• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Falk

that puzzling face
It's probably more likely turn out that 'avoiding running into camera issues via skilled play' will be seen as something that players need to develop.

Because Japan.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay. I guess they knew they fucked up on camera because L2 during battle changes it to a semi-birds eye view with no obstructions.

Oh bloody hell. The camera angel is fixed. What the fuck.

Aeana

Okay. I guess they knew they fucked up on camera because L2 during battle changes it to a semi-birds eye view with no obstructions.
Does it? I'm 10 hours into the game and ashamed to admit that I may never have pressed this button, since I don't remember such a view. I'll check it out.

demidar

Oh bloody hell. The camera angel is fixed. What the fuck.

That's what happens when you piss off the camera angel; she gives you the most obstructive views.

kayos90

What the fuck does R2 do in Kamui? Is is just the heal? It seems like it was just the heal but for some reason I go into a certain pose mid-combo.

Datschge

One solution that a lot of people have mentioned is simply making terrain that is close to the camera (z-buffer algorithm could probably accomplish this really easily) become translucent/transparent if it is obscuring any active objects (enemies, player characters, etc).
The fun part is that making objects between player character and camera transparent as a feature already existed in past entries.

I guess doing this with walls could have opened another can of worms (if not handled correctly it could allow the player to literally look behind the facade, look into other rooms or how the environment models are arranged behind the scene etc.) which they might have decided to be too much effort to fix correctly. I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of design decisions in this game are imo clearly primarily compromises to not run into technical limitations.

Does the game have a sprint in grade shop?

Planning out my runs now since my copy is arriving 'soon', and I'm thinking it's probably going to be best as usual to rush through to NG+ to do the usual uber-boosts for a 100% 2nd playthrough.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but there's a passive ability that increases your speed for a limited amount of time every time you fight an encounter or listen to an NPC conversation(without using the talk command). Later you can get 2 of this ability, and they stack so the effect lasts longer.

Regarding equipment, I've been playing it like a regular Tales game and upgrading gear at every shop without considering their abilities. I figured that spending a bunch of time on abilities would be somewhat meaningless, assuming that stuff just ends up being replaced by better stuff later. My damage and defenses have been keeping up relatively well, though I'm also underlevelled so my AI tends to die pretty often.

Now that I'm a little further in the game, here's some more random combat stuff I noticed:
-Magic is unblockable unless in kamui. When in normal mode you have to parry or dodge it like in Graces F.
-Parrying gives you a ton of blast gauge, especially if you're in kamui. Combined with might charge 2 for free gauge, you can gain a lot of meter just from blocking and parrying stuff. Especially handy for bosses.
-Using 2 steps resets your might charge counter. You can do a loop of sidestep/parry, backstep, block over and over again until your bar reaches max.
-I mentioned before that when a combo ends the enemy gets invincibility, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It looks like there's a window of invincibility when the enemy is recovering from hitstun, and if you attack during this window, the invincibility extends for a long time(like 2-3 seconds?).
-Enemies also tend to have armor during attack active frames and some of its recovery, especially bosses. I've had the most success with staggering when the enemy is at neutral or at the end of its recovery.
-Steps adding to the chain counter turned out to be a huge buff for casters. Unlike Graces F, cancelling a spell to dodge an attack and cast again is a strong offensive option since the added movement will reduce your casting speed dramatically. If you want to only use one spell that takes a long time to cast, you can just do multiple steps out of neutral to add to the counter, then cast it with the speed buff. Also useful for managing spacing between the enemy and the caster while maintaining offense.
-Holding the spell button while casting it lets you switch targets without using R1 and stopping time. Probably a good thing to know if you're going to play with other people.
-If a caster gets hit while casting, there is a chance they will autoguard it(higher chance if caster is resistant to attack element), and the spell they're casting will come out much faster. This addition is actually more useful for the enemy than the party, since it means if you attack an enemy caster, sometimes your attack will just bounce off them and they'll cast some deadly spell instantly. I find that it's just not worth the risk, so I usually ignore them and attack something else, then parry the spell when it comes out.
-Potential bug with the "attack weaknesses" strategy config for AI(?) If you encounter an enemy that the character has no weakness for, the AI will just stand around and do nothing, even if you change the AI in the strategy menu to something else. I had to issue a defense command to force them to do stuff again. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

What the fuck does R2 do in Kamui? Is is just the heal? It seems like it was just the heal but for some reason I go into a certain pose mid-combo.

