• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

FSLink

Banned
Cameo Mystic Arte spoiler:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEwBubm_Os
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1bVtAe2XA#t=546

and party Mystic Artes (lv1, Tenzoku, and Lv2)
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzdiqagVC8U

Changed it to code brackets so mobile people don't see the thumbnails.

Stuart444

So I tried to keep away from spoilers but after hearing about some of the reception this game has gotten from people including 1 star reviews on places like amazon.co.jp (81 1 star reviews so far), and then seeing this on twitter which I clicked on purely because I was curious about why people were so up in arms about Zesty, I'm wondering what people here who have played it think.

http://zaveids.tumblr.com/post/109047131927/all-the-things-wrong-with-zestiria-and-some-more

Warning: Swearing, spoilers, etc.

Bladenic

So I tried to keep away from spoilers but after hearing about some of the reception this game has gotten from people including 1 star reviews on places like amazon.co.jp (81 1 star reviews so far), and then seeing this on twitter which I clicked on purely because I was curious about why people were so up in arms about Zesty, I'm wondering what people here who have played it think.

http://zaveids.tumblr.com/post/109047131927/all-the-things-wrong-with-zestiria-and-some-more

So it seems these bad reviews are a result of nothing but the story and handling of some of the characters?

Although that dialogue about Alisha
being a burden, wtf

Stuart444

So it seems these bad reviews are a result of nothing but the story and handling of some of the characters?

Well they do mention some gameplay complaints, systems not making sense, kamui ruining the game or some other stuff like that. Along with skits, pre-order artes and some other stuff.

Though a big amount of it is indeed story/character related.

Also is it true we can't use healing artes outside of battle like they mention? if so that's a bit wtfable.

Heyt

Banned
Well they do mention some gameplay complaints, systems not making sense, kamui ruining the game or some other stuff like that. Along with skits, pre-order artes and some other stuff.

Also is it true we can't use healing artes outside of battle like they mention? if so that's a bit wtfable.

You could no use healing spells out of battle either on Graces.

Bladenic

Games with no TP are always like that. Items or cooking for healing outside battle.

Datschge

Well players were prominently promised a very specific candy before the game's release, and now that it's
being "prematurely" taken away from them
they whine about it. Shows how efficient PR (the people do want it, so it in itself was successful =P) can backfire completely.

Stuart444

I think the funniest thing is
Alisha along with Sorey both got Kotobukiya figures. Yet she's not in the game much. All that advertising, figures, TV anime with her animated beautifully, so many trailers and focus and such with her in it. Yet here we are

Bladenic

Yeah this game was definitely a huge perpetrator of false adverstising.
The entire Alisha situation, Rose being revealed so late (apparently not meant to be revealed at all at first), Baba saying Rose was to be a traveling companion like Claire or maybe Shirley during Legendia's main story, etc.
People are understandably upset, especially since
Alisha's reasons for absence seem forced and minor, and she seems to get badmouthed even by characters in the party in favor of Rose
. Seems Rose is a bit of a Mary Sue, just going by what I've read.

Of course I'm not judging and taking everything with salt, just because I want to play the game in a language I understand and see for myself.

raven777

Alisha along with Sorey both got Kotobukiya figures. Yet she's not in the game much. All that advertising, figures, TV anime with her animated beautifully, so many trailers and focus and such with her in it. Yet here we are

to be exact,
Alisha's figure is by Alter, not Kotobukiya. I personally love her design (my avatar lol) and plan to buy her figure. So its' really disappointing what I am hearing about her at the moment.

Datschge

More staff listing impression: I thought the BN Studios part of the staff list seemed somewhat small, went back to the two Xillia games' listings. I completely forgot how those had barely any outsourcing.

Zestiria on the other hand has plenty:
flightUNIT -> character models (new to the series)
RED Entertainment -> scenario support? (new to the series?)
media.vision -> event design (common partner)
IMAGICA -> support? (common partner)
Lemonsky Studio -> art (new to the series)
Mineloader software -> animation (common partner)
XPEC Entertainment -> 3D art (new to the series)

Took me somewhat by surprise considering even within the BN Studios section there are more and uncredited external contractors included (so far I identified 3 programmers from tri-Crescendo). I guess it's another indication that either there's a second group already working on the next/some other game or more former Tales Studio staff left after Xillia 2.

That I originally thought BN Studios would be more self sufficient than Tales Studio was... <_<

raven777

More staff listing impression: I thought the BN Studios part of the staff list seemed somewhat small, went back to the two Xillia games' listings. I completely forgot how those had barely any outsourcing.

Zestiria on the other hand has plenty:
flightUNIT -> character models (new to the series)
RED Entertainment -> scenario support? (new to the series?)
media.vision -> event design (common partner)
IMAGICA -> support? (common partner)
Lemonsky Studio -> art (new to the series)
Mineloader software -> animation (common partner)
XPEC Entertainment -> 3D art (new to the series)

Took me somewhat by surprise considering even within the BN Studios section there are more and uncredited external contractors included (so far I identified 3 programmers from tri-Crescendo). I guess it's another indication that either there's a second group already working on the next/some other game or more former Tales Studio staff left after Xillia 2.

That I originally thought BN Studios would be more self sufficient than Tales Studio was... <_<

Wait, Flight Unit worked on Zestiria? I Can't believe they were involved since Zestiria's character model looks bad for their work.

RangerBAD

Code:

Code:

I see leta still streams from him bathroom.

Stuart444

to be exact,
Alisha's figure is by Alter, not Kotobukiya. I personally love her design (my avatar lol) and plan to buy her figure. So its' really disappointing what I am hearing about her at the moment.

Ah yeah,
Sorry, it was Alter yeah. I love her design as well which makes me a little disappointed as well I'll admit.

dramatis

It could be that they're having more of their staff working on the next Tales to get used to next gen development. Assuming, of course, they're going next gen.

Finalow

did anyone order from Play Asia, with air economy box? I can't track the package because the HK post or whatever site wants a second string of numbers when I try to track it. (P-A only provides you with one)

It could be that they're having more of their staff working on the next Tales to get used to next gen development. Assuming, of course, they're going next gen.
probably this, they should have their hands full with ToZ PS4 remaster by now, along with all the dlcs that will be included.
I'd say that we get a new PS4 tales of announcement by the end of the year.

Pics_nao

I kinda hope you're exaggerating a bit because I was really excited for this game. At the same time though, I'm not surprised if you aren't especially after every Tales game after Vesperia.

Stuart444

I kinda hope you're exaggerating a bit because I was really excited for this game. At the same time though, I'm not surprised if you aren't especially after every Tales game after Vesperia.

If you mean the tumblr link, that's not me. I just posted that asking what people here thought about it since I'm still waiting on the game to arrive. (or if you mean the amazon review stuff, Here is it showing how many 1 star reviews: http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B00O9SR9NK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 - 92 now)

Aeana

Literally every anticipated game gets 1-starred on Amazon Japan. I'm not sure I've ever seen it not happen.

Stuart444

Literally every anticipated game gets 1-starred on Amazon Japan. I'm not sure I've ever seen it not happen.

Wasn't Xillia highly anticipated? It's got 66 1-stars on Amazon JP.

But yeah, I don't know, I'm just going off what I've read on twitter and then that tumblr link. (which is pretty damning in some respects).

Also that whole Camera issue sounds like it may be a nightmare in some places based on those screenshots above.

Code:

Code:

Oh, didn't know
Jade was one of the cameos.
About damn time.

Dice//

Banned

Yeah, that tumblr honestly sounded like the ramblings of a pissed off Gamfaqs reviewer giving a 1/10 to a game that they "personally got offended by" (and with tourettes, obviously, holy shit, that's a lot of "fucks" and I've worked in a restaurant kitchen). But a lot of those exasperating 1-star reviews sound kinda like that, of people who built something up and anticipated it day 1 and are shooting down ever problem and fault.

That said, it doesn't mean some of the commentary doesn't sound important (even if repeated). Hmm, maybe I'll hold of on Zesteria till it's on sale or till a part 2 or PS4 version is announced. I'm a little tight on money anyways, and Xillia's 1 and 2 left a really bad taste in my mouth to take another dance with 'the latest titles'.

Oh, didn't know
Jade was one of the cameos.
About damn time.

I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, there was a new thing about it.
I agree it's about time. :p

Falk

that puzzling face

It's just part of Japanese culture where they apologize for everything.

Making more things to apologize for.

Exactly.
Do you think they changed the story for whatever reasons at some point in time . The hate they are getting for the bait and switch is kind of justified.

exactly.

Biggest cultural difference between Japan and the rest of the world, people take the time to hate on stuff on amazon.jp lol. Or buy it, just to make a video of them destroying it to show how much they hate it :p

But seriously, amazon is not a legit review site, grain of the salt used to write the review always.

Stuart444

Exactly.
Do you think they changed the story for whatever reasons but the hate they are getting for the bait and switch is kind of justified.

Part of me was wondering if they changed the story since Alisha used to be featured heavily in promotional stuff but during the latter half, People started speculating that she was replaced or something as main heroine

Which yeah, sucks. I liked Alisha. :/

dramatis

There's legitimate criticisms, but that tumblr post is a jumbled mess of complaints, nearly half of which stem from displeasure at the treatment of
two characters who get shafted
, which is somehow a sign of how the game is an incomplete mess designed to eat money when Bamco releases the inevitable 'complete' version.

If you don't mind story/character spoilers, consider that the tumblr linked heavily favors
Dezel in its design and is the poster's avatar, and that Dezel happens to be one of the shafted characters, then obviously he/she's going to be upset
. Even 2ch is more civil and coherent than that rant, and it's 2ch!

Although, it seems many of the JP posters are resigned to being suckered into buying any other editions in the future since they talk about a future port/version constantly.

Aeana

I can't really relate to complaints about the story and characters since I really don't care. The best I can say is that it's more entertaining than Graces in that respect. It's serviceable and hasn't made me cringe, so it's fine so far.

I do have some complaints about the gameplay systems, though. I spoke earlier about the lack of a character progression system and how the skill system was growing on me a bit, but once I realized that the union bonuses seem to be better than everything else, dealing with equipment has actually become a dreaded experience. I actually dread getting a new piece of equipment, because it will make me have to stop everything I'm doing in the game and spend a bunch of time in menus comparing equipment. If the piece of equipment is the same name as another piece of equipment, then I also need to worry about whether I should fuse it or not, which is a pain because they don't even let you see the skill grid from the fusion screen. This system just isn't "fun" for me. I was hoping that Normin would always be able to add a skill to equipment somehow, which would go a loooong way toward fixing this system for me, but alas, it seems to be a one-time deal for each Normin.

I tend to waffle a lot, though, so uh... I guess possibly look forward to a future post where I change my mind about this completely.

Allied AI in battle is also becoming an issue. It was mentioned earlier and I commented on it, but at this point I can't even figure out how to get the AI to prioritize healing. The AI settings that would seem to lead to that based on their description don't seem to have a major effect. I have to experiment more, but it's possible that the system is just busted.

Bladenic

There's legitimate criticisms, but that tumblr post is a jumbled mess of complaints, nearly half of which stem from displeasure at the treatment of
two characters who get shafted
, which is somehow a sign of how the game is an incomplete mess designed to eat money when Bamco releases the inevitable 'complete' version.

If you don't mind story/character spoilers, consider that the tumblr linked heavily favors
Dezel in its design and is the poster's avatar, and that Dezel happens to be one of the shafted characters, then obviously he/she's going to be upset
. Even 2ch is more civil and coherent than that rant, and it's 2ch!

Although, it seems many of the JP posters are resigned to being suckered into buying any other editions in the future since they talk about a future port/version constantly.

The rant is just that, a rant. Incoherent, jumbled, angry mess.

However, while the rant is mainly about characters/story, it does also delve into the gameplay and systems too, so it's not just about story/shafted characters. And the complaints about the gameplay are things that been worrying for quite some time for me based on previews and info, mainly regarding the Kamui system.

But meh, who knows? I'll wait for the NA version and see for myself (I keep saying that yet I keep posting and spoiling stuff for myself lmao oh well).

Stuart444

I can't really relate to complaints about the story and characters since I really don't care. The best I can say is that it's more entertaining than Graces in that respect. It's serviceable and hasn't made me cringe, so it's fine so far.

I do have some complaints about the gameplay systems, though. I spoke earlier about the lack of a character progression system and how the skill system was growing on me a bit, but once I realized that the union bonuses seem to be better than everything else, dealing with equipment has actually become a dreaded experience. I actually dread getting a new piece of equipment, because it will make me have to stop everything I'm doing in the game and spend a bunch of time in menus comparing equipment. If the piece of equipment is the same name as another piece of equipment, then I also need to worry about whether I should fuse it or not, which is a pain because they don't even let you see the skill grid from the fusion screen. This system just isn't "fun" for me. I was hoping that Normin would always be able to add a skill to equipment somehow, which would go a loooong way toward fixing this system for me, but alas, it seems to be a one-time deal for each Normin.

I tend to waffle a lot, though, so uh... I guess possibly look forward to a future post where I change my mind about this completely.

Allied AI in battle is also becoming an issue. It was mentioned earlier and I commented on it, but at this point I can't even figure out how to get the AI to prioritize healing. The AI settings that would seem to lead to that based on their description don't seem to have a major effect. I have to experiment more, but it's possible that the system is just busted.

Hmm, thanks for the comments on this stuff then. Guess I'll see how I feel when I get it but based on the AI thing, I guess I'll be keeping a closer eye on my health for manual healing if the AI won't do it.

Aeana

The rant is just that, a rant. Incoherent, jumbled, angry mess.

However, while the rant is mainly about characters/story, it does also delve into the gameplay and systems too, so it's not just about story/shafted characters. And the complaints about the gameplay are things that been worrying for quite some time for me based on previews and info, mainly regarding the Kamui system.

But meh, who knows? I'll wait for the NA version and see for myself (I keep saying that yet I keep posting and spoiling stuff for myself lmao oh well).

I don't want to read the tumblr, but what's the complaint about the kamui system?

Peff

I don't want to read the tumblr, but what's the complaint about the kamui system?

Every fused character having the same animations and attacks regardless of the human and the forced 2 humans/2 tenzoku thing, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: People worried about spoilers shouldn't read that, btw, it drops a lot of bombs out of the blue.

Kanann

I was very sick of a lot of custom skills here and there
so I did everything random (didn't care), it's turn out to be decent (playing on second difficulty)

but story is ok...because I also didn't care must on that section

:/

Mendrox

Hmm I am now 7,5 hours in with a friend of mine.

Positiv:

I like the music
I like the scene transitions
Kamui is cool
Characters are nice (Sorey is not annoying, Lailah is funny, Alisha is cute...)

Negativ:

The god damn camera, this is sometimes unplayable
FPS drop down quiet often (in Kamui form)
Sometimes I don't know what I have to do and it's to specific... but it's not that bad, hard to tell and quiet confusing
Maps are too big and we don't even have sprint, warping is too expensive
Skill system is confusing, can somebody help?

Well we will see, but a second version will surely come..
Alisha seems not important, she is gone now in our game with a stupid excuse. Story is okay right now and we will see, but sometimes the game feels "locked" hard to explain

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

I see you have the same problems with the game as me - allies not healing you (I set them to do it when over 75% and they still keep attacking) and skills bonuses being to good. To be honest for the last few hours I didn't even touch my equipment. I got a TON of new items, but since I don't really need money, they're just there and I'm strong enough to win most battles without any problems, so who cares. Maybe I'll play with the items before the last boss or a hard dungeon.

Speaking of, right now I'm ~26 hours in and I'm (late/end? game spoiler)
searching for all the orbs that I've missed and luckily I have only 4 left, but still it just involves me warping around and doing some boring things
. I really hate when RPGs do this. I really hope that after I'm done it'll be the last dungeon/boss and I won't have to run around those fields again. As much fun as the combat is, traversing is a huge pain, since the fields are so big and you can't teleport to certain places.

Falk

that puzzling face
Does the game have a sprint in grade shop?

Planning out my runs now since my copy is arriving 'soon', and I'm thinking it's probably going to be best as usual to rush through to NG+ to do the usual uber-boosts for a 100% 2nd playthrough.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I do not like Lailah. A walking plot in all the wrong ways.
I know shit. But i don't feel like saying shit.

Bladenic

I do not like Lailah. A walking plot in all the wrong ways.
I know shit. But i don't feel like saying shit.

Funny, you just described Jade Curtiss to a T. Also funny how (spoiled was revealed in previews but just spoiling in case)
he's a cameo fight in this game

Aeana

Funny, you just described Jade Curtiss to a T. Also funny how (spoiled was revealed in previews but just spoiling in case)
he's a cameo fight in this game
No, no. She hasn't talked about how ancient she is every 5 minutes like he did.

Voror

Is the camera something that could be conceivably patched? Or unlikely given how it's likely due to the game design itself?

Falk

that puzzling face
Is the camera something that could be conceivably patched? Or unlikely given how it's likely due to the game design itself?

One solution that a lot of people have mentioned is simply making terrain that is close to the camera (z-buffer algorithm could probably accomplish this really easily) become translucent/transparent if it is obscuring any active objects (enemies, player characters, etc).

Whether Tales engine is capable of that, or if it will be done even if it's possible, who knows.

Aeana

If they just made the camera go through walls and then make any walls obstructing the view transparent, that'd fix it. But I don't know if they'd bother.

It's not a HUGE issue. It happens, certainly, but in the grand scheme of the game, most battles are fought in open spaces.

Voror

It's not a game design itself but rather how the camera is coded.

Ah, my mistake.

One solution that a lot of people have mentioned is simply making terrain that is close to the camera (z-buffer algorithm could probably accomplish this really easily) become translucent/transparent.

Whether Tales engine is capable of that, or if it will be done even if it's possible, who knows.

It'd be nice if they actually explored the option since it seems to be a pretty big negative on the whole experience.

Of course, if they do end up doing a PS4 version, then I wouldn't be surprised if that's when it gets fixed. Though I don't know whether that's been done with the other instances where they've done a port to another system.

Did the original versions of Graces and Vesperia have any gameplay issues that were corrected in the new versions? The only one I can recall hearing was some issue with Graces saves.

If they just made the camera go through walls and then make any walls obstructing the view transparent, that'd fix it. But I don't know if they'd bother.

It's not a HUGE issue. It happens, certainly, but in the grand scheme of the game, most battles are fought in open spaces.

Well, I suppose that's something, though if it were occurring during something big like a boss battle then I imagine that could be troublesome.

Top Bottom