• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
poovine said:
I didn't think it was a reference at first since it takes so long to animate the shows, given the game just came out, but I guess the trailers been out for a while.

Well if you think about it.. TF2 beta was out what? very end of august? beginning september? Should give them enough time to animate that sequence and edit in.

Icy

Banned
Tuesday and Thursday nights will be TF2 NeoGAF Nights. Password will be on for strictly NeoGAF users with or without reserved slots!

Sounds good Icy. I'll be there both nights.

I had the most frustrating round on Granary where we had 4-5 Engineers...but only 9 players total. Yep, nothing like a great offense of ONE soldier and ONE scout. Only after we got destroyed did they learn to FINALLY switch classes.

Doytch

omgimaninja said:

I had the most frustrating round on Granary where we had 4-5 Engineers...but only 9 players total. Yep, nothing like a great offense of ONE soldier and ONE scout. Only after we got destroyed did they learn to FINALLY switch classes.

That game sucked balls.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:

ON THE NOEGAF Server?!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
omgimaninja said:

Those games are pretty awful. The worst is when they don't change and it's the same thing round after round.

Maybe someone can post the tues/thurs. TF2 as an event on the steam neogaf page.

Has anybody else seen when an Engi builds a Tele + Level 3 Sentry on the ROOFTOP to the B Base in Gravelpit? I've seen demo and soldiers up there but not sentries :lol It made for a fun round defending~

YakiSOBA

So, after playing this game since day 1 -- my roomate and I have gotten pretty good (on pub servers) -- we usually hit top 3 by the end no prob. Last week, we decided to try getting some clan actions, scrims, organized matches, league play, etc...

At the moment most clan games are 6v6, and I gotta say, TF2 is an entirely different game when playing 6v6 with 'cevo' rules (no 2x heavy, demo, etc..)

I can honestly say I'm the worst clan tf2 player in the world, or the clan I happened to join simply sux donkey balls T_T

YakiSOBA

theres a youtube video somewhere of it.. basically you go to the far entrance of that building (B) and build a dispenser, jump on it... then u can build a tele on the roof, teleport up, and voila

WARCOCK said:
Yeah if you do well on the neogaf server, it bares no indication of your actual skill in the outside tf2 "world". A living breathing example of this is that nub pillow knight.
:lol I'll beat your ass any day of the week, bring it on.

Jenga

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
At the moment most clan games are 6v6, and I gotta say, TF2 is an entirely different game when playing 6v6 with 'cevo' rules (no 2x heavy, demo, etc..)
That sounds lame actually.

1-D_FTW

That's a big reason I wasn't interested in the tournament (and I thought it started later than it did.)

From my limited experience, it just seems smaller play counts reward twitch over team tactics. I'm sure the good teams have honed team play to a science, but it just seems to be against the design of the game.

Icy

Banned
WARCOCK said:
Yeah if you do well on the neogaf server, it bares no indication of your actual skill in the outside tf2 "world". A living breathing example of this is that nub pillow knight.

Compared to other pubs.. my server does have some of the highest skilled players. Most regulars can jump onto any other random pub and pwn the shit outta fools. Then if you go onto organized clan servers with diehards who practice 6-10 hours a day.. yeah you get fucked in the ass hard.

Icy

Banned
Possible: NeoGAF TF2 Tournament.

Details: Will have soon. But basically a 1v1 points / ladder system.

Sponsors: I have 2 companies I'm talking with.. 1 is willing to offer up a brand new Intel Quad Core CPU and Motherboard (DDR3 compatible) high end shizzy.

Will let you guys know. :D

Jenga

Banned
Icy said:
Compared to other pubs.. my server does have some of the highest skilled players. Most regulars can jump onto any other random pub and pwn the shit outta fools. Then if you go onto organized clan servers with diehards who practice 6-10 hours a day.. yeah you get fucked in the ass hard.
Not to boast, but I love clan servers since they offer a real challenge. But...a pro heavy is fucking scary.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Icy said:
Possible: NeoGAF TF2 Tournament.

Details: Will have soon. But basically a 1v1 points / ladder system.

