• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Yeah, i've stopped playing completely, the 5+ minute long map loading screen keeps me out.
I despise that about every Valve game ever. |:

In fact, if there's one complaint I have about the Source engine, that is it.

ice cream

Banned
What are you guys talking about? I doubt that's Valve's fault, more likely yours. Takes me probably about 30-45 secs to join a server.

Davidion

ice cream said:
What are you guys talking about? I doubt that's Valve's fault, more likely yours. Takes me probably about 30-45 secs to join a server.

Same here. If I'm downloading a custom map, the time required is anyone's guess considering the dependence on the server speed. Although, my load times are seldom longer than a minute.

Twig

Banned
Valve's games take considerably longer than other games I play. No matter how much I upgrade my PC, this will always be true.

Hell, World of Warcraft loads faster.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
They fixed the map loading issues awhile ago (for me at least), but the game still takes too fucking long to start from the desktop. That, and for some reason alt-tabbing takes forever. Really makes it a pain in the ass when there are other games to play now.

Davidion

Ysiadmihi said:
They fixed the map loading issues awhile ago (for me at least), but the game still takes too fucking long to start from the desktop. That, and for some reason alt-tabbing takes forever. Really makes it a pain in the ass when there are other games to play now.

Awww, don't leave us. :(

Twig

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
Yes, I should've said before that it's not JUST the map loading that takes forever.

And if I have to alt-tab, I usually just kill the process via the process manager. It's literally faster for me to just restart the game.

However, I usually have a DS handy to waste time so it's not a HUGE deal. Still annoying as hell, though.

Actually, it's only the first time. After the initial load when I first join a server, every map after that loads very quickly, it's the initial join that takes forever. I always assumed it was that VAC checking whatever. So i'm the only one?

As far as alt-tabbing goes, my patch-up solution is to play in windowed mode.

firex

before my old computer died, windowed mode >>>> fullscreen for performance, even at the same resolution (not native res though). and that was on an old athlon single core (xp2700+ was the actual processor, I think) with 1gb ram and a 6600gt video card.

Davidion

dionysus said:
Played that 2fast2furious server today, pretty good casual server with some very eclectic music selections being played.

There's actually an embedded music player with a selection of pre-uploaded music that you can listen to in-game.

Also, my OBMA tag became a meme there for a quick second when I first started playing there. :lol

Oreoleo

dionysus said:
Played that 2fast2furious server today, pretty good casual server with some very eclectic music selections being played.

Oh snap, I saw you on there earlier. Happened to be my first time playing on that server too. Fun maps (mostly) but the music got really annoying after a while.

Twig

Banned
rakka said:
windowed mode performance (at the same res setting) should be equal to or better than fullscreen, no?
Is it? I always assumed it would be worse, from past experience with windowed gaming. I figured it was because the video card wasn't fully devoted to rendering the game video and instead had to still keep track of everything else that was going on.

I don't know anything about it, though. So maybe my past experience was just bad luck.

Jacobi

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Yeah, i've stopped playing completely, the 5+ minute long map loading screen keeps me out.
Moar like 1-2 min. That's when i get a drink or sandwich or something. I play my daily 10-40 mins of dustbowl and that's still big fun to me mostly, except when the teams are unbalanced. It's still pretty fascinating how different games can play out on the same maps. BTW I just bought a 24"-screen, for some reason that gave me more motivation to play TF2, the game is much more fun on that compared to a 17"-one

dionysus

Yaldog
Orellio said:
Oh snap, I saw you on there earlier. Happened to be my first time playing on that server too. Fun maps (mostly) but the music got really annoying after a while.

You can also pick your own music to listen to. Type in chat "!plist" and it will bring up all the music. Also, !vol 4 will pretty much mute the music.

aznpxdd

The hell? It takes some of you guys 5+ mins to join a sever? Takes me 20 seconds at most (though I do have WD Raptor and 8GB of ram), but still, it doesn't take me that long to load on my old computer.

Twig

Banned
aznpxdd said:
The hell? It takes some of you guys 5+ mins to join a sever? Takes me 20 seconds at most (though I do have WD Raptor and 8GB of ram), but still, it doesn't take me that long to load on my old computer.
To start up the game AND join the server it usually takes me that long, yes.

*double-take*

Eight gigs?!

Crushed

Fry Daddy
(cries)

I have been neglecting this game due to Smash Bros. and my DS. Forgive me, TF2 friends.

My flames need rekindling.

Cheeto

PillowKnight said:
Actually, it's only the first time. After the initial load when I first join a server, every map after that loads very quickly, it's the initial join that takes forever. I always assumed it was that VAC checking whatever. So i'm the only one?

Yeah, thats the same deal with me. First server I join will load considerably slower then later joins. Doesn't seem to be VAC checking, I think that happens while you are playing, but rather asset loading and decompression. Looking at my performance monitor on my G15 while it is on the 'Retrieving Server Info' step, the RAM usage slowly creeps up by a percent a second up until around 50%. Faster Ram and Hard Drive might make it load faster, but really it's just inherent to the engine.

