• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Plasmid said:
So.

I just went online, saw the LA Noire Rockstar Pass - FREE.

Downloaded it, it's almost 30 MB, what did i just download

Free? 30 MB?

The Rockstar Pass basically gets you all the DLC (including future cases) for free for $10.

That's for the trailer for the Pass, I'm assuming. It's $9.99 on PSN, which makes that about 800 MP, I think. I think you can only access it from the L.A. Noire main menu.

Gravijah

Just beat it. Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but it definitely had a bunch of flaws and dragged in quite a few places.

JetBlackPanda said:
I am on the second case of arson and I just cant finish it!! how much longer do I have?

Not much longer, I don't think. Maybe a few hours?

Plasmid

Gooster said:
That's for the trailer for the Pass, I'm assuming. It's $9.99 on PSN, which makes that about 800 MP, I think. I think you can only access it from the L.A. Noire main menu.

damn, he's right, false alarm -GAF! D:.

Gravijah said:
Just beat it. Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but it definitely had a bunch of flaws and dragged in quite a few places.

I watched the Zero Punctuation video for L.A. Noire, and Yahtzee had a much, much better idea for a "final boss" than what actually transpires in the endgame.

Plasmid said:
damn, he's right, false alarm -GAF! D:.

Don't feel bad. I've honestly looked at stuff on the Xbox site Marketplace and sometimes I have to do a double take as to what's a video and what's content.

Rodhull

Plasmid said:
Real quick.

If i download the R* Pass, will i have to complete all the DLC missions for Shamus to the stars too?
Negative. None of them count. I got all the on disc cases and got the achievement even though I only had 4 for The Naked City case.

Mohonky said:
Do I seriously suck ass at this game or do some of the interrogations / questions seem kind of ham fisted?

I am consistently getting less than 50% correct answers / responses to interrogations. Some times it seems more like guess work. I get a statement from the witness or suspect; go through my clues and think "hmm yeh there's nothing in here that really contradicts what this person is saying so I can only assume it's the truth" only to find out nup, I was wrong. Then when I try doubt on some questions because I see the character shifting eyes but again I don't really have any proof to the contrary and buzzz, wrong again.

Wtf? Is there some trick to this I'm missing? I'm getting really frustrated by the idea that I am getting the majority of questions wrong (last interview was 0/4). The hell?

Did anyone else find this to be a problem? It'd be nice to be able to re-ask the question again occasionally or be able to go back to slightly before the questioning rather than replay an entire case.

You can back out of a lie accusation any time, the only penalty being fewer experience points, but who cares. The best bet is to accuse them of a lie if they look nervous. They'll challenge you to prove something. If you can, go for it; if not, back out and choose Doubt instead. Many times this is the only way to know what you're even accusing them of, as it doesn't always (or often) follow naturally from the previous exchange.

There are one or two characters who are very good liars and look sincere when they're lying--to that end, if you happen to have directly contradictory evidence to what they claim, then choose Lie even if they look like they're telling the truth, of course.

Plasmid

Rodhull said:
Negative. None of them count. I got all the on disc cases and got the achievement even though I only had 4 for The Naked City case.

This is wonderful news, thank you! <3.

7 more cases for Shamus to the stars, just got Magpie weirdly. Then it's time for DLC cases!

1000/1200 GS atm.

TheOddOne

I really fucked up The Golden Butterfly case and got one star for it. The whole case felt strange and I would have not expected it to end like that.

Minamu

Just finished it as well! :D Great stuff, really liked the ending after thinking about it for a few seconds (I mean, it is a noir story after all, of course it's not gonna be pretty). I've heard talks about hints for a sequel. Did I miss something at the end (and what did the scene after the credits mean? :S)?

Anyone else not find a single film reel at all during the game? :lol Quite surprised I managed to find all news papers to begin with.

dwebo

Minamu said:
Just finished it as well! :D Great stuff, really liked the ending after thinking about it for a few seconds (I mean, it is a noir story after all, of course it's not gonna be pretty). I've heard talks about hints for a sequel. Did I miss something at the end (and what did the scene after the credits mean? :S)?

Anyone else not find a single film reel at all during the game? :lol Quite surprised I managed to find all news papers to begin with.
Wait, there was a scene after the credits? edit: nvm, forgot about the
boat flashback

Yeah, the film reels are almost never in story locations, except maybe that one at the
ranch
. Newspapers, on the other hand, are pretty hard to miss unless you're rushing through investigation areas.

TheOddOne said:
I really fucked up The Golden Butterfly case and got one star for it. The whole case felt strange and I would have not expected it to end like that.
That was the last case I played. I just couldn't muster enough drive to continue after that one.

I still own it though. Maybe some day.

fernoca

Minamu said:
Did I miss something at the end (and what did the scene after the credits mean? :S)?
It is kinda ambiguous, but it seems to tease that not only
Kelso knew about the drugs, but probably had/has a few too. Since they said something like" they all go out with them..or none"; before the scene ends. Seeing how the drugs were infact stolen, Kelso probably decided to hide his somewhere...or sold them to someone else.

...or something like that. :p

painey

just beat it.
hated the kelso sections, he is unlikable, has overly big nostrils and is just not as fun

they keep referring to this as a franchise, i just hope we get a complete new set of characters in the sequel and maybe a different time period/area.. and please, no more stupid fucking beam balancing

thechemist

PS3 EU patch 1.02 just came out now, any idea what it does/contain?

EDIT - Must be to do with new DLC, just noticed extra trophies.

Hey You

A new automatic title update for L.A. Noire is now available for download on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 platforms. You'll be prompted to download the title update as soon as you sign into the PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE.

Noteworthy changes and fixes include:
  • Implemented a handful of physics changes to prevent floating, falling and traveling outside the map
  • Improved crash handling
  • ixed an issue where a clean installation interrupted by a Title Update would still show a "game data is corrupt and is being repaired" message (PS3 only)
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from getting beyond Rank 19 in certain instances
  • Fixed an issue where case objectives might not appear in the notebook after replaying cases

[Blog Post]

TheOddOne

NullPointer said:
That was the last case I played. I just couldn't muster enough drive to continue after that one.

I still own it though. Maybe some day.
From all the cases I have played till now, I could get a feel for it. I mosly get like 3 to 5 stars, but that case still boggels my mind.

Finally finshed the homicide section and felt the conclusion was good, but also kind of anti-climatic and weird.
Stuff like Captain Donnelly preaching, the links to communists and Mason's motives are not really clear or maby it went too fast and I missed it

The papers are also finally making more sense, the flashbacks not so much.

dwebo

thechemist said:
PS3 EU patch 1.02 just came out now, any idea what it does/contain?

EDIT - Must be to do with new DLC, just noticed extra trophies.
Hey You said:
Good times, I was wondering if they were going to add more trophies for the next two cases. Also, hopefully it won't crash in the damn dlc menu now.

Haunted

Man, this game is the poster child for "flawed gem".

So many puzzling decisions and unpolished segments. But man, when it works, it works absolutely beautifully.

And yeah, the facial technology is roughly a generation ahead of everyone else at the moment. Makes Heavy Rain look like a sock puppet show. I want this technology in every game from now on.

painey

so it turns out that the DLC cases I downloaded got played automatically as part of the storylines.. kinda glad, because they make more sense that way but also a little sad I only have 2 DLC cases left to play in the future

Haunted said:
And yeah, the facial technology is roughly a generation ahead of everyone else at the moment. Makes Heavy Rain look like a sock puppet show. I want this technology in every game from now on.
I dunno. It's clearly great at times, but it is really low fidelity. With HR you could have macro close ups of faces and they'd still look great. In Noire even one shot slightly too near the player camera looks terrible, you can see the 'video' playing over the geometry of the head like someone standing in the way of a projector.

As long as it stays as video capture, you're never gonna be able to have good 'textures'.

There needs to be some kind of hybrid system.

elektrixx

Banned
I'm glad LA Noire is completed, because I was really sick of it.

The questioning is two thirds a guessing game. I hated it. I got really pissed off earlier in the game when you're questioning an older woman about the break-in upstairs at her house. She says she didn't know about it. I suppose she's genuinely unaware of the break in and select Truth. As the conversation continued you find she really did not know about the break in, but my selection was still incorrect.

Another thing I hate is how often there will be two possible correct selections for choosing Lie but the game punishes you simply because Cole's dialogue is unpredictable.

Fuck this game.

elektrixx said:
I'm glad LA Noire is completed, because I was really sick of it.

The questioning is two thirds a guessing game. I hated it. I got really pissed off earlier in the game when you're questioning an older woman about the break-in upstairs at her house. She says she didn't know about it. I suppose she's genuinely unaware of the break in and select Truth. As the conversation continued you find she really did not know about the break in, but my selection was still incorrect.

Another thing I hate is how often there will be two possible correct selections for choosing Lie but the game punishes you simply because Cole's dialogue is unpredictable.

Fuck this game.

Um, what? She was aware of the break-in. If you select doubt, you find out that she knew about it but didn't want it to become public to hurt her business.

Yeah, I ran into a bug in the gas man case that would have forced me to restart. No way, I'm so done with this game. Disappointment of the year for me, so boring! No gameplay, boring cases without a satisfying conclusion and random luck on the questioning. At least Heavy Rain doesn't pretend to have gameplay. Straight to ebay with this sucker.

cacophony said:
Real Life LA Noire

Thought this was hilarious

hahahaha

schennmu said:
Yeah, I ran into a bug in the gas man case that would have forced me to restart. No way, I'm so done with this game. Disappointment of the year for me, so boring! No gameplay, boring cases without a satisfying conclusion and random luck on the questioning. At least Heavy Rain doesn't pretend to have gameplay. Straight to ebay with this sucker.
You failed to grasp the mechanic.

TheOddOne

Random thoughts.

Manifest Destiny really put Cole in a tought spot, but he had it coming -- sort of.
Roy Earle is such a fucking snitch and I hope I get to hear more about his connections to the underworld. I know he gave the info to the guys about Cole sleeping with the singer. I really thought Roy would shoot Cole at the ending of The Black Caesar.

In the The Gas Man case, I charged
Reginald Varley instead of Matthew Ryan. Reginald just was a hardcase and I really thought he did it because of how he was acting
. Really caught me by suprise that the chief got freaking angry as shit.

Also, I outwitted that Fringe guy! ;)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
SuperSonic1305 said:
Cole's responses are so out of nowhere sometimes. The Consul's Car case especially

You fuck young boys Valdez?

No that had logic actually,
earlier on, you're supposed to find a book with names of little boys which is owned by Valdez

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Juan29.zapata said:
No that had logic actually,
earlier on, you're supposed to find a book with names of little boys which is owned by Valdez
But the question was still out of nowhere based on the previous dialogue.

White Man

I hit the Vice cases today, and I think I would have liked everything before if the other partners were as awesome as Earle. He's kinda the first one with a stand-out personality.

TheOddOne

White Man said:
I hit the Vice cases today, and I think I would have liked everything before if the other partners were as awesome as Earle. He's kinda the first one with a stand-out personality.
Don't forget to check out the newspapers. Not a spoiler, but be on the lookout for them.

Top Bottom