• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

kewlmyc

That was fast. But with that size I imagine it leaves it untouched if you've already renamed it?

Yup. If you renamed it, they have no way of knowing. They could create a patch that deletes the OP for everyone and redownloads the ENG one, but they didn't.

Durante

Yeah, that was only a matter of time. Since it's most likely licensing issues that made them change it in the first place, they could get in trouble for distributing it.
It's nice enough that they had it in there in the first place - made the replacement even easier.

That was fast. But with that size I imagine it leaves it untouched if you've already renamed it?
You should just make a backup copy of it just in case. Of course, I'm sure it will be widely distributed online.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glad I took the time to install the game yesterday and make a backup of the file, even though I'll only start playing it today.

Yeah, that was only a matter of time. Since it's most likely licensing issues that made them change it in the first place, they could get in trouble for distributing it.
It's nice enough that they had it in there in the first place - made the replacement even easier.

You should just make a backup copy of it just in case. Of course, I'm sure it will be widely distributed online.

Eh, I think you could even download the OP from YouTube and convert it to bk2.

Gbraga

I love it that in the tutorial dungeon they have a Crystal Cave bridge, but after the player already figured out what's going on, they need to tell you outright in, like, 3 cutscenes. And then make it shiny to make sure you don't miss it.

There's a 1mb patch on Steam that gracefully deletes your JP movie files.
I'm glad I have a backup file ready just in case. :D

What do you mean? I'll have english cutscenes when playing with japanese voices after this patch?

Durante

What do you mean? I'll have english cutscenes when playing with japanese voices after this patch?
You have the exact same thing as before, don't worry. What they did is they accidentally shipped the Opening movie of the Japanese release (with lyrics) with the initial version. There was no way to access it other than to rename the file, and that file is gone now.

kewlmyc

Part of me thinks someone down at the port office kept the file in there on purpose. :p

I mean, with the way it was named, how did they not see this?

Is it true that you can't change voices mid game?

True, but you can do it after the beginning of the main menu screen. At least on PC.

Gbraga

You have the exact same thing as before, don't worry. What they did is they accidentally shipped the Opening movie of the Japanese release (with lyrics) with the initial version. There was no way to access it other than to rename the file, and that file is gone now.

Oh, ok. Will probably rename it before patching it today then, but it's not a big deal.

SoraNoKuni

Ghhh, so is the port actually ok?
I don't mind the 30fps cap at all, 60fps would be great but well.. it's ok.
If only the situation in Greece wasn't so f*cked up and I could get the game..

aravuus

Is there a way to see how many bonuses/whatever I can get from each title, or is it always 5? As in, every title's max rank is 5?

Ghhh, so is the port actually ok?
I don't mind the 30fps cap at all, 60fps would be great but well.. it's ok.
If only the situation in Greece wasn't so f*cked up and I could get the game..

Seems like a very solid port, everything works fine even at 4k. Lack of 60fps is a bummer indeed, but nothing game breaking.

BONKERS

Port is pretty good on PC. But Vsync is broken but the game still feels like it has Vsync engaged. Framerate is not 30FPS as it would be without Vsync. But rather the 29.xx you'd get with 30hz sync engaged.

Forcing Vsync of any kind causes a persistent microstutter every few frames.

Also: I am extremely thankful for this being DX9.
Forced AA! And supports arbitrary resolutions! (I've gotten it to 5.5k+ without issue)
0x084012c58xsgssaa48k8a.png

With the right flags, SGSSAA also AA's the DoF AND the Shadowmaps (Even the super low res ones in teh distance! No more flickering or crawling, nice and smooth)

The draw distances for shadows and the like...are kind of really short. I was expecting better for something that only runs at 30FPS and was supposed to push past the PS4 version. (At 1080p max, it only takes about 10-15% GPU at best to run the game on my 980. The game seems to use only two threads and they are both almost always maxed out on my i7 950. Trying to record Fraps footage to show the stutter issue for whatever reason drops the framerate to 28 or so making it far worse.)

I am SUPER bummed about the lack of 60FPS though. The timing in battles, camera movement and character movement feel kind of sluggish/laggy. That or the deadzone on the sticks isn't configured all that well.

Durante

What SGSSAA flags are you using? The crawling is terrible by default, and going higher res doesn't alleviate it much (I assume because the DoF buffer is fixed size).

BONKERS

What SGSSAA flags are you using? The crawling is terrible by default, and going higher res doesn't alleviate it much (I assume because the DoF buffer is fixed size).

There are various modes that work with a few different flags. And i'll be making a guide later today explaining all of them.

But for SGSSAA, 0x084012C5 (Without the AA fix enabled. As the AA fix enabled lowers the quality in this game) is the best solution.

This is for SGSSAA 4x and 8x *only* though.
2x doesn't work well (Worse edge quality than FXAA even).
OGSSAA breaks some things with this flag.
MSAA works but the quality is poor with this flag.
"MIXEDSAMPLE 6X" also works but this is not the optimal flag for it. (With the right flag it's a really nice mix between SSAA and MSAA with hardly any performance impact and with downsampling will look very good)

Also: Do not enable the in game FXAA when using this. It will conflict with SGSSAA.

4x+some downsampling will look the absolute best. (Remember though, downsampling + forced AA only works with custom resolutions and DSR without trickery. GeDoSaTo requires the DisplayResolution and Render Res to be the same. With Nearest filtering enabled, it's essentially the same as using a custom resolution. Using Lanczos though to essentially pre-filter the image does actually improve IQ a noticeable amount.)
The above screenshot was with just 8x.

Pics_nao

Have you tried the latest version of DS4Windows? (I don't have the game but do use a dualshock 4 on my pc so just suggesting it)
What OS are you using?

