• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift files for trademarks to stream her music from her website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, everyone's favorite Aryan icon has filed trademarks related to such a thing.

Taylor Swift is done fighting Spotify and other streaming services for royalties, and apparently, wants to become the master of her own destiny by starting her own streaming service.

Taylor's filed docs giving her the right to brand a website "featuring non-downloadable multi-media content in the nature of audio recordings." Sounds like a streaming service to us. She wants to call the website "Swifties."

You'll recall Taylor famously feuded with Spotify over royalties and ended up yanking her catalog back in 2014. The move sent Spotify and others into crisis mode, fearing other artists might follow.

It looks like Taylor's going beyond a streaming service. According to the docs, she's looking to launch a line of music products, including guitars, guitar picks, guitar straps and drumsticks. Her plans also include organizing retreats, educational camps and self-guided online courses.
So, just in case you love Taylor Swift but hate the fact music streaming services give the spotlight to artists not named Taylor Swift, here's your ideal choice! Why choose between Spotify, Pandora, Soundcloud, iTunes, Tidal, Google and more when you can just have all Taylor Swift all the time!

Turbo Graphx 16 coming exclusively to Swifties.

fzAdbAd.png

Ensoul

Or I could just go to youtube and listen to all her music for free if I wanted to.

Couldn't care less about the warez she is trying to sell.

Lkr

Is this really a streaming service or a taylor swift fan club? Because it sounds more like one than the other.

That's a bold move, Taylor. Lets see if it pans out.

Taylor Swift fans are crazy in a good way and would definitely buy every Taylor Swift related music product

riotous

Banned
It sounds like she's creating a new web site; calling it Swifties... and that site will also stream her music.

This is low tier click bait from TMZ.

Is this really a streaming service or a taylor swift fan club? Because it sounds more like one than the other.
It's very likely going to be a bit of both; part fan club with exclusive deals and promotions, part streaming service with exclusive songs, demos, etc.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Taylor Swift breaks up with Apple

Taylor Swift starts to date self.

New single: Orange you sick of Apple.

And her, We're never getting back together. Tried of those apples when all I want is Oranges, hey, we're never getting back together.

It sounds like she's creating a new web site; calling it Swifties... and that site will also stream her music.

This is low tier click bait from TMZ.

Doesn't sound very different from what Prince was doing for the longest time but I'm sure that this will cause a lot more controvesy.

That honestly sounds about right, but considering the trademark filing doesn't really flesh out the site with much more, it does seem possible that what this is going to be is that fan club / exclusive streaming site that Prince did a while back, just updated for this streaming age.

Amazing how she hasn't been called greedy By the media yet unlike when Jay-Z announced tidal (that was a sloppy roll out of a product), I wonder why?

Amazing how she hasn't been called greedy By the media yet unlike when Jay-Z announced tidal (that was a sloppy roll out of a product), I wonder why?

I'm not a fan of Swift, but the difference is Jay said how Tidal is all about the artists and had that tone deaf signing. It was a bad handling.

Sure, that's not a crowded market. Tidal, Groove Music, Napster, Rdio... in addition to Google Play, Apple Music, Spotify,
You know what all those sites don't have?

Taylor's discography once she launches this thing. Soon, it might end up being the only place you can listen to "Shake It Off" is on this site. Or, Swifites ends up exclusively streaming the new album two weeks before you can stream it on Apple Music.

Taylor's discography once she launches this thing. Soon, it might end up being the only place you can listen to "Shake It Off" is on this site. Or, Swifites ends up exclusively streaming the new album two weeks before you can stream it on Apple Music.

I'm not familiar with how large her fanbase is so forgive the question but: Is her fanbase large enough to sustain a streaming music service?

Bold One

Yo can't be serious...

ieD2lnz.png

I'm not a fan of Swift, but the difference is Jay said how Tidal is all about the artists and had that tone deaf signing. It was a bad handling.
The rollout of tidal was awful and whoever was in charge of marketing needed to be fired on that stage. My point is how the story is being handled and how the artist are being labeled. She's "smart" but he's "greedy".

Yeah, but I could just buy all of her albums and upload them to a service like Google Play or Amazon Prime Music that still lets me stream my own mp3s.

It's like keeping Netflix if you only want to watch a single show because you don't want to buy the DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom