• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

whitehawk said:
Can you not play un-completed street crimes in free roam mode? Do I have to do it in a story/case?
All street crimes for a particular desk will appear in the free roam mode for that desk. If you've already completed all of the street crimes for a particular desk, the game will tell you that when you enter free roam for that desk.

I think your problem is that each street crime has a certain time of day assigned to it (e.g. 3am - 4pm) so at any particular time not all of the street crimes might be available on the map. When looking at the street crimes shown on the map, if the name of the street crime pops up when you move the cursor over it, then it's a street crime you've already completed. If no name pops up then it's one you haven't done yet.

My advice is just be patient and wait for the time of day to advance.

whitehawk

Banned
Also, I highly recommend getting all the gold films. It doesn't take as long as you think, and there are a lot of environments that you get to explore by doing so. I just got a film from a big air base, so cool. Lots of detail put into this city, and it isn't shown off enough.

Dan Yo

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
I think that case kind of defines your stance on the game. I totally agree with you. For me the game started out great, with a few flaws. But once I got to the GB case I realized the game wasn't a detective simulator and there was a overarching narrative that took precedent over anything you did. In the end, I still enjoyed the game, even the ending, but the it just seemed “off” for some reason. Also, as much as I marveled at the recreation of 50s era LA, the open world city was rather pointless. There's so much filler in LA Noire. As far as I can tell the only purpose for the city was street crimes, which were cool at first but by the fourth case were annoying as all hell.
The open world didn't need a point. It's a not a sandbox game. The city is open for the simple fact that real cities are open.

I much prefer this approach to games with open worlds. It's more realistic and it's precisely why I enjoyed Mafia a lot more than GTA3 when it released 6 months after. The open world in games like that are there to make the game's world more believable, not for me to run around and figure out my own fun.

Dibbs

I'm choosing between this game and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Someone described L.A Noire as being more towards Heavy Rain than a "regular" kind of game. Now I enjoyed HR but I don't want another game like that. What to choose?

tiff

Banned
If Human Revolution is even half as good as the first DX it'll be a lot better than LA Noire so go with that.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
McDouchebag said:
I'm choosing between this game and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Someone described L.A Noire as being more towards Heavy Rain than a "regular" kind of game. Now I enjoyed HR but I don't want another game like that. What to choose?

In that case definitely go for Deus Ex.

Dibbs

tiff said:
If Human Revolution is even half as good as the first DX it'll be a lot better than LA Noire so go with that.

That did it, I forgot how wonderful Deus Ex was. Thanks!

MaddenNFL64

whitehawk said:
Also, I highly recommend getting all the gold films. It doesn't take as long as you think, and there are a lot of environments that you get to explore by doing so. I just got a film from a big air base, so cool. Lots of detail put into this city, and it isn't shown off enough.

Biggest gripe I have. SO MUCH DETAIL. And nothing takes you there. Also, should have had animators like in RDR to add npc's all over doing stuff.

MaddenNFL64

Kung Fu Grip said:
How do you figure out the code in the suitcase in the DLC arson case? That thing is frustrating me! I have no clue how to do it.

Read the newspaper clipping., look at the cipher wheel. K first wheel, H second wheel, match them together. Rotate & decipher.

Bollocks

Go for Deus Ex, LA Noire is one of the most boring games ever made, I enjoyed Heavy Rain but this game, I regret that I bought it.

bubnbob

Banned
whitehawk said:
It keeps giving me yellow ones. And I'm driving around an area where an unfinished street crime is. ugh.

For street cases, do them after you've finished the game. From here, enter Free Roam. Do all red street cases shown. Exit, then re-enter Free Roam. It will place you at the correct time for a new case to appear (night time, evening, etc.)

There is no magic to this.

Radhenman

Neo Member
MaddenNFL64 said:
Biggest gripe I have. SO MUCH DETAIL. And nothing takes you there. Also, should have had animators like in RDR to add npc's all over doing stuff.

seems like with Team Bondi's focus on the investigative gameplay(especially with the actor modelling technology) they may have forgot that they have a digital 1940's L.A. to work with. People might have wanted to explore the city in a grander way than through somewhat linear (and for many people, repetitious) crime cases.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Read the newspaper clipping., look at the cipher wheel. K first wheel, H second wheel, match them together. Rotate & decipher.
I did that and i now have the letters N V on the screen? What to do with the numbers on the paper? And the rest of the letters.

Sorry. This is just not clicking for me.

TheOddOne

Kung Fu Grip said:
I did that and i now have the letters N V on the sreen? What to do with the numbers on the paper? And the rest of the letters.

Sorry. This is just not clicking for me.
I also had trouble with this puzzle.

It goes as followed:
Turn outer ring to "H", Turn inner ring to "K" and then Turn outer ring again to letters K-S-B-O-J-L-K-Q-X-S-B. Check this youtube video if your still stuck.

TheOddOne said:
I also had trouble with this puzzle.