At neutral it casts the heal, but if you cancel an attack with it you get a very slow attack that deals a decent amount of damage. Both options use a gauge.

Aeana

The tools I wrote for Tales of Xillia way back when (back when everybody quoted me in news stories saying Xillia had localization potential due to the multi-language support in the datafiles) work with a very slight modification with this game's files, which means I have (most of) the text extracted. I have a preliminary viewer tool that will allow searching the text and copying it to the clipboard which I made for a friend long ago to use as an aid to look up kanji more easily while playing Tales of Xillia as well, but it's only useful for people who are able to type Japanese, obviously. I've never released anything like this before -- it's just something I do because I like the challenge of reverse-engineering stuff -- but if those who are actually playing it think it would be useful to them, I'm willing to do so, with the caveat that I don't really plan to offer a lot of support for this stuff.

So yeah, if anyone's interested, I'll throw the stuff up somewhere. If not, that's cool too.

Bladenic

For anyone further along the story, can you elaborate on the characters in your opinion. Is it true that
Sorey, Mikleo, Rose, and Lailah are basically the only ones that matter and have any significant lines, while Alisha, other 3 Tenzoku, and even important seeming NPCs don't matter or are swept under the rug just like nothing?

Fisico

That you need to ask him yourself. =P
For a short time (around Vesperia) he had the title "brand manager" which probably describes his role best. I'd guess he's the PR head to the public and likely the first contact between all the different involved parties (developer/publisher side, animation studio, seiyu and jpop management etc.).

I thought about asking him, but I found that question to not be respectful enough and I was afraid they would just answer the usual PR stuff and that having a proper answer would require insisting on the point more than it's really worth to (making it also a loss of time, considering that you are always restricted on that aspect when interviewing him).

In the end I came with the same conclusion that you did, which is not exactly the way most people are seeing him nowadays.

Finalow

The tools I wrote for Tales of Xillia way back when (back when everybody quoted me in news stories saying Xillia had localization potential due to the multi-language support in the datafiles) work with a very slight modification with this game's files, which means I have (most of) the text extracted. I have a preliminary viewer tool that will allow searching the text and copying it to the clipboard which I made for a friend long ago to use as an aid to look up kanji more easily while playing Tales of Xillia as well, but it's only useful for people who are able to type Japanese, obviously. I've never released anything like this before -- it's just something I do because I like the challenge of reverse-engineering stuff -- but if those who are actually playing it think it would be useful to them, I'm willing to do so, with the caveat that I don't really plan to offer a lot of support for this stuff.

So yeah, if anyone's interested, I'll throw the stuff up somewhere. If not, that's cool too.
um, if I can search for whatever kanji and look that up here on my pc or get the reading out of it, it should definitely help me. (considering that there is no furigana the alternatives are to just ignore it, search it by the reading if it's from a voiced cut-scene or draw it on a denshi jisho, this last option is rather annoying >;>)
it seems the most similar thing to a text hooker that I could use.

Highwind

So what is the general verdict on the game from people playing it/completed it? Been playing Tales games since Eternia and I didn't really enjoy Xillia that much due to the combo and upgrade system with bosses, but quite liked Xillia 2 for the changes to both (spent close to 90 hours playing it) and the story I guess. The last game I enjoyed and completed fully was Tales of Vesperia PS3.

Datschge

In the end I came with the same conclusion that you did, which is not exactly the way most people are seeing him nowadays.
Yeah. For Namco producers the thing to keep in mind is that nearly all of them have a background in PR, usually having started in the promotion, sales or something unit. The sole exception I recall right now is Higuchi who actually came from the developer side and is back there now, being part of BN Studios instead BN Games.

In general rather few Japanese producers seem to have a background in development nowadays.

kayos90

Is it me or is this
Gorgon Boss
an absolute bitch. What the fuck? I do like no damage to her.

kayos90

The thing about that fight which really upset me was the total lack of save point anywhere near her.

You have to run back which is hellish annoying. Why is this boss basically unstaggerable and practically immune to everything. This is so bullshit. I'm getting flashbacks to the fucking slimeboss in Graces.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The thing about that fight which really upset me was the total lack of save point anywhere near her.
Wait, which boss are you talking about? I might've not paid attention, but I can't recall that one.

kayos90

Wait, which boss are you talking about? I might've not paid attention, but I can't recall that one.

The one where you follow the assassin guild's secret passage out of the Ladylake Mansion. There's a boss in the sewer that is of the Gorgon archtype.

You guys are going to have to use and abuse the Quick Save option. In the EX Dungeon there's no save points at all.

Fuck. This. Shit.

Aeana

You guys are going to have to use and abuse the Quick Save option. In the EX Dungeon there's no save points at all.

I just assumed quick save would delete itself upon loading, and would thus be useless for doing anything but suspending the game. Is that not the case?

kayos90

I just assumed quick save would delete itself upon loading, and would thus be useless for doing anything but suspending the game. Is that not the case?

No. It's the same as Xillia 1 and 2.

EDIT: Just saying, the game has been relatively easy on Hard mode but this fucking boss made me want to just rip hairs out.

dramatis

Fuck. This. Shit.
Well to be fair there's a save point at the entrance of the dungeon. The bosses are located at the end of various branches filled with monsters, and there's no save points before the bosses or just outside of the branches which connect to the 'hub' area. If you want to do the bosses in succession without having to run all the way back to the save point each time, you use quick save.

If anyone is interested, here are some trophy tips from me. Sorry if some have already been covered:

ライブラブラリ: Open the Library every time you see "AP Increased by 1" (it doesn't count if you just keep opening it) 50 times

サポートの達人and 風になったワタシ I got basically at the same time: After you get the sprint ability, just run around town and you'll speed up without having to do anything. Keep doing this and it'll level up the support ability also, which will get you both trophies.

僕と私のブラスティア: In Kamui form, I just guarded and bunch until my BG went to 9 and got the trophy. No need for any weapon farming, it seems.

オヤッツァー・フォー: When you get ALL party members in your party (end game) change all their support abilities to food making and tape your sticks together and wait over night (in real time). By then you should have made all the food.

殊勝な師匠: Sleep at Rastonbell (Lastonbell?) Inn and you'll see some chats where the characters will exchange some support abilities. The trophy popped for me right then.

お得意サマー: Get about 100,000 gald total (I got 50,000 and then sold everything I had to get the rest) Then pick whichever shop you have the highest rank already and buy everything, then sell it back. The only things left to buy are gummies and life bottles, so buy those 15 at a time, then sell back. Repeat until level max. I checked, and Inns don't count for this trophy.

薬草100本: including the hidden dungeon and subquest dungeons (one not linked to the main story) there are about 120 herbs, so just pick up the ones you see and visit every map marker you see and you'll get it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quite excited for this actually. Just finished playing Graces F and have to agree with the opinion on the battle system being the best. The issue was everything else in the game was horrid and the constant breakup of combat. Didn't get to any decent dungeons till the end.

So if this is its combat system a bit with a quality overmap and decent characters.

Weiss

Banned
So what are the impressions of the cast so far? Is Sorey a good main? Do the rest of the characters make a good impression? The only Tales casts I ever outright hated were the Abyss and Graces characters, so my acceptance of cheesy JRPG writing is pretty good.

Top Bottom