• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
I like trying new stuff. SNofort was the best fun last night. No one gave a shit about capping that intel. They just wanted ownership of the companion cube. Hell, half the time when people came into our intel room, the intel was ignored. And the companion cube was attempted of being saved by Pillowknight and his minions. lols. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I can see where that would be interesting.

But maps like Tooltown are just a mess. I'm pretty sure that map was broken up into stages. The first stages has numbers 4 + 3 all over the place. I'm searching for 1 and running in circles. I'm still not sure what the 1st capture was: 3 or 4.

Then you get to the second stage I think and that final capture point is: 1.) Right by the enemies respawn. 2.) Has absolutely no cover for the team capturing the CP. In fact, I think the defending team has all the good ground. 3.) It takes forever to capture the thing. We had a couple guys sitting on that thing pretty long and it would just slowly trickle down.

It didn't help that it was only 6v6, but how can these guys not realize you can only have 2 of the 3 things I listed above. Either move the respawn area much farther away, give the capturing team some defensive cover, or instead of making it a marathon capture, make it quick. It's amazing they think this is a good idea.

EDIT: I give the guys credit for being able to make these maps. They obviously have some talent. But some basic balance, please.

Icy

Banned
reason I say that aobut hydro.. I got like 20 people playing on Central on castle2, I left for a bit, came back and apparently everyone left within 10 minutes of hydro starting...

Icy

Banned
Just a reminder, we do have a public ventrilo. Free to anyone, anywhere to use.

I have a general lobby, UT3, Eve Online, CoD4, Crysis, TF2 East and Central, and World of Warcraft channels setup. Share with you friends and family. Use it and abuse it. 50 slot. Even has an afk/idling channel. Invite your clan/guild whomever. Feel free to shoot the shit anytime.

Server: VA1.LeetVent.com
Port: 3974
www.ventrilo.com

Kade

Hydro is my least liked map, but it's still awesome. I've had no problem with any of the maps on the server except for that rock tumbler one or w/e. Other than that, top notch selection.

Tooltown is a disaster; poorly built, lighting problems everywhere, and a nonsensical layout.

And avantiville is just as bad as ever. There's a certain threshold where a level is just too ugly to want to play. Four betas and the author still can't put a cubemap on the water in the well, or texture a huge wall and church with something other than plain concrete? Meh. At least he didn't screw up valve's layout, I suppose.

"reason I say that aobut hydro.. I got like 20 people playing on Central on castle2, I left for a bit, came back and apparently everyone left within 10 minutes of hydro starting..."

Wait was that earlier when I was playing with you? I left because the teams were getting really uneven and one guy there was starting to act like a douche. People were leaving when it was still castle

YYZ

Is there a team or clan? I'd really like to play this game with some true coordination and see how it goes.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Got this for Christmas and I have played a few games but don't really "get" it.

I'm a big CoD:UO fan, play with rifles (not sniper) mainly, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me make TF2 a fun thing to play. Got some tips? What class should I be playing with first as a TF2 noob? Thanks

1-D_FTW

Confidence Man said:
Tooltown is a disaster; poorly built, lighting problems everywhere, and a nonsensical layout.

And avantiville is just as bad as ever. There's a certain threshold where a level is just too ugly to want to play. Four betas and the author still can't put a cubemap on the water in the well, or texture a huge wall and church with something other than plain concrete? Meh. At least he didn't screw up valve's layout, I suppose.

Oh, man, I thought it was a death hole and instant death. I was like a ballerina tip-toeing around that thing.

But I'm no fan of that map either.

MrSardonic said:

I'm a big CoD:UO fan, play with rifles (not sniper) mainly, and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me make TF2 a fun thing to play. Got some tips? What class should I be playing with first as a TF2 noob? Thanks
Hard to say to be honest, might be good for you to start out as soldier.

What class were you playing last? Or maybe you should elaborate on what you don't get about the game.

Firestorm

MrSardonic said:

I started with Medic and followed people around to learn the maps better. You could try Soldier as they're the basic offense class.

usea

How can I get a reserved slot or something? Even with more than one empty slot on the server, I keep getting kicked due to reserved slots. I thought I had one, I had PMed my steam ID to Icy previously. I haven't been able to connect in a couple days.

1-D_FTW

I think he keeps two reserved so you don't have constantly imbalanced teams. Least I think that's what he changed to. Seems better now.

usea

I was playing, then one extra person joined so it kicked me off. When the player count rose to 23/24 I got kicked.

