with you, meaning you can't swap the members

But benched characters will still receive aillum orb points and exp, so don't worry too much.

ohlawd

k I got two more endings, normal and true? that's what it feels like to me

normal ending spoils
who is this Lana chick? I think they mentioned her before...

ohlawd

She is supposedly Elle's mother, in Victor's timeline at least.
yeah I know that but like.. who is she? is she really just a random girl who Ludger took a fancy to?

not exactly random but business partners at least. I was expecting more lol

edit: oh wait, doesn't Elle introduce herself using her full name? oh man guess that's all there was to it. so Ludger went running because the girl he was meeting had Elle's last name and she must be her mom... or will be her mom

Xenoflare

Wow, Chromatus has to be the most broken thing I've seen in a Tales game

And it's so goddamn cool

It's basically Devil Trigger.

People weren't kidding when they said Ludger is Dante.

Mystic Artes actually do damages now, cool.

Magic attacks are finally not useless, I remember I was flabbergasted on how the magic attacks are so weak. (Except Rowen's fireball and tidal wave)

Uthred

Is there a full list of what DLC we can expect for this game? (Still a shame the Code Geass and Star Driver costumes never got localised)

Is there a full list of what DLC we can expect for this game? (Still a shame the Code Geass and Star Driver costumes never got localised)

We surprisingly got the sports DLC this week.

There is still the cameo, school, swimsuit for the new playable cast members of this game.

There should also be more attachments (more hats, elemental spirits) as well.

And that's about it. We probably won't get the Code Geass Akito costumes nor the Madoka costumes either.

Holy crap at the Chapter 10 boss. Worst designed boss battle I've ever experienced in a Tales game.

All you can do is basically gunspam him because he hits so hard at close range and permanently enters a mode later on where he resists all attributes. You gotta use Chromatis to actually inflict damage on him. Rinse and repeat while dodging his attacks and then you win.

I don't know why I wasted all my life bottles since soloing him seemed like the only solution.

PKrockin

Ludger being kind-of-silent-but-not-entirely isn't nearly as awkward as everyone made it out to be. Besides, if it guarantees we don't get another protagonist like Asbel, I'm all for it.

Nova seems to not give a single fuck that her friend(?/classmate?) just got saddled with a 20 million glad debt, on top of what's going on with his brother.

Xenoflare

No huge role, but yes.

Ludger being kind-of-silent-but-not-entirely isn't nearly as awkward as everyone made it out to be. Besides, if it guarantees we don't get another protagonist like Asbel, I'm all for it.

Nova seems to not give a single fuck that her friend(?/classmate?) just got saddled with a 20 million glad debt, on top of what's going on with his brother.

As I said earlier, a shame that you can't beat her and Vera as optional bosses.
and why the hell those two would be in the true ending picture near the end of the credits, totally ruined a good photo

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
my fetish for sidequests is really killing my progress

Haha, that's how I feel so far. I keep wanting to completely clear the board of all the missions even if I have to go around one shotting weak enemies.

The game sure opens up a lot after dripfeeding towards Rieza Maxia, I'm really liking the focus on weaknesses.

Well... based on playing only through ch.7: Combat, the meat of the gameplay, is considerably better overall than Xillia 1 with the weakness system, multiple weapons, and over all better link system. Also there is simply more to do, more akin to the other tales of games. Xillia 1 was very "light" on anything interesting outside of the main story.

So from a "game" standpoint I'd say its better, but it falls flat on its face with other aspects like story and characterization.

Top Bottom