• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

demidar

Around 15 hours on the clock and enough playing for today.
I finally got out on an open field that felt really big. The view was nice, but it really felt empty, both enemy and tree-wise. I think Xenoblade did a much better job of making these kind of areas feel majestic, but not dead.

Xenoblade also gave you really fast movement speed (compared to other RPGs, even open world ones).

Soriku

If anything, I ranted about this in the Tales community thread but on my Graces revisit last month, the future arc felt really tacked-on to me. Hence, if you were to consider:

- Tales of Graces is a complete game, Tales of Graces f is an extra
vs
- Tales of Graces is an incomplete game, Tales of Graces f finally makes it complete,

I'd say I feel more of the former than the latter. So really, it's all about perspective.

IMO the Future Arc wraps up the game much better than the vague original ending. But the main game hardly feels like a "beta" without it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't know man.

The entire game was built around following
LambdaRichard
around and finally putting an end to him.
Fodra Queen
came out of the blue after that and is the very definition of "lol here i am i'm the real final boss" trope-wise.

Future arc gives glimpses into what happens after to the setting/characters (which is kinda cool, as it is with any 'sequel' to a JRPG, from Advent Children to FFX-2, to TAY (yeah i said it) to Xillia 2/Symphonia 2) but then invents a new opposition just to give a plot motivation for the added gameplay shenanigans that had virtually no foreshadowing throughout the entire game. Hence, tacked on. Like I said in my rant, it could better have existed as a 3-part OVA.

But we're going off on a tangent :V I'm up for discussing this more over on Tales community.

Datschge

Around 15 hours on the clock and enough playing for today.
I finally got out on an open field that felt really big. The view was nice, but it really felt empty, both enemy and tree-wise. I think Xenoblade did a much better job of making these kind of areas feel majestic, but not dead.
Yeah, Xenoblade is definitely unbeaten in this regard.

Soriku

I don't know man.

The entire game was built around following
LambdaRichard
around and finally putting an end to him.
Fodra Queen
came out of the blue after that and is the very definition of "lol here i am i'm the real final boss" trope-wise.

Future arc gives glimpses into what happens after to the setting/characters (which is kinda cool, as it is with any 'sequel' to a JRPG, from Advent Children to FFX-2, to TAY (yeah i said it) to Xillia 2/Symphonia 2) but then invents a new opposition just to give a plot motivation for the added gameplay shenanigans that had virtually no foreshadowing throughout the entire game. Hence, tacked on. Like I said in my rant, it could better have existed as a 3-part OVA.

But we're going off on a tangent :V I'm up for discussing this more over on Tales community.

Yeah the whole Fodra Queen stuff is tacked on, but everything else regarding the cast (especially Sophie), plus clarifying the ending, felt well done to me.

Voror

Largely liking what I've been reading about it thus far, though a shame they didn't bring back something similar to the system from Graces with how Titles were done. The weapon upgrade system sounds less maddening than the one from Graces though thankfully.

I also quite like the opening song and imagery.

All this just reminds me I still need to get around to playing Vesperia on my 360 at some point.

Aeana

MasterLL's videos keep mentioning how the AI won't even follow tactics. Anyone else finding the AI to be shit?

At first, it seemed like they weren't doing what I told them to, but I found out that it's because several of the things depend on others (or, that is to say, it seems like one behavior can be overridden by a setting in another category in some cases). I haven't experimented in-depth, but I was at least able to get the behavior I wanted (for the most part).

RalchAC

At first, it seemed like they weren't doing what I told them to, but I found out that it's because several of the things depend on others (or, that is to say, it seems like one behavior can be overridden by a setting in another category in some cases). I haven't experimented in-depth, but I was at least able to get the behavior I wanted (for the most part).

Does Zestiria have strategy shortcuts? It was great in Vesperia but they never added that feature in Graces, Xillia and Xillia 2. It may seem a minor annoyance, but it piss me off quite a lot since I've already enjoyed that commodity.

Loved that Hearts R had it. It so comfortable (you can have a healing focused build, a attack focused build and a defense focused build for enemie overlimits) to be able to switch them in 2-3 seconds and go back to the action...

Aeana

Does Zestiria have strategy shortcuts? It was great in Vesperia but they never added that feature in Graces, Xillia and Xillia 2. It may seem a minor annoyance, but it piss me off quite a lot since I've already enjoyed that commodity.

Loved that Hearts R had it. It so comfortable (you can have a healing focused build, a attack focused build and a defense focused build for enemie overlimits) to be able to switch them in 2-3 seconds and go back to the action...
It doesn't have shortcuts you can set up, but you can use the right stick to do generalized orders. i.e., everyone attack my target, everyone attack a different target, etc.

Mifec

For the person who told me to cave in and play Vesperia PS3 untranslated yesterday

I knew waiting all those years would be worth it

Pikachu025 - Status Report

Hey, everyone. Since we've now entered the year 2015, I figured I should report on where this stands. Sadly, we didn't quite make the end of 2014 release that I've hoped for, but don't fret, we're still going! The automated patching tool is done, the online script and menu reference site is essentially done, we just need a bit more polishing on our text. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, this should be done within a month.

Just in time for me to get home from the UK.

I guess I'll just keep my Jap Zestiria copy so I can undub it with then in case there will be no dual audio.

Datschge

There is an active Tales series community thread for such posts.

