• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Saphirax

Well PSN refuse to take my money. Double checked my payment info they did not change since my last purchase last week. Only tell me an error has occurred, no details. Sigh..
Were you trying to buy it via the web store? Quite a few people have been having issues for weeks now. Try buying it directly from your ps4.

Jolkien

Were you trying to buy it via the web store? Quite a few people have been having issues for weeks now. Try buying it directly from your ps4.

Straight on my PS4 I get credit card information is invalid. I double checked and everything is OK. I get the same error using my card directly or going through PayPal... Odd

LowParry

Combat feels a bit stiff but just getting used to moving from DQHeros to this. Having to use L2 to free run takes some minor getting used to. But that OP for the game. A damn shame we didn't get the vocals with it because it's a really cool song.

Alex

Battle camera needed some work but other than that it's been a lot of fun. Skipped Xillia so I haven't played since Graces.

I do think that Graces had my favorite gameplay in a Tales game but the characters were very bland in that one, sadly. I like the cast here, thus far, good voice work too.

Cerity

What should I expect out of this, trope wise? I tried playing symphonia some time ago but my eyes could only roll so far back into my head.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What should I expect out of this, trope wise? I tried playing symphonia some time ago but my eyes could only roll so far back into my head.

Trope wise it's not any better, play it for the fluid game play. Story and characters will not wow you in any way.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

All the Tales of Games are fairly tropey. Only early in, but from what I spotted (marking as spoilers, but these are really only from the first 3-4 hours of the game):

-Main character is a good natured & innocent person who lives on top of a mountain with a race of creatures (who just look like humans but dressed funny) that only certain humans can see, who found him as a baby and raised him.
-Has a mostly emotionless, but charismatic best friend, a guy with short hair who looks a bit girly and is the brains behind the two of them.
-Meets a girl passed out in a ruin who turns out to a princess who is also a knight.
-Monsters are overtaking the land, more-so some sort of phenomenon is going on that if humans hearts get to a certain level of corruption, they turn into literal monsters themselves.
-Some advanced monsters, like the people our main character lives with, can't be seen by most humans, and more-so some monsters can even disguise themselves as human, wolf wearing mens clothes kind of deal.
-There is a foretold hero, known as the "Shepherd," who is destined to lead the world to light. Our main character turns out to be the Shepherd, and proves as such by pulling out an Excalibur-esque sword.
-More-so, this sword has a spirit attached to it, another being only certain people can see, who our main character forms a pact with to be able to pull out the sword and accept the destiny and responsibility of being the Shepherd.
-There's an evil councilor in the castle, but the weird part is the people of the castle seem to know he's evil.

What I've spotted/remember so far, but I've enjoyed it well enough so far. The English dub I will second is actually pretty good so far.

Mendrox

What's the NG+ like? I generally don't do Ng+ in most games.

You collect "Grade" after fights (which is affected by hit combo, taking dmg in battle etc.). After you finish your game you are able to use the Grade Shop by starting New Game Plus where you are able to buy perks for your new playthrough. In this game you have the following things to buy:

• Inherit Lord of the Land - 0
  • Inherit Library - 5
  • Inherit Shop Levels - 5
  • Inherit Normin - 5
  • Inherit Hi Ougi - 5
  • Inherit Titles - 100
  • Inherit Support Talents - 20
  • Inherit Battle Acts - 5
  • Inherit Arte usage - 50
  • Increase Item Capacity - 250
  • Inherit Consumables - 50
  • Inherit Visual Items - 50
  • Inherit Herbs - 400
  • Inherit Special Items - 50
  • Inherit Unsigned Equipment - 50
  • Treasure Navigation - 100
  • Favor of a Favor - 200
  • Exp Half Battle Act - 20
  • Exp Double Battle Act - 200
  • Exp Triple Battle Act - 1000
  • Exp Gald Battle Act - 20
  • Gald Double Battle Act - 700
  • Arte Learning Rate Double Battle Act - 300
  • Normin Double Battle Act - 500
  • Drop Double Battle Act - 30
  • Extend Skill Battle Act - 8000
  • Grade Double Battle Act - 500
  • Advance Divine Battle Act - 100
  • Effect Rate Double Battle Act - 700
  • Double Damage Battle Act - 100
  • HP +1000 - 500
  • HP +1000 - 500

ivb_1973

Banned
All the Tales of Games are fairly tropey. Only early in, but from what I spotted (marking as spoilers, but these are really only from the first 3-4 hours of the game):

-Main character is a good natured & innocent person who lives on top of a mountain with a race of creatures (who just look like humans but dressed funny) that only certain humans can see, who found him as a baby and raised him.
-Has a mostly emotionless, but charismatic best friend, a guy with short hair who looks a bit girly and is the brains behind the two of them.
-Meets a girl passed out in a ruin who turns out to a princess who is also a knight.
-Monsters are overtaking the land, more-so some sort of phenomenon is going on that if humans hearts get to a certain level of corruption, they turn into literal monsters themselves.
-Some advanced monsters, like the people our main character lives with, can't be seen by most humans, and more-so some monsters can even disguise themselves as human, wolf wearing mens clothes kind of deal.
-There is a foretold hero, known as the "Shepherd," who is destined to lead the world to light. Our main character turns out to be the Shepherd, and proves as such by pulling out an Excalibur-esque sword.
-More-so, this sword has a spirit attached to it, another being only certain people can see, who our main character forms a pact with to be able to pull out the sword and accept the destiny and responsibility of being the Shepherd.
-There's an evil councilor in the castle, but the weird part is the people of the castle seem to know he's evil.

What I've spotted/remember so far, but I've enjoyed it well enough so far. The English dub I will second is actually pretty good so far.

Seeing this I wonder why people keep playing 40+ hour story-driven games that are this dull. Seriously, I used to love this series and it's a shame :S

Dusk Golem

Seeing this I wonder why people keep playing 40+ hour story-driven games that are this dull. Seriously, I used to love this series and it's a shame :S

Tropey doesn't mean dull, but everyone enjoys different things. While a creative story full of unique philosophies, interesting twists, and all that can be appealing, there's also appeal in this. So far it's felt like a game version of an epic Fantasy anime, which some will loathe but there's definitely an audience for it. It also helps Zestiria has a pretty good soundtrack, some pretty good cutscene, enjoyable writing (some of it seems intentionally hammy, but enjoyably so), mixed with a combat system that's fairly fun, some good voice acting (English dub is actually pretty good thus far), and some pretty nice art direction. And of course, this is all super early in the game and I've only met like, not even half of the playable party members yet and there's no clear villain yet (outside of
one of the trickier monsters, who's something like a Fox demon thing that eats people in cold blood but seems more mindless than working under somebody for now
), so it is what it is. I'd argue the best entries in the Tales of series are also very full of tropes that can be simplified.

Mendrox

You shouldn't really make something out of his summary because it sounds way too dull. The music and everything else makes it way better than this..it's cliche, but it is good cliche.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member

Because I like it that way. I know the story is predictable and cliche, but I like the character dynamics, the skits, the humour, the setting etc. I would like it even more with a classic world map, but I think Zestiria does the job of fulfilling my tales of needs quite well :)

ivb_1973

Banned
Let's see if this game ends toying with it's own tropes to create interesting situations. I understand your point though I still don't find it appealing, but this is my thing so I cannot critizise you. I guess I'm mourning for the lost golden JRPG era, luckily I still have Occidental reinventions of the genre (OFF, Lisa, Undertale,..).

Anyway, if I want something well done and lighthearted now I know this is a good candidate. Thanks!

Kensuke

lol at some of those trophy/achievement descriptions. Good luck to whoever actually attempts something like this, it's gonna be 5+ playthroughs >_>

1 playthrough. You can unlock difficulties while playing.

300 battles on hard --> intense
400 battles on intense --> chaos

If you start on hard you get intense about a third into the game.

aravuus

Does playing on hard still raise the dropped item quality from moderate, or does it just increase gained gald? I don't care about gald but I want my item drop rates to be as good as possible, so I'm playing on moderate atm

Games good so far just got to the first town. The music is good and the corny humor is there as well. The english voice acting is really good. Constant frame drops due to my really old pc is a bummer but im happy it runs decent regardless of those frame drops.

Peff

Does playing on hard still raise the dropped item quality from moderate, or does it just increase gained gald? I don't care about gald but I want my item drop rates to be as good as possible, so I'm playing on moderate atm

Yes, playing on hard unlocks the ability to obtain weapons that have skills with double the effect, but the drops are relatively rare.

Kensuke

Yes, playing on hard unlocks the ability to obtain weapons that have skills with double the effect, but the drops are relatively rare.

Playing on harder difficulties increases your grade potential, which in turn increases item drops I believe. Besides the items with double skill effects I mean.

alekth

So I'm getting some pretty horrid stuttering on my 970 no matter what I try. Settings maxed, settings bottomed out, and oddly enough playing the game in Windowed Mode not only doesn't fix the issue but severely cripples the FPS.

Anyone have this issue and run into a fix?

I was getting this on my 970 regardless of ingame settings. Managed to get it fixed with custom settings from the NVidia control panel (Manage 3D settings, add game and customize). I think it was actually one of the antialiasing settings that did it, but not too sure as I started from the bottom of the list and grew progressively annoyed at restarting the game, and switching more and more things at once towards the end.

aravuus

Alrighty then, gonna bump it up to hard in that case. Even though the camera is terrible, the gameplay seems close enough to Graces f to make the gameplay fun enough even on harder difficulties.

Any other Tales game, or at least the ones with the regular TP system - moderate, tops. Graces f style system, though, gimme high difficulties fuck yea

Playing on harder difficulties increases your grade potential, which in turn increases item drops I believe. Besides the items with double skill effects I mean.

Grade potential, as in the grade gained in battles?

Lanrutcon

Actually, I think your ability to get double and triple depends on the amount of battles you've had on the various difficulties. If you've got more battles on normal than hard, you can't just flip over to hard and have a shot at doubles. You need to battle on hard until your battle count there is higher than normal first.

aravuus

Actually, I think your ability to get double and triple depends on the amount of battles you've had on the various difficulties. If you've got more battles on normal than hard, you can't just flip over to hard and have a shot at doubles. You need to battle on hard until your battle count there is higher than normal first.

Well I've literally done one fight on normal and 3 on moderate so far so getting those hard battle numbers above the others shouldn't take long lol

Wish I could take screenshots (print screen takes a pic of my desktop). The area after the first dungeon might a bit bland, but it's very very pretty.

Lanrutcon

Well I've literally done one fight on normal and 3 on moderate so far so getting those hard battle numbers above the others shouldn't take long lol

Wish I could take screenshots (print screen takes a pic of my desktop). The area after the first dungeon might a bit bland, but it's very very pretty.

Then it'll be more applicable to you when it comes time to go from Hard to Chaos :) Chaos is required for triples, I believe.

Dusk Golem

Yes, the potential Grade you can earn in battles is increased, of course if you do poorly in battles and such your Grade will be overall lower, but doing well in battles on Hard difficulty will net you more Grade than if you did just as well comparatively than Normal, basically means there's more Grade possible that can be earned, but of course the battles themselves are harder.

EDIT: As I typed this it was explained in far greater detail than I could of said it, but there you go.

aravuus

Then it'll be more applicable to you when it comes time to go from Hard to Chaos :) Chaos is required for triples, I believe.

With the apparently tiny amount of battles you fight in this game (what was it, someone said they'd logged over 15 hours already and barely 60 minutes of that was in battle? That's like 50-100 battles) I'm not sure I'll ever unlock chaos lol

Well, maybe towards the end of the game if I'm aiming for 100%. Which I probably will.

Dr Dogg

Does anyone have a good way of mapping the right analog stick to the right trackpad on the Steam controller?

I just set it up as a gamepad and then swapped the right trackpad to Joystick Move with adaptive centering turned off. I then usually play around with the deadzone thresholds & shape and adjust the sensitivity until I get it feeling responsive enough. Worked quite well for me in games that use x-input.

Kensuke

Yeah, you can get more grade on higher difficulties. Looked it up on gamefaqs.

Easy, Normal, Moderate, Hard, Intense, Chaos.

EXP: 1x 1x 0.9x 0.75x 0.6x 0.4x
Gald: 1x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Grade: 0.5x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Item use cooldown: 2s 4s 5s 8s 10s 16s

It's not much more. Your party also dies way easier on harder difficulties, which decreases grade.

Does higher difficulties unlock after a certain amount of battles like in Graces?

Yep, unlocked Intense after 300 hard battles.

Top Bottom