Are you using inputmapper ? mine are working fine. The game detects the controller without inputmapper but a few of my buttons werent working, no issues with input mapper on.

Tried both and it wouldn't work. Turns out that the game didn't read my controller as a controller but the buttons mostly worked. Had to manually change the controller settings in the options to get it to work. Did try keyboard for a bit and holy shit it's so weird. I cannot play Tales on a kb+m.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys, gameplay/area question.

So i'm at a point in the story where i'm unable to access an area

i'm doing a side quest for finding meivyn (?) and he's supposed to be at the big bridge place, but whenever i enter it the whole screen goes purple and the 'shit ton of malevolence' thing pops up and i'm forced to exit, cause you can't run and lose HP constantly during fights in that state.

is that gated by story progression or a timed thing ?

Yeah, you can get more grade on higher difficulties. Looked it up on gamefaqs.

Easy, Normal, Moderate, Hard, Intense, Chaos.

EXP: 1x 1x 0.9x 0.75x 0.6x 0.4x
Gald: 1x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Grade: 0.5x 1x 1.1x 1.2x 1.3x 1.4x
Item use cooldown: 2s 4s 5s 8s 10s 16s

It's not much more. Your party also dies way easier on harder difficulties, which decreases grade.

Yep, unlocked Intense after 300 hard battles.

Shit, I Guess I'll start on moderate difficulty.

The exp lost on hard mode looks a bit much for me.

aravuus

Shit, I Guess I'll start on moderate difficulty.

The exp lost on hard mode looks a bit much for me.

0.75x does sound hard, but apparently levels are far less important this time around than they've been in other Tales games. I don't think your stats even increase when leveling up.

Just finished the intro. Gotta say I'm enjoying it. Concept seems fun.

Yeah, the beings that are invisible to humans thing is alone much more interesting already than anything Xillia had to offer. I've read that the story does get worse later on, but 4-5 hours in it's def still very exciting.

e: man i don't usually post shit like this but i have to say, lady maltran is easily the best looking woman in the whole series

kaioshade

I played through the prologue last night, and so far enjoying it.

There were a few camera issues in the ruins, but so far it isnt THAT bad, and is little more then a small annoyance (this could get worse later).

V-Sync still isnt working for me, i enable it, but there was still horrible screen tearing when i played. At least i have a gsync monitor to play on later (was trying on my tv first).

I'm really liking it so far, mainly because the characters are.. while generic much more enjoyable to watch instead of whats been some of the most unbearable Tales protagonists in recent memory (Ludger doesn't talk or have much of a personality, Jude starts off good but just follows Mila for no reason like a lost puppy for 90% of the game, and Mila herself is very hard to understand for the first half of the game, I did like Asbel and the Graces cast even though the romance subplot is literally the most dragged out thing in any game ever... of all time.)

Sorey is just really refreshing, hes silly and not presented to be the smartest but he isn't stupid where everyone else has to spell things out for him(like almost every other Tales MC ever). He's just a gentle, good person and even hearing what it means to actually become the 'Sheppard' hes okay with it because he knows he can bare the burden. Honestly I'm just enjoying a Tales of protag that isn't completely indecisive all of the time. Sorey takes action but he doesn't rush into something hes not prepared for either hes

Mikleo is fairly typical but I like how he is very aware of the fact that normal people can't see him and even uses it to his advantage. I want to see more of his character but hes a good partner to Sorey so far. I also liked how instead of presenting that he could be hiding things from Sorey he just does it and tells it to him later, many games (including the Tales series *coughALVINcough* present a character that is close to the MC but is hiding things from him in a very negative light even though its generally not so. Zesteria just drops the BS and Sorey is like "Yeah I did this, sokay tho were buds :p"

Alisha is smarter then I first gave her credit for, I originally thought she was pretty basic but when... (Early early game spoilers, like in the first 2 hours)
When Sorey is picking up the Sacred Sword she realizes that he can see and speak to Seraphim like Mikleo and the way its said, shes been thinking this could certainly be the case from when they first met. No one has to spell it out for her either, she figures it out herself, which is just really refreshing.
and I really like her design so far.

Also the presentation of the game is just... damn. The music is outstanding and while I thought the ruins area you begin the game in was kind of meh once you get out of there the landscape of the first little area at the top of the mountains is just breathtaking.

Haven't had enough battles to get a feel for the battle system just yet but seems to be good so far, liking that there is a 'weapon triangle' of abilities with arts, that's a good way to mix it up.

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this game but its really surprising me so far and I'm really enjoying it. There are a lot of quality of life kind of changes that I appreciate a lot as well although its clearly the same engine as Xillia 1/2 (and has pop in, although SSD makes everything load in like a second so that helps) things like cut scenes transitioning back to the character instead of fading out and in to you controlling the character, finding herds that boost stats just out in the world that you can pick right from the get go (really helps make it feel like a much bigger world that you want to explore) and so far the world areas of the game feel like natural places unlike Xillia 1 and 2 which were very generic open fields with nothing in them besides enemies and random treasure chests just to have things fill up the empty space.

aravuus

Yeah, so far Sorey is probably my favorite Tales protagonist after Yuri. There's absolutely no beating Yuri, ever, in any JRPG, but Sorey is already far far better than Jude, Asbel or Ludger were. He's just a likable guy, even though he is very generic.

MiTYH

Question for PS owners!

I plan on getting a PS4 soon (black friday most likely), and this game as well. I've never been a member of PSN or anything before but I made an account a while back just to secure my gamertag.

I now have one of these codes for PS4. Where can I go to download it online, on the playstation.com website? I tried "Redeem Code" but it didn't work (was "incorrect or invald")

Top Bottom