1-D_FTW

So I guess that does mean there's two reserved slots. Once you get a slot, you'll see it's better this way. Otherwise one team constantly has an extra player.

miyuru

I played a lot of sniper when I started, because I didn't really know what the role of the other classes was for each map/situation.

Medic is another good one for someone who's new.

1-D_FTW said:
I think he keeps two reserved so you don't have constantly imbalanced teams. Least I think that's what he changed to. Seems better now.
Oh i see. Kind of sucks though, even when theres two slots open and someone comes in, someone has to get kicked.

Firestorm

Yeah, isn't there a system where you can make it so there's always 24/24 and when someone joins another gets kicked off? Think that's how it worked in the CS server I used to play on.

Icy

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah, isn't there a system where you can make it so there's always 24/24 and when someone joins another gets kicked off? Think that's how it worked in the CS server I used to play on.

nope. if there's 24/24 no one can connect. the old way in counter strike servers was that if the server was full when someone connected you can have them auto redirected. Valve thought people didn't like it for 1 reason or another and took it out of TF2. Otherwise I would have the servers redirect to each other if they are full.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Lesson of the night: Demomen are cheap! :(

Anyway, managed to get a good connection over the power grid and played with a LOT less stress. So much more fun when you aren't fighting just to stay on. :D

rakka

anything i can do to make up for my terrible ping? its nearly 300 on the gaf servers most of the time

too many times i'm firing away with minigun at a player for like 10 seconds point blank range and he somehow still survives :p

Just a reminder, we do have a public ventrilo. Free to anyone, anywhere to use.

I have a general lobby, UT3, Eve Online, CoD4, Crysis, TF2 East and Central, and World of Warcraft channels setup. Share with you friends and family. Use it and abuse it. 50 slot. Even has an afk/idling channel. Invite your clan/guild whomever. Feel free to shoot the shit anytime.

Server: VA1.LeetVent.com
Port: 3974
www.ventrilo.com

Me and my two friends seem to be the only three who use this thing.

The ping is excellent, and the sound is crystal clear. I think it sounds better than my cell/house phone, actually, so you should all get in here.

MrSardonic said:

As certain other people here have said, you can't really start enjoying TF2 until you know the maps a bit. So choose medic, tag along with a heavy, soldier or demo (a good one helps, so look at the score board by pressing tab and take someone who's in the top3), start healing them, and learn the maps this way. Obviously, if someone besides your 'buddy' screams for a medic, heal them, but it's usually a good idea as a medic to have a primary healing target.

Trust me, TF2 is fun :D

Jacobi

Banned
I just wanted to share this very special moment in my life with you guys:
2002888254147770876_rs.jpg

:O :)

argh I let a friend of mine try out TF2 with my account and he just had to insult everyone on team before logging out, just to screw me up

oh well could be worse I guess

1-D_FTW

Jacobi said:
I just wanted to share this very special moment in my life with you guys:
2002888254147770876_rs.jpg

:O :)

I had a good run on that map. Moved onto that list by the time I was done. Wonder how far I'll drop in the next week.

Icy

Banned
YYZ said:
Why is there no official neogaf team!?

we tried it. You should try reading through the thread. Short of it, no one here has the time to dedicate to training for it.. 10 hours or so to be on par with some of the mid level teams. Ask warcock, teknopathetic, zanboo, pillow, etc./ They'll tell you. We're going to do an intra neogaf teams and tourney.

I'm planing on 6 man team setup, similiar restrictions on class (like the pro teams) and once setup we'll do 2 weeks of "practice" matches. and run it for a while. Should be fun.

I'll have a signup form and you can enter your availability times. And mark if you want to be a "team" captain. I'll choose some captains and they can draw/draft their teams from there. and we'll have several week nights and weekends (not everyone is available at the same time).. but we'll find a way to make it work for everyone.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I've been playing as the medic and adjusting to the style of TF2.

Was a bit hard coming from rifle-based CoD:UO play where I would only die a handful of times an hour and could kill off half a team single handedly.

But I'm getting into it now. The medic is actually pretty fun and I've finished top a few times with him. Even managed to get 6 kills in one spawn. I played as the scout for a bit too, but he just does so little damage it wasn't very satisfying. It was also difficult to get used to the slow walking pace of so many classes.

Anyway, hopefully a bit more time as the medic will help me decide what class to try out next. Thanks for the tips.

Icy

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Oh noes! I asked for a slot after the last batch was added and now it's too late.

So uh...does anyone else know of some good servers to play on?

Reserve slots are going bye bye after the new year (more on this at a later time).

MrSardonic said:

Was a bit hard coming from rifle-based CoD:UO play where I would only die a handful of times an hour and could kill off half a team single handedly.

But I'm getting into it now. The medic is actually pretty fun and I've finished top a few times with him. Even managed to get 6 kills in one spawn. I played as the scout for a bit too, but he just does so little damage it wasn't very satisfying. It was also difficult to get used to the slow walking pace of so many classes.

Anyway, hopefully a bit more time as the medic will help me decide what class to try out next. Thanks for the tips.
The scout is actually very powerful, kills most classes in 2-4 hits, for comparison's sake it takes 2-3 hits from a soldier to kill the majority of classes . Just be sure to time your shots so that you don't miss, and to aim for the head, it's also important to be somewhat close to the target. If you ever play the class again, work on your ambushing tactics, and work on deliberate use of his speed.

I'm glad you're liking the game though :D

Nakedsushi : If you want to play against skilled players CircleX Gaming #1 is pretty good. I can always get a good game there. I remember you were really good at engineer back when the beta started so im sure you'll be able to hold your own.

YYZ

Icy said:
we tried it. You should try reading through the thread. Short of it, no one here has the time to dedicate to training for it.. 10 hours or so to be on par with some of the mid level teams. Ask warcock, teknopathetic, zanboo, pillow, etc./ They'll tell you. We're going to do an intra neogaf teams and tourney.

I'm planing on 6 man team setup, similiar restrictions on class (like the pro teams) and once setup we'll do 2 weeks of "practice" matches. and run it for a while. Should be fun.

I'll have a signup form and you can enter your availability times. And mark if you want to be a "team" captain. I'll choose some captains and they can draw/draft their teams from there. and we'll have several week nights and weekends (not everyone is available at the same time).. but we'll find a way to make it work for everyone.
What are the pro teams class restrictions?

MrSardonic said:

Scout is actually one of the harder classes to learn because you really need to be very quick to avoid fire and hit people at the same time, considering you're going quite fast.

I assume you understand the ubercharge of the medic already? I've had a few medics who were new to it and did not realize they could make us invulnerable for a short time :D

Next class you may want to try is engineer. It's a more defensive class so you don't need to get in the thick of it right away, but it's also fun to play. You build sentry guns to protect the intel/cap point and build teleporters to help people move up to the front quicker. You also make dispensers that replenish health and ammo for all your teammates (and disguised enemy spies unfortunately :D )

"What are the pro teams class restrictions?"

The class restrictions most of the leagues use is 1 medic, 1 heavy, 1 engineer, 1 demo, 1 spy, 2 snipers, 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 2 pyros,

firex

I think engineer is pretty complex to get into, actually. Especially at this stage of the game. Like back in the beta, the engineer was easier to play because people weren't sure how to clear sentries easily aside from rockets/nades and sappers, and people didn't know the maps as well. now you really need to know a good choke point for a sentry or else you'll be a detriment to the team instead of a benefit.

firex said:
I think engineer is pretty complex to get into, actually. Especially at this stage of the game. Like back in the beta, the engineer was easier to play because people weren't sure how to clear sentries easily aside from rockets/nades and sappers, and people didn't know the maps as well. now you really need to know a good choke point for a sentry or else you'll be a detriment to the team instead of a benefit.

You got a point there.

Then I suppose soldier and demoman are best to try besides medic if you're new to the game.

Richardfun said:
You got a point there.

Then I suppose soldier and demoman are best to try besides medic if you're new to the game.

I think demo would be hard for someone new due to the bouncing of the 'nades and timing of the sticky nades.

Like someone else mentioned, medic is good if you want to learn the map. I usually go medic on a new or unfamiliar map and follow someone around.

Engie is rewarding to play for someone new since the SG would probably have better accuracy than you would at first, but like someone else mentioned, it takes some playtime to figure out where are good spots to place the gun and teleporter, not to mention where the ammo/metal spawning spots are.

Javaman

firex said:

Yeah, It seems like my performance is going down while others' is going up. I attribute some of that due to my building patterns being predictable. I've been changing things around some, but to do that it's usually necessary to build in a non-optimal area. Once people learn where the best places for turrets are on maps, they are much less likely to stumble upon them unprepared. Generally I try to keep teleporters behind my defensive line since they won't last long otherwise, but occasionally I'll put the exit in a "not so accessable spot" (like the building top just outside the cp2 on warpath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom