• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

dwebo

fernoca said:
Guess Nicholson Electroplating was delayed..or will be up later. The Live Marketplace updated and it's nowhere to be found; neither at the in-game store.
Damn well better not be delayed. I'd already confused it somehow that it was coming out last Tuesday, so it's already been a week late in my head.

Shadow780 said:
So if there's an icon means I've read it, and the ones without means I haven't found the newspaper?
Ones without means no newspaper, period. Unread newspapers are apparently a lighter shade of gray. Also, Consul's Car didn't come with trophies.

fernoca

Nicholson Electroplating is out on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network!

XBL: 208 MB (individual case purchase link)
PSN: 685 MB

Remember that if you got the Rockstar Pass you have to download the case through the in-game store.

5 new achievements/trophies to go with it. Only Consul's Car (PS3 exclusive) doesn't have trophies (and 5 more for the upcoming Reefer Madness).

6kSwa.png

At 9:45 in the morning, a thunderous explosion rocks Los Angeles. City blocks are flattened and smoke and ash fill the air. Detectives Phelps and Biggs race to the site of the former Nicholson Electroplating plant to find a pile of unanswered questions. What caused the explosion? What were Nicholson's employees working on? And where are chief chemist Dr Harold McLellan and his mysterious female assistant?​

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm using a guide to hunt down the film reels, and I'm simply amazed at how much was built for this game and never incorporated into the main game. So many unique areas and communities you'd never run into just going through the cases. It kinda seems like a shocking waste of time, effort and money to build it all, although perhaps some the cut cases turned DLC will make use of it. This game just oozes untapped potential in every way.

jackdoe

TheHakku said:
Sure? I downloaded it from PS Store for free just fine.
Same here. Anyway, it is hilarious how much back story this DLC provides. The Electroplating Case takes place before the last mission and would have gone a long way towards
providing a break from Jack and reminding players that Cole is the main character for the most part. Without, the ending feels a hell of a lot more rushed.

fernoca

TheHakku said:
Sure? I downloaded it from PS Store for free just fine.
jackdoe said:
Same here. Anyway, it is hilarious how much back story this DLC provides. The Electroplating Case takes place before the last mission and would have gone a long way towards
providing a break from Jack and reminding players that Cole is the main character for the most part. Without, the ending feels a hell of a lot more rushed.

Guess it was updated, at least on PS3...or I just mixed things. I remember some having problems with that on both consoles.

Guess it's an "issue" in some way in the Xbox 360 still. Though once you get them in-game they appear on your download history anyway; so no biggie. :p

Marketplace:
5MhCV.png

Download History:
I2oYP.png

Anyway...
Haven't been able to play the case that much, but really liked what I played and the way it started...was a blast...literally. XD

painey

funny how they mention Phelps' kids and the Dahlia case in this DLC.. it's a shame that these are cut out and re-sold missions instead of additional content. Glad I didn't pay full price for the vanilla game, because the full game didn't come on the 3 disks.

dwebo

Just finished the arson DLC case. I'm surprised that they put that case in between the last two story cases, instead of the first two arson cases (which would've broken up the
serial arsonist arc
, for the better IMO).

A bit action heavy, which I didn't particularly like. I wonder if they adjusted it post-launch to counter criticisms. If they did, I'd respond that the people that wanted LA Noire to have more action already left and won't be buying the DLC. Still, the case has its neat moments, and certainly a lot of spectacle (
recreated Spruce Goose made me go "wow", and that was before the game let you go inside
).

Ended too abruptly, though, along with introducing too many characters that you never end up meeting. Only two interrogations? Lame. I did like that there were a handful of investigation puzzles, even if they're never hard. I wish they'd used the magnifying photo mechanic in the base game, as it was a pretty slick implementation. The silly Cole snapshot got a chuckle.

Dan said:
I'm using a guide to hunt down the film reels, and I'm simply amazed at how much was built for this game and never incorporated into the main game. So many unique areas and communities you'd never run into just going through the cases. It kinda seems like a shocking waste of time, effort and money to build it all, although perhaps some the cut cases turned DLC will make use of it. This game just oozes untapped potential in every way.
Well, they did originally have two more desks so who knows. Maybe this is just what happens when you spend so long on a project and churn through so many workers. It definitely boggles my mind that they bothered to create the interior of Union Station or the art museum (including paintings FFS). Or the
airfield with hangars and planes
, or the army base complete with training courses and even a small replica Japanese village...

That spoilered bit I expected to see in today's DLC case, but sadly, it didn't show up.

Darklord

Banned
I got this game the other day. God damn it's fun. Really refreshing to play such a different game. I might even buy the DLC for this.

tiff

Banned
Is Tom Chick not liking Deus Ecx supposed to invalidate his opinion on every other game? I'm not really following your point.

jackdoe

The Nicholson case was pretty well done, though I do agree that it ended rather abruptly. One thing I hated though, was the border line racist Asian caricature.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
It's really sad that the END OF HOMICIDE SPOILERS
the hunt in the catacombs
was more atmospheric and suspenseful than all of Resident Evil 5.

Dragon

Banned
SephCast said:

That was the best part of the game for me.
I got lost in there numerous times and I'd turn around and the guy would pop out and shoot my hat off.

Radogol

tiff said:
Is Tom Chick not liking Deus Ecx supposed to invalidate his opinion on every other game? I'm not really following your point.

I don't have one. I also have no interest in "getting" User33 and agree with Tom Chick's review of L.A. Norie.

Lothars

SephCast said:

It's not though, you might not like RE5 but to make that point tells me that you didn't even play it.

Lothars

jiffy38 said:
I am also interested in hearing about this. Is it cheaper/future dlc for free attached to it?

It's good, I got it when it was 800 points but it offers all the cases that are going to be released as DLC as well as the suits and chicago typewriter.

bryehn said:
How long is the DLC, just an hour or so like a normal case or is it a couple cases?

The rockstar pass is 4 cases (3 avaible right now, last one later...) and they are long just like any other cases

Rockstar just announced a PC version this fall. The port job will be done by Rockstar Leeds. No word yet on whether the DLC will be bundled in with the game or if it will have to be downloaded (read: purchased) seperately.

Darklord

Banned
I'm in homicide at the moment but something I don't get.
In the Moller case I charged the pedo guy for the murder. Later on some of Mollers jewery shows up at a pawn shop and in the car they are chatting about Hugo Moller, the husband being the killer. But I didn't charge him...

fernoca

Darklord said:
I'm in homicide at the moment but something I don't get.
In the Moller case I charged the pedo guy for the murder. Later on some of Mollers jewery shows up at a pawn shop and in the car they are chatting about Hugo Moller, the husband being the killer. But I didn't charge him...
They're more talking about
"realizing" that the husband might've been the one that killed her, seeing how someone was selling her jewelry.
But don't worry, you'll get you answer..soon. You charged the "right person" at least as far as the game goes...
for now.
:p

Nori Chan

I plan on finishing this game and then play it again with the black and white filter. Anyone else going to do this?

I really enjoy this game. After this game, I have bough the most recent R* games. I'm loving my decision too cause RDR is amazing.

Fou-Lu

Just finished it. Game went downhill after homicide, still I loved it, but could never replay it. I'd be interested in a sequel if it focused more on the homicide.

Why the fuck do you play as Kelso in the last few missions? Ruined the fucking ending for me.

picked up the game as part of that TRU deal, and just started it. Am I reading too much into the interrogations or is it hard to know when to use "doubt" and when to use "lie"?

Fjordson

Ninja Scooter said:
picked up the game as part of that TRU deal, and just started it. Am I reading too much into the interrogations or is it hard to know when to use "doubt" and when to use "lie"?
Lie is only for when you have evidence pertaining to their specific statement. If you don't think they're telling the truth, but don't have a specific piece of evidence that can factually disprove what they just said, pick doubt.

fernoca

Ninja Scooter said:
Lie: You know the person is lying and have evidence to sustain that. Usually, when you choose "Lie" the person is going to reply to you with something that teases at the evidence you're supposed to use against him/her (i.e. "What, you don't have any footprint that says I was there" = choose evidence: Footprint)

Doubt: You know the person is lying, but don't have any evidence to sustain it. Granted, this one is a little bit difficult, because there are evidences obtained by looking not only looking at items, but through interrogations. So if you miss an item, or don't trigger a specific question during an interrogation, you might miss that one evidence.

Also making 'Doubt' more difficult; there may be situations were you know that someone is lying and don't have evidence to say the person is lying. But is not a doubt neither; so picking 'Doubt' will result in an incorrect choice. It's just that you missed the evidence to confirm it's a lie.

jackdoe

Also, you DON'T get penalized for selecting lie until you choose a piece of evidence. I found when I was torn between doubt and lie, that choosing lie was the best option as it made it more clear which random piece of evidence the game wants you to present since it can sometimes be arbitrary. If you don't have it, and you have been thorough at crime scenes, just go back, have Cole apologize since he needed to shake the tree and then choose doubt.

dwebo

Skimmed the last few pages, and I don't think it's been posted, so here's a list of game tips from Rockstar:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ame-tips-la-noire-pointers-rare-vehicles.html

Most of them are obvious / not very useful. This was new to me, though:
Finding it hard to earn five star ratings on cases? Turn off both the 'Clue Hints' and 'Action Skip' options in the Gameplay settings, to instantly boost your ratings by 2 stars.
Sounds like a freebie, since nobody uses action skip anyway and you can probably keep the investigation music autofade on.

Darklord

Banned
Ugh, am I doing something wrong here? I'm in homicide questioning
McCaffrey and Teirnan. I question Teirnan then McCaffrey who tells me Tiernan did it. I question Teirnan again but he can't remember if he did it or not. At that point it only lets me charge Teirnan, which I did and got chewed out for it. Why can't I talk to McCaffrey again?

Despera

Banned
dwebo said:
Skimmed the last few pages, and I don't think it's been posted, so here's a list of game tips from Rockstar:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ame-tips-la-noire-pointers-rare-vehicles.html

Most of them are obvious / not very useful. This was new to me, though:

Sounds like a freebie, since nobody uses action skip anyway and you can probably keep the investigation music autofade on.
I already did that from the get go. Although turning off clue hints doesn't change shit. You'll investigate cases the way the game wants you to no matter what.

mandiller

Darklord said:
Ugh, am I doing something wrong here? I'm in homicide questioning
McCaffrey and Teirnan. I question Teirnan then McCaffrey who tells me Tiernan did it. I question Teirnan again but he can't remember if he did it or not. At that point it only lets me charge Teirnan, which I did and got chewed out for it. Why can't I talk to McCaffrey again?

The same thing happened to me. It kinda sucks. I guess we both failed a bunch of critical questions in the interviews

But

This is a little spoilerish though:
Don't worry about charging the wrong person. Just continue on to the next cases

Top Bottom