• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Didn't get a chance to play this yesterday because had some crazy personal stuff going on, so got started tonight and played through the intro...

Wow!

I think out of 20 years of Tales, this has to be one of the best openings to a Tales game yet. Game gives off a really good first impression. From the screenshots/trailer I thought the graphics were gonna be pretty rough, but the game's actually very pretty because of the scale + art direction. Didn't realize the scale was going to be more like Xenoblade than Xillia. Story seems interesting and less generic than usual and liking the cutscene direction and characters.

The almost seamless transitions between everything are great and give it a distinct feel of adventuring in a large world. The music has been lovely so far too. And battles seem Graces-based which is great since Graces was my favorite 3d Tales battle system by far.

Not sure how I feel about skits being at save points. And getting kind of sick of PS3 games basing the O/X confirm/cancel based on hardware region instead of software region. So confusing going through the menus! >_<

But yeah, even the OP song/animation was awesome. Game feels like Xenoblade/FFXII adventuring x Xillia's storytelling x Graces battle system. First time I've been excited to explore a new Tales game in a while!

Is there lots to explore and are you rewarded in exploration?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What is there to collect in the fields besides plants and stones, btw?

Also, any sidequest impressions?
Plants, stone tablets, discoveries, treasure chests and Normin.

I'm currently 10 hours in and I think I did only 2 subquests so far, despite trying to explore everything very thoroughly.

Speaking of gameplay time, I wonder how long ToZ is supposed to be - I'm guessing 30-55 hours for a regular clear without getting all the side stuff?

Soriku

I'm currently 10 hours in and I think I did only 2 subquests so far, despite trying to explore everything very thoroughly.

Speaking of gameplay time, I wonder how long ToZ is supposed to be - I'm guessing 30-55 hours for a regular clear without getting all the side stuff?

OK sounds good. What kind of discoveries are there? Any returning field items from the Xillias?

That sounds good. Is it like Xillia where you go next to a sparkle to get items?

RalchAC

Man, after seeing the streams and the info you've linked I'm quite hyped for the game. It looks quite a lot better than what I early thought. I have a few questions:

- I saw the food pic from Aeana. Food is supposed to last longer than Xillia, right? I remember the food there lasted 4/7/10 battles (from Small, Mid, Big sizes). Here the smallest food grants benefits for 10 battles, right?

- Has the game a big focus on weaknesses? It seems that's their intention, with the Tenzokus being the 4 different elements and people being able to change them on the fly and being able to resurrect them at any time.

- How is playing as Rose? When you fuse with another Tenzoku does she have the same arte set than Sorey or is it different?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That sounds good. Is it like Xillia where you go next to a sparkle to get items?
I have no idea how it worked in Xillia, I haven't played it long enough.
Man, after seeing the streams and the info you've linked I'm quite hyped for the game. It looks quite a lot better than what I early thought. I have a few questions:

- I saw the food pic from Aeana. Food is supposed to last longer than Xillia, right? I remember the food there lasted 4/7/10 battles (from Small, Mid, Big sizes). Here the smallest food grants benefits for 10 battles, right?

- Has the game a big focus on weaknesses? It seems that's their intention, with the Tenzokus being the 4 different elements and people being able to change them on the fly and being able to resurrect them at any time.

- How is playing as Rose? When you fuse with another Tenzoku does she have the same arte set than Sorey or is it different?
- I think food lasts for longer. Not sure, since I can't check it right now. Effects of sweets last for only one battle though.
- Yeah, weaknesses are a huge thing in Zestiria, like you said, changing elements on the fly + being able to make all your attacks elemental after turning Kamui on is a key to finishing battles really fast.

Asd202

But yeah, even the OP song/animation was awesome. Game feels like Xenoblade/FFXII adventuring x Xillia's storytelling x Graces battle system. First time I've been excited to explore a new Tales game in a while!

Wait the game is actually really good? Color me surprised.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is it me or does ToZ actually have less skits than previous games? You get them during discoveries, but hardly outside of that.

Yuterald

How are the dungeons? I put like 50 hours in Xillia and dropped it because I couldn't take all the field romping. From what I've read, this game looks like it's got the same kind of field design, but are the actual dungeons at least competent/interesting? I feel like I haven't played a Tales games with decent dungeons since Symphonia.

Aeana

Not sure how I feel about skits being at save points. And getting kind of sick of PS3 games basing the O/X confirm/cancel based on hardware region instead of software region. So confusing going through the menus! >_<

Well, Graces was this way. Or, it's more correct to say, skits are really contextual. You have to be standing in the right place to get the skit, and if you're not, the prompt goes away.

Zankou

Is it me or does ToZ actually have less skits than previous games? You get them during discoveries, but hardly outside of that.

Skits only appear at Save points, Discoveries or when you stay at the inn. It's pretty much like in Graces.

I'm currently 6 hours in the game and just fought the
snake hellion
. That was a pretty tough fight (playing on hard). But it also was really fun, I was able to pull off a 71 hit combo with Sorey/Mikleo fusion. The only negative aspect for me so far is the battle camera. It's really uncomfortable in some situations, especially next to walls with a crowd of monsters. But it's manageabel with side and back steps.

Datschge

Slowly going through the staff listing right now. Some first notes:
- Udo is credited as lead game designer, just like Graces
- Takashi Hasegawa (the project lead of all the "Team Symphonia" games) is actually listed first for scenario and the story
reflects this as it will remind people of another game he worked on
, Yamamoto is the only one along him (meaning Hori and Kiga may already work on something else)
- so far more former Tales Studio staff than I expected

Falk

that puzzling face
Graces had -some- skits that were at specific locations other than save points/discoveries/inns

But yeah, they were far and few between and otherwise felt like it was a deliberate design decision for familiarity.

edit: Whoa, no idea how I overlooked Lemon Sky's involvement. (Malaysian studio)

edit2: Yooooo
UbqvUft.png

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Skits only appear at Save points, Discoveries or when you stay at the inn. It's pretty much like in Graces.
Oh, so it was like that before, I see. Sometimes they happen outside of the situations that you've listed, but so far it was maybe 2-3 times.

13 hours in and I finally got
Rose
and fights got much more interesting and end way faster. I wonder how many party members will I have by the end. To be honest I wouldn't complain if this was it.
edit2: Yooooo
UbqvUft.png
Does anyone know that streamer's playtime? At this point I'm curious about the scale of the game. So far the fields have been quite big, but because there's no world map, I doesn't feel like you've traveled very far.

Datschge

There's no world map? I thought there was a very hand-drawn-ish map.
Yes, similar to Graces in usage. =P There you can list and see the location of all castles, dungeons, found discoveries etc. and includes all save points as those allow you to directly travel back and forth.

Aeana

Does anyone know that streamer's playtime? At this point I'm curious about the scale of the game. So far the fields have been quite big, but because there's no world map, I doesn't feel like you've traveled very far.

Sure there is. Press R3.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sure there is. Press R3.
I mean a world map like in ff games pre-X, vesperia etc. And speaking of the map in ToZ, I hate that it doesn't have better minimaps when warping. Sometimes I have no idea where I'll land, because all I have are savepoint names and my memory is good enough for that.

Heyt

Banned
All the first impressions seem very positive but now that the credits have rolled...
is it a beta version or is it the whole package
? If anyone answer this don't include any deatils please... a yes or no is enough for me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I was browsing the DLC schedule of the official site and stumbled upon a paid DLC that increases the limit of the usable items of the same type that you can have from 15 to 30...
Come on.

Falk

that puzzling face
All the first impressions seem very positive but now that the credits have rolled...
is it a beta version or is it the whole package
? If anyone answer this don't include any deatils please... a yes or no is enough for me.

The heck is your definition of
a beta version
?

Honest question.

Bebpo

Banned
The art direction reminds me a lot of Abyss. Low quality assets but put together in a great art direction composition to make beautiful locations. Wonder if it's the same guy?

Heyt

Banned
The art direction reminds me a lot of Abyss. Low quality assets but put together in a great art direction composition to make beautiful locations. Wonder if it's the same guy?

Nope. Vesperia's art director. Also doubles as character designer, a shared duty with other more regular character artists in the series.

Heyt

Banned
Oh man.
Fuck Namco. Not getting a PS4 for the full version. It better be cross gen or something.

Aeana

Hm, if it's Vesperia's, it doesn't really show. I don't think Zestiria is ugly, but Vesperia had a lot of places that made me stop and admire.

ADqCouL.jpg

fl7Hgsa.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh man.
Fuck Namco. Not getting a PS4 for the full version. It better be cross gen or something.

Wat

The joke was that it was similar to asking "would you prefer coffee or tea?" and you get "yes" as an answer.

But to actually be useful, game does seem complete to me.

Then again I did play Graces (on PS3) way back when and upon beating
Richard
I thought that was it, and it felt like a complete game for me so I did not even realize there was a future arc so I didn't play future arc till a replay last month.

Datschge

Abyss was Okumura (who also did the Xillia games).

Zestiria has some few places which remind me of Vesperia, but I think at this point it might be a hardware limitation that's keeps them from actually reaching Vesperia's fidelity with all the newly introduced free camera, open world-ish seamless perks. The whole game seems more or less designed around such limitations.

But at what it offers it seems complete to me (re Heyt).

Heyt

Banned
Oh? sorry I went over the edge without being able to think in joke terms. My bad.

I ask excatly because it seems unclear so far to me:
some pleople think is a complete game, but others see it as blatantly cut in terms of content, at least regarding one particular aspect.

Thanks for both answers though, Falk & Datschge. I am way more confident in this game now.

I was browsing the DLC schedule of the official site and stumbled upon a paid DLC that increases the limit of the usable items of the same type that you can have from 15 to 30...
Come on.

Not new, Xillia 2 had that as DLC too. :p

Even more silly is that they don't offer the item expansion to 99 as DLC though.

Come on.

They've put Grade Shop items as DLC on the store yeah, there's also Double Grade, Double XP, Double Arte Gaining, Double Normin Effects, +1000 max HP and so on, with the usual +XX levels.

Hm, if it's Vesperia's, it doesn't really show. I don't think Zestiria is ugly, but Vesperia had a lot of places that made me stop and admire.

ADqCouL.jpg

fl7Hgsa.jpg

Why could they have not kept this art style ;___; . Xillia had some beautiful towns but it would of looked that much better with a Vesperia art style.

Oh? sorry I went over the edge without being able to think in joke terms. My bad.

some pleople think is a complete game, but others see it as blatantly cut in terms of content, at least regarding one particular aspect.

I think I know what your talking about ( character spoilers):

Its about Alicia isn't it? I'm still kind of pissed with Namco for that. She was shown off to be a like an important character and I thought she would join permanently after that festival the OVA was talking about but Namco. People are thinking that there's going to be a Zestiria f with Alicia being playable....I dunno but I'm expecting a PS4 port.

dramatis

Thanks for both answers though, Falk & Datschge. I am way more confident in this game now.
To be honest, saying that
Richard and Flynn should have been playable from the start and are "cut content" feels kind of petty considering that the main stories operated in a way that they weren't party material to begin with?
For Zestiria,
it's hard to say whether or not the character in question should be running around with Sorey in the story, so could one character's presence as a playable character really determine if a game is "beta version" or "complete"?

Bladenic

Vesperia is still the most gorgeous. What I've seen of Zestiria's spell effects, they look worse than Vesperia, Graces, and Xillia games. I truly hope and pray the first PS4 title will be cel shaded (fat chance).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Around 15 hours on the clock and enough playing for today.
I finally got out on an open field that felt really big. The view was nice, but it really felt empty, both enemy and tree-wise. I think Xenoblade did a much better job of making these kind of areas feel majestic, but not dead.

Falk

that puzzling face
If anything, I ranted about this in the Tales community thread but on my Graces revisit last month, the future arc felt really tacked-on to me. Hence, if you were to consider:

- Tales of Graces is a complete game, Tales of Graces f is an extra
vs
- Tales of Graces is an incomplete game, Tales of Graces f finally makes it complete,

I'd say I feel more of the former than the latter. So really, it's all about perspective.

Fisico

If anything, I ranted about this in the Tales community thread but on my Graces revisit last month, the future arc felt really tacked-on to me. Hence, if you were to consider:

- Tales of Graces is a complete game, Tales of Graces f is an extra
vs
- Tales of Graces is an incomplete game, Tales of Graces f finally makes it complete,

I'd say I feel more of the former than the latter. So really, it's all about perspective.

I agree with you on that one, I finished Graces back in 2009 and never felt the need to do the future arc, the only thing that could have hinted at a missing arc was maybe the last cinematic post credits.
I remember that back then there was some digging in the source code (a la Vesperia) and they managed to find some lines about an extra playable character which was supposed to be David Paradis, and well we know how it turned out in the end.
(No idea how reliable this digging was however)

I can't wait for my Zestiria copy to arrive, I've been avoiding this topic lately because of spoilers, and looking at some posts quickly it seems like I was right to do so :<

Top Bottom