It goes as followed:
Turn outer ring to "H", Turn inner ring to "K" and then Turn outer ring again to letters K-S-B-O-J-L-K-Q-X-S-B. Check this youtube video if your still stuck.
I got it. Thank you.

Damn when you find out how its done it makes you realize how it easy it actually is.

Dan Yo

Banned
McDouchebag said:
Depends on why you didn't like HR. If it was because of QTEs replacing the action, then you need not worry about this game. All of the action is real-time and far more entertaining than lame QTEs.

I have a theory about those calling L.A. Noire boring, and it's that they were all hoping for RDR in 1940s Los Angeles. They expected a sandbox like Saints Row and instead they got a linear story like Mafia. I know a few people in real life that got bored of it when they realized that they couldn't whip out their guns and go to town on civilians or go find a tank and get the cops after them. They traded it in when they realized it wasn't like that.

Some people are just very A.D.D. But if you are a fan of noire-style films or that era in general, and you like realistic, engaging narratives over "find your own fun in a big city" games, then this may very well be the game of the year for you. One of the best and most unique games I've played this generation.

By the way, the first Deus Ex is in my top 5 games of all time, but I have 0 expectations on this new one.

Dan Yo

Banned
endlessflood said:
The game mechanics were hit and miss. The driving, running, and shooting all felt fine. The 'clue' setup was fine too. The interrogations were a great idea, but they way the choices have sometimes been implemented leaves a lot to be desired (mostly because there's a disconnect between what's being discussed prior to your choice and the things that you say after the choice) and it sometimes felt like you were trying to guess what the developer was thinking rather than trying to read a face in conjunction with the evidence. It also felt slightly too linear for my liking whereby there were limited options in terms of how you actually approach making the cases; most of the 'branching' in cases stems from interrogations rather than deductions made in the face of the evidence. I like how the slower pace of the main missions is offset by the 'cut to the chase' nature of the street crime, giving the player the ability to customise their own experience by injecting more action whenever they feel the need for it.
I agree with these criticisms. Sometimes I found myself choosing the Lie option and then immediately backing out if the accusation being made didn't match what it sounded like they were getting at before the accusation was made. This should've been handled a bit better.

I also was a little disappointed in the game for letting you know when you screwed up an interrogation. Just too game-y and ruins that atmosphere during intense interrogations. Just let the scene play out as it will without revealing to the player just how one dimensional a lot of the questioning really is. Perhaps there could've been answers that will get you only partial information if you doubt them instead of call them on a lie when you don't have enough evidence.

Didn't like how scripted some of the chase sequences were. I could literally see the car ahead of me rubber banding away at times. I think those could've been fine without any scripting. The foot chase/car chase/brawl/shootout action sequences could've used a bit more variety as well rather than pretty evidently always being broken up into any one of those categories. Made the action sequences often feel disconnected and segmented.

The rest of my gripes are pretty minor. I remember being a little thrown off on certain things like the nude female bodies all having what were essentially black paint splotches on their genitalia rather than just having genitalia. Rockstar took the time to model a whole penis and testicles in TLAD but a vagina is off limits? Give me a break.

Despite those gripes, the game was one of my favorite games of the generation. Superb experience.

jonezer4

Dan Yo said:
The rest of my gripes are pretty minor. I remember being a little thrown off on certain things like the nude female bodies all having what were essentially black paint splotches on their genitalia rather than just having genitalia. Rockstar took the time to model a whole penis and testicles in TLAD but a vagina is off limits? Give me a break.

I have to imagine the 40s were a pretty unkempt era if you know what I mean. Big black splotches are most likely historically accurate.

tiff

Banned
When my brother was trying to sell me on this game the very first thing he told me was that it wasn't RDR. It wasn't some dumb sandbox where half the fun is supposed to be blowing civilians away with a rocket launcher. The story mode didn't just consist of doing random wacky missions for random wacky characters.

It just also happened to not be a good game either.

Dan Yo

Banned
jonezer4 said:
I have to imagine the 40s were a pretty unkempt era if you know what I mean. Big black splotches are most likely historically accurate.
I don't doubt that, but even hairy genitals don't just look like black paint splotches.

_woLf

Just finished it.

Playing as Kelso disappointed me, as did the ending as a whole. Killing off a character like Cole just seemed lazy. Why not let the player present all the evidence and take down the police chief, monroe, Earle, all of them? So disappointing...

fernoca

_woLf said:
Just finished it.

Playing as Kelso disappointed me, as did the ending as a whole. Killing off a character like Cole just seemed lazy. Why not let the player present all the evidence and take down the police chief, monroe, Earle, all of them? So disappointing...
Well, in the end the basic-story/world surrounding the game are cemented in "real events".
The Black Dahlia murder was never found, There was a lot of corruption in the police, the police cared a lot about front pages and headlines (and their image). Like one "real" evidence of the investigation back then were the records detailing who had which sexually transmitted disease to try to match with the ones found in some of the women killed. Those weren't allowed as evidence since it included names of important people...and so on.

In that way, it made sense for the game to end the way it ended.

Biff

Wait is there a way to free roam after beating the final mission?

Whenever I load my save it just restarts the last mission :/

Afterthoughts:
FUCK YOU KELSO TEAM BONDI WHY

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ChefRamsay said:
Wait is there a way to free roam after beating the final mission?

Whenever I load my save it just restarts the last mission :/
Don't resume, just go to Cases and then each desk has a free roam option.

Ocho

So I just got the game and the book The Collected Stories.

Should I read the book first? Or does the book contain spoilers? Should I read and play? Play the game frst, read the book after? How should I proceed?

Thanks.

TheOddOne

Kung Fu Grip said:
I got it. Thank you.

Damn when you find out how its done it makes you realize how it easy it actually is.
Yeah, but then I got angry at the clues not being very obvious and helpfull.

voltron

Anyone else find the framerate almost unbearable at times? In the driving sequences mostly. I guess I should just skip 'em.

And fuck me, I really need to start paying extreme attention. Im getting 80% + of the interview Qs wrong.

Prine

Banned
I also agree the interrogations while mechanically sound, the content being discussed and the points being raised were poorly implemented. I was frustrated with irrelevant options being answers to questions being asked.

Also, i thought having a "Lie" and "Doubt" option is a major game design flaw. Huge even. Almost game breaking. Those 2 can be the same thing, its like have a "Like" and "Enjoy" option on Web site news articles. Theres enough of a difference between Trust and Lie for one to make a distinction, but from Lie to Doubt (about 80 percent of the answers) the difference depends on context and even then its fairly murky as you can make a case for both and be equally valid.

overcast

So far, so good on the game. It isn't close to RDR but it's a good game nonetheless. I have a few complaints:

-I can see it getting a bit repetitive
-Reading faces can be frustrating
-Empty feeling city

Still an extremely enjoyable game for me. I'll post back when I'm finished.

Phat Michael said:
does anyone else find this game:

• very well presented
  • looks great
  • excellent facial animations
  • nice story
  • incredibly, incredibly boring?

Agreed. Couldn't get myself to finish it after doing all the murder cases.
So yeah I just wasted 6 hours to find out all the people I previously arrested didn't actually do it? Give me a break

TheOddOne said:
Its repetitive as hell, but in short burst its not a bad game.
thats the thing..a game shouldnt be like this. a game in this genre really should make you keep playing. i find that once im done with a case i instantly want to switch it off until next time. im only playing it to finish the game, there hasnt been one part where ive enjoyed it.

i know parallels can be drawn with heavy rain, but i found i could not put heavy rain down. sure its shorter, but i thought it was such a great game the 7+ hours i took to finish it made it seem much better value.

The one thing missing is the "game" element. it follows the same formula for each case and its just dead boring. its pretty much the same as phoenix wright to me but without the charm - and even that got old after the first game.

tiff

Banned
Phat Michael said:
does anyone else find this game:

• very well presented
  • looks great
  • excellent facial animations
  • nice story
  • incredibly, incredibly boring?
Maybe if you threw out that story bit.

TheOddOne

Phat Michael said:
thats the thing..a game shouldnt be like this. a game in this genre really should make you keep playing. i find that once im done with a case i instantly want to switch it off until next time. im only playing it to finish the game, there hasnt been one part where ive enjoyed it.

i know parallels can be drawn with heavy rain, but i found i could not put heavy rain down. sure its shorter, but i thought it was such a great game the 7+ hours i took to finish it made it seem much better value.

The one thing missing is the "game" element. it follows the same formula for each case and its just dead boring. its pretty much the same as phoenix wright to me but without the charm - and even that got old after the first game.
I'm totally with you on this.

ascii42

Prine said:
I also agree the interrogations while mechanically sound, the content being discussed and the points being raised were poorly implemented. I was frustrated with irrelevant options being answers to questions being asked.

Also, i thought having a "Lie" and "Doubt" option is a major game design flaw. Huge even. Almost game breaking. Those 2 can be the same thing, its like have a "Like" and "Enjoy" option on Web site news articles. Theres enough of a difference between Trust and Lie for one to make a distinction, but from Lie to Doubt (about 80 percent of the answers) the difference depends on context and even then its fairly murky as you can make a case for both and be equally valid.
Lie = You have found a clue that refutes what they say
Doubt = You don't have evidence

This game is really annoying sometimes.

Cole: Who is Henderson?
Dude: Herp Derp Henderson doesn't exist lol

[] Doubt

Dude: blablablablabla

X

1/3 correct

Then while getting arrested he actually answers the fucking question.

whitehawk

Banned
Does anyone know of a good guide for the car locations? I've gotten 71/95 without any help, but now I need it. And it's hard to find any online, that are good.

Top Bottom