---

To add some more staff listing impressions: It's so odd to see a Tales one with so many live musicians (hope they were used for some Sakuraba music as well...) and without Eiji Kikuchi, Shinichiro Okamoto and Makoto Yoshidumi.

Datschge

What!? I thought Kikuchi was a given!? Was he let go when they merged!? wtf
Not necessarily, he may still be at BN Studios, just not in a position necessary to credit. Either that or he went after the move was completed (ToSC from last year still credited him). *shrugs*

Fisico

Did Yoshidumi left Namco or something also ? (that's what his twitter account seems to say)

Time for the new generation I guess, but still.

Datschge

Did Yoshidumi left Namco or something also ? (that's what his twitter account seems to say)

Time for the new generation I guess, but still.
No, Yoshidumi is (as only one of the three) mentioned in the special thanks section still.

It's just quite some change, Kikuchi was credited as general director (likely as the studio manager) in all games, Yoshidumi seemed responsible for the formation of Tales Studio after Destiny 2 and moved from producer to general producer when Baba took over, Okamoto was development producer for a lot of games, e.g. all "Team Destiny" ones.

Don't think they were involved much in actually creating the games. Most likely they did just management stuff that's no longer necessary now that everything is within BN Studios? Who knows.

Got my copy yesterday. I'm not very far but I already feel like i'm having a much harder time playing this in Japanese than previous games. My Japanese is slipping like crazy, I understood exactly what was going on in Xillia 2 but seriously struggling here. Is the game just using harder words or am I just forgetting the language?

RalchAC

It doesn't have shortcuts you can set up, but you can use the right stick to do generalized orders. i.e., everyone attack my target, everyone attack a different target, etc.

Well, that's better than nothing, I guess. Still, I don't understand how that feature hasn't appeared on any game since Vesperia. It couldn't be that hard to implement.

But, does that mean you can't map artes to the right stick anymore?

No, Yoshidumi is (as only one of the three) mentioned in the special thanks section still.

It's just quite some change, Kikuchi was credited as general director (likely as the studio manager) in all games, Yoshidumi seemed responsible for the formation of Tales Studio after Destiny 2 and moved from producer to general producer when Baba took over, Okamoto was development producer for a lot of games, e.g. all "Team Destiny" ones.

Don't think they were involved much in actually creating the games. Most likely they did just management stuff that's no longer necessary now that everything is within BN Studios? Who knows.

What does exactly Baba do? I don't understand what's his role at all lol.

Datschge

What does exactly Baba do? I don't understand what's his role at all lol.
That you need to ask him yourself. =P
For a short time (around Vesperia) he had the title "brand manager" which probably describes his role best. I'd guess he's the PR head to the public and likely the first contact between all the different involved parties (developer/publisher side, animation studio, seiyu and jpop management etc.).

Aeana

B8Kfh2NCAAI9zxK.png:large

B8JYdAJCEAAgpPv.png:large

The battle camera in this game is so good, guys.

Datschge

Yes, whenever the PC stands with the back to a wall the cam gets crazy as it's not allowed to get behind the wall. Biggest issue in Zestiria and really odd, that they didn't tackle it at all. Need to be manually corrected by the player just like back in Mario 64 days. =P

RangerBAD

Yes, whenever the PC stands with the back to a wall the cam gets crazy as it's not allowed to get behind the wall. Biggest issue in Zestiria and really odd, that they didn't tackle it at all. Need to be manually corrected by the player just like back in Mario 64 days. =P

They'll patch it in the form of Zestiria PS4. lol Full price patch.

Falk

that puzzling face
Beg to disagree. Seamless in dungeons sets up for a lot of interesting situations.

Although the occasional awkward spot does get annoying.

Just got Rose in my party and I'm already loving her to death. Really digging the party dynamic in this game, especially compared to the last few Tales games.

Edit: I've only really had a few issues with the camera going wacky in tight spaces, but I'd be really sad if it wasn't seamless in dungeons too. It's been fun using parts of the environment to my advantage.

So, how is the side content in the game? Is it on the same level of previous games? Is there more? Is it better? Fetch/Killing quests? Marks? Discovering secret locations on the map?

I know someone mentioned a bit about it before, but I just wanted to ask again
I'm a sucker for good side content =X

Rhapsody

Banned
I suppose I'll find out when I get the game. I really hope it's not "too" frequent.

I do like the idea though. I guess if anything, the blame goes to the bad camera and not the idea.

Jiraiza

Got started on the game today, glad to know Maison(?)'s death wasn't received as poorly as it was in the OVA, haha.

As usual, the AI leaves a lot to be desired.

Bladenic

Seems like usual for Tales. Aka improvements on some fronts then completely stupid back steps on things that weren't issues before.

Bosses can be comboed past 12 hits again, yay. But there's now camera issues, in a Tales game lmao. It's definitley due to the seamless nature, though I think it's because they still have a battlefield. If it was like say, FFXII, this wouldn't have been an issue or as bad.

Regardless I'm gonna try (but probably fail) to stop watching footage and wait to get my hands on it myself. It seems to have been received pretty well so far, minus some issues and everyone going nuts over the Alisha stuff.

Corgi

Banned
so whats the benefits of the 'seemless transitions'?

Can you take advantage of terrain ala Last Story, can you at the very least vault off walls?

Top Bottom