• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

So I just started playing today. Loving the game so far. I'm only a couple hours in, and I made my first payment on the debt. Every time I go to a save point, a little message pops up that says "Battle Member Information" or something, and it has a pic of Jude and Ludger. I'm assuming it wants me to look at something on one of the menus before it goes away, but what?

It's going to pop up every time you're about to enter an area where you can't switch your party members, to remind you who's on the team right now in case you forgot to change them out.

oh. That's not irritating at all.

I was more concerned about it being something I was supposed to check but wasn't. If it's supposed to do that, then all is well, I guess.

17 hours in, just finished chapter 10. Damn, every chapter that goes by,
things get darker and darker and more conflicting too, making me question this whole destroying worlds thing.
I feel like shit is going to go down reaaaaal soon lol.

ohlawd

you guys just clearing all dem elites?

I only did like half of them. Didn't touch the ones with 60k or more cuz damn, lottery skill is 2gud4me

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I only did like half of them. Didn't touch the ones with 60k or more cuz damn, lottery skill is 2gud4me

It's not about the money. it's about sending a message.

Zafir

I was doing them as they popped up, but I think I'm going to have to stop, else the annoying woman'll just phone me non-stop again. Really hate the loan system. >.<

Searched for it in the thread, but didn't see the question get answered. So is the encounter link present in this game? I've been trying to group monsters together to fight, but it only lets me fight 1 while the other vanishes after the battle.

Do encounter links start happening later or something?

Vylash

Searched for it in the thread, but didn't see the question get answered. So is the encounter link present in this game? I've been trying to group monsters together to fight, but it only lets me fight 1 while the other vanishes after the battle.

they exist, you're just not doing it right

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I found it only lets you start doing links around chapter 2 or 3. Besides that, check to make sure you don't have the skill that blocks linking.

they exist, you're just not doing it right

I'll just keep trying then. Once I get it the first time, I'll have the hang of it.

I found it only lets you start doing links around chapter 2 or 3. Besides that, check to make sure you don't have the skill that blocks linking.

Maybe I do? I haven't checked what skills I've been equipping, since I had so much SP when I looked into it. Encounter linking is something I always did in past Tales Of games. It's really good for leveling and getting rid of monsters fast.

Verder

After game is over does anyone else feel
they can continue with a tales of xillia 3? They mention reincarnation so with the true ending being canon ludger could possibly come back?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I genuinely felt like everything was right in the world when I heard the words "Mutton! Fresh Mutton!" uttered again in this game. I mean, it was kinda annoying in Xillia 1, but now it's somehow endearing.

Sequels are weird, man.

I genuinely felt like everything was right in the world when I heard the words "Mutton! Fresh Mutton!" uttered again in this game. I mean, it was kinda annoying in Xillia 1, but now it's somehow endearing.

Sequels are weird, man.

I'm surprised it made a return. I'm not sure if I'm happy about it.

Vylash

Sequels are weird, man.

when i got to Sharilton and i heard those 3 beautiful words, i cried tears of joy

At about what point in the game do you get
Milla, Muzet and Gaius
? I'm about 5-6hrs in so far and have all the other party members.

aravuus

Ludger being kind-of-silent-but-not-entirely isn't nearly as awkward as everyone made it out to be. Besides, if it guarantees we don't get another protagonist like Asbel, I'm all for it.

Nova seems to not give a single fuck that her friend(?/classmate?) just got saddled with a 20 million glad debt, on top of what's going on with his brother.

Yeah, it's far better than I feared it was gonna be from the overly negative impressions. I don't mine half-mute Ludger at all although I still regret not downloading a clear save and just playing with his voice on a bit.

fedexpeon

Banned
Man the Gald debt+Sidequests+Enemy data are killing my progress.
I am so busy grinding that I don't care because the gameplay is soooo good.
I miss playing a Tales game.

At about what point in the game do you get
Milla, Muzet and Gaius
? I'm about 5-6hrs in so far and have all the other party members.

I'm about 5 hours in myself. I just beat
Evil Rowan
and I'm level 15. I get so friggin sidetracked by the optional jobs and end up grinding on the way to and from.

I'm about 5 hours in myself. I just beat
Evil Rowan
and I'm level 15. I get so friggin sidetracked by the optional jobs and end up grinding on the way to and from.

I know that feeling. It seems like I've been grinding a lot but it's so easy to do with the way they implemented the side quests.

aravuus

Ahaha, the cutscene where Ludger and the party hear about
the Keys of Kresnik from the bossman whose name I can't remember
has the weirdest sudden changes of tone I've probably ever seen in a JRPG. They go from
dark and mysterious to the bossman going "oh is the little lady's tummy rumbly heehee"
in a goddamn second lmao

Finalow

to be honest, unless some battle challenges are insane, the platinum doesn't seem too much different or harder than Xillia's platinum.

I can already feel the boring grinding for every ability trophy. yes, those abilities that I'll never use during the whole game.

to be honest, unless some battle challenges are insane, the platinum doesn't seem too much different or harder than Xillia's platinum.

I can already feel the boring grinding for every ability trophy. yes, those abilities that I'll never use during the whole game.
There is one to complete all battle challenges. A couple of them require each different element during a chain. Another requires a 9 chain arte combo/linked arte and finished off with a Mystic Arte or dual linked Mystic Arte which requires max affinity with that character. :p

Finalow

There is one to complete all battle challenges. A couple of them require each different element during a chain. Another requires a 9 chain arte combo/linked arte and finished off with a Mystic Arte or dual linked Mystic Arte which requires max affinity with that character. :p
yes, I was referring to that gold trophy. not sure how hard is to get that 9 chain combo but you need max affinity with all the characters anyway.

Finished yesterday at 43 hours. It took me longer than I expected, although I did spend a few hours maxing affinity for my main party (Alvin, Leia and Muzet). I'm a bit bummed about all of the recycled content, but I still had a blast. Definitely liked it better than the first Xillia.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
So was there any reason to make it some some attachments could be edited and some could not. I am finding some attachments I had played around with in Xillia I can no longer change positions or size or edit and it find that weird. Also it seems you can't have more than one hair based attachment on at the same time and I find that weird as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been catching up by finally playing Xillia 1 and am a bit into Act 2 with nearly 20 hours on the clock(using a sub event guide to avoid missables, which is extending playtime a LOT since I am constantly backtracking and warping about to complete them as they appear).

Wasn't really feeling the game much until about 10 hours deep into Act 1. The biggest problem is that it took a good while before the systems and mechanics made a bit more sense until my party leveled and earned a variety of skill artes. The game tutorializes you so early on everything, but there is seriopus growing pains as you just aren't equipped to really do much until later. Game left me feeling like I was playing wrong since I can't combo or link chains as the tooltips describe. Add in that the game is kind of easy, at least on normal or moderate, so everything dies in a few hits before you can really get a feel for how to properly manage offensive and defensive play. Mostly link artes were a real drag since it takes a good while before unlocking a decent number to actually link them as the game expects of you(outside of Milla and Jude which have way more options than any other team combo).

Characters have really grown on me as well and I mostly love the writing! A lot of witty jokes and personality, plus outside of Elize and Teepo, there hasn't been an overburdening of "friendship = key to victory" speeches or conversations that usually pervades all the worst written jRPG's. Narrative just feels a bit more grounded than usual despite the ridiculous world building and naming conventions(Lance of Kreshnik, Spyrix, blah, blah, blah).

Kind of like that everything is scaled to your characters as well, you don't feel represented as a chibi walking tall among trees, fences, etc. I know people hate the environments, but I kind of dig the more natural perspective shift and all the climbing, crawling, and shift to a 3rd person camera setup. Some of the larger dungeons cropping up have been a joy to explore and uncover secrets within, the major locations seem to improve more and more as I progress over the mostly tame early game settings.

Still don't find the combat or progression systems as well done as past games, but I'm liking the wit and personal writing enough to keep going, possibly even try to platinum before moving onto Xillia 2.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ahaha, the cutscene where Ludger and the party hear about
the Keys of Kresnik from the bossman whose name I can't remember
has the weirdest sudden changes of tone I've probably ever seen in a JRPG. They go from
dark and mysterious to the bossman going "oh is the little lady's tummy rumbly heehee"
in a goddamn second lmao

Just hit this scene, and yup, that was odd.

Top Bottom