• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2: Meet Your Match Update (Competitive Mode)

Why? Isn't casual matchmaking doing the same thing with the added bonus of matching you with even skilled players?

I play TF2 in 10-20 minute spurts and jump around game modes several times during those games. I have no way of doing that anymore other than using the obnoxious server browser and saying a hail mary I didn't accidentally join some dumb modded server

Crayolan

I play TF2 in 10-20 minute spurts and jump around game modes several times during those games. I have no way of doing that anymore other than using the obnoxious server browser and saying a hail mary I didn't accidentally join some dumb modded server

You should probably wait until servers are back up so you can see exactly how casual matchmaking works before you say that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same as quick match.

You should probably wait until servers are back up so you can see exactly how casual matchmaking works before you say that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly the same as quick match.

It's not. You pick 2 modes, it joins you into a lobby until it finds 24 people, you load in and then play the game. You can't leave or you get banned.

It's exactly the same as comp, just with more players and no visible MMR. Same exact penalties for leaving.

I know it's a tiny bump, but dealing with Spies as other classes, I've never thought, "Boy, this is unfair to them, they should really be faster."

K3jfgdf.png

you were good son
real good
maybe even the best

*takes off hat with respect*

Crayolan

It's not. You pick 2 modes, it joins you into a lobby until it finds 24 people, you load in and then play the game. You can't leave or you get banned.

It's exactly the same as comp, just with more players and no visible MMR. Same exact penalties for leaving.

oh, that sucks then. :S

Puruzi

Banned
I don't use quickplay because people on valve servers are usually quite bad. I stopped using quickplay pretty early on after thinking I was good and then being shocked at how much better players on other servers were in comparison. I was getting destroyed on loads of other servers even though I topscored on valve's. I became a whole lot better at the game when I stopped playing on valve servers completely.

I liked hopping in valve servers every now and then even though I felt like a great big bully most of the time.

And man matchmaking is slow. :\

Bluth54

There are some interesting balance changes like the tele metal use changes and medic speed changes but so many of the balance changes seem very strange and unneeded in some cases, like the bison changes. Valve was on such a roll with the gun mettle and tough break changes but this updates balance changes feel more like the poor quality balance changes we used to see a few years ago.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't even get into a matchmade casual because the server won't tell me what it's finding (if it's even finding anything)

BRAVO VALVO.

TheSeks

So are the servers still down?

They're going up and down. Items may/may not be seen. Matchmaking is completely broke. You can play community servers, but PASS time is easter egg hunts or locked servers right now.

Fandangox

They're going up and down. Items may/may not be seen. Matchmaking is completely broke. You can play community servers, but PASS time is easter egg hunts or locked servers right now.

Yeah they are up for me now, was confused as to why matchmaking was locked for me since I had a premium TF2 account, but then I remembered I never linked a phone to steam, I still don't want to, so I guess I will just eventually buy the pass.

Chesskid1

Banned
played one game of casual matchmaking.

this is exactly what i wanted!! not sure if they sort by skill for casual, but i hope they do, and 6v6 isn't for me.

i can see why people dislike it though.

deleted

This is the first time I'm somewhat disappointed with the updates comic.

Felt more like imitating the usual style, both in humor and in art.

For the rest: I feel compelled to install TF2 for the first time in 3 years, so that's something I guess.

fhqwhgads

Disappointing to see Heavy nerfs. Just when the Nascarsasha and the Brass Beast looked to be viable too. Also deciding to fix that bug with the Buffalo Steak rather than giving it some meaningful stats.

Guess Who

Banned
Tried the new casual mode, my first match was on pl_barnblitz. Topped the scoreboard for the winning team. Felt good man.

Bluth54

Disappointing to see Heavy nerfs. Just when the Nascarsasha and the Brass Beast looked to be viable too. Also deciding to fix that bug with the Buffalo Steak rather than giving it some meaningful stats.

I have a feeling we're going to see a more complete reworks of Heavy and Pyro when they do the class updates for them.

fhqwhgads

3 games into competitive and honestly I'm really disappointed. All because of how it's 6 v 6 only. I thought that since it's not like platinum level competitive play that there would be leeway but there isn't. Games literally boil down to whichever team follows the 6 v 6 meta best. It's the exact same scene every game where the winning team always has a solider/medic combo dominating the losing team. I think until they add highlander mode I'm not going to get into the competitive side of it.

PS: Those damn Heavy nerfs. Once again we're back to a meta where there's no point in using any minigun other than the default one.

Guess Who

Banned
3 games into competitive and honestly I'm really disappointed. All because of how it's 6 v 6 only. I thought that since it's not like platinum level competitive play that there would be leeway but there isn't. Games literally boil down to whichever team follows the 6 v 6 meta best. It's the exact same scene every game where the winning team always has a solider/medic combo dominating the losing team. I think until they add highlander mode I'm not going to get into the competitive side of it.

PS: Those damn Heavy nerfs. Once again we're back to a meta where there's no point in using any minigun other than the default one.

If you want competitive mode with bigger teams, try casual mode, because that's literally what it is.

Also, I get why people are upset about Quick Play, but the solution is absolutely not to change Casual Matchmaking into basically what Quick Play was. They should bring back Quick Play and let Casual Matchmaking exist as its own thing. Casual mode is basically what I've wanted out of TF2 for years - a way to easily play relatively serious matches where people actually care about the objective, without going all the way into 6vs6 or highlander territory.

MatchmakIng Sixes absolutely encourages offclassing thanks to Highlander-balanced unlocks like the Gunslinger and GRU that pretty much nullify their downsides. ESEA teams used to run as many Heavies as the league would allow back when the GRU were allowed.

The actual reason you're not seeing good Heavies, Engineers, and Spies us because nobody interested in high-level play wants to play Heavy, Engineer, or Spy.

If you want competitive mode with bigger teams, try casual mode, because that's literally what it is.

Also, I get why people are upset about Quick Play, but the solution is absolutely not to change Casual Matchmaking into basically what Quick Play was. They should bring back Quick Play and let Casual Matchmaking exist as its own thing. Casual mode is basically what I've wanted out of TF2 for years - a way to easily play relatively serious matches where people actually care about the objective, without going all the way into 6vs6 or highlander territory.
I think that's the solution most people want. Let casual be on its own, but bring back Quick Play.

This is probably the largest backlash against an update I've ever seen since I joined the TF2 community in 2009. And I've been through updates that broke the game for half the players for three months and it wasn't this bad.

Crayolan

Is it possible to play this game with vanilla items only? in an "official" manner?

Officially, no.

There are The Orange Box versions of the game on 360/PS3, but the community is presumably dead.

Otherwise if you look hard enough you could probably find vanilla-only servers.

Jarate

Banned
Officially, no.

There are The Orange Box versions of the game on 360/PS3, but the community is presumably dead.

Otherwise if you look hard enough you could probably find vanilla-only servers.

I'm pretty sure the 360 version is still alive

TheSeks

why would you want to remove all the fun items anyway

I've been over this before. But I'll just point to the bolded in your quote and say "not for me."

I preferred launch TF2 (even with the balance issues) over the "SO WACKY XD!" level of items they've thrown at the game to make playing it a complete mess.

Russ T

Banned
yeah, wacky is not the word you want to use because it's not the right word

perhaps "different" is what you meant

Fandangox

I never understood the complains about TF2 losing its identity or whatever after many updates, the classes have never been hard to distinguish with one another despite the many aesthetic items and the only class that really changed dramatically from its core design due to the new weapons was demoman to demoknight. I can definitely see the appeal of playing vanilla TF2, but I just don't understand how anyone thinks the game is a mess because of that.

What made the game a mess was just people conflicting on the same server over just taunting and doing silly shit or just actually playing the objective.

Crayolan

I'm pretty sure the 360 version is still alive

Define alive. I played the 360 version for a bit back in like...2010 and it was already like 10+ minute waits for games, and only at certain times of day.

If it's still even in that state nowadays I'd be amazed.

Top Bottom