Sponsors: I have 2 companies I'm talking with.. 1 is willing to offer up a brand new Intel Quad Core CPU and Motherboard (DDR3 compatible) high end shizzy.

Will let you guys know. :D

Can't you just pretend i win , so i can have a PC that will run TF2? :D

Jenga said:
Not to boast, but I love clan servers since they offer a real challenge. But...a pro heavy is fucking scary.
Really? What servers are these, ive been trying to find servers with better players , since the quality of players on the server is usually shitty outside of the regulars.

Jenga

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Really? What servers are these, ive been trying to find servers with better players , since the quality of players on the server is usually shitty outside of the regulars.
Cc2iscool's server. Only bad thing about it...it's full of furries. It honestly doesn't bug me, but they're SERIOUS about it. But the server itself is great, custom maps and whatnot. A lot of the regulars are also highly skilled, and the regulars show up often enough to make a difference.

I've found other servers I liked, but ever since they've incorporated slot reservations, it's hard to get in.

Icy

Banned
PillowKnight said:

Hit up the pwnshop servers sometime.

keiichi

Hey TheStoryteller, sorry about earlier, hope you didn't switch to medic because of me, I wanted the other medic to uber you since you were the heavy.

firex

man... they have to put some kind of cooldown on the sapper. just had some spy an hour ago cheese the fuck out of it since it was either kill the sapper or kill him and I couldn't do both.

or I guess they could just make it knocked off with one shot. either way, on stage 3 of dustbowl I put up a sentry in the alternate exit and ducked behind it and for awhile it halted their offense, until my dispenser ran out and the entire team was spamming grenades/rockets at it.

Talamius

Ok, why does sudden death occur if a team is leading at the end of 2fort? That is a major annoyance because it encourages camping your base.

Just had that happen 2x :/

firex

oh man, SD on 2fort is... awful. and I think that's being kind about it.

I really need to get a better rig so I can have a much more stable framerate. and I don't blame the guy (Scoots, don't know if he's a GAF poster or not) for spamming sappers on my stuff, cause it's Valve who made that broken.

Cheeto

Teknopathetic said:
The GAF team in the TGL tournament, unfortunately, suffered horrible defeat today, knocking us out of the tournament.

We made second round, though! Good games all the unkind folks.
Sorry man, I'm in Las Vegas at the moment. That's why I wasn't around for last night's match. I'd be down for some casual ladder matches though if you or anyone else on the team wants to.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
oh man, SD on 2fort is... awful. and I think that's being kind about it.

I really need to get a better rig so I can have a much more stable framerate. and I don't blame the guy (Scoots, don't know if he's a GAF poster or not) for spamming sappers on my stuff, cause it's Valve who made that broken.
Well if you've got even one person there with you defending the spy isn't gonna get much done. Unless there are like five of 'em.

I don't see how it's broken.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firex said:
man... they have to put some kind of cooldown on the sapper. just had some spy an hour ago cheese the fuck out of it since it was either kill the sapper or kill him and I couldn't do both.
In that situation you either keep the sentry alive at all costs and hope the spy is stupid enough to attack you with an active sentry 2 feet away, or kill the spy with your wrench. :D

firex

yeah, I was doing my best to heal up the sentry but it was just constant spam. granted, the team sucked too, but it's cheesy as hell since it takes 2-3 whacks to destroy a sapper and they can just put it back on and chip away at your sentry's health. mine was too weak to do anything but try to keep it alive.

firex said:
yeah, I was doing my best to heal up the sentry but it was just constant spam. granted, the team sucked too, but it's cheesy as hell since it takes 2-3 whacks to destroy a sapper and they can just put it back on and chip away at your sentry's health. mine was too weak to do anything but try to keep it alive.
What i'd do in this situation is ignore the zapper and kill the spy, then heal the sentry. Obviously theres a few times when this isnt a good idea but often times it's the best option.

Rahk

PillowKnight said:
What i'd do in this situation is ignore the zapper and kill the spy, then heal the sentry. Obviously theres a few times when this isnt a good idea but often times it's the best option.
I haven't played as engineer, but I have as spy and this is probably your best bet. The spy shouldn't have had to spam zappers though, because if you went for it then he should have just been able to backstab you, or shoot you to death (unless there's another unsapped sentry, of course). If you're anywhere near the sentry when he zaps, you should be able to take him down in time save the sentry. Only takes one wrench hit, or a couple shots from your shotgun; I know this from the receiving end.

I don't think zappers are broken though. Spamming has disadvantages, since your team mates will most likely hear you constantly yelling out there's a spy and come to your aid, at least that's what I do when I hear engineers. I guess not everyone does.

1-D_FTW

PillowKnight said:

Exactly. If there's only one spy, get a location where your wrench will be whacking the spy as he approaches. Or better yet, as Pillowknight said, if you can get a momentary breather, pull the shotgun. And as soon as the sapper is being placed, blast him. Then blast him again. Spy's dead and you can rush to pull the wrench out before it explodes.

One on one versus a spy shouldn't be too difficult. It's when there's more than one spy and they're good and coordinated (or one spy leading the charge with good offensive classes behind.) And your teammates aren't rushing to help even though they keep hearing the engi screaming about spies.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Exactly. If there's only one spy, get a location where your wrench will be whacking the spy as he approaches. Or better yet, as Pillowknight said, if you can get a momentary breather, pull the shotgun. And as soon as the sapper is being placed, blast him. Then blast him again. Spy's dead and you can rush to pull the wrench out before it explodes.

One on one versus a spy shouldn't be too difficult. It's when there's more than one spy and they're good and coordinated (or one spy leading the charge with good offensive classes behind.) And your teammates aren't rushing to help even though they keep hearing the engi screaming about spies.

Better yet. Just blast everything that remotely gets near your shit!

firex

yeah, this just felt cheesy for me because I was desperately trying to heal my level 3 sentry with another engineer and some other people nearby, and none of them were hitting the guy sapping it pretty much out in the open. and I'd knock it off and it'd be back up again right away, but I didn't want to let my sentry die since their offense was pushing too.

fallengorn

firex said:
yeah, this just felt cheesy for me because I was desperately trying to heal my level 3 sentry with another engineer and some other people nearby, and none of them were hitting the guy sapping it pretty much out in the open. and I'd knock it off and it'd be back up again right away, but I didn't want to let my sentry die since their offense was pushing too.
This is where having a mike comes in handy.

Icy

Banned
fallengorn said:
This is where having a mike comes in handy.

mic.. unless you mean...

mikes6pack.gif

:D

Icy

Banned
Password is on for NeoGAF only night. I'll be on sometime tonight. and I am gonna stack the teams in Hitokage's hinderance.

Looking forward to matches with just GAFers tonight.

Icy, any update on rankings coming back online? I miss being able to check the stats for everything, especially K:D and weapon usage.

Icy

Banned
I was gonn have them online this past weekend but some personal issues arose and didn't happen. Plan is this weekend.

1-D_FTW

As of 8 PM est, Gaf night is a disaster. I joined with 6 players playing and it quickly dropped to 2 (and then 1 as I quit.)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Would be nice if it could be mentioned on the gaf steam group. Just to wake everyone up and let them know what's going on.

1-D_FTW said:
As of 8 PM est, Gaf night is a disaster. I joined with 6 players playing and it quickly dropped to 2 (and then 1 as I quit.)

The most we had was 8 but it was mostly 3v3. I'll join again later, once there is more in game. Smaller teams are only fun if you mess around with all the different classes.

fallengorn

evlcookie said:
Would be nice if it could be mentioned on the gaf steam group. Just to wake everyone up and let them know what's going on.
I brought it up before but I guess that didn't happen.

I was gonna join in at 9ish, I'll message a bunch-a-yous and see if we can pack the server.

Firestorm

I just got a mic. Picked up the Microsoft Lifechat LX3000 on sale. Price matched it for the 10% extra discount, was $20 + tax. Normally $80 :D

It's a USB mouse so I expect I'll have to set it up before playing. However, I also bought UR MR GAY and that comes first. Bad day for GAF night =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom