• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Caster characters would be much more fun to play as if they the AI wasn't set to rush the player's character and ignore the NPCs.

Elize as a NPC = wrecking everyone with death spells of death.
Elize as PC = chump that gets obliterated without even getting a cast off.

For anyone who has played star ocean 4, is the sidestep in this game like the blindside system in that game? (You slip behind the enemy and they lose track of you for a moment while you counterattack freely?) If not, can you explain the sidestep?

RangerBAD

For anyone who had played star ocean 4, is the sidestep in this game like the blindside system in that game? (You slip behind the enemy and they lose track of you for a moment while you counterattack freely?) If not, can you explain the sidestep?

It's just for evasion.

ohlawd

I don't know what's worse, killing children or planting pre-killed children. Either way Exodus is fucked in the head.
I was going for mannequins that could pass for real children. employ some of that high level spirit artes

guys, I think demidar is a member of Exodus

Xenoflare

Finall got
Milla Maxwell back, and her voice definitely improved, hearing with my own ears in game is a bit different than YouTube

26 hours in, I can safely say that I enjoyed this a lot better than the original Xillia.

FSLink

Banned
Clearly :)

I guess I'm asking is it a clean evade where if you time it right you won't take damage or just another form of movement where attacks will still hit you if you're within their radius(no invincibility frames)

It's not like Star Ocean 4's, no, it's just another form of movement. But it can move you behind an enemy for a counter attack.

PKrockin

Clearly :)

I guess I'm asking is it a clean evade where if you time it right you won't take damage or just another form of movement where attacks will still hit you if you're within their radius(no invincibility frames)
I vaguely recall the tutorial mentioning you resist staggering while sidestepping. Other than that no, I believe if a hitbox touches you, you still take damage. In Graces it did work the way you're describing, where as long as you input the correct quick step direction with precise timing you would dodge the attack whether the hitbox touched you or not. Not Xillia/2 though.

It's not like Star Ocean 4's, no, it's just another form of movement. But it can move you behind an enemy for a counter attack.

I vaguely recall the tutorial mentioning you resist staggering while sidestepping. Other than that no, I believe if a hitbox touches you, you still take damage. It did work the way you're describing in Graces though, where as long as you input the correct quick step direction with precise timing you would dodge the attack whether the hitbox touched you or not.
Thanks to the both of you!

ohlawd

dont let them see you cry :(((

That delivery was perfect
My favorite character episode

I made separate save files for Muzet's stuff... except episode 1. Tempted to bumrush the 2nd run just so I can have a file for that.

no theater mode unless I missed it D:

Heyt

Banned
Just reached Fenmont and did Muzét's Chapter #1. How much of the game remains? I really really want it to last for a while.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh my god, the Labari Hollow elite monster.

It just kept multiplying, again and again and again. Took forever to take this asshole down.

Taruranto

Is it just me or the bosses are much harder than Xillia 1? I'm also kinda shit at controlling Ludger, to many moves and modes to keep track of. x_x

Holy crap at that Chapter 12.

I'm prety sure this kind of plot twist has been done to death, but damn did I not see it coming here.

But a couple questions.

How exactly did Alt Ludger send Elle and himself to the Prime Dimension? And for that matter, if two things can't exist in the Prime Dimension at the same time, then how exactly was Alt Ludger able to actually exist in the Prime Dimension in the first place? Did he never go there at all? Did he somehow only send Elle there by herself? If that's the case, then why did he tell her to go on the train in the opening? Was it because he knew Ludger would be there because the Prime Dimension took place in the past? But did he know that the train would be attacked as well? If that was the case, why didn't he send her somewhere safe like his own apartment or something?

This father sure has a lot of faith that his younger self would do everything in his power to protect a girl he never met in his life. Pretty dumb plan.

I want to grind but I'm waiting to get Muzet and Gaiuss since I want both of them in my final party.

Patience. Take your time and level. The more you do that, the higher the level Muzet and Gaius will start at when you get them. If you're having a hard time with bosses now, you're definitely pushing through the game too quickly.

Pics_nao

Oh my god, the Labari Hollow elite monster.

It just kept multiplying, again and again and again. Took forever to take this asshole down.

Yeah. I had to lower the difficulty on that one. It doesn't help that I was underleveled and didn't save in a while

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Holy crap at that Chapter 12.

I'm prety sure this kind of plot twist has been done to death, but damn did I not see it coming here.

But a couple questions.

How exactly did Alt Ludger send Elle and himself to the Prime Dimension? And for that matter, if two things can't exist in the Prime Dimension at the same time, then how exactly was Alt Ludger able to actually exist in the Prime Dimension in the first place? Did he never go there at all? Did he somehow only send Elle there by herself? If that's the case, then why did he tell her to go on the train in the opening? Was it because he knew Ludger would be there because the Prime Dimension took place in the past? But did he know that the train would be attacked as well? If that was the case, why didn't he send her somewhere safe like his own apartment or something?

This father sure has a lot of faith that his younger self would do everything in his power to protect a girl he never met in his life. Pretty dumb plan.
The Chapter 12
twist
was the highlight of the game for me, but yeah, all of your questions raise good points and aren't ever really answered.

Finished this earlier today. As trivial as it sounds, I think silent Ludger killed the game for me. I love the battle system, Ludger's fighting style, the new costumes, the debt system wasn't even that bad, quests/jobs were pretty fun. The overall plot was interesting, but I have issues with the way it was told. None of the Xillia characters ever feel like they have a real reason to be there, especially Gaius and Muzet, and Julius
missing for most of the game, even after his "wanted criminal" plotline basically expires
ends up being problematic. Ludger and Julius supposedly had the ideal brotherly relationship, but Silent McGee makes it incredibly unbelievable. In fact, Ludger's importance in general is pretty unbelievable, because he's halfway between a blank slate and a character, so it's hard to care about or become attached to him, and especially to believe that he loves Julius
and Elle, who he has no reason to be attached to until Chapter 12, and even then his sudden affection towards her seems unnatural
the way that he's insinuated to...

I'd actually be fine with a full on silent protagonist, but they really failed to make him "the player's avatar" when they A) Keep insisting through other characters that he has a distinct personality B) Have him be extremely important to the plot in the way that he is C) Talk sometimes, but only selectively and D)
outright show his personality on two occasions, both in Victor and in that one scene where he sees himself in that weird pocket dimension he kills Julius in
. Even in games like Golden Sun, where they took a talking character and made him mute in the sequel and vice versa, there was a vision behind the character. Ludger's halfway-there avatar status is just incredibly awkward and every scene involving him comes off as stunted as a result.

Victor also needed more screen time and backstory... and it's interesting that this version of Ludger not only has a slightly different appearance, but an entirely different name, as well. Why is he the only fractured character to be this way?

Overall, it's a great game and a much better direct sequel than Symphonia 2 was, but I preferred the first game for its stronger focus and better told story, even if the overall plotline was more interesting here.

Why does chapter 7 keep sending me to new locations, why can't it just end, I have to get back to finding more cats and there are no cats here (was the 'no cat' message at the beginning of the chapter a warning or a taunt?).

There are no cats in the
fractured dimenions.

I know, and it keeps going. I fight
through the plant and fight a spirit, but still it won't let me go back to the real world so I can get back to the important stuff, finding cats and seashells. Then I go to the dimension rift, another boss battles, big cutscene, still not back in the place where I can find cats. Then I'm off in a different part of the world, and my pitiable cat-less existence continues. I called it a night there.

I know, and it keeps going. I fight
through the plant and fight a spirit, but still it won't let me go back to the real world so I can get back to the important stuff, finding cats and seashells. Then I go to the dimension rift, another boss battles, big cutscene, still not back in the place where I can find cats. Then I'm off in a different part of the world, and my pitiable cat-less existence continues. I called it a night there.

Your only option is to continue through the story.

Persevere, and remember; courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

I keep reading that, when does he talk and what does he say? Because I'm pretty sure he didn't talk at all in the japanese version
except for screaming Elle's name in the finale, which was pretty cool imo.

There are numerous instances where he'll reply with one word, and more rarely two. I got the same impression, in that he's halfway between a character and a silent protagonist. I don't think they would have lost anything by fully voicing him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I keep reading that, when does he talk and what does he say? Because I'm pretty sure he didn't talk at all in the japanese version
except for screaming Elle's name in the finale, which was pretty cool imo.
He'll say stuff like "Yeah", "Ok", "What?", and the like. Sometimes he will really step outside the box and participate in victory quotes, say someone's name, or even a complete phrase, like "Tell me about it". It's weird.

3Kaze

There are numerous instances where he'll reply with one word, and more rarely two. I got the same impression, in that he's halfway between a character and a silent protagonist. I don't think they would have lost anything by fully voicing him.

He'll say stuff like "Yeah", "Ok", "What?", and the like. Sometimes he will really step outside the box and participate in victory quotes, say someone's name, or even a complete phrase, like "Tell me about it". It's weird.

I see. Yeah, that's a bit weird. There wasn't anything like that in the JP version, grunts only.

Xenoflare

Plot related question.

How can Alvin and the Alvin in his chapter 4 fractured dimension co-exist?

Edit: Xillia's old boss theme sure is better

ohlawd

Plot related question.

How can Alvin and the Alvin in his chapter 4 fractured dimension co-exist?

Edit: Xillia's old boss theme sure is better
who knows lol

maybe the rules don't apply to fractured dimensions. Fractured Rollo disappeared since he was in the prime dimension

demidar

Okay so the whole Ludger isn't voiced thing makes him "sound" like a socially awkward dork. A character attempts banter with him and all he says is a quick "Yeah", "What?" or "Huh?". It gives off the impression that he's a little too slow to give witty retorts.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I forgot to ask. Does this game have Devil's Arms, or a similar equivielent?

I found weapons through questing/custom items that said "sealed power" or something to that effect. All named after older Tales game but I don't know if you can upgrade them.

MSMrRound

I found weapons through questing/custom items that said "sealed power" or something to that effect. All named after older Tales game but I don't know if you can upgrade them.

They are supposedly the best weapons in the game, which can be unsealed postgame via loads and loads of crafting that we will have to do.

The cats in this game amuse me to no end. The sound Rollo makes when you send him off is hilarious. There is a cat named Swagmo that has got too many laughs from my brother and I.

Vylash

i was not ready for Muzet's first character quest, i get the feeling i won't be ready for the second one, also chapter 12 next which is apparently where shit gets real, but i'm still dead from 11

Top Bottom