• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

MilkBeard

lol.
"You've been dropping regular BMs lately"

As for the difficulty, some people were saying the game feels harder but right I'd say it feels the same, playing on moderate difficulty for both. Or rather, I could say that I haven't really been pushed yet, but I haven't fought a proper boss yet either(just getting to chapter 4).

demidar

The boss at the top of Helioborg hurt a lot, even on Moderate when it does the repeated slam attack that does full damage even if you're on the ground.

Thoraxes

Still surprised I beat the game clocked in at 37:02. That with doing all the character quests, a bit of grinding, a bit of exploring and questing along with about 45 minutes of idle time. Good lord this game is short

I beat Xillia 1 in about 25 hours >.>

Reishiki

Banned
Kinda glad they kept the theme naming on
Ludger and Julius'
mystic artes.

Bassaizan Ayami -> Ritual of Destruction (Ludger)
Bassaizan Juuga -> Ritual of Devastation (Julius)

Chronos
loses the minor Eternia reference off his 2nd MA, though
(Time Craymel -> Chrono Erosion)

I'm getting burned out faster with this tales game than with others. I think it's the forced mmo quests due to debt payment that is putting me off.

Bought the game yesterday. Was trying to hold of until it was cheaper, but couldn't resist. Even played through TOS: Dawn of the New Age to try and hold myself over since it was cheap on PSN...Didn't help.

SaintZ

UGH, the boss in Chapter 12 beat me when he only had like 1000 HP left. ajdnasjdnaksd

It's unfair how you're not able to bring either Leia or Elize to the battle. A mess.

Finalow

finally started playing. the CE arrived today, quite nice.

I'm seeing that sidequests are the usual bore fest, at least the giant monsters are back and that's cool.

now, do I need to complete all of them in order to get the platinum? It seems not by reading some trophies but I'd like someone to confirm.
and it's so stupid that you can only take 5 quests each time, just why. jesus christ

characters episodes, are they missable?

lol.
"You've been dropping regular BMs lately"

As for the difficulty, some people were saying the game feels harder but right I'd say it feels the same, playing on moderate difficulty for both. Or rather, I could say that I haven't really been pushed yet, but I haven't fought a proper boss yet either(just getting to chapter 4).
well, they're just the first chapters, and the first 3 don't even have a boss.

Finally got my CE on Friday and started this yesterday played 4h.
Game is really great as expected.

the only thing I don't like is the silent protagonist It's nice to be able to take decision but it feel weird that he almost never talk except for some "what" or "hey" or grunt .

Yeah.

Elle is so great

So true.

Really enjoying the dub cast.

Also, everyone wears fucking pimpin' suits in this game so it's impossible to actually dislike the character designs. Impossible I say.

Yeah, it's pretty damn neat having a setting like this.

Finished the game last night with about 42 hours in. It did kind of become a slog at times between chapters, but overall this is definitely one of the more enjoyable games in the series. Loved the story once it kicked in from chapter 7 onward, really liked all the character episodes as well. I liked that it didn't just pull a DEM to get a happy ending like most of this series does.

I was kind of pissed after the final boss though,
with the choices basically doing the exact opposite of what they were saying. I had to redo the last battle because the Elle ending was pretty damn unsatisfying. The music for the first part of the credits being normal bgm made it a bit more lackluster too.

I lowered the difficulty and couldn't be happier.

Is this boss you're talking about
Victor
?

I actually tried like 10 times on Normal trying to beat him until I leveled up twice and bought the best armour possible then I beat him first try. Never experienced trouble with a Tales game before on standard difficulty.

Btw anyone know how to unlock the in-game costumes that Alvin and Milla had in the first game in this one as well? The costumes you get from the Jet Black Feathers I mean.

SaintZ

Victor
?

I actually tried like 10 times on Normal trying to beat him until I leveled up twice and bought the best armour possible then I beat him first try. Never experienced trouble with a Tales game before on standard difficulty.

Btw anyone know how to unlock the in-game costumes that Alvin and Milla had in the first game in this one as well? The costumes you get from the Jet Black Feathers I mean.
Oh yes, that boss. I think I might be a little bit underleveled (I have been skipping the Elite monsters sidequests and the monsters in the field) and didn't buy any new equipment either so I might be biting more than I can chew... time to do some grinding I guess.

There some extra costumes you can get in the poker mini game, no idea if they are the ones from the first game though.

Xenoflare

Agreed. Been a decade since I felt good about a Tales of ending. Hats off to Bamco.

I think it's partially because Xillia 2's
overall darker tone, not because it's 2edgy4me but that most of the tales of games always felt too perfect for me, meaning that the outcome is always like a fairy tale, of course this isn't really the case since people do die in Tales of games but Xillia 2 handled the death of Julius so well that it outshines all of them, not to mention the character quest that destroys perfectly fine worlds. Alvin, Elize and Leia's side quests have traces of this, but it's not as well done as Julius, since he's in the main chapter so it's warranted.

Just finished Chapter 2.

The game has went from
kicking off with a dream sequence, a training exercise, cooking, a train hijacking and suddenly being forced to pay off a debt within the span of two hours.
Rather unfocused direction if you ask me, and yet miraculously it's clicking more with me so far than the original Xillia.

also I like rollo the cat.

Xenoflare

Victor
?

You need to go to the bar in Duval and talk to the bartender to buy poker chips, to unlock the poker game you must complete the side quest that requires a tengu mask. The sidequest unlocks right when you
unlock Drelin, just catch the cat found around the shops in the town square

They are not cheap though, if you are not gambling your way out of it for the chips the outfits cost 200,000 gald each

Xenoflare

Ludger is such of a bad luck Brian.

He is an orphan

He is forced to kill his brother

He's owes a giant corporation a shitload of money

The true ending costs his life

Also,
the talking Ludger in Chapter 15 really made me wish Namco didn't take the silent protag route, he seems to be a lovable dork, much likable than other tales of protags, sans Yuri

Bladenic

UGH, the boss in Chapter 12 beat me when he only had like 1000 HP left. ajdnasjdnaksd

It's unfair how you're not able to bring either Leia or Elize to the battle. A mess.

Yeah, I feel a lot of the challenge comes from the set parties. On one hand, I like the idea of set parties because it gives everyone time to shine in the main story as well as makes you use everyone. On the other, not having Elize makes things a hell of a lot harder.

Xenoflare

Yeah, I feel a lot of the challenge comes from the set parties. On one hand, I like the idea of set parties because it gives everyone time to shine in the main story as well as makes you use everyone. On the other, not having Elize makes things a hell of a lot harder.

Teepo off Dispel+Nurse is the key to any victory.

Also Spirit Spiral is still the most spammed link arte in this game for me, haha.

Just finished chapter 13, guess I'm almost done. Man shit is getting real serious. I don't even know any of this is going to end, and I love it. I just can't predict what's going to happen next anymore.

Victor
?

I'm talking about in general, a lot of the bosses in the game felt cheap to me on normal so I just lowered the difficulty.

Xenoflare

Another plot question.

What's the deal with Jude summoning old man Maxwell in the bonus chapter? I thought he already passed down his power to Milla?

Edit:
Oh wait he's a spyrite, I guess that's different"

Just finished Chapter 10.

From my understanding they only won against Odin because Elle was there? He called her the true Kresnik and as a result of her the "data" deviated so he couldn't predict the party's actions.

What got me at the end though was the two Rollo's. That means that Rollo never even went with the party to the fractured dimension. He stayed behind while the Rollo you meet in the fractured dimension is from the party of fractured counterparts that were trying to destroy the divergence catalyst but didn't due to not having Elle in their timeline and were subsequently "digitized". Which means that whole time he thought his family was ok only to be deleted himself in the end upon returning to the prime dimension. That's actually kind of dark if you really think about it.

So I guess this is just a taste of what's to come in the next few chapters.

Vorpal

Just about to finish chapter 7. I started out enjoying the "debt payoff" sections, but I've quickly lost steam. I'm ready for the post-game.

Also, I think Vera has a creeper.
jNokyRg.jpg

Just finished it and got the True Ending.

This is the first real "sad" ending I've seen in a long time for Tales games. I mean, damn. ;______;

Those pictures that go by in the credits practically rub salt in the wound. I almost friggin' cried at it man. I checked out the normal ending for comparison, and it isn't much happier by comparison when you realize what happens later on.

Much better than the first Xillia. My next favourite Tales game after Graces.

Xenoflare

Just finished it and got the True Ending.

This is the first real "sad" ending I've seen in a long time for Tales games. I mean, damn. ;______;

Those pictures that go by in the credits practically rub salt in the wound. I almost friggin' cried at it man. I checked out the normal ending for comparison, and it isn't much happier by comparison when you realize what happens later on.

Much better than the first Xillia. My next favourite Tales game after Graces.

I cannot help but to think that Ludger just got shat on the entire adventure like I mentioned earlier, I don't like this true ending.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Between the normal and true endings,
normal seems like the "good" ending to me. I know that Ludger became attached to Elle, but she was never supposed to exist in the first place and he basically stopped his real daughter from existing in order for an alternate dimension version of his daughter to continue existing. Sacrificing himself for someone who shouldn't exist and then subsequently causing the person who should exist not to exist, plus leaving behind all of the people who became attached to him, as well as his future wife... I also feel like the normal ending is more poetic and noble, where Ludger realizes that he has to put his attachments aside for the greater good. Sacrificing himself for a fractured version of someone seems like he's propagating the "wrongness" of other dimensions, and I just get a better sense that the world has been set right in the normal ending.

Top Bottom