• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Vylash

Please tell me her singing is exactly the same as I remember it.

it's exactly as you remember it

~~juicy poranges, forests so green, and tasty napples, mountains gleam~~~

~~~the flavors are as sweet as the water is clean~~~

~~~hamil is the village of all of our dreams~~~

Taruranto

Alt Milla
is actually more likable than the main one, gg.

On other hand, not sure how I feel about the whole
destroy dimension-commit genocide
, game seems to treat it as anon-issue and these people are the same that didn't want to sacrifice one continent in Xillia 1.

I'm up to chapter 11 now and wow
Victor
is incredibly OP.

Kinda feel bad for
Alternate Milla
no one seemed to really care that much besides Elle which was surprisingly great for an emotional moment in a Tales game.

Persona7

Banned
did someone say napple?

06JZ501.gif

Some questions:

1. Any suggestions on great skills to equip for each of Ludger's weapons? Don't want to waste time getting "uses" on crappy skills

2. What elements do I level with Elize to get her good healing spells?

3. Is it all that critical to use Elize for healing or Leia for stealing? Are there unique items to steal which would force me to use Leia in certain boss battles or anything like that?

4. When do
Gaius and Muzet
join the party? Is
Gaius
a good party member? good to control yourself?

Thanks!

100 character cards in Tales of Graces F or 100 cats in Tales of Xillia 2. Which one do you guys prefer?

The cats since they are less random than cards where you might get a chance to get them in the fields. At worse is just sending out a cat to a place over and over again.

ys45

Finally got my CE on Friday and started this yesterday played 4h.
Game is really great as expected.

the only thing I don't like is the silent protagonist It's nice to be able to take decision but it feel weird that he almost never talk except for some "what" or "hey" or grunt .

Seda

Some of these bonus dungeon bosses are brutal, and the characters that show up at the end of the Elite Tag Arena aren't pushovers either. (seems like it's always a random party member and another character based on the player character?)

Apparently the cameo battle only unlocks once you complete the bonus dungeon, so I guess that's next on tap. I grabbed the arena weapons and sealed 'Devil's Arms' - wonder what these "cameo" weapons are all about.

As is often the case with Tales of threads I find myself having a minority opinion, or at least a relatively unpopular one (let's not get into Tales of the Abyss discussion please).

I am normally someone who LOATHES kid characters in games. They always have awful voices, awful dialogue and are awful in almost every conceivable way.

I like Elle. I think it's...almost absurd that they were able to write, localize and voice act a child character in a JRPG that I think actually sounds like a goddam child. Yeah, she's annoying but it's not because of bad voice acting or awful lines but because she's like fucking 10. It makes sense. I enjoy her dialogue. It's weird and unnatural. I feel odd that she doesn't bug me.

That being said, if this game was the first or the areas it went through were different than 1 I'd put it way up there on my Tales list. All the characters seem to have better voice acting, the interactions are much better, the designs are stronger, the missions tease my jRPG structure boner, the combat is a blast, they do that thing that no one does in fucking video games where optional stuff actually affects things during the main storyline such as adding conversation bits or changing perspectives which gives you a purpose in doing them other than "Oh I get 1000 GALD, frabjous day" and the storytelling/scenes are a lot more nuanced than I'm used to in a Tales game.

That being said, as much as I'm enjoying it, the level of the game is taken down a fucking abysmal amount by the repetitive areas of the 1st game and as everyone and their mother has said Ludger being a waste of an amazing character design. The idea to make his dialogue unvoiced the first time and just have him stare into the distance and moan has to be one of the dumbest ideas that I can't believe made it past a casual discussion.

Developers need to stop taking a specific character they have in mind and make you choose their dialogue options for a flickering illusion of self insert or choice, because when we don't make the character or we don't control the story since it's of a linear nature, we're not choosing OUR options we're choosing what we want the pre-designed and imagined character to say or do. What we think THEY would do. And if you make them a blank literally everywhere else but imply he has a personality outside of the choices we make then it makes the choices we make meaningless and sets us even farther from the character.

It's so disconcerting that this game would be pretty goddam great otherwise, lack of Milla lisp not-withstanding.

And alt-Milla is actually kinda funny. She acts like a kid, just saying petulant bratty stuff at every interaction and her first story "quest" where she argues with Elle like they're on the same playing field had me smiling pretty hard because it was so ridiculous that the lord of spirits was such a little shit. Really amusing.

As is often the case with Tales of threads I find myself having a minority opinion, or at least a relatively unpopular one (let's not get into Tales of the Abyss discussion please).

I am normally someone who LOATHES kid characters in games. They always have awful voices, awful dialogue and are awful in almost every conceivable way.

I like Elle. I think it's...almost absurd that they were able to write, localize and voice act a child character in a JRPG that I think actually sounds like a goddam child. Yeah, she's annoying but it's not because of bad voice acting or awful lines but because she's like fucking 10. It makes sense. I enjoy her dialogue. It's weird and unnatural. I feel odd that she doesn't bug me.

That being said, if this game was the first or the areas it went through were different than 1 I'd put it way up there on my Tales list. All the characters seem to have better voice acting, the interactions are much better, the designs are stronger, the missions tease my jRPG structure boner, the combat is a blast, they do that thing that no one does in fucking video games where optional stuff actually affects things during the main storyline such as adding conversation bits or changing perspectives which gives you a purpose in doing them other than "Oh I get 1000 GALD, frabjous day" and the storytelling/scenes are a lot more nuanced than I'm used to in a Tales game.

That being said, as much as I'm enjoying it, the level of the game is taken down a fucking abysmal amount by the repetitive areas of the 1st game and as everyone and their mother has said Ludger being a waste of an amazing character design. The idea to make his dialogue unvoiced the first time and just have him stare into the distance and moan has to be one of the dumbest ideas that I can't believe made it past a casual discussion.

Developers need to stop taking a specific character they have in mind and make you choose their dialogue options for a flickering illusion of self insert or choice, because when we don't make the character or we don't control the story since it's of a linear nature, we're not choosing OUR options we're choosing what we want the pre-designed and imagined character to say or do. What we think THEY would do. And if you make them a blank literally everywhere else but imply he has a personality outside of the choices we make then it makes the choices we make meaningless and sets us even farther from the character.

It's so disconcerting that this game would be pretty goddam great otherwise, lack of Milla lisp not-withstanding.

And alt-Milla is actually kinda funny. She acts like a kid, just saying petulant bratty stuff at every interaction and her first story "quest" where she argues with Elle like they're on the same playing field had me smiling pretty hard because it was so ridiculous that the lord of spirits was such a little shit. Really amusing.

I'm not sure what you have to say about Abyss, but I wasn't very taken with it myself. I haven't done a huge amount in that game because I was mostly unmotivated to do so.

Xillia 2, on the other hand, has a good deal of intrigue to its story and it's great at keeping me wrapped up in it. I agree the repetitiveness can be annoying, but I enjoyed some of the locales in Xillia 1 so much that I really don't mind it. I wouldn't knock it down too many pegs, though, because while yes this is supposed to be a whole different game with a $60 price tag, it feels very much like the B-side or second half of the first game. When I look at it like that, it doesn't feel like that much of a cop-out. Everything is better in this entry and it's kind of sad to see that the critics haven't been able to see it for what it is, knocking it down quite a bit in score because of its similarity to the first game.

I don't really have an opinion on Ludger. I'm not sure if the self-insert has a grander purpose later, some have hinted that it does, but I'll wait to pass judgement on it just yet.

Seda

To be fair, I think many Tales games have quite the range of opinions. Abyss for instances has quite a number of vocal fans but many people aren't too hot on it either.

That said, not many have really had a chance to voice substantial opinions on this game yet. I wrote up a bit a few pages back. So, hard to tell what the 'consensus', if any, is at the moment.

Heyt

Banned
In my experience every Tales of is the best and worst in the series according to it's own fanbase.

I think that's telling about how this games differ one to another despite the overall superficial simmilarities you would expect from... well, a series.

I've only played Abyss, Graces and Xillia prior to this one. To me personally this one is the best of the bunch. Enjoying it quite a lot, seems less animeish (not that anime style stories are bad, I very much enjoy anime), and much darker than the other titles. For one, the whole
destroying worlds
actually gets me thinking rather than just going with it.

Let me clarify a bit;

I breezed through the thread as I do not generally have internet the majority of the time so I managed to catch a number of people disliking a good number of parts about the game as well as agreeing with one another and I seemed to catch more of those than of the opposite nature. This also takes into account some reviews I read of the game and common complaints that they have all had. There are certainly people who are enjoying and liking this game and aspects of it, but at least from what I was reading people have been pretty negative about a number of things I either didn't mind or enjoyed.

Also, everyone wears fucking pimpin' suits in this game so it's impossible to actually dislike the character designs. Impossible I say.

As far as my Abyss dig, I'd say that the dislike of it is overwhelmingly louder than those who do like it. There are so many arguments that erupt on here regarding that game just from it's mere mention that it's easy to see the negative get put on full blast quite a lot more often than those who saw it as a positive.

For the record, I think it's the best Tales game.

Taruranto

Is everyone aware you can talk to the people with red smiley faces above them to fast travel from one end of an area to another?

It hardly matters, given that you are forced to go through these areas again and again for story missions (other worlds), quests stuff, enemies to get more SP, etc.

They didn't even bother to change the OST, I feel like I'm playing a mod. It's shit.

I was wondering why my allies were barely doing anything in battle. It seems it's best to set them to "Use Mainly Artes", and to fight without regard to HP or TP. For healers you can keep them on "Prioritize Healing". I also set them to link often and the default stance is to "Act Freely" so they can still continue to combo independently instead of waiting on the leader to attack first.

Before I did this they would barely attack and would often wait around with almost full half HP taunting for no reason which just resulted in them dieing faster.

Now they just rush in and are able to get enemies (bosses) into the weakened state on their own.

Xenoflare

LOL

It's funny how Vera still
contact Ludger for fractured dimensions after chapter 14, I thought he already turned against Sprius?

ys45

I must be blind or something , can you check your current quest without being at the quest board ? I checked all the menu and could not find it

SaintZ

I must be blind or something , can you check your current quest without being at the quest board ? I checked all the menu and could not find it
Check in Library > Events > Underway for your active quests

I played 12 hours yesterday and I feel I didn't progress in the story but I did tons of sidequests. The last thing I did was
Gaius story Chapter... 2 or 3? The one where you fight against the Chimeriad. I wasn't expecting to fight them all at the same time like that. And the battle after that, good god, I didn't bring Elize or Leia with me so I suffered, specially because I forgot to save after beating the Chimeriad. I barely made it :S

Ekklessia

Neo Member

Only the 5 you have accepted. the best thing to do is go into options and set L3 to go to your quest list.

Let me clarify a bit;

I breezed through the thread as I do not generally have internet the majority of the time so I managed to catch a number of people disliking a good number of parts about the game as well as agreeing with one another and I seemed to catch more of those than of the opposite nature. This also takes into account some reviews I read of the game and common complaints that they have all had. There are certainly people who are enjoying and liking this game and aspects of it, but at least from what I was reading people have been pretty negative about a number of things I either didn't mind or enjoyed.

Also, everyone wears fucking pimpin' suits in this game so it's impossible to actually dislike the character designs. Impossible I say.

As far as my Abyss dig, I'd say that the dislike of it is overwhelmingly louder than those who do like it. There are so many arguments that erupt on here regarding that game just from it's mere mention that it's easy to see the negative get put on full blast quite a lot more often than those who saw it as a positive.

Word, I told everyone when I first saw the main characters that these designs would be popular and that the protagonist looked great, it'd becoming my favorite tails game already, dropped graces f due to the story, dropped xillia one due to boredom, this one feels just right in both respects!

FSLink

Banned
At Ch11 or so. Caught up after a busy week and played mostly this throughout the weekend.

So...why is Jude's arcane arte Savage Roar renamed to Recumbent Wolf? They kept every other Xillia 1 arte name the same. -_-

Seda

At Ch11 or so. Caught up after a busy week and played mostly this throughout the weekend.

So...why is Jude's arcane arte Savage Roar renamed to Recumbent Wolf? They kept every other Xillia 1 arte name the same. -_-

Not only did Jude decide to change his hair, he wanted to change the arte name.

Bladenic

Have you guys seen the dual mystic artes yet? They're all pretty dope, and do a good job of making up for the Xillia ones.

Check in Library > Events > Underway for your active quests

I played 12 hours yesterday and I feel I didn't progress in the story but I did tons of sidequests. The last thing I did was
Gaius story Chapter... 2 or 3? The one where you fight against the Chimeriad. I wasn't expecting to fight them all at the same time like that. And the battle after that, good god, I didn't bring Elize or Leia with me so I suffered, specially because I forgot to save after beating the Chimeriad. I barely made it :S

You should know better than to not bring Elize with you EVERYWHERE.

Oh man, I bought so much DLC. XD

Two of the Level +10 packs, the extractor, the +1000 HP and the two AC+ items. I haven't applied the level packs yet, and don't plan to until endgame, when leveling gets super time-consuming. And I'm not going to apply the +1000 HP until Milla and Muzet are in my party, though I'm sure it would add to theirs anyway.

On a sidenote, what's the max level in this game?

RangerBAD

Oh man, I bought so much DLC. XD

Two of the Level +10 packs, the extractor, the +1000 HP and the two AC+ items. I haven't applied the level packs yet, and don't plan to until endgame, when leveling gets super time-consuming. And I'm not going to apply the +1000 HP until Milla and Muzet are in my party, though I'm sure it would add to theirs anyway.

On a sidenote, what's the max level in this game?

99 like Xillia 1.

Xenoflare

Let me clarify a bit;

I agree with the new costume designs, everyone looks so great in them. I enjoyed this more than I did for Xillia, better voice direction (thank god Milla) and the small but important upgrades in the battle system (such as the addition of link charge and link edge etc) made this a better game for me in terms of game play.

I have to say that the story does feel a bit of an afterthought, but the darker tone sure helped it a lot in terms of differentiating itself from the otherwise lighthearted tone that Tales of games usually make, the story also felt like a natural extension from Xillia instead of an obvious try hard (FFXIII-2 ew).

The recycled content is a valid complaint and a glaring flaw, but I'm not really that bothered by it, I'm glad that Elympios finally got expanded a little bit but it's still pretty small compared to Rieze Maxia.

Abyss was good in a way compared to the Tales of games I've played (Rebirth and Destiny 2) but I never felt forced to drag myself to finish Xillia and Xillia 2. Unfortunately I had this happened to me in Abyss. The cast is one of the problem.

SaintZ

Have you guys seen the dual mystic artes yet? They're all pretty dope, and do a good job of making up for the Xillia ones.

You should know better than to not bring Elize with you EVERYWHERE.
I still haven't seen the dual mystic artes (I don't know if I have them available yet), and I just learned how activate the individual ones this time around (I was trying to do it like in Xillia 1, mess.)

And I didn't bring Elize because I thought I'd be a quick side quest devoid of any real danger :rip: I won't make the same mistake again :$

Top Bottom