Firestorm

Ooh awesome so we can have all of them equipped at once? I'd equip the new Syringe Gun and Bonesaw for sure I think. Probably not the new Ubercharge though.

I don't think people will hate the new uber seeing as they hate that crits are so random. This is something you KNOW is coming.

fallout

TheOneGuy said:
I believe he is referring to certain individuals who absolutely detest crits. And an uber with 100% crits will drive them off into the nethers.
Yar. That was sort of the point.

Also, I'm not entirely pleased with what Valve is doing, here. People don't play the medic because it's a healing-role support class. That's it. The lack of any support-style offensive capability is kind of what kills it for a lot of people, I think (I don't mind, but we're not talking about me). Now, they're basically going for the achievement whoring types and what we'll get are a whole fuckton of medics for a little while, and then we'll go back to normal with people looking for SPECIFIC medics who have unlocked the crit-charging gun.

<TF2 P1> WE NEED A MEDIC
<TF2 P2> I would, but I don't have have the critgun.
<TF2 P1> Well, shit.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
fallout said:
Yar. That was sort of the point.

Also, I'm not entirely pleased with what Valve is doing, here. People don't play the medic because it's a healing-role support class. That's it. The lack of any support-style offensive capability is kind of what kills it for a lot of people, I think (I don't mind, but we're not talking about me). Now, they're basically going for the achievement whoring types and what we'll get are a whole fuckton of medics for a little while, and then we'll go back to normal with people looking for SPECIFIC medics who have unlocked the crit-charging gun.

<TF2 P1> WE NEED A MEDIC
<TF2 P2> I would, but I don't have have the critgun.
<TF2 P1> Well, shit.
If you look at the achievements list, there are going to be medics running around for awhile because some of them are just insane. I'm more worried medics are just going to get tunnel vision going after achievements when they should've been healing or ubering.

fallout

fallengorn said:
If you look at the achievements list, there are going to be medics running around for awhile because some of them are just insane. I'm more worried medics are just going to get tunnel vision going after achievements when they should've been healing or ubering.
Well, I was sort of thinking that people would just say "fuck it" partway through. I didn't really make my point too well, since I was running out the door at the time. It'll be interesting to see how the internet psyche reacts, at least.

Not that anyone really gives a shit, but I should say that I'm not really going to stop playing or anything. I enjoy the medic class, so this just gives me a little more reason to play it.

WhatRuOn said:
I'll still pick random.

Does it still behave like TFC, in that you spawn randomly each time you die? It seems like I tried it one time and got stuck with whatever it chose the first time.

I used to play random quite often in the TFC days, just to keep things fresh.

Cheeto

PotatoeMasher said:
Does it still behave like TFC, in that you spawn randomly each time you die? It seems like I tried it one time and got stuck with whatever it chose the first time.

I used to play random quite often in the TFC days, just to keep things fresh.
Nah, its chooses at random when you first select then sticks with it until you select again.

Icy

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
I believe he is referring to certain individuals who absolutely detest crits. And an uber with 100% crits will drive them off into the nethers.

This would be Teknopathetic. Yep. :D

cause..he sucks at TF2 and fails at UT3 :D

Slo

Looking at the achievement list, I'd say most of them are only going to be obtained by accident. You're going to have to poop-sock it to unlock the saw.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
TheOneGuy said:
Most people's complaint with crits is that they're completely random. This isn't. It's not the same at all.

Also, it shouldn't be hard at all to get 23 of the achievements. There are a bunch of no-brainer ones that any decent Medic will have in a day, and a bunch more that can be earned fairly easily with a little effort, especially if you get somebody to help you out. The real trial by fire is unlocking the ubersaw - 10 Million HP healed is 50-some hours of straight damage healing. Only long-term dedicated Medics will ever get that much.

And why would people only be looking for crit-uber Medics? It's situational, not necessarily better. Invuln ubers are still necessary for breaking turrets, at the very least.

Javaman

Zek said:
Most people's complaint with crits is that they're completely random. This isn't. It's not the same at all.

Also, it shouldn't be hard at all to get 23 of the achievements. There are a bunch of no-brainer ones that any decent Medic will have in a day, and a bunch more that can be earned fairly easily with a little effort, especially if you get somebody to help you out. The real trial by fire is unlocking the ubersaw - 10 Million HP healed is 50-some hours of straight damage healing. Only long-term dedicated Medics will ever get that much.

And why would people only be looking for crit-uber Medics? It's situational, not necessarily better. Invuln ubers are still necessary for breaking turrets, at the very least.

The problem I have with the achivements is how bad it'll break the team if the medics are focusing more on gaining the tough achivements rather then helping the team actually win.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Javaman said:
The problem I have with the achivements is how bad it'll break the team if the medics are focusing more on gaining the tough achivements rather then helping the team actually win.
Yeah, that is a problem. There are way too many stupid achievements like "needle fifty scouts" or "uber a punching heavy rofl." It's going to be unpleasant having Medics that still have to do this. Hopefully people will go to joke servers to get these since they'll be such a pain to